why I am not so worried about LT situation

PJBrown

I'll say this: the slight benefit of the doubt I'm giving this new coaching staff will go out the window as soon they start blaming the young/weak/under-talented o-line for the offense's inability to perform. If they never offer up that excuse, good for them, they're bigger men than the last regime and they will have my support. But if I start hearing subtle references to the undermanned o-line during post-loss interviews, I'm going to go ballistic.

Why?

Because they have no one to blame but themselves.

This is nearly the same trainwreck of an o-line that was trotted out there last season. And that is precisely the problem. There was an entire offseason to try to fix the problem, and while I get that this is a multi-year rebuilding project I still cannot stomach the fact that only 1 LT was taken in the draft (a project at that), and almost no depth was added despite several decent free agent and trade options. Opportunities were there, there is no salary cap, and yet they decided they liked what they had. That's fine, but I'd better not hear them start saying otherwise or they can kiss my a--.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're gonna be awful next year. I'm pretty relaxed about it.

They're rebuilding. If they aren't better by 2012, I'll start to get frustrated again.

But, wasn't the point that if you think positively and convince yourself there really aren't any problems (and more importantly, no problems one could possibly post an opinion about) that the team will play better? :P

It would be nice to have this position removed from a question mark, but from what I have seen since Gailey has come on board I have to believe that he will not let one position ruin our offense. They have to see potential in Bell and/or Meredith....Bell is raw but has a year under his belt and won't have to jump into a no huddle offense (that should not have happened last year)......and really I believe Gailey will adjust scheme and play calling to set the O up for success, not failure...something we have not had in a while.....

Not to mention it will be esier to pass block if the opposition doesn't know what type of play we are running like it seems they have in the past few years

Bell, Wang, Green, Meredith and Chambers. Yes I am very worried about this group.

It could be the worst, or should I say least experienced, group of tackles ever assembled for a camp in Bills history. Last year they had veterans Langston Walker, Brad Butler and Jonathan Scott at camp. Walker got cut just weeks prior to the first game. Butler got injured and Chambers, who was also cut, was called back. That was a poor group and we have not done much to improve on it. Wang is a project. Green is maybe a close replacement for Butler. We are banking on Bell and Meredith to improve.

Lots of people talking about how we won 6 games last year with this unit. I try to be positive and would like to be surprised by this group but I just don't see it.

So talent alone win games in the NFL. I couldn't disagree more. I know the situation at LT and QB is far from ideal but to think that coaching can't influence those positions to make them servicable within the confines of an offense is a very simplistic and extremist way of seeing things.

Then it was the great infusion of talent that turned the jets defense around?

Do you think Pennington along with Cam Cameron make the Dolphins AFCEast champions a year later?

This is a regime that believes in teaching and getting the most out of players, them being stars, talented or servicable. You can't have stars spread all over your roster because the system itself doesn't allow it. A strong coaching staff it's what you need to compete in this league.

Where exactly did I state that talent alone wins games, I didn't and don't know where you got that from.

What I did say is you need good to great players to win, there is no question that fact is true. Like I said, show me one NFL team that wins with bad players!!

What I think you inferred from what I stated about the new Bills rookie O line coach is coaching doesn't matter, I did not say that! On the contrary coaching matters a great deal, it can make a difference to a team no question.

What I think you fail to comprehend is the Bills currently have no great coaches on their staff. The new DC is the LB coach from the Dolphins, you know the team that had trouble keeping teams out of the end zone last season. The new OC has no NFL experience as do several other coaches as they only have college coaching experience.

The Bills currently don't have a strong coaching staff as many of them have NO NFL experience, Chan Gailey will call plays and set up offensive game plans until the new OC learns how to do his job. This entire Bills coaching staff will be learning on the job this season, just like most of the players.

I'm not in denial, I am in TN.

I never said that we had pro-bowl caliber LT's on this team. I don't buy into the all the sky is falling bs that permeates this board. My point was that Gailey will play to the strengths and set the O up for success.....hadn't felt like we had that going on for a while....so even if LT is a weakness, and it may or may not be, we have good young guards and hopefully a competent gameplan....

