Observations from Colts/Bills

Guest dog14787

I take umbrage with TG's comment about Maybin. This is the second time in 6 days he played the whole game. He's getting the reps with the D Jauron would simply not allow. It's his first pre-season and I suspect he'll be starting @ OLB vs. Miami. Freak speed and experience. Not a bad combo.

But what do I know..

Sure, he needs the work. Freak speed means he can run himself out of a play much quicker than the others on the D-Line. He needs to show a lot more to live up to his 5 mil/year contract. We all know Bills fan's tolerence for 1st round picks has been non-existent since 2002, especially for holdouts.

If you overreact to the first game, you exposed yourself as a moron anyways. By the logic some displayed last week, the Bills are going to the SB now that they beat the Colts.

:worthy::ph34r: Biscuit you are so right on!

SUPER BOWL BILLS .... oh wait, this was another preseason game wasn't it?

But, some really good signs ... Bell at LT had a strong brief first game appearance albeit with some mistakes but I would think that anyone watching can see his potential to be at least a good LT in this league.

McKelvin had a game we have been waiting for! And, Kyle Williams is going to be a monster upfront.

Although only one pass got to Stevie Johnson it sounds like his route running is drawing attention.

There were more good things ... but now let's see what happens at THE RALPH versus Cincinnati. :thumbsup:

A big improvement over the first game both on offense and defense. The qb situation is still problemmatic. TE looked better but note that the td to evans was on a busted play with three backs in the lineup. Offensive line is somewhat better, and should get even better as the preseason goes on. I was most impressed with the receivers throughout the game. I think we'll be fine there. CJ Spiller was in a class by himself. He keeps that up he'll silence those who had a hard time with the pick at 9 (including me).

A big improvement over the first game both on offense and defense. The qb situation is still problemmatic. TE looked better but note that the td to evans was on a busted play with three backs in the lineup. Offensive line is somewhat better, and should get even better as the preseason goes on. I was most impressed with the receivers throughout the game. I think we'll be fine there. CJ Spiller was in a class by himself. He keeps that up he'll silence those who had a hard time with the pick at 9 (including me).

Me too T-boy! I was dumbfounded at the pick, but now I'm pumped! He's got the "IT" factor! I can smell Rookie of the Year!

A big improvement over the first game both on offense and defense. The qb situation is still problemmatic. TE looked better but note that the td to evans was on a busted play with three backs in the lineup.

I don't think that TD to Evans was a busted play at all. It was designed that way, the three backs were in there to confuse the Colts' defense and make the wary of the run, and it worked perfectly when they bit hard on the run and Evans was able to run through them to get wide open.

That play actually made me see the kind of thing that Gailey brings to the game as an offensive play designer that people have said of him--that he can design an offense to get the most out of the players he has, show them in a way that makes them look better than they have before.

It's only one play, in the pre-season, so I won't draw any big conclusions yet. But I know I came out of my seat when I saw it.

I don't think that TD to Evans was a busted play at all. It was designed that way, the three backs were in there to confuse the Colts' defense and make the wary of the run, and it worked perfectly when they bit hard on the run and Evans was able to run through them to get wide open.

That play actually made me see the kind of thing that Gailey brings to the game as an offensive play designer that people have said of him--that he can design an offense to get the most out of the players he has, show them in a way that makes them look better than they have before.

It's only one play, in the pre-season, so I won't draw any big conclusions yet. But I know I came out of my seat when I saw it.

The drag route from Johnson really sucked that last safety up as well.

Me too T-boy! I was dumbfounded at the pick, but now I'm pumped! He's got the "IT" factor! I can smell Rookie of the Year!

Ditto here, I didn't really understand the pick... and well... after seeing him run around, I understand it.

He does need to improve on cutting back on dancing behind the line though, that could be a killer.

and that is really what I am looking/hoping to see from the team this year. I'm an optimistic 5-11, and I'm ok with that if I see some change from the coaching aspect. Does the team have an actual gameplan? Does our offense suit our talent? Do we run certain plays to setup other plays (OMG, play-action works!)? Do we play tough and play TO WIN?

It would be a nice bonus if the players actually executed well, but I'm more interested in seeing a culture change. We can add talent from there. The past few years, it hasnt even been worth bringing in talent because the culture of this team wouldve just sucked it out of them anyways.

