These kind of people need to be shot on sight

Agreed, the parent should have looked into the regulations rather than thinking it was okay because it was for the children.

Have to mostly agree with Jack here...

"The law is blind," right?

How are we producing people whose loyalty to the absurdity of the state is greater than their instinct to protect children?

I just bought some lemonade yesterday for five cents. However the little girls explained that the profits went to Roswell Cancer institute, and I know their mother would enforce that, so I spent my last two dollars on it. If that isnt the sweetest thing...

Jack and Fez, I honestly think you guys are sick. I am not trying to make fun of you, but that is how I feel. I dont want to live in a world where children cannot sell lemonade. You guys are just creepy. By your rules, boys cant mow lawns and girls cant babysit, unless they are old enough to work and pay taxes.

'I understand the reason behind what they're doing and it's a neighborhood event, and they're trying to generate revenue," said Jon Kawaguchi, environmental health supervisor for the Multnomah County Health Department. "But we still need to put the public's health first."

Julie had become enamored of the idea of having a stand after watching an episode of cartoon pig Olivia running one, said her mother, Maria Fife. The two live in Oregon City, but Fife knew her daughter would get few customers if she set up her stand at home.

The girl worked on a sign, coloring in the letters and decorating it with a drawing of a person saying "Yummy." She made a list of supplies.

After 20 minutes, a "lady with a clipboard" came over and asked for their license. When Fife explained they didn't have one, the woman told them they would need to leave or possibly face a $500 fine.

That's when business really picked up -- and two inspectors came back, Fife said. Julie started crying, while her mother packed up and others confronted the inspectors. "It was a very big scene," Fife said.

To that first bolded statement, the only thing i could spew out is. REALLY???

Wow i bet that lady feels lit a real bada%* now, stopped a 7 year old girl from making 5 dollars so she could go spend it on candy. :thumbsup:

Good to see the community