The Problem at Quarterback

youngunz

Sorry if this has been debated

As I watched the first week of preseason (including that shameful performance on Friday), I started to see why the Bills have had such a hard time to replace Jim K. After the Todd Collins experiment (who I would be happy with today), the organization made a commitment to having a mobile quaterback (not running) like Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, J.P., Trent, etc. However, what they failed to realize is that you need a quaterback who is willing to step up in the pocket with the rush coming and deliver the ball. Granted our laundry list of QB's who have taken snaps have accumalated their fair share of sacks, but for the most part that is not because they are willing to be hit to make a play, but rather because they believe they can run to evade the sack or just cant read defenses. Even in tonights game, when you look at the QB play, passes were completed (better yet attempted) down field because these guys were willing to look down field and step up and make a throw.

Just my Opinion

Stepping up in the pocket probably has little to do with a QB's running ability nor their toughness. I would guess it has everything to do with their ability to read a defense and deliver the ball on time. GB's line was as bad as the Bills last year and he completed a ton of balls to WR's little better than TO and Evans.

As I watched the first week of preseason (including that shameful performance on Friday), I started to see why the Bills have had such a hard time to replace Jim K. After the Todd Collins experiment (who I would be happy with today), the organization made a commitment to having a mobile quaterback (not running) like Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, J.P., Trent, etc. However, what they failed to realize is that you need a quaterback who is willing to step up in the pocket with the rush coming and deliver the ball. Granted our laundry list of QB's who have taken snaps have accumalated their fair share of sacks, but for the most part that is not because they are willing to be hit to make a play, but rather because they believe they can run to evade the sack or just cant read defenses. Even in tonights game, when you look at the QB play, passes were completed (better yet attempted) down field because these guys were willing to look down field and step up and make a throw.

Just my Opinion

Granted post Jim Kelly QB's for the Bills have not had much success. The QB in question has to take blame but their chances of success have been hindered by poor offensive line play. IMO, much the same can be said about this year too.

Name one member of Jim Kelly's line that wouldn't start today on nearly any team, now name one that is currently on the Bills that would start on any other team but the Bills. Get the picture now? Game 1 pre-season, 2 starters = no chance.

I think that our QB situation is in dire straights but our O-line and other surrounding offensive talent hasn't been much help in recent years either. I think if we went out and drafted Oher 11th overall we would be seeing a better offensive unit then we have now. We don't have a good QB nor do we have the offensive talent to breed or at least carry a QB to success.

,quote name='Skoobydum' date='Aug 16 2010, 11:11 PM' post='1935140']

Name one member of Jim Kelly's line that wouldn't start today on nearly any team, now name one that is currently on the Bills that would start on any other team but the Bills. Get the picture now? Game 1 pre-season, 2 starters = no chance"

When will u losers stop making excuses for TRENT?

Heres how u all sound....

"umm derrr me smmart, me say offensive line no good"

"mommy, why doesnt trenty play good anymore like that time when i put his poster in my room and bought his jersey?"

"um yes it's the receivers and rb's fault, yes yes thats it, they are the reason, Lee evans is not good at all."

I cant believe people still get on here and say the same stupid thing, Trent is clueless and sucks really bad, not a little, hes not "ok". he sucks in every single facet of quarterbacking . he still runs sideways and backwards like a rookie when under pressure for christs sake.

he doesnt step up, throw hard, read defenses or make the right throw for down and distance, he cant anticipate at all, he fakes his reads and waits for the dump no matter what and never improves game to game, he is a total fraud and is milking idiot fans and coaches for as many games in the nfl as he can get. when will u people realize what a joke he is and stop blaming the entire offense?

"Mommy trent was 5 and 1 mommy 5 and 1! mommy he was 5 and 1" ...get over it!

Guest dog14787

Gailey: "But in order for the passing to get better, the protection has to get better. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running for their life back there."

