An idea for a new monthly thread

The Jokeman

I'm also currently starting to re-watch "The West Wing" online one-a-day. Really appreciating it more, 10 years on.

I got the complete series on DVD last Christmas, watching when I can. Currently I've got a couple of episodes to finish Season 6, then season 7 is the final season.

I got the complete series on DVD last Christmas, watching when I can. Currently I've got a couple of episodes to finish Season 6, then season 7 is the final season.

I loved Alan Alda's character of Arnold Vinick in those last two seasons.

Didn't agree with most of the politics, but it was a really well-written (minus some Laurence O'Donnell scripts), well-done show.

I'm also thinking it be better for movies available through Netflix and/or Video on Demand since going to the movies is cumbersome and everyone might not have the same cable subscription.

If it's confined to what's available on Netflix instant-watch, I'd be in.

I agree with the Netflix On Demand idea, and for the first movie I nominate The Men Who Stare At Goats, which was just recently added and I put in my instant queue

Perhaps there should be a poll to determine the movie order? Gather several recommendations every so often and let percentages determine the order?

I don't know tho. A month is quite a long time to keep up interest.

Keep a list of who wants in.

Each month, one person from the list starts a poll with 4-5 movies they'd like to see, say about the middle of the month

Everyone votes for one week, then close the poll

That will give everyone about a week to find and watch the selection

Starting on the 1st of the month, a new thread is opened for discussion of the selection.

As for order of who gets to pick, start with the OP the first month, then whoever is keeping the list of members, draws from a hat, throws a dart, cat pees on their name, etc, to choose whos next. No one can repeat until all members on the list have their month.

Perhaps there should be a poll to determine the movie order? Gather several recommendations every so often and let percentages determine the order?

I don't know tho. A month is quite a long time to keep up interest.

Keep a list of who wants in.

Each month, one person from the list starts a poll with 4-5 movies they'd like to see, say about the middle of the month

Everyone votes for one week, then close the poll

That will give everyone about a week to find and watch the selection

Starting on the 1st of the month, a new thread is opened for discussion of the selection.

As for order of who gets to pick, start with the OP the first month, then whoever is keeping the list of members, draws from a hat, throws a dart, cat pees on their name, etc, to choose whos next. No one can repeat until all members on the list have their month.

How about:

On the 1st of the month, whoever runs this opens a thread with title Movie of the Month: <month name>. Body of the 1st post is the name of the movie. OP then closes the thread and a mod pins at the top.

Wait a week for folks to see it

On the 8th of the month, reopen the pinned thread for discussion of the movie and debate over what's next.

Two weeks is plenty of time

On the 22nd of the month, whoever runs this closes the thread and opens a new poll thread with the choices for next month. Unpin the current months discussion thread and pin the poll for next month.

On the last day of the month, close the poll thread and have a mod unpin

Rinse and repeat

I watched 'Racing Stripes' last night with my daughter - can we start with that?

I've been watching Baby MacDonald with my daughter. The character development of the cow puppet keeps me coming back for another viewing. Plus the overhead shot of the wheat field is kinda cool.

How about:

On the 1st of the month, whoever runs this opens a thread with title Movie of the Month: <month name>. Body of the 1st post is the name of the movie. OP then closes the thread and a mod pins at the top.

Wait a week for folks to see it

On the 8th of the month, reopen the pinned thread for discussion of the movie and debate over what's next.

Two weeks is plenty of time

On the 22nd of the month, whoever runs this closes the thread and opens a new poll thread with the choices for next month. Unpin the current months discussion thread and pin the poll for next month.

On the last day of the month, close the poll thread and have a mod unpin

Rinse and repeat

Okay, I like your process better than mine. Just need to get a mod on board with the idea so we can pin it (or make me a mod, please?!?!)

Short Summary since the board change....

Jokeman went with /dev/null process

Jack does not have mod powers

Movie choices for Sept

• Men Who Stare At Goats
  • Rachael Getting Married
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • (500) Days Of Summer

I think there was one other I forgot.

Short Summary since the board change....

Jokeman went with /dev/null process

Jack does not have mod powers

Movie choices for Sept

• Men Who Stare At Goats
  • Rachael Getting Married
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • (500) Days Of Summer

I think there was one other I forgot.

It was actually Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the last one was Young Frankenstein but I was thinking of also adding Big Fan. As think it would be most fitting as this is a football fan message board and the movie about a football fan and feel it be a great way to "kickoff" things. Also in the initial voting thread I'm thinking of also including links to trailers to all the movies. I'll put up an official thread later.

Edited by The Jokeman