Why worry about something you have no control over? Life's short, think positive thoughts...

we can play to our strength until we get behind in games and have to throw the rock. I hope the D keeps us close to keep with the running game

As of today we just don't have the proven talent to compete with the elite teams.

We beat the Jets last year who were in the AFC Championship Game. We played the Aints close for 3 1/2 quarter and if we could have produced any offense we could have won. We played the AFC East division winner close and very well may have won that first game if Leodis didn't fumble the kickoff.

I think our talent can play pretty much with anyone. With better coaching and offensive schemes, I think we'll win more.

Where exactly did I state that talent alone wins games, I didn't and don't know where you got that from.

What I did say is you need good to great players to win, there is no question that fact is true. Like I said, show me one NFL team that wins with bad players!!

What I think you inferred from what I stated about the new Bills rookie O line coach is coaching doesn't matter, I did not say that! On the contrary coaching matters a great deal, it can make a difference to a team no question.

What I think you fail to comprehend is the Bills currently have no great coaches on their staff. The new DC is the LB coach from the Dolphins, you know the team that had trouble keeping teams out of the end zone last season. The new OC has no NFL experience as do several other coaches as they only have college coaching experience.

The Bills currently don't have a strong coaching staff as many of them have NO NFL experience, Chan Gailey will call plays and set up offensive game plans until the new OC learns how to do his job. This entire Bills coaching staff will be learning on the job this season, just like most of the players.

If you didn't state it I apologize, I must have reached that conclusion by mistake. My point in this discussion is that the Bills have talented players, not a finished product but a good group of players that with better coaching and guidance will field a much better product than what we saw in the past.

Our coaching staff is unproven rather than weak, that is how I would like to see it.

Edwards has been in the league for 13 yeaars I will call him weak when he can't field an adequate defense. He is unproven as DC but I wouldn't call him inexperienced. Modkins will learn under Gailey, he serves as running back coach with some defensive background as well.

Alexandris doesn't have a great resume, I would have liked a more experienced guy for the OL, that's for sure, he will be assisted by Bobby Johnson (5 years in IU)

Catavolos and Sanders are veterans and were retained from the previous regime.

We will know and be able to evaluate this staff at the end of the year.

If you didn't state it I apologize, I must have reached that conclusion by mistake. My point in this discussion is that the Bills have talented players, not a finished product but a good group of players that with better coaching and guidance will field a much better product than what we saw in the past.

Our coaching staff is unproven rather than weak, that is how I would like to see it.

Edwards has been in the league for 13 yeaars I will call him weak when he can't field an adequate defense. He is unproven as DC but I wouldn't call him inexperienced. Modkins will learn under Gailey, he serves as running back coach with some defensive background as well.

Alexandris doesn't have a great resume, I would have liked a more experienced guy for the OL, that's for sure, he will be assisted by Bobby Johnson (5 years in IU)

Catavolos and Sanders are veterans and were retained from the previous regime.

We will know and be able to evaluate this staff at the end of the year.

I agree

Head coach Chan Gailey certinly has his work cut out for him this season as he needs to wear many hats in help almost in every area of the team. Most NFL coaches work an 80+ hour week just doing their own job, this HC needs to train his coaches as well as his players.

Due to the inexperience of the offensive coaches might be the reason why so many here remain skeptical about how well the O line will play this year, that and the fact so many of the O linemen lack playing experience also.

I know I would have been feeling better about the season had the Bills invested a lower draft pick for the LT position then a #5, and perhaps even drafted a RT early this year as well.

I'm not too terribly worried about the LT situation either. Sure we're not great there, but I thank a smart offensive coach can work around that. Instead of designing an offense that requires the QB to drop back 5 to 7 steps and pat the ball and look for a receiver, he'll have things like roll outs, extra tight ends, quick slant passes off of 3 step drops, screens, draws, play action, and a lot of running etc. This should help make our OLine look a lot better.