You guys get it????????????? QB's need protection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LORD, STEP UP INTO WHAT, THE BACKSIDE OF YOUR O_LINE THAT IS GETTING BLASTED BACKWARDS OFF THE BALL LIKE A BUNCH OF FRIGGIN RAG DOLLS????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE SOME OF YOU BLIND OR JUST THAT STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? :devil:

HOW ABOUT LISTENING TO WHAT OUR HC IS SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gailey: "But in order for the passing to get better, the protection has to get better. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running for their life back there."

GOOD LORD, STEP UP INTO WHAT, THE BACKSIDE OF YOUR O_LINE THAT IS GETTING BLASTED BACKWARDS OFF THE BALL LIKE A BUNCH OF FRIGGIN RAG DOLLS????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE SOME OF YOU BLIND OR JUST THAT STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????? :devil:

HOW ABOUT LISTENING TO WHAT OUR HC IS SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't lecture us like two year olds.

I remember him saying that and I concur. You have to agree with that statement. Here is where I take issue with the coach. He prompltly says that and basically does little to upgrade the offensive line. Hummmmm, he reconizes a major need of the team but does nothing but draft Wang in the 5th round and pick up a medicore RT too. I do believe actions speak louder than words. In this case, it is clearly evident. I don't understand what the new regime was thinking...So you can listening to the coach all you want...

The O line was fine on Friday nite. That has become the party line for far too long around here. (terrible O line is the reason for our terrible Quarterbacking) BS. Trent sucked, and has shown no improvement. No QB gets unlimited time to pass in the NFL. The defenses are usually quite good at this level. Any QB only has so much time to throw. Your continuing to apologize and find excuses for his poor play just sounds ridiculous. Watch any other NFL QB. They may not all be great, but they all step up and chuck the ball DOWN the field with authority. (Even Levi Brown did that) Trent plays with no fire, grit and passion, and it has contaminated the entire offense. One more poor performance and he is DONE!!!

Guest dog14787

I remember him saying that and I concur. You have to agree with that statement. Here is where I take issue with the coach. He prompltly says that and basically does little to upgrade the offensive line. Hummmmm, he reconizes a major need of the team but does nothing but draft Wang in the 5th round and pick up a medicore RT too. I do believe actions speak louder than words. In this case, it is clearly evident. I don't understand what the new regime was thinking...

A point was made on another thread that it could be a money issue with a lock out expected on the horizon.

There could be some merit to the post, Ralph Wilson is a shrewd business man and wasn't born yesterday.

In my opinion, had we signed someone like McNabb, a veteran LT would have also been brought in.

I've tried to stay away from this issue for the sake of not getting to negative with the new regime.

This BS rest on the shoulders of Buddy Nix for not being man enough to push the issue,

GET A VETERAN LT NIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND BUILD A DECENT O-LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Guest dog14787
The O line was fine on Friday nite. That has become the party line for far too long around here. (terrible O line is the reason for our terrible Quarterbacking) BS. Trent sucked, and has shown no improvement. No QB gets unlimited time to pass in the NFL. The defenses are usually quite good at this level. Any QB only has so much time to throw. Your continuing to apologize and find excuses for his poor play just sounds ridiculous. Watch any other NFL QB. They may not all be great, but they all step up and chuck the ball DOWN the field with authority. (Even Levi Brown did that) Trent plays with no fire, grit and passion, and it has contaminated the entire offense. One more poor performance and he is DONE!!!

DUH, UMMM, OK :devil:

IMHO, the OL isn't fine and it is an area of major concern. IMHO, I really didn't see anything that was fine regarding the Bills performance including the OL.

I really agree with your statement about Trent. He doesn't have the 'It" factor...

In general, it sounds like you are down playing the importance of an offensive line. Maybe, I am wrong there. If that is the case, I cannot agree with you. A solid offensive line is one key ingredient that leads to playoff appearances and super bowls.

If your saying, a soild QB can make an offensive and offensive line look better, I agree with that. I would use Ben Rosthesburger as a good example. The last year or two their line hasn't been great. He is very good at creating his own plays and being elusive. Trent only wishes he could create something positive on his own.. Wish the Bills would have drafted him. I remember that draft and hoping he was going to slip on down to us? Boy, was that disappointing.

