I am now a fan of Rex Ryan and...

DarthICE

I am waiting for Ralphs Death so the new owner moves them outta WNY so they finally have a shot at being something again. I wonder what the over/ under will be on Suicides in the WNY area when that happens?

Glad to see you aren't a douche.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the way their owner is handling the Revis situation. It is about the GROUP, the TEAM, not one friggin player.

I hope they hold thier position and let revis sit all season. If all owners would handle things this way, the cap and salaries wouldn't be out of hand.

You have been sucked in by the standard negotiation dance. A contract deal will get ironed out with Revis getting the second highest contract for a CB. The Jets are a serious team and their owner is a capable fellow. Not like the situation is in western NY. Revis will eventually sign and be one of the best defensive players in the league. Don't waste your energy and outrage for a matter which will be worked out. When so much money is at stake there is rarely a quick contract resolution. Before you know it the tough talk will end up in hugs and kisses at the podium with the Jet seal.

Apparently, in a contractual stalemate, you fail to see the difference between a columnist from the NY Post calling Revis the league MVP and the face of the NY Jets franchise calling him the league MVP. Ryan's words and actions have emboldened Revis and have not helped the situation at all. THAT'S my point. I'm not sure what your point is. Ryan's backtracking over the last week, along with Woody Johnson's "My gut feeling is that he won't play" staged interview to ESPN are evidence that the Jets are attempting some damage control after weeks of pumping Revis's tires.

All Ryan had to say was that Revis is a great player and was 1/11th of the #1 defense in the league last year. He has to understand, when he's speaking at the podium with the NY Jets logo behind him, that he's speaking for the Jets. Coachspeak and toeing the company line sucks, but there's times when it's necessary. "I coach the guys who are here, we're preparing as if we'll be without him" is all he had to say.

Also, since you asked, I'd say that Ryan justified Revis's holdout by saying that Revis would start if he showed up an hour before the first game. That's not a good way to get a guy into camp, and doesn't send a great message to the 70 guys sweating through two-a-days.

No one called him such. But anyway, my point is that I think Woody Johnson knows what he will and will not pay Revis. Revis will either either accept or not--no matter what he thinks his coach thinks of him.

Damage control with who? Look, the player thinks he's the best, his coach agrees and so do many others who folow the sport (even some outside of NYC!!--go figure). The pay has been set by the Raiders with that ridiculous contract they gaver their CB. That's where you should aim your misplaced disapproval.

Revis's performance has emboldened him. Do you think that if Ryan had instead said what you suggested (and nothing else), that Revis wouldn't still be holding out? You're answer has to be yes, I would conclude. I disagree. And saying "well, it's not helping" is not the same and is not a meaningful argument.

Revis won't sit the season.

Totally agree with bolded statement. He'll wear out his welcome in NYC before too long.

yeah...another division title and getting deep into the playoffs and he'll be out on his ass. New York won't put with a douchebag loudmouth who just wins. If you're going to succeed in New York sports its all about being nice and good sports and not getting hung up on winning and losing. Look at the Yankees for instance.

yeah...another division title and getting deep into the playoffs and he'll be out on his ass. New York won't put with a douchebag loudmouth who just wins. If you're going to succeed in New York sports its all about being nice and good sports and not getting hung up on winning and losing. Look at the Yankees for instance.

Sports is about winning, in NYC or anywhere. You can act pretty much anyway you want, if you win.

The douchebag part is simply an option Rex chooses to employ. If he fails, that will hurt him more than had he acted with class, IMO.

I saw the HBO show last night. Rex Ryan is a dirtbag that surrounds himself with dirtbags. As long as he is winning it's fine, but his act will not last long when he stops winning.

Just beat me to it.

I agree that Ryan publicly fluffing Revis isn't helping matters and is probably ruffling his bosses' feathers, but it's not leading Revis to take the stance he's taking. Much like how the Bills' signing of Dockery and Walker had little to do with Peters demanding to be the highest-paid OT in the league, this is all orchestrated by his agent, who sees what the top guys are making and an opportunity to cash-in, and who has convinced Revis that he can get what he wants.

i havent seen the hard knocks episode. i figured this thread was about this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5455164

Ryan calling everyone out, and inviting every/anyone on both sides to come to the table and talk it out. It will never happen, but it's a great idea, and I like that he went on record with it.

This is yet another example of how the Raiders screw the whole league up. They gave Asamugah 16 million a year which is 3 mil a year more than any other DB in the league. Now Revis wants to be the highest paid. How do you give a corner 17 million a year? What is he- Peyton freaking Manning?

Incidentallu, the Raiders almost screwed us over by giving the guy they picked ahead of Spiller an outrageous out of line contract. Once again proving there is an owner in the league more senile than our very own Ralph.

While your view is a popular one, it is not really correct in this case. From Mike Florio:

"In early 2009, Asomugha was poised to enter his second straight year under the franchise tag. The Raiders were fully prepared to continue using the franchise tender to keep Asomugha from leaving. So instead of playing the year-to-year game of multi-million-dollar tag, the Raiders came up with a deal that pays Asomugha $28.3 million in 2009 and 2010 combined, the estimated cost of using the franchise tag in those two years. . This argument (blaming the Raiders) also overlooks another key fact. If the salary cap had survived in 2010, Asomugha wouldn't have even been the highest paid cornerback in the league. Per a league source, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey would have had a cap number of $15.395 million."

