The right thing to do with Trent Edwards

Got_Wood

Keep in mind that Fitz played strictly against the skins scrubs as well. Not saying I disagree with your comment, you just need to compare apples to apples :wallbash:

Keep in mind that Fitz was playing strictly WITH the Bills scrubs. TE had Fred Jackson, ML, Lee Evans, Steve Johnson, Stupar and the starting line. There will never be a true apples to apples comparison. Even if Fitz starts this week, he'd going against the defending AFC champs, whereas TE was going against a 4 win team last year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about some old school, the right thing to do ...

1. Coaches should start the players that deserves to start and give the Team best chance to win.

2. Players should honor their contract.

3. Play fair and play to win --- always!!!

Amen, let's stop screwing around and just play the best guys we got. Why would we want to waste a whole season and 1 year of Spiller, Evans, Jackson, and Lynch careers just to see if a guy might have something? Chances are good neither has anything.

The "play to win" part seems to be lost on a lot of posters around here.

I agree we are jumping the gun a little on this year, but he has been lousy for a lot of games prior. The boos are warrented in my opinion. Gailey is the ONLY guy who can save Edwards career and he's the best option for this year. What Trent is paid isn't going to affect his performance other than it soon will drop to zero if you don't pick up your play. Fitz is the odd man out, I don't think Brohm is the future but they will keep him and Brown will come along for the ride. After this year Edwards either has arrived thanks to Gailey or it's career over not just in Buffalo.

This would perpetuate the Bills "shoot yourself in the foot" mentality like cutting Flutie, firing Bill Polian, and starting Rob Johnson against the Titans.

Cut our best QB. Brilliant.

Hey guys... I'm not a Trent fan by any stretch, however I think it is ridiculous to cut a guy after 1 game while learning a new offense, had 3 OL starters out, and had his 2 starting RB's out. Not to mention, we don't have a legit #2 WR yet.

The guy was playing against a first string defense, with a second/third string offense... no one would have looked good.

If by preseason week 3 he still looks this bad, I'll ammend my opinion, but for now, he gets 3 games to prove himself before sending him packing.

This ^^^^^ + 1, give it up and give Trent a chance to fail or succeed.

This ^^^^^ + 1, give it up and give Trent a chance to fail or succeed.

This is his 4th season. How much do you need to see to determine what kind of QB he is? You sound like those who were saying that Losman was technically a rookie in his 4th year. :wallbash:

BRING ON BROWN. ITS A WRAP FOR TRENTATIVE 'CAPTAIN CHECKDOWN' EDWARDS.

This would be the worst possible scenario. He was drafted as a developmental QB, so let's treat him like that. For once this team needs to properly develop a quarterback. Brown should not be thrown into the fire too early.

This would perpetuate the Bills "shoot yourself in the foot" mentality like cutting Flutie, firing Bill Polian, and starting Rob Johnson against the Titans.

Cut our best QB. Brilliant.

cutting Flutie and cutting Edwards aren't comparible.....Polian couldn't draft worth a crap with Buffalo I can see why you move on and only Manning has saved his butt from the fire.....

This would be the worst possible scenario. He was drafted as a developmental QB, so let's treat him like that. For once this team needs to properly develop a quarterback. Brown should not be thrown into the fire too early.

WHAT'S THE WORSE THAT COULD HAPPEN? Couldn't possible be any worse than the **** we've already dealt wit. Its seems there's a general consensus on this board that Brown shows promise of a good, fearless QB in the nfl. So why not develop him NOW? What have we got to lose?

cutting Flutie and cutting Edwards aren't comparible.....Polian couldn't draft worth a crap with Buffalo I can see why you move on and only Manning has saved his butt from the fire.....

Cutting Edwards would be fine, ion fact I support it if Brohm can do anything. Cutting Fitz would continuing to shoot ourselves in the foot. After last year and Friday, it should be obvious to everyone that Fitz can get it done more often than Trent. Since we are competing in the NFL, we should do everything we can to put our best guy that give us the best chance to win the next game on the field.

It may not be the same order of magnitude as cutting Flutie, but it would still be a major shot to the foot.

I know that it's not an attractive or long-term option, but it may be the best we could do. I was hoping that Trent could show some maturity and progress but he's the same Trent from last year both on and off of the field.

You would think Gailey would bring a vet in if he really felt all 3 QBs were a lost cause. Unless he and Nix figure it's a lost season anyway. But if that were the case, wouldn't they play Levi Brown?

PTR

It isn't the right thing to do, cutting one of the QB's on your roster, unless you can pick up something better.

I couldn't care less how the spoiled-brat fan base feels about him or Jauron. The sheep will come around when the team starts winning.

Whether you want to believe it or not- IT CAN GET WORSE.

I spoke to someone who covers Bills camp over the weekend and suggested this option. His response was that it's highly unlikely since that QB would have no time to learn the offense and you would just make a bad situation worse, much like changing an OC the week before the season starts.

PTR

Yeah, I mean what dysfunctional embarrassment of a franchise would do something like th.....never mind.

I think the offense looked pretty miserable, and Trent's pick was horrible, but would we be singing a slightly different tune if Stupar hadn't been called for holding and we ended up scoring on that first drive?

The offense is miserable. We don't have a starting tackle on the roster, we have little at WR and don't know what we have at QB. I really see us getting the top pick.

The offense didn't look any worse when Jauron was head coach......sorry......

We might need to go 2 tight end and fullback to help with the blocking on every passing play, which means we better have good WR's......guess what we don't have?

I think the offense looked pretty miserable, and Trent's pick was horrible, but would we be singing a slightly different tune if Stupar hadn't been called for holding and we ended up scoring on that first drive?

I finally had a chance top really look at that first few drives in slo-mo today and I have to say Trent was not crisp then either. He was off-target with his passes even though they were caught.

PTR

You would think Gailey would bring a vet in if he really felt all 3 QBs were a lost cause. Unless he and Nix figure it's a lost season anyway. But if that were the case, wouldn't they play Levi Brown?

PTR

Makes sense to me ... but I wonder how the "Jauron Factor" plays into it. That intangible, compelling, innate drive for a head coach to minimize his own personal embarrassment as opposed to viewing the situation primarily from the organizational perspective.

We know what Dickie did when the team was down late in the game, without much hope -yet still SOME hope alive - he punted. Eat the loss if we must, but avoid the blowout loss at all costs. After all, "it's tough to win in the NFL."

So ... would it be better to give Levi a shot? Maybe so, but would Chan be willing to throw up a 1-3 win season in his head coaching resume for the potential benefit to the team of finding a solid QB for the future, giving him experience, etc.? I hate to say it, but I suspect he might rather throw up a 5-7 win season with Trent/Fitz and be able to explain it away on a lack of talent ... or maybe even try to spin it like he did a lot with a little.

I'm turning into a cynic in my old age.

My vote would be to give each of the four QB's (brown as well) a shot at starting a pre-season game. Give Fitz our next game and then Brohm and Brown the next two, in that order. We have got to see what these guys can do in game situations and we already know what Trent gave us against the skins. TE will never go beyond where he is IMO and Fitz gives us a better chance to manage and win games this season, so if it isn't financially detrimental for the Bills to keep Fitz then I say start him. If Brohm and\or Brown show us something special in their pre-season performances then cut TE, let RF start and then go from there. This way we know for sure what moves need to be made in the next draft!

This is a great plan. Please FedEx it to Gailey