Lee Evans vs Miles Austin

Talley56

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an insider link on espn.com that reads "FBO: How Lee Evans trumps Miles Austin". Does anyone here have insider? I would love to know what this article says.

I have Insider, and to answer your original question: The article is just about how Football Outsiders expects a few players, including Lee Evans, to increase their "YAC Plus" statistic this year, while they expect a few other players, including Miles Austin, to decline in this category.

"YAC Plus" is essentially how many yards MORE than the typical YAC a player gets for a specific pass reception scenario (so if an 8 yard pass to the left typically results in a YAC of 3, and Lee Evans got 4 yards, then he'd have a YAC Plus of 1). They average your YAC Plus for every reception and compare to other players. They expect Lee's to rise and Austin's to fall.

Football is a but four-act play that has been on the stage, untold thousands of times. Everything that is needed to be known about it happened a long time ago.

After a while, you learn that you don't need to watch another one to draw some conclusions.

Got it. So you see a high salary with not so high numbers, and automatically assume that the player is loafing it and collecting a paycheck.

Next time try to watch a Bills game or two before opening your mouth and making incorrect assumptions about the players and how they play.

If I could put Jerry Rice in his prime on a Bills' team, we'd be talking about how gritty, spot-on, and resourceful those quarterbacks were.

Hard to know since Jerry never had to want for a decent QB. He played with two of the best All Time.

But Rice in his early days would have been trashed by this group. In case you are too young to remember*, Rice struggled in his first few games. He even questioned whether he had what it took to play in the NFL. Like Andre Reed, Rice would drop easy passes...but that didn't last long.

Mostly though, WRs are at the mercy of the QB. Sure, the great ones really help the QB look good, but ONLY if the QB actually throws them the ball.

*I kill me!

Que irrational Bills fan: "For the money he makes, he should."

Exactly right.

Evans is our most talented player on offense. Would I rather have a legit #1 like Larry Fitzgerald? Yes. Does Evans deserve to make as much money as Fitz and other premier receivers? No. But the NFL doesn't work that way. If you drafted (or signed) a guy who pans out, you have to pay market rates to keep him.

Just like the people arguing there was some magical "find some decent guy for $5 million per year" solution to the Jason Peters impasse.

It's not how it works. Do you want to pay decent guys market rate (when they might not technically be worth it)? Or do you want to keep allowing guys to walk and miss the playoffs for 11+ years?

Got it. So you see a high salary with not so high numbers, and automatically assume that the player is loafing it and collecting a paycheck.

Next time try to watch a Bills game or two before opening your mouth and making incorrect assumptions about the players and how they play.

I've seen enough of Evans to realize his M. O. According to you, I have to watch every play of his 6 year career to dare utter a comment.

You have never ever seen me. Who are you to imperiously deem my observations incorrect?

Got it?

Edited by stuckincincy

I've seen enough of Evans to realize his M. O. According to you, I have to watch every play of his 6 year career to dare utter a comment.

You have never ever seen me. Who are you to imperiously deem my observations incorrect?

Got it?

You are on record as saying you see very few, if any, Bills during the year. This is evidenced by your weekly complaining of having to see Cincy/Pitt games where you live, and the Dallas game at 4.

I'm deeming your observations incorrect on the fact you haven't seen Evans play a ton, and the fact that i have. Does Evans throw the ball to himself? Nope. He can't control Edwards being a candy-ass and checking down on every single pass play. I'm deeming it incorrect based on the fact that I and others have been to live games and have seen Evans (and other WRs) running free and watched Edwards completely ignore him.

There are many problems on this team. Lee Evans is not one of them. Evans is a gamer who would be wildly successful in a competent offense with a good QB. Notice how the last time the Bills had a good statistical season by a QB, Evans put up 80-1000-8. Not too shabby.

You are on record as saying you see very few, if any, Bills during the year. This is evidenced by your weekly complaining of having to see Cincy/Pitt games where you live, and the Dallas game at 4.

I'm deeming your observations incorrect on the fact you haven't seen Evans play a ton, and the fact that i have. Does Evans throw the ball to himself? Nope. He can't control Edwards being a candy-ass and checking down on every single pass play. I'm deeming it incorrect based on the fact that I and others have been to live games and have seen Evans (and other WRs) running free and watched Edwards completely ignore him.

There are many problems on this team. Lee Evans is not one of them. Evans is a gamer who would be wildly successful in a competent offense with a good QB. Notice how the last time the Bills had a good statistical season by a QB, Evans put up 80-1000-8. Not too shabby.

I'm glad you read my posts. :D

I don't need to see him play a "ton", as you have. I'm fairly quick on the uptake. Plus I have the pleasure of reading thousands of posts through the years, giving me some more insight about Mr. Evans. Unless you think all those posters are also a bunch of ignorant asses.

"Gamer." From time to time, either side of the ball, there are players who dig deep and forge a victory out of improbable, seemingly impossible situations. How often has Evans done that? Does he fight for the last inch, play after play? Would you number him among receivers who come back into a play to help out his qb in trouble - he's often open, as you say.

I'll take a Wayne Chrebet over a Lee Evans any day.

Exactly, like someone else said in this post, when you don't have any help around you and your quarterback play and offense line play are terrible, even the best players in the league can be average at best. You can put Jerry Rice in his prime on this team for the past 5 seasons and he is an average player-at best. What great receivers have had terrible quarterbacks throwing to them-None that I can think of.