I guess that depends on your perspective. From my point of view, you are right. It was a perfectly designed play to draw the defenders in, and was executed to perfection. From the Colts point of view, it was a busted play - the defender was obviously suckered out of his zone.

Loved it!

I take umbrage with TG's comment about Maybin. This is the second time in 6 days he played the whole game. He's getting the reps with the D Jauron would simply not allow. It's his first pre-season and I suspect he'll be starting @ OLB vs. Miami. Freak speed and experience. Not a bad combo.

But what do I know..

Wait, what? When Maybin jumped from 234 at PSU to 249 at the Combine, his speed dropped precipitously, running a hugely disappointing 4.89 40. Maybin played in college at Rian Lindell's weight. He played at the same weight as Cincinnati safety Roy Williams. He showed no other moves than pure speed, and when he got up to NFL weight (if that's what you call it) he slowed down and has disappointed.

Now you say speed is one of his assets? He's still got some quickness I suppose, but there's no "freak speed" there, and his best experience is via Twitter. Not sure where your getting this optimism.

The crowd, however, got interesting in the final minutes. Perhaps the best play of the night: A Rogers Centre security guard chasing down a fan who sprinted onto the field with 1:55 left in the game. The fan had about a 20-yard head start, but the guard caught up to him and slammed his head to the turf. As the guard walked back past the Colts sideline, Wayne went out of his way to give him a high-five.

Does anyone know if there is video of this play. I wish they would have showed that last night.

I guess that depends on your perspective. From my point of view, you are right. It was a perfectly designed play to draw the defenders in, and was executed to perfection. From the Colts point of view, it was a busted play - the defender was obviously suckered out of his zone.

Loved it!

SS bit on the underneath route but Lee out ran the corner who couldn't drop fast enough and Trent dropped it along the right sideline over his shoulder far enough from the FS over the top to Allow Lee to hold stride.

Great play, great execution. RT did a nice job pushing out speed rush and Trent stepped up in pocket at the exact right time.

Did anyone see him chase down 4th string QB Tim Brandstater with two minutes left, get in on the tackle, then start yelling at him? Seriously? You're an unproven, disappointing-thus-far 11th overall draft pick, and your jawing at someone who's guaranteed to not be on the team in two weeks? Give me a break.

What the hell does it matter what he does ont he field outside of playing football? Not that I'm trying to say he played lights out or anything like that - he was average as a player and disappointing for a 1st round pick, but I don't get the logic of his enthusiasm making him a bad player. Maybe it just makes him an easy target. It's like the people who hate D Whitner because we didn't take Ngata.

What will be interesting is how Maybin develops on this team going forward and how quickly Nix looks to dump him if he doesn't improve, given that he wasn't one of his picks and isn't starting. I don't think expectations come into it for Maybin with this FO because they didn't take him in the draft and are probably just looking to see where they can fit him in. Maybe that says mroe about what they think of him than anything else - all these young players slotted to take over high profile jobs, witht he glaring exception of Maybin.

What the hell does it matter what he does ont he field outside of playing football? Not that I'm trying to say he played lights out or anything like that - he was average as a player and disappointing for a 1st round pick, but I don't get the logic of his enthusiasm making him a bad player. Maybe it just makes him an easy target. It's like the people who hate D Whitner because we didn't take Ngata.

What will be interesting is how Maybin develops on this team going forward and how quickly Nix looks to dump him if he doesn't improve, given that he wasn't one of his picks and isn't starting. I don't think expectations come into it for Maybin with this FO because they didn't take him in the draft and are probably just looking to see where they can fit him in. Maybe that says mroe about what they think of him than anything else - all these young players slotted to take over high profile jobs, witht he glaring exception of Maybin.

I don't hate Donte, and I don't really understand the hate for Donte. A little annoying when he assumes the role of captain, but at least he can make plays. Maybin's done...nothing. Literally. And he thinks a little too highly of himself considering that fact. Maybin needs to STFU and play. Taunting fourth stringers is embarrassing.

The TD was not a "busted play" the Bills lined up with three in the backfield and ran off of play action. The safety bit on the run fake and the Bills took advantage. The Bills offense set was designed to look like a power running play in order to fool the defense. It was just good coaching and good execution, not a busted coverage.