You like how Rex Ryan has been handling the Revis situation???

As in, repeatedly calling him the best in the league? Lobbing HEAVY criticism at the voters when Revis didn't win Defensive Player of the Year last season? Stating in an interview two weeks ago that if Revis reports to the Jets the night before the opening game, he will be a starter?

Don't you think Sexy Rexy is probably the #1 reason for Revis's holdout? Don't you think it's Rex's repeated fawning over him that has put the organization in a tough spot? There's no question that when Ryan told reporters last week that they're "preparing as if they're going to play the season without him," it was at the urging of the front office, who are looking for a little help in their bargaining stance.

I've said it before, I appreciate the candor of Ryan. But in certain situations, especially contractual stalemates between his boss and his player, the coachspeak "I have to work with the players who are here in camp" is a required answer. Rex apparently wasn't smart enough to figure that out and somebody has to spell it out for him.

There's nothing wrong with praising your players. It's one of the reasons that players seem to really like playing for Rex Ryan. But some restraint and tact is required at times, which are not his strong suits.

In addition, two days after the Jets were eliminated from the playoffs, the Jets approached Revis and offered to rip up the last three years of his contract.

Contrast the Jets handling of Darrelle Revis to the Chris Johnson situation in Tennessee.

What is the difference between the two situations?

In both cases, a young, ascending superstar was outplaying his rookie contract. Johnson has 3 years left of his contract. Revis came into the league one year earlier but playing on a six year contract, also has three years remaining on his contract.

Johnson, knowing he had little leverage, settled for an additional $1.25 million for the 2010 season. He's not happy but realizes that the Titans are playing hardball and that he won't win. Despite all this, Johnson vows to gain 2500 yards this season.

Meanwhile, as the New York Times made clear, "By holding out, Revis effectively turned his salary for 2011 and 2012, a total of $20 million, from guaranteed to nonguaranteed."

The guy held out for the best contract ever given to someone drafted 14th overall. Now he wants to tear it up with three years left, at the same time, walking away from a guaranteed $20 million for the two seasons following 2010.

Very gutsy move, and arguably, very greedy.

Man, I can't keep track of these Samoan players now days. I never even heard of this guy. :thumbsup:

Anyway, though, I totally agree with you. In an already insane league, the Raiders keep distinguishing themselves as even more crazy than everyone else.

Funny line. But again, the Raiders criticism, while popular, is wrong in this case.

Hard Knocks consistently impresses, but don't let HBO producers' abilities to romanticize everything make Rex out to be a great guy. He's that obnoxious uncle everyone has, just a mess, no self-control, indulges in everything, speaks with no class, fun to have around for 15 minutes, everyone talks about what a waste he is when they walk away.

I completely agree how he has been a catalyst for the Revis holdout. . .him going on ESPN over the past two weeks telling everyone that Revis is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVER cant possibly be helping the organization. . .if **** hits the fan with this revis situation, it will definitely come back to his fat ass.

As for the show, AWESOME. I'll be tuning in every week. They even make Sanchez look good. How many years before HBO hooks up with our guys?

I agree that Ryan publicly fluffing Revis isn't helping matters and is probably ruffling his bosses' feathers, but it's not leading Revis to take the stance he's taking. Much like how the Bills' signing of Dockery and Walker had little to do with Peters demanding to be the highest-paid OT in the league, this is all orchestrated by his agent, who sees what the top guys are making and an opportunity to cash-in, and who has convinced Revis that he can get what he wants.

The agent for Revis is doing what he is supposed to do: get the best deal he can get for his client. Peters's agent did a terrific job for his client. He got him a terrific contract from a playoff team. Just to remind you the agents work for the players, not the organizations.

While your view is a popular one, it is not really correct in this case. From Mike Florio:

"In early 2009, Asomugha was poised to enter his second straight year under the franchise tag. The Raiders were fully prepared to continue using the franchise tender to keep Asomugha from leaving. So instead of playing the year-to-year game of multi-million-dollar tag, the Raiders came up with a deal that pays Asomugha $28.3 million in 2009 and 2010 combined, the estimated cost of using the franchise tag in those two years. . This argument (blaming the Raiders) also overlooks another key fact. If the salary cap had survived in 2010, Asomugha wouldn't have even been the highest paid cornerback in the league. Per a league source, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey would have had a cap number of $15.395 million."

In addition, two days after the Jets were eliminated from the playoffs, the Jets approached Revis and offered to rip up the last three years of his contract.

Contrast the Jets handling of Darrelle Revis to the Chris Johnson situation in Tennessee.

What is the difference between the two situations?

In both cases, a young, ascending superstar was outplaying his rookie contract. Johnson has 3 years left of his contract. Revis came into the league one year earlier but playing on a six year contract, also has three years remaining on his contract.