Randy Moss in MN

I don't need to see him play a "ton", as you have. I'm fairly quick on the uptake. Plus I have the pleasure of reading thousands of posts through the years, giving me some more insight about Mr. Evans. Unless you think all those posters are also a bunch of ignorant asses.

"Gamer." From time to time, either side of the ball, there are players who dig deep and forge a victory out of improbable, seemingly impossible situations. How often has Evans done that? Does he fight for the last inch, play after play? Would you number him among receivers who come back into a play to help out his qb in trouble - he's often open, as you say.

That's a bit ridiculous don't you think?

Evans is our most talented player on offense.

First, no he's not.

Second, the front office must agree with you because they pay him as such. Actually, he's one of the higher paid receivers in the league. Congratulations Gabe. If you were GM you too would have driven this franchise into the dirt.

Third, let's assume we live in an alternate universe and I'm wrong and Evans is in fact our best player on offense. Then boy doesn't that just speak volumes about the utter lack of talent on this basement dwelling team?

Smell that?

That's a big heaping pile of s*it coming your way this year. Enjoy!

"Hate on" - what an unfortunate contemporary usage of our language. More unfortunate - offer a differing opinion on anything, and expect hateful accusation and/or insult. What a sniveling, thin-skinned, cry baby society we have these days. :D

so you fire back with a diatribe of crap that the product of a thin-skinned, whineyassed society would,.....novel

I completely disagree with anyone that says Evans stinks. When the ball is put near his hands, how many times can you think of where Evans has dropped the ball? It may be debatable whether Evans is getting open or not, but I can assure you that if I were the QB, Evans wouldn't have many catches no matter how open he is. My point is how can anyone judge Evans with the current clowns under center?

Here's an article reiterating the fact that Evans has great hands:

http://www.aaronschatz.com/stat-analysis/2...nsive-drop-rate

"As for the receivers with the best hands? Five players were not registered with a single drop, including Greg Camarillo (73 targets), Robert Meachem (66), Pierre Thomas (45), Brian Westbrook (34), and Delanie Walker (33). T.J. Houshmandzadeh only dropped two passes on 140 targets, which seems like a function of his usage pattern, but it's hard to reconcile that logic when Lee Evans only dropped one of the 95 targets thrown to him.

Finally, the two-year totals (minimum: 30 targets in each season). The "best hands" group would have made for a hell of an offense in their respective peaks, with Brian Westbrook (0.9 percent Drop Rate) at halfback, Sidney Rice (1.3 percent) and Lee Evans (1.5 percent) at wideout, and Tony Gonzalez (1.7 percent) catching whatever's left at tight end.

The offense on the other side of things would not be as effective; in fact, most of the players involved are available for pretty cheap these days. Marshawn Lynch (15.4 percent Drop Rate) is the halfback, James Jones (9.8 percent) and Mark Bradley (9.3 percent) are the wideouts, and Donald Lee (12.5 percent) is the tight end."

I completely disagree with anyone that says Evans stinks. When the ball is put near his hands, how many times can you think of where Evans has dropped the ball? It may be debatable whether Evans is getting open or not, but I can assure you that if I were the QB, Evans wouldn't have many catches no matter how open he is. My point is how can anyone judge Evans with the current clowns under center?

Here's an article reiterating the fact that Evans has great hands:

http://www.aaronschatz.com/stat-analysis/2...nsive-drop-rate

"As for the receivers with the best hands? Five players were not registered with a single drop, including Greg Camarillo (73 targets), Robert Meachem (66), Pierre Thomas (45), Brian Westbrook (34), and Delanie Walker (33). T.J. Houshmandzadeh only dropped two passes on 140 targets, which seems like a function of his usage pattern, but it's hard to reconcile that logic when Lee Evans only dropped one of the 95 targets thrown to him.

Finally, the two-year totals (minimum: 30 targets in each season). The "best hands" group would have made for a hell of an offense in their respective peaks, with Brian Westbrook (0.9 percent Drop Rate) at halfback, Sidney Rice (1.3 percent) and Lee Evans (1.5 percent) at wideout, and Tony Gonzalez (1.7 percent) catching whatever's left at tight end.

The offense on the other side of things would not be as effective; in fact, most of the players involved are available for pretty cheap these days. Marshawn Lynch (15.4 percent Drop Rate) is the halfback, James Jones (9.8 percent) and Mark Bradley (9.3 percent) are the wideouts, and Donald Lee (12.5 percent) is the tight end."

Isaac Newton: "To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction."

Don't forget Calvin Johnson in Det either...

Evans stinks.

Yet, through their first 3 years in the league, Evans had more touchdowns than Johnson. and Johnson played for Mike Martz who threw the ball every down. Hell, Kitna is better than any QB Lee has ever had and passed for 4,000 yards twice. Our QBs struggle to get 3,000.

I like you Cincy but the only way you believe this statement is if you are the biggest racist on the planet. Chrebet would have been similar to Josh Reed in our "offense" during Lee/ Josh's years on the Bills.

Yet, through their first 3 years in the league, Evans had more touchdowns than Johnson. and Johnson played for Mike Martz who threw the ball every down. Hell, Kitna is better than any QB Lee has ever had and passed for 4,000 yards twice. Our QBs struggle to get 3,000.

Good. So if we're picking players...

...you can have Evans. I'll even throw in a Jacoby Jones for ya (seeing as they are about equal).

I'll take Johnson.

Let's see who comes out on top with that one.