Local senior girl killed by brick thrown thru window

boyst

This is insane. It has the community I live in very upset. This girl was well known and it is very sad.

1st link

2nd link

3rd link

best link

I cannot imagine the kid wanted to do anything terribly hurtful to her, I do not know him, though. However, it does show how a simple stupid act can really do damage. It did not have to kill her but at the least would have broke the window (if up) or bruised her pretty bad. It is just insane! There are conflicting reports, though. Whether it hit her in the head or mid section - either way, I hope she did not suffer and hope he does.

For a little change in tone, well...Guilford County has a "SHCOOL" painted on the road.

Something truly disgusting

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had no intention of killing her why should he get life in prison. Its says he does volunteer work at church and other stuff. He probably got jealous and wanted to ruin her night thats all, but he is truely an idiot for throwing a brick. I still think he should get locked up, but not life. If he intentailly did it then yes, but if accident then no. He should get about 30 years with parol.

Saw something similar about 15 years ago. Bunch of kids thought it would be funny to drop a cinder block onto the highway from the overpass late at night. It ends up going through the windshield of the car hitting the driver, a solider from Fort Drum heading back to base, killing him.

Can't believe I found a couple articles about it.....

http://www.edwinacevedo.com/docs/cinderblock.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/05/nyregion...-2-arrests.html

I was driving to work that morning, and started to wonder why I didn't see any traffic coming the other way. Come around a bend in the road and there's the car with Troopers and detectives still on the scene, they had closed off the road at the previous exit while they did their investigation since there was no way traffic could get around the scene.

He had no intention of killing her why should he get life in prison. Its says he does volunteer work at church and other stuff. He probably got jealous and wanted to ruin her night thats all, but he is truely an idiot for throwing a brick. I still think he should get locked up, but not life. If he intentailly did it then yes, but if accident then no. He should get about 30 years with parol.

If the prosecution can prove that he had intent to kill her along with premeditation, 1st-degree murder is the proper conviction. Otherwise, he'll get 2nd-degree murder, probably 25 to life or something like that.

If the prosecution can prove that he had intent to kill her along with premeditation, 1st-degree murder is the proper conviction. Otherwise, he'll get 2nd-degree murder, probably 25 to life or something like that.

Still have to prove intent for 2nd. More likely, I think, first degree manslaughter...which usually carries 25 years as well.

I don't think intent is going to be that hard to prove in this case. He threw a brick at a person in a moving car!!!! I think everyone is confusing intent with premeditation. Intent is easy to prove, (he threw a brick at a person in a moving car!!!) premeditation would be difficult (premeditation is not necessary for this crime).

First degree murder sounds about right to me.

I didn't read most of the articles but I have to wonder why there's no mention of whether or not the kid was drunk. Not as an excuse, however. I'm always interested to see how much violence is attributed to a legal "drug" while everyone gets all up in arms about pot. I'm guessing this dude was pretty plowed.

I don't think intent is going to be that hard to prove in this case. He threw a brick at a person in a moving car!!!! I think everyone is confusing intent with premeditation. Intent is easy to prove, (he threw a brick at a person in a moving car!!!) premeditation would be difficult (premeditation is not necessary for this crime).

First degree murder sounds about right to me.

Yes intent would be easy to prove in this case. He intended to throw a brick at a moving car, easy. Proving that he intended to kill the girl, is a different story.

Yes intent would be easy to prove in this case. He intended to throw a brick at a moving car, easy. Proving that he intended to kill the girl, is a different story.

What did he expect to happen? The Brick would turn into a giant pillow and land behind her head causing her to drift to sleep?

The guy is over the age of 20, he picked up a brick and threw it at a car, at that age you know better, or atleast everyone should know that throwing a concrete block can cause serious damage. No excuse

What did he expect to happen? The Brick would turn into a giant pillow and land behind her head causing her to drift to sleep?

The guy is over the age of 20, he picked up a brick and threw it at a car, at that age you know better, or atleast everyone should know that throwing a concrete block can cause serious damage. No excuse

I'm not saying the guy in not a scumbag, and I don't know what he thought would happen. I'm just saying that intent is not aways as easy to prove as some might think. He may be the only one to know what his intent was and if he keeps his mouth shut, it may be hard to prove in court.

The car was moving and he probably was not an expert at throwing bricks at cars, so maybe he just wanted to hit the side of the car and missed? Just sayin'

I hope he rots forever, but that's not always the case.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Apparently my attempt to explain what intent means went over the heads of some.

What you describe is intent.

So what will he be convicted of? (in your opinion).

My $.02:

I'm guessing he pleads out. He will not want to take his chances with a jury on this one, especially if 1st-degree murder is on the table. My guess: a guilty plea to 2nd-degree murder or 1st-degree manslaughter.

Anyone want to start placing bets? This could be fun.

So what will he be convicted of? (in your opinion).

He will never go to trial. Will take a plea to Murder 2nd, and take a significant sentence with the chance of getting out when he is 50. As soon as they say "plea to Murder 2, or we go for the death penalty" he will take the plea.

My opinion though.

If it was you, would you take your chances with a jury?

He will never go to trial. Will take a plea to Murder 2nd, and take a significant sentence with the chance of getting out when he is 50. As soon as they say "plea to Murder 2, or we go for the death penalty" he will take the plea.

My opinion though.

If it was you, would you take your chances with a jury?

NOPE!

I agree with that as well. But that's kind of my point. The prosecution doesn't want to take the chance on going for 1st degree murder either because like I said, some things are tough to prove. Why else would they even offer him a plea? (assuming they do). Just my opinion as well.

The facts that we have only indicate that he intended to hit the car.

Just the latest.

It was a 12x12 paving stone. It entered through the passenger window and hit her midsection and severed her liver. The event happened around 4am and she was taken to a local hospital where the police were notified. At around 6am she was immediately taken to Wake Forest Baptist Hospital where she died around 12 during surgery to stop internal bleeding. She had been dating his cousin and showed up at the party with another guy. There was a lot of alcohol there, as well.

The accused went to court yesterday morning against the charge of first degree murder. He could face the death penalty. He is having a public defender assigned. If this reaches trial it will most likely be moved to another county location to avoid a tainted jury.

A friend of mine was her favorite teacher. She is deeply upset by this - Shelby was an amazing person.

He will definately plead out and get a minimum 30 years. I would, too. But than again, you'd have found a sheet around my neck. I am am not a violent person and to think I did that to someone - I'd save everyone the pain and go night night.

***Edited

The facts that we have only indicate that he intended to hit the car.

It was not thrown from another vehicle. He was outside of the car and threw the paver. How far away is not clear, but if he had been in another vehicle it would have helped the defense. He could have been aiming somewhere else, manslaughter, but he was aiming inside the cab when he threw the paver.