Gailey already blaming O-Line

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been folowing Flozell in Pitt? He came into camp late as he was a late sign and then missed some practice with a minor injury. He played a few series in preseason and didn't look great, but as good as any Bill so far either. I bet you that once the regular season starts he will be at least average which is more than anything we can hope for with our worthless bunch of tackles. He could have started at right tackle or been quality depth at either position. I guess you'd rather see Kirk Chamber instead of Flozell Adams!

You assume a lot. The Bills backups didn't give up any starts in DC and they ran the ball well too. What are you complaining about already? At least wait for them to give up some sacks before you start whining.

It's no great insight that we need help on the line. It's just as obvious to the folks at One Bills Drive as it is to us at Two Bill Drive.

But Nix/Gailey felt we needed a play-maker as much as needed a tackle and drafted Spiller in the first round. After that, they were underwhelmed with the choices. Should we have taken a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd rounds just to take a tackle - when they were obviously not confident in the ability of the tackles on the board to contribute?

And should we spend millions to sign a free-agent who couldn't even start on the Bills?

While it's obvious to everyone that we need more talent on the line, there just weren't a lot of great options this year.

It's time to implement the "Bills Rule." In the name of parity and competitiveness, the Bills will be allowed to draft players already under contract with other NFL teams for the rest of the decade.

With the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

I'd like to see exactly what this opinion is based upon. I'll say it again: Kirk Chambers or Flozell Adams?

Since out tackles are injury prone and stink once in the game, Kirk ends up with tons of PT. We could still go after Marcus Mcneil a probowl LT, didn't go after Jamal Brown who looked pretty good Friday. My point is we did NOTHING except get Cornholed.

I've got diehard Steelers friends who literally take a week off during summer and go to Latrobe to drink and watch training camp. We've debated the merits of the Bill's signing him when it was known we needed help and the conversation switched gears a bit when the Steelers got him. Naturally he was a topic of discussion when they got back from their trip. They said he was routinely beaten by their LBs in pass blocking situations (if he played OT here) and was also having problems w/ interior linemen (if he played inside here, however unlikely). I also saw the game, and while no scout myself, he didn't seem all that impressive.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

The magic runes are writ in gold to bring the balance back, bring it back

This team will not be built THIS year. It seems some people think it's possible. Let's find out what we have before kicking it to the curb and rebuilding again again. Just who the FA was or that stud LT in the 2nd round has escaped me.

Face it, there is no feasible way they can plug all the holes this year. And even if they did, it would get us to about 8-8.

Have you been folowing Flozell in Pitt? He came into camp late as he was a late sign and then missed some practice with a minor injury. He played a few series in preseason and didn't look great, but as good as any Bill so far either. I bet you that once the regular season starts he will be at least average which is more than anything we can hope for with our worthless bunch of tackles. He could have started at right tackle or been quality depth at either position. I guess you'd rather see Kirk Chamber instead of Flozell Adams!

You sound just like Chan Gailey to me.

Your defending this guy because he's a "brand name" player and already making excuses for him.

Adams would have been reaching for straws...

Flozell Adams...I've heard of him!

Yeah, he was signed as a right tackle.. Not a left tackle.. He lost a step and isn't a viable LT. Is he any better than Green on the right side? Doubtful.

The quote was from yesterday in response to a question as to why Trent didn't throw downfield Friday night against the Skins.

Maybe because we were down 3 starters? The right side of the line was terrible with Chambers and Cordero..

This team will not be built THIS year. It seems some people think it's possible. Let's find out what we have before kicking it to the curb and rebuilding again again. Just who the FA was or that stud LT in the 2nd round has escaped me.

Face it, there is no feasible way they can plug all the holes this year. And even if they did, it would get us to about 8-8.

Problem is they've had 10 years to PLUG HOLES and we now have more holes than a block of swiss cheese. How many times am I gonna hear "can't be done in a year" or "takes 2-3 years for a rebuild to come together" or "I have a wait and see attitude" or "it's only the first pre/reg/season game, first year, second year etc" or "there was no good free agents or draft picks where we picked anyway" ,so lets get another RB when we have 2 starters.

As long as Ralph has fans like you who make excuses for the terrible decisions made by HIS staff year after year he's got no reason to change the way he runs the team. False hope, marketing gimmicks are provided by OBD each year and the lemmings continue to jump over the cliff.