The guys can run block.

I'm not too terribly worried about the LT situation either. Sure we're not great there, but I thank a smart offensive coach can work around that. Instead of designing an offense that requires the QB to drop back 5 to 7 steps and pat the ball and look for a receiver, he'll have things like roll outs, extra tight ends, quick slant passes off of 3 step drops, screens, draws, play action, and a lot of running etc. This should help make our OLine look a lot better.

The guys can run block.

I understand what you're saying. However, IMHO, a successful offense has to be able to "stretch" the defense with a vertical passing game. I am not saying throw the ball deep on every down. The offense has to have a "percieved threat" and some success throwing deep passes. Otherwise, defenses will adjust their game plan accordingly. Haven't we seen this over the last few years. IMO, it is enough to say Gailey is going to be able to have a successful game play to overcome these deficiencies...I am very concerned about the OL because they are young, inexperienced, unproven and lack depth.

I understand what you're saying. However, IMHO, a successful offense has to be able to "stretch" the defense with a vertical passing game. I am not saying throw the ball deep on every down. The offense has to have a "percieved threat" and some success throwing deep passes. Otherwise, defenses will adjust their game plan accordingly. Haven't we seen this over the last few years. IMO, it is enough to say Gailey is going to be able to have a successful game play to overcome these deficiencies...I still am very concerned about the OL because they are young, inexperienced, and unproven.

mlp in the past couple of weeks u have sometimes made some sense. Not always, but sometimes. I have even found myself agreeing with u on occassion which seems strange to me. Are you bipolar? are u on new meds? Did a new family member take over your screen name? I'm not sure what to make of this. We'll see, maybe you will fully revert back to your old self. But for now you seem like an adequate poster which is more than u were before. You haven't used foul language which is a bonus. Is our mlp maturing? *sheds a tear*

I'm just saying i'm giving u a tad bit more benefit of the doubt now. We'll see how long it lasts. But i'm more willing to read your insights now on your opinions about the Bills.

mlp in the past couple of weeks u have sometimes made some sense. Not always, but sometimes. I have even found myself agreeing with u on occassion which seems strange to me. Are you bipolar? are u on new meds? Did a new family member take over your screen name? I'm not sure what to make of this. We'll see, maybe you will fully revert back to your old self. But for now you seem like an adequate poster which is more than u were before. You haven't used foul language which is a bonus. Is our mlp maturing? *sheds a tear*

I'm just saying i'm giving u a tad bit more benefit of the doubt now. We'll see how long it lasts. But i'm more willing to read your insights now on your opinions about the Bills.

Thanks for the backwards compliment. I have been trying hard not to be a dick. I think some posters are not able to forgot my past mistakes and that seems to hurt my crediabilty. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about that except to continue to remain professional.

Thanks for the backwards compliment. I have been trying hard not to be a dick. I think some posters are not able to forgot my past mistakes and that seems to hurt my crediabilty. Oh well, there is nothing I can do about that except to continue to remain professional.

Well if you truely have turned some things around in your life such as how you post and view differing opinions on here, so far you're doing ok. In all honesty i would like to be able to get along and even see myself having drinks will all posters on here. Even ones who's opinions i don't always agree with. Just as long as we are all civil and can be open minded about each others opinions as well. Even tho we don't always share the same views on the strategy on how to build the team, our one common thread is we are all on the same side. To me that is what really counts. Keep posting mlp, i try to be open to understanding differing viewpoints even if i don't always agree. And thanks for being civil lately.

Well if you truely have turned some things around in your life such as how you post and view differing opinions on here, so far you're doing ok. In all honesty i would like to be able to get along and even see myself having drinks will all posters on here. Even ones who's opinions i don't always agree with. Just as long as we are all civil and can be open minded about each others opinions as well. Even tho we don't always share the same views on the strategy on how to build the team, our one common thread is we are all on the same side. To me that is what really counts. Keep posting mlp, i try to be open to understanding differing viewpoints even if i don't always agree. And thanks for being civil lately.