Just my Opinion

Interesting opinion.

But there are some issues with your position.

Interesting you like Todd Collins NOW, and that you would take him NOW, but the guy spent over a decade sitting on the bench, probably due to the fact he was never good enough to be a starter during that time.

It fails to account for the statue known as Bledsoe.

Flutie was in fact, a running type of QB.

IIRC, Trent Edwards was never considered to be a mobile QB in mold of Losman and Johnson.

You do realize that Nix/Gailey, early in their tenure, said that both the QB and LT position needed to be addressed.

Guest dog14787
You do realize that Nix/Gailey, early in their tenure, said that both the QB and LT position needed to be addressed.

Not addressing the LT position this season is a good way to clean the slate of QB's before next season...

I'm really starting to believe that Nix\Gailey\Wilson plan to wait for the CBA to play out next year and weren't willing to draft or sign quality players this year. They will let the players we have take the beatings and suffer the injuries until next year plays itself out, then if we have a season after this year and we know the cap and salaries situation, they will then draft and sign from Free Agency accordingly to fill these spots with actual quality players. There can be no other explanation except that they really are that inept, which I really don't buy. They knew this season would be a bust offensively and chose to rebuild certain parts and begin the switch to the 3-4 defense first.

Not addressing the LT position this season is a good way to clean the slate of QB's before next season...

As you said:

"In my opinion, had we signed someone like McNabb, a veteran LT would have also been brought in."

If we assume that opinion to be true, failure to upgrade the LT now speaks volumes of how the Bills perceive the present group of QBs.

And it's not pretty.

I remember him saying that and I concur. You have to agree with that statement. Here is where I take issue with the coach. He prompltly says that and basically does little to upgrade the offensive line. Hummmmm, he reconizes a major need of the team but does nothing but draft Wang in the 5th round and pick up a medicore RT too. I do believe actions speak louder than words. In this case, it is clearly evident. I don't understand what the new regime was thinking...So you can listening to the coach all you want...

Then stop acting like a two year old.

I watched the game in pain and the first series for offence was decent. As I continued to watch Edwards he has less and less time to throw the ball.

I watched the game in pain and the first series for offence was decent. As I continued to watch Edwards he has less and less time to throw the ball.

Amen. Someone who saw what I saw. Amazing how the skins defense went from vanilla to a little more sophisticated against a vanilla Offense.

Trent is only effective if everything is just right. The slightest bit of adversity and he folds like a tent. Our line is bad, but a decent QB would still find a way to be effecitive. Fitzy finds a way to go downfield under a rush, he just has no accuracy. At this point if we are going to suck, let's suck with Brohm or Levi, both of whom have upside. Trent and Fitz do not.

Trent is only effective if everything is just right. The slightest bit of adversity and he folds like a tent. Our line is bad, but a decent QB would still find a way to be effecitive. Fitzy finds a way to go downfield under a rush, he just has no accuracy. At this point if we are going to suck, let's suck with Brohm or Levi, both of whom have upside. Trent and Fitz do not.

^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^

Name one member of Jim Kelly's line that wouldn't start today on nearly any team, now name one that is currently on the Bills that would start on any other team but the Bills. Get the picture now? Game 1 pre-season, 2 starters = no chance.

I see your point that our OL is not good and that only 2 of our "starters" played. But using your logic, name one of our QBs who would start for another team in the NFL. None. Our QB suck. The line is not good, but that is a moot point. Without a decent QB, the OL doesn't matter.

What an interesting question, considering the OL, even during that time, was considered small.

IMHO, Ballard is probably the only one from that time that could start today.

Just my Opinion

When we were good, we had a good offensive line. We have ignored it or gotten some overpriced turkeys (Mike Williams, Dockery) for years. Ergo, we stink. Its the most important unit on the field, period. Hence Denver has a revolving door at running back for years and it doesn't matter.