Gailey's thoughts on Brohm's strengths

bfw1234

what mid-major college? Brohm had his team at the top of national rankings I think when he was in college and won MVP at a BCS bowl. he wasn't an obscure qb no one knew until the draft a'la JP Losman or TE but rather he was a major pro prospect

So then you are of the stance that if a drafted QB doesnt perform in year 1 in the NFL then he is a bust?

No year 1 is not a bust, ive said it on other threads. Obviously he performed so poorly at GB that he was relegated to the practice squad.... not something you do with someone with obvious talent. If GB thought he was just learning they wouldve let him ride it out a la peyton manning etc.

They didnt.

He hasnt been able to overshadow TE ( who i dont like) even though theyve had the same amount of time learning the plays and had equal reps in OTA.

Just watch, thurs night he wont show much (hard for any QB) and you will all be singing a different tune.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No year 1 is not a bust, ive said it on other threads. Obviously he performed so poorly at GB that he was relegated to the practice squad.... not something you do with someone with obvious talent. If GB thought he was just learning they wouldve let him ride it out a la peyton manning etc.

They didnt.

He hasnt been able to overshadow TE ( who i dont like) even though theyve had the same amount of time learning the plays and had equal reps in OTA.

Just watch, thurs night he wont show much (hard for any QB) and you will all be singing a different tune.

I am not saying he is going to be any good, all I want is to he him get a shot as he still has potential where the others dont. You and a few others are the ones making proclamations about a QB who has just one start under impossible circumstances in his first 2 seasons.

So then you are of the stance that if a drafted QB doesnt perform in year 1 in the NFL then he is a bust?

Last time I checked, wasn't Brohm cut from the Packers????? He couldnt even make it as a 3rd stringer there. Furthermore, Brohm wasn't exactly a world beater in his start last season.....also, Brohm did not win the QB competition during camp, he didn't even come in 2nd place...you guys need to relax with all of this back up qb talk...its ridiculous....Gailey is the coach and its in his best interest to start the best guy for the job.....thats why TE is the qb...simple as that....if Gailey felt someone else was better they would be starting

So basically its just blind faith in another teams castoff?

Can anyone name one franchise QB who failed with one team but was reborn on another:?

Steve Young (TB to SF)

Rich Gannon sucked for years then had several solid season for Oakland

They didnt.

If Brohm sucks we'll still be singing the same tune, that our QBs suck. Right now Brohm is unknown so let's see how bad he sucks.

I am not saying he is going to be any good, all I want is to he him get a shot as he still has potential where the others dont. You and a few others are the ones making proclamations about a QB who has just one start under impossible circumstances in his first 2 seasons.

No proclaimations about Brohm, he hasnt shown anything at all, good or bad really. i guess its just unfounded optimsim is a practice squad QB.

Maybe he's the chroise part duex.

the original issue here is that according to Gailey, Brohm's only issue is working on contiual accuracy.. therefore, the thought is that he needs playing time to develop. If he only has one "issue" according to the head coach, I wonder how many "issues" TE and Fitz have b/c I can count more than one each; therefore by my powers of deductive reasoning, Brohm should be the starter b/c he has the fewest "issues"

this argument exptropalates from the premise laid out by Gailey - that Brohm has one issue to work on

he is not very accurate on the deep ball in games (see the mile he over threw Steve Johnson on Friday who was wide open). And lets not forget how much air he puts on his deep ball allowing DB's to close in on the WR.

Aren't these things contradictory? He puts too much air under his deep passes so the DB catches up to the receiver, but he overthrew Johnson on a deep pass?

yeah, I don't disagree, but as been pointed out many times, TE is, for the most part, the best QB in OTAs, mini-camps, and TC, but wilts when the real bullets start flying.

I agree with Alphadawg that 1 preseason game isn't enough to can him, but after 2 starts, he better show a huge improvement in that department or changes have to made. The real question is what will Chan do if TE shows the same behavior on Thursday.

I agree that this Thursday game is a big deal for Edwards. If he can't move the team or otherwise screws up, Gailey has to think about going with one of the other quarterbacks--unless they prove to be equally inept against the Colts. This actually make for an interesting preseason game.

I also want to see whether the defense and special teams can bounce back from bad performances, and whether Bell and Wood get some playing time on the o-line, and how the line looks with them in there.

I've stated many times already and will repeat that, on Sept. 12, the QB 'pecking order' will be...

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #2 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - Clipboard

Trent Edwards - President - Dakota Fanning Fan Club, Los Gatos Chapter

:censored:

I love it.

:flirt:

I hear Dakota digs mutton chops.

:censored:

I love it.

:flirt:

I hear Dakota digs mutton chops.

did TE actually cite Fanning as favorite actor? I think he must play games with the media b/c he told Buff News that Counting Crows in high school was the best concert he has seen? really?

did TE actually cite Fanning as favorite actor? I think he must play games with the media b/c he told Buff News that Counting Crows in high school was the best concert he has seen? really?

He really does have an abnormal fascination with her. It's on his Stanford bio and I've heard him mention her on 2 different radio interviews.

I agree that this Thursday game is a big deal for Edwards. If he can't move the team or otherwise screws up, Gailey has to think about going with one of the other quarterbacks--unless they prove to be equally inept against the Colts. This actually make for an interesting preseason game.

I also want to see whether the defense and special teams can bounce back from bad performances, and whether Bell and Wood get some playing time on the o-line, and how the line looks with them in there.

Gailey already made excuses for Captain Checkdown on BB.com.

"I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

He completely misses the fact that Trent refuses to throw past 4 yards even if the players are open espically in the redzone.

I like your ideas here except I could honestly see things playing out this way:

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

TBD Veteran Backup (possibly released from another team or in the CFL/UFL)

Bad Bad Levi Brown - #3 QB

I really don't know who is out there as a vet right now but I'm sure there is going to be at least a couple on the wire before the season starts that are better than TE and RF. I do think though that Chan would stick with BB as his starter and the vet being brought in strictly as a #2 to help him and teach Levi.

Fitz isn't a bad guy to have on the team either but it is time to cut our losses with Trent. He is a workout warrior, so to speak, being that guy that lights it up in Training Camp. Once the bullets start flying though, he looks as if he has never taken a snap from center.

I agree I think Brohm will start with a vet brought after last cuts and brought in too late to win the starting job for week one. But has the controls by game three possible game two because it's going to be Thigpen

Gailey already made excuses for Captain Checkdown on BB.com.

"I’d rather him make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

He completely misses the fact that Trent refuses to throw past 4 yards even if the players are open espically in the redzone.

if this is true, this is very troubling

I believe that the competition is still open. Gailey surely looked at a lot of film of the last 2 seasons. When T.E. came out and put all of his bad habits on display vs. the Skins, he didn't do himself any favors. He certainly didn't stake a claim for the starting job. IF T.E. sucks out loud and Brohm does well on Thursday, I bet we get to see Brohm with the starters.

disturbed. obviously chan didn't watch the game where the captain was benched last year b/c his recievers were briging his suck to the attention of the coach on sidelines

My hope is that Chan is really giving Edwards a clean slate and trying to give Edwards some confidence to overcome his chronic checkdown syndrome. Then after seeing this for a few preseason games and watching the tape Chan will end the Edwards experiment once and for all.