Thanks, I appreciate your post.

Thanks for the "tuff love" too.

There are ways to burn aggressive pass rushing. You can plan around a weak offensive line.

It's certainly not ideal. But it can be done.

We'll see if we have the coaching and personnel to deal with that sort of play.

You're absolutely right, you can plan around a weak offensive line. Absolutely.

Thing is, defenses can plan around teams that plan around a weak offensive line. That's a fact too.

You're absolutely right, you can plan around a weak offensive line. Absolutely.

Thing is, defenses can plan around teams that plan around a weak offensive line. That's a fact too.

well, GB had an awful line that gave up a ton of sacks last yr, but that didnt stop rodgers from putting up big #'s. Now i'm not saying trent is aaron rodgers, but just cause our oline is apparently sub par at pass blocking doesnt mean we are one dimensional and doomed.

It's evident from practice that Green struggles in pass protection, as does Meredith. That being the case, Gailey eventually will need to utilize more 2 TE sets to hide those OT's thereby removing another option or 2 in the passing game.

Both Bell and Meredith need to show they're starting material or it's time to end the experiments.

You got it right without better tackles you tight ends have to stay in to block, your offensive is thus handicapped. You are also limited to short pass routes which the D will sit on. Guys like Shawn Nelson are kept inside or on the bench. Either the Bills get better options at OT or it's top five Pick next year for sure.

So talent alone win games in the NFL. I couldn't disagree more. I know the situation at LT and QB is far from ideal but to think that coaching can't influence those positions to make them servicable within the confines of an offense is a very simplistic and extremist way of seeing things.

Then it was the great infusion of talent that turned the jets defense around?

Do you think Pennington along with Cam Cameron make the Dolphins AFCEast champions a year later?

This is a regime that believes in teaching and getting the most out of players, them being stars, talented or servicable. You can't have stars spread all over your roster because the system itself doesn't allow it. A strong coaching staff it's what you need to compete in this league.

So how come Belichick isn't still winning championships?

He hasn't got the players anymore. Coaches might make a difference of a game or two per year. But they're greatly overrated.

The Jets aren't some wild turnaround story. They're a young team that changed their defense three years ago and has played together and grown from young pups into their primes together. They're the story of a smart rebuild, including a couple of smart pickups. Calvin Pace was a great pickup and last year he had had a year in the system. Revis going from elite to simply the best in the game, a "forget the side of the field with the #1 WR" guy is a huge part of it also. David Harris maturing into one of the best in the game made a huge difference, not to mention picking up starters Bart Scott and Marques Douglas and Jim Leonhard from Baltimore and Lito Sheppard from Philly. That's four of 11 new guys, and throw in Revis and Harris in their third years and Lowery in his second, and throw in Jenkins and Pace as second year FAs who know the system cold now and you see this is a team that has had massive change and maturation over the past two years.

Jets run defense:

2007: 29th

2008: 7th

2009: 8th

Jets pass defense:

2007: 9th

2008: 29th

2009: 1st

The run defense was 7th in the league in 2008 and the pass defense was 9th in 2007. This was a team that was reasonably close and has had new guys brought in and young guys brought up. Coaching sure didn't hurt, but yeah, the players were the key.

As for the Dolphins, you said it yourself. Pennington. Hello. They went from Cleo Lemon and a burnt-out Trent Green to Chad Pennington, protected by Jake Long.

The coaching staff made a much bigger impact than just about any other coaching staff in recent memory by absolutely winning that first Pats* game by unveiling a new/old wildcat. How many other coaches change the game like that? Basically none. And even then, the Wildcat was a terrific surprise for two or three games and then defenses figured it out.

As for new Fin starters in 2008, I see Lousaka Polite, Camarillo, Davone Bess, Fasano, Jake Long, Justin Smiley, Ndukwe and Vernon Carey, and that's just on offense. On defense, Langford, Traylor, Ferguson, Roth, Ayodele, Goodman, and Yeremiah Bell. So, yeah, players had something to do with that too.