WGR again

jahbonas

Your comments are spot on. I agree. The Bills are the #1 thing to talk about right now. It's not difficult as a sports radio host in Buffalo to take in the game and be able to speak intelligently about it. It's a requirement and not a difficult task.

Yes i agree. Howard Simon should be embarrassed to admit that he didn't do his job. He reminds me of Billy Joe Hobert when he admitted he hadn't studied the playbook. We all know what happened to Billy Joe. I like Howard Simon, but that's just awful. he did his listeners a disservive. His boss needs to call him in and give him a wake up call. He didn't do his job.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I think it's fitting that fans who follow a mediocre football team have an equally mediocre sports talk station. They are made for each other.

PTR

The Bills are mediocre in their own right. It has absolutely nothing to do with the media. The bottom line is that the Bills' organization is third rate. The NFL system is designed for parity. Yet, the Bills can't even climb out of their mediocre hole. You can point your accusing finger at a radio station, the reporting, the media and its personalities but you are only involving yourself with a meaningless distraction.

The Bills are what they are because of the caliber of its ownership and organization. Don't waste your energy on distractions. Direct them where they should be directed at. What is coming out of the airwaves has very little to do with what is going on on the field.

I listen to WGR through my computer. What I have noticed with Simon and his co-hosts in the morning and the ofternoon couple, Schoop and the Bulldo (both wretched) is a level of frustrastion and exasperation with the team. It has gotten to the point that there is a depleting "sameness" to reporting on this team that the radio guys just want to move on to something else.

While you are critical of the radio station for their lack of attention and enthusiasm toward the Bills I do understand where they are coming from. There comes a point at which what more can you say? The criticisms directed toward the team, organization and owner are the same criticisms that have been made for a decade straight.

What is most bad about the Bills is not that they are so much a bad team (which they are) but they are a very unentertaining and boring team. Trying to manufacture a fake on air enthusiasm when it doesn't exist rings very hollow.

The problem with WGR and the Bills has little to do with the coverage. The problem centers around the product on the field. Until that is upgraded the coverage is also going to be lackluster.

:ph34r::worthy: EXCUSE ME ... their job is to talk about sports and to be the alleged "experts" on the team. If Howard does not watch the complete Bills' preseason game and I would think a professional sports talk guy would watch it again just to be able to provide insight into the nuances of the play of our 2nd stringers (yea, it's boring ... yea, the game was nausiating but I watched the entire game so that I could see how the rookies played ... I was able to watch Levi's professionalism even against the scrubs ... I was able to see Bell's running abilities ...and that's what a sports talk host is supposed to do).

SPORTS TALK stations are supposed to talk SPORTS not lists ... I will agree that their hosts are not requried to be fans of the local teams but they are assumed to spend more time watching and reviewing information about the local teams so that their opinion can have more veracity than the anonymous bloggers on this wall. And, when there is not anything new happening with the local teams ... then SPORTS TALK hosts talk about national or world sports ... they introduce information that listeners might not otherwise have ... the find guests to interview ... authors ... experts ... athletes ... retired athletes ... they in other words produce a show that is about SPORTS but first and foremost it is about the local professional and college teams ...

Yes, right now the Bills are a bad team ... but there are more interviews with Bills coaches and experts on out of town stations than there are on the two Buffalo so-called sports stations. Although after reading some of the promo stuff on Brad at WECK it's clear that he is not claiming to be sports talk guy ... I just wish Nick was on during the late afternoons ... he is the one guy who apparently understands sports' talk programming.

So, GR has NO EXCUSE ... NONE WHATSOEVER ... my only suggestion to those of you living in Buffalo is to let the sponsors know that you have had it ... won't buy their products because they are not sponsoring true sports programming.

When the EMPIRE SPORTS NETWORK died ... Buffalo sports talk died. Bob Koshinski knew how to program a sports station and Howard was really good on the air there.