Johnson, knowing he had little leverage, settled for an additional $1.25 million for the 2010 season. He's not happy but realizes that the Titans are playing hardball and that he won't win. Despite all this, Johnson vows to gain 2500 yards this season.

Meanwhile, as the New York Times made clear, "By holding out, Revis effectively turned his salary for 2011 and 2012, a total of $20 million, from guaranteed to nonguaranteed."

The guy held out for the best contract ever given to someone drafted 14th overall. Now he wants to tear it up with three years left, at the same time, walking away from a guaranteed $20 million for the two seasons following 2010.

Very gutsy move, and arguably, very greedy.

Funny line. But again, the Raiders criticism, while popular, is wrong in this case.

A couple of things. First, the 2006 CBA said that you can only franchise a player twice. So the Raiders had to give him a new deal. Second of all, Bailey's cap number might have been $15M, but his average salary and guarantees were much lower than NA got. They sorely overpaid, as they've done on numerous occasions, and have been been the ones raising prices for players.

The agent for Revis is doing what he is supposed to do: get the best deal he can get for his client. Peters's agent did a terrific job for his client. He got him a terrific contract from a playoff team. Just to remind you the agents work for the players, not the organizations.

I'm glad you finally got that point, John. :thumbsup:

A couple of things. First, the 2006 CBA said that you can only franchise a player twice. So the Raiders had to give him a new deal. Second of all, Bailey's cap number might have been $15M, but his average salary and guarantees were much lower than NA got. They sorely overpaid, as they've done on numerous occasions, and have been been the ones raising prices for players.

The cap is the same for every team. If a team pays high for a particular position it will have to pay a lower amount for other positions. One team might have their best defensive player be a CB while another team might have a DT who is their best player. If a team skews its pay scale in one direction it will be adjusted in another direction.

The CB for the Raiders is the best player on the team, regardless of position. Revis is arguably the best player on the Jets, regardless of position. The Jets and Revis will come to a contract agreement. Don't get in a funk over the messy and histrionic process of contract negotiations. It will be worked out. The Jets are a serious team with a competent owner. It will be worked out.

The cap is the same for every team. If a team pays high for a particular position it will have to pay a lower amount for other positions. One team might have their best defensive player be a CB while another team might have a DT who is their best player. If a team skews its pay scale in one direction it will be adjusted in another direction.

The CB for the Raiders is the best player on the team, regardless of position. Revis is arguably the best player on the Jets, regardless of position. The Jets and Revis will come to a contract agreement. Don't get in a funk over the messy and histrionic process of contract negotiations. It will be worked out. The Jets are a serious team with a competent owner. It will be worked out.

Why would I be in a funk about Revis holding out? Hey, more power to him! He should get what he deserves.

The point was that the Raiders have been inflating prices.

Sports is about winning, in NYC or anywhere. You can act pretty much anyway you want, if you win.

The douchebag part is simply an option Rex chooses to employ. If he fails, that will hurt him more than had he acted with class, IMO.

We're talking New York City here. Class and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Hard Knocks consistently impresses, but don't let HBO producers' abilities to romanticize everything make Rex out to be a great guy. He's that obnoxious uncle everyone has, just a mess, no self-control, indulges in everything, speaks with no class, fun to have around for 15 minutes, everyone talks about what a waste he is when they walk away.

I completely agree how he has been a catalyst for the Revis holdout. . .him going on ESPN over the past two weeks telling everyone that Revis is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER EVER cant possibly be helping the organization. . .if **** hits the fan with this revis situation, it will definitely come back to his fat ass.

As for the show, AWESOME. I'll be tuning in every week. They even make Sanchez look good. How many years before HBO hooks up with our guys?

I don't know. I kind of buy in to the fact the players like Rex Ryan. He's lound and abrasive but the players seem to like that. Beating a dead horse here but it was rough for me watching that last night. Just kept thinking, they have him and we have Chan Gailey.

Chan is coming off as this tough guy, take no prisoners, etc. I get the fans digging this attitude after Jauron. But frankly, it's still Chan Gailey. Hope I'm wrong but it would be a surprise if the results are THAT much different. The Bills have a tough enough time as is bringing in free agents. Instead of hiring old retreads, I wish Ralph would take a chance on younger, energetic guy like Ryan.

I don't know. I kind of buy in to the fact the players like Rex Ryan. He's lound and abrasive but the players seem to like that. Beating a dead horse here but it was rough for me watching that last night. Just kept thinking, they have him and we have Chan Gailey.

Chan is coming off as this tough guy, take no prisoners, etc. I get the fans digging this attitude after Jauron. But frankly, it's still Chan Gailey. Hope I'm wrong but it would be a surprise if the results are THAT much different. The Bills have a tough enough time as is bringing in free agents. Instead of hiring old retreads, I wish Ralph would take a chance on younger, energetic guy like Ryan.

Rex Ryan is not going to last there, after watching last night, I am more convinced of this than ever. The loud, abrasive, gutter mouth act only works so long anywhere. This act should never be mistaken for "energy". This will grow old on players when the winning stops. And the winning will stop there.