As a Native American

The Fighting Irish?

As an Irish-American (and a Hibernian) I'm cool with it. Until African Americans were allowed to fight whites, the Irish were among the very best boxers. Take a look at the logo. Also the Irish have been prized warriors throughout history. We pushed the British back onto their island from right next door.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt it. After all, this is the home of Freedom Fries. No joke, I played the French Horn, among other brass instruments, back in high school. Our band director, a crazy pseudo-patriot, insisted that we be referred to as the "Freedom Horn" section.

He was crazy. Every player of the instrument hates the "french" part. College students and professionals simply call it the "horn".

But still, what's your point? It's just the colloquial name of the collective people in America descended from the indigenous peoples. I don't think you're really educating anybody when you say that most of us were born here in America.

I'm not trying to educate anyone. Just pointing out that we were all born here

Some people try to make a distinction between one group or another. I was trying to point out what we have in common.

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

Could you imagine the Harlem Blackskins or the San Francisco Yellows?

I cringe every time I hear their name....oh well.

Oh get over it!!!!! BFD.... A lot more issues in this world to deal with, Come on, Man!!

Actually, I'm rather tall & a bit offended by the 'Giants'....... especially on 01/27/1991

Im a Native american, I was born in nyc.

With that being said, The redskins is a horrible name. St. Johns changed its name from the Redman, to the Red Storm.

I cant believe that this racist name is till around. This is why right after the Jets, Cowboys, and Phins, I hate the Redskins.

Just thought I'd express myself and vent for a moment.

I can think of no more disrespectful and derogatory team name in all of American sport.

:P

I'm an Italian/Sicilian American and I hate the Redskins.

Disgusting, really.

The fish have a team logo that simply cracks me up: Flipper with a bottle cap for a background. The WORST NFL team logo has to be the Raiders. I mean, c'mon. Look at that guy with the patch on his eye. It looks like Al Davis commissioned some high school kid to draw that up for $1.00....... :P

.."Redskins" is definitely derogatory. Washington "Braves" has a nice ring to it........

Flipper with a botttle cap? It is a Dolphin jumping through a hoop, and the hoop is the sun.

Bottle cap?

As a Polak, I'd just like to say; get over it, we all get picked on.

I am an Italian American-American Native. I must say that I am very tired of the political correctness stuff.

I don't hate the Redskins now because I didn't hate them 40 years ago when no one cared about this crap.

In today's world I can't even say Merry Christmas to you because someone else might get offended.

You can't say the Pledge of Allegiance in a public school either because it mentions God.

I boycott all this PC stuff. All of it. Including the zealots who insist on renaming sports teams.

Treat people right. Do not pre-judge. Be nice and live good.