Did Russ Brandon admit that the Bills may move to Toronto?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it seems like Russ Brandon was agreeing that the Bills and the Argos could co-exist if they were both fully in Toronto.

Agreed. Why else say "it’s an issue both will worry about when and if it becomes reality" if it's about the current arrangement?

It shows that he has given the issue plenty of thought. But that would only be due diligence.

My sense would be economically about the extent to which the NFL as part of its strategy to reach more eyeballs by setting up franchises in foreign countries, does the NFL do this best by moving the Bills to Toronto, or instead my sense is try to create a Maple Leafs/Sabres dynamic with the Bills/whoever they are.

The Bills by pursuing their current strategy are doing a number of things:

1. Asserting their territorial rights so that if.when the NFL gets a Toronto franchise part of the buy-in price is a payment to the Bills (and Mr. Ralph is he is still with us) for encroaching on the Bills territory.

2. Supports the current Bills regional marketing strategy. In fact, even if there is a Toronto team, Buffalo will be closer and still market to get folks Hamilton and South to Ft. Erie.

3. Tests what the market will pay for football.

4. Builds relationships with Toronto based companies and gets them into the habit of buying football and using it for entertainment.

I think it works well together. Franchises co-exist in hockey. There are a lot of advantages to see if and how they can coexist in football.

It looks like Russ is hinting at that, and if he is, that is really just his speclation. He doesn't know if the bills will more to toronto or not. The team isn't going to move while ralph is alive, and whatever happens to the team (whether it stays with the family or is sold to the highest bidder like ralph says) then the new owner will decide what happens with the team. And Russ aint gonna be the new owner.

cue the freak outs but i dont think its a question of being a possibility, it already is. whether it happens or not remains to be seen but it is certainly possible

personally i think its likely and all in all thats better than them leaving completely. theyd still be my team so in the either or world i take either

the official guaranteed-to-happen® mh likelihood of the bills eventually moving to canada: 71.6%

deal wied it

No he didnt.

The Bills and Rogers Communications Ltd. made headlines when they unveiled the Bills Toronto Series prior to the 2008 season. Many football pundits interpreted the announcement as the first sign that the NFL club was looking to relocate to southern Ontario.

But Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon has always maintained the series — which consists of three exhibition games and five regular-season contests — was part of the NFL team's marketing initiatives to expand and strengthen its brand in the lucrative southern Ontario market. And Brandon said Wednesday that Buffalo's participation in Football Week in Toronto is another step in that direction.

"We're squarely focused on what we stated from Day 1 with our primary objective of this series and that's to expand our market reach into the Greater Toronto Area," Brandon said during a conference call. "We're very focused on regionalizing our brand and it's all part and parcel with what we're doing in Toronto.''

http://bills.football-news-update.com/argo...-football-week/

To me, it seems like Russ Brandon was agreeing that the Bills and the Argos could co-exist if they were both fully in Toronto.

that was my feeling. just gathered that brandon felt that the argos and bills could co-exist . the one game in toronto, the argos continuing on. i hate the one game concept, hope it ends, but that is all there was to that article.

It shows that he has given the issue plenty of thought. But that would only be due diligence.

He's saying the CFL and NFL can both survive in the same marketplace, even if their games and seasons overlap. He's not talking about physically moving the team up there. Get a grip.

I think you can count on the Bills winding up in Ontario, whether its downtown Toronto or at a new stadium elsewhere like Hamilton. I think this whole Toronto series is the prelude. For all we know the $78M was Rogers down payment to Ralph for th Bills.

That said, I also think the NFL will insist that some games are still played in Orchard Park. The league doesn't want another franchise move black eye so they will call it "regionalization." A new Canadian owner will assume the team after Ralph passes. They will split the schedule between the two stadiums, then play more in Toronto. At some point they will build a new stadium and claim RWS is obsolete. By then we'll see the Bills for one annual pre-season game.

Now Bills fans can pout about it or they can just accept that's how it's going to be. The team will only be 90 minutes away max. Anyone who still wants to buy (much more expensive) season tickets and get a passport or enhanced drivers license will still be able to watch the Bills live. For everyone else the games will still be on TV. IMO, after the initial shock, people will just accept it and still follow the Bills, especially if they get good again.

PTR

He's saying the CFL and NFL can both survive in the same marketplace, even if their games and seasons overlap. He's not talking about physically moving the team up there. Get a grip.

NO! WE MUST PANIC! I HEARD THAT RUBEN BROWN LEAVING THE TEAM WAS ALL PART OF THIS CONSPIRACY! YOU DON'T FOOL US, RUSS! GET OFF THIS BOARD!