I agree with your last sentence, but not your first. Here's the quote from Gailey (via Chris Brown):

“No, I’d rather [Trent] make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

Gailey goes out of his way to deflect all blame away from Trent. I understand that he wants to give Trent every opportunity to succeed, and that means propping up his confidence, etc. I get that. But by refusing to acknowledge the very real problems with Trent's game, Gailey just keeps reinforcing them. Implying that Trent has consistently been making the right reads is just nonsense, and I hope Gailey knows it. You can't tell me that a checkdown on 3rd and 13 with no pass rush is the right read.

I think Gailey's attempt to protect Trent by putting the blame on himself (and the O-line) is only going to hurt Trent even more in the long run.

I think i'm interpreting this a bit different than most other people. The '...I'd rather Trent make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities' to me means that if he's checking down when other guys are open, the problem is on Trent. If he's always throwing those under 4 yard passes because nobody is open, then the offensive scheme we're running is not effective enough.

”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

I think this sums it up pretty well. To me this is his clarification of what he had said before.

Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

You gotta have the whole quote for this as the 'our protection has to get better' isn't specifically for Trent, it's for everybody. It also happens to be 100% true. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life.

Jonathan Scott performed well for the Stillers.

Why is Chambers on this team instead of him? It doesn;t make any sense since Chambers was cut last year.

It has been no mystery that the Bills FO cant judge talent. Just look at who their scouts have determined worthy of a first round selection vrs the players they apssed over. Look at jackson who was third fiddle to A. Thomas. J. Greer, J. Leonard etc.

These evaluations are not just on the coaching staff, but also on the scouts. NFL scouts SCOUT THEIR OWN TEMS DURING TRAINING CAMP - and advise the coaches who to cut/who to retain. I would assume the coach has final say but he does get lots of imput from the scouting staff. The Bills have been FAR FAR FAR below par in this area for over a decade. They need an improvement in this area more than QB...

I've got diehard Steelers friends who literally take a week off during summer and go to Latrobe to drink and watch training camp. We've debated the merits of the Bill's signing him when it was known we needed help and the conversation switched gears a bit when the Steelers got him. Naturally he was a topic of discussion when they got back from their trip. They said he was routinely beaten by their LBs in pass blocking situations (if he played OT here) and was also having problems w/ interior linemen (if he played inside here, however unlikely). I also saw the game, and while no scout myself, he didn't seem all that impressive.

FWIW, and I am not defending Adams, but no Ts can block harrison/Woodley/Timmons/Harris. Blocking Maybin/Ellis/etc is much different.

I think i'm interpreting this a bit different than most other people. The '...I'd rather Trent make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities' to me means that if he's checking down when other guys are open, the problem is on Trent. If he's always throwing those under 4 yard passes because nobody is open, then the offensive scheme we're running is not effective enough.

”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

I think this sums it up pretty well. To me this is his clarification of what he had said before.

Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

You gotta have the whole quote for this as the 'our protection has to get better' isn't specifically for Trent, it's for everybody. It also happens to be 100% true. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life.

word.

what he said was 100% true, and you have to be working pretty hard to assume that what CG said enables Trent in some way (as was pointed out a few threads back). and honestly, absent the context provided by knowing the discussions CG is having with TE privately, in a professional setting----reading anything more into this is pretty hard to do. perhaps he's lighting TE up for his performance last week, privately. perhaps he threatened to take away the number one spot, or maybe he thinks it's a work in progress.

oh, and i loved this part of his statement:

And I have to give him enough opportunities'

yes, 100%, yes.

Ugh is right! i see Peyton Manning rushing his throws and he still manages to complete them while taking a hit. Let's scrutinize Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, RIvers, Eli, etc... These guys are scrambling for their lives and still make plays! NO TEAM has a flawless O-line. QB's still have to make plays. I'm not saying the O-line doesn't need to get better but the QB's here give them no help whatsoever.

Your spot on with Rodgers and Rivers, Ben too although he just huge and hard to get to the ground. Makes throws with guys hanging on. Rodgers is awesome no excuses no constant check downs. Manning however no way, if Peyton has to move his feet at all the balls in the ground. Point well taken though -

Who's happy with their o-line ? All I ever here is teams trying to strengthen or fix the offensive line.