Well back to Philadelphia Sports talk I go .. they might even talk about the Bills ... and I know they won't be giving me their favorite lists

I think Jon C's defense of this crap is just as pathetic. It is their JOB to watch the game.

The crap is on the field. What is comig out of the radio station into the airwaves is irrelevant. One radio person, Howard Simon, admitted that he didn't watch the game in its entirety. On his show this morning he had on the other co-host who watched the game and two people who also watched the game in its entirety. They commented on this preseason game. There was nothing out of the ordinary that can be said about the game. The Bills played as they normally played, ineptly. They got whipped as they usually do.

I watched the game. After the first quarter I turned the channel. Garbage is garbage. There was nothing to distinguish this garbage from any of the other usual garbage. It was the standard combination: bad quaterbacking and bad OL play. In other words a typical Bills' game.

If you want to be critical of Howard Simon for his lack of diligence then go ahead and complain about him. I give him credit for not wanting to subject himself to such a revolting product. Having to endure ugly football partially is much smarter than having to endure ugly football from the beginning to the end.

I salute Howard Simon for not totally wasting him time. I have no problem with him using his time for something more entertaining and productive. Life is too short to be constantly exposed to fraudulent professional football.

Bad attitudes and bad coverage are the result of the lack of competition in sports radio. Most small-medium markets only have one dedicated sports talk station. So if you want to hear *anything* about your local sports scene, you have no choice but to tune into them. They know it and they're not scared. They are a monopoly. Simon might get a talking to about keeping some things to himself, but Simon, Schoop, Bulldog, aren't going anywhere, so you might as well just live with it.

I'm in Raleigh and we have an ESPN sports radio station with local coverage. For the most part, the guys here are pretty good. They are obviously fixated on college BBall, but they do a good job covering Hurricanes hockey. Sometimes they have attitude, but nothing like the Buffalo radio guys.

I listen to WGR through my computer. What I have noticed with Simon and his co-hosts in the morning and the ofternoon couple, Schoop and the Bulldo (both wretched) is a level of frustrastion and exasperation with the team. It has gotten to the point that there is a depleting "sameness" to reporting on this team that the radio guys just want to move on to something else.

While you are critical of the radio station for their lack of attention and enthusiasm toward the Bills I do understand where they are coming from. There comes a point at which what more can you say? The criticisms directed toward the team, organization and owner are the same criticisms that have been made for a decade straight.

What is most bad about the Bills is not that they are so much a bad team (which they are) but they are a very unentertaining and boring team. Trying to manufacture a fake on air enthusiasm when it doesn't exist rings very hollow.

The problem with WGR and the Bills has little to do with the coverage. The problem centers around the product on the field. Until that is upgraded the coverage is also going to be lackluster.

Look, the product on the field is probably better than the product on the radio. People tune in because they want to hear BUFFALO sports-good or bad...In fact, we've found out here that years when The Padres sucked...ratings went up...Why you ask? Because it is a great time to let callers vent. Makes people feel better I guess. We do not carry The Chargers games. It is similar to Buffalo in that it is on a FM Rock station-Rock 105.3...But we still talk about them all daylong because it is what the listeners want.

Stop excepting mediocrity and e-mail the program director and tell him you want better...(Dont bother the advertisers though...that isnt cool-They are still supporting local sports and your hometown teams in a tough economy).

Bills looked bad Friday , but I still am optimistic that they can be a hard nosed smash mouth team. Gonna take some time until they reach their stride...Go Bills!

so no matter what city their prospective sports radio stations dont talk about their sport teams unless they are good. makes sense to me?

Most sports radio shows are by nature inane. They have always been. Call-in shows are even more inane than shows that don't take calls or take few calls. Getting worked up over a radio show that the so called personalities would openly admit that they themselves aren't particularly serious about the local sports scene. They are what they have been for a very long time. Their format is the same format they have used for a long time. Are there alternative shows? Not in that market. The simple solution is not to listen.

As someone else noted when the Empire Sports TV show vanished the quality local sports coverage also vanished.

Sorry, but this argument does not wash for me. There is no excuse for WGR not making in depth coverage of the Bills a focus. Their coverage is a joke. It is not like there is anything else going on locally in sports at the moment. If they would take their role seriously, there would plenty to talk about, players to interview, opinions to get, etc. They just do not bother. Bush league all the way.

Sorry, but this argument does not wash for me. There is no excuse for WGR not making in depth coverage of the Bills a focus. Their coverage is a joke. It is not like there is anything else going on locally in sports at the moment. If they would take their role seriously, there would plenty to talk about, players to interview, opinions to get, etc. They just do not bother. Bush league all the way.

The coverage of the Bills by WGR has been the same for a very long time. They do not get many interviews with players or team staff for the simple reason that their relationship with OBD is non existent. One radio personality stated that OBD won't even get back to them. There is a lot of antagonism and animosity between the parties. OBD believes they are being treated unfairly and harshly. So there are not going to be many separate interviews.

I am not bothered by the station coverage because sports radio in general is simply inane. Who cares what goes on with a station whose speciality is ludicrous lists? Have you heard much coverage of the Bills from the national sports entities? For the most part you won't because the team has been bad and will be bad for almost a generation. Do sport outlets talk about the KC Royals or the Pirates? I don't need to answer why.

If the Bills ever get to be relevant they will garner the attention they warrant. As it presently stands the franchise is more ridiculed than discussed over by the national coverage. WGR is for the most part the only sports station in town. Their coverage is very limited and amateurish. It has been for a very long time. WGR has its niche. It certainly isn't serious sports radio, if there is such a thing. You are expecting something from GR which it is not interested in being.

Just maybe if the Bills can become a serious team the coverage will be more comprehensive and focused. Most people seem to be upset with the local coverage while my attention is more on the product on the field.

I can give WGR credit this morning at least the topic is the Bills game. In listening Howard states proudly he only watches the 1st half (this from the same guy who watches preseason hockey games that dont include sabres).

Whether the Bills played well or not....if you are going to speak to WNY for 4 hours on Monday - isnt it your job to at least watch the game you will be talking about??????

You are so right!! I kept switching between the game and some home karaoke! The way they played I am glad I did, and even though I couldn't sit and watch the game in it's entirety I was better prepared for karaoke last friday evening!

But if my job included conducting an intelligent discussion of the game and the state of the Bills I would feel compelled to watch every minute of the game in order to be fully prepared prior to talking about it!

Each year it seems that WGR 550 and me have a bigger barrier between us. I was actually a WGR fantatic going back to when WBEN used to have an active roll in the Buffalo sports seen many years ago! I also used to like Chuck Dickerson

when it came to Bills discussions. He can be a little crude, but nobody did it better and was more honest about the Bills!

These idiots on WGR cover everything but sports on many days. I don't turn sports radio on so I can hear about american idol ! favorite pies! favorite movies! favorite actors! and all the other stupid crap they have on there. I primarily want to hear about the Bills, and then the Sabres, then the rest of the NFL, and the NHL.

I don't care about golf, but understand that some others do and that's fine, and I don't care if these guys hate the yankees or not ( I like 'em). I also don't care about how poor and cheap Howard is as it is the root of some of their stupid discussions. Newsflash WGR!!! Nobody cares about Howards finances and it's (CHEAP) fill of valuable airtime!

I don't know how this sorry bunch won the Marconi Award? It must not really be such a big deal if WGR won this award. I would rather listen to Jason Smit with ESPN on a late weekend night than our own local guys! We barely have a hometown sports station anymore!

Probation

Group: Members

Member No.: 13,895

Hey, but they won the coveted Marconi award! How bad could they be??

Yeah- I love that commercial too...it's almost 2011 and they are still pimping an award won in 2009. what's next? promoting they won Artvoice's 1987 first place for "best pepperoni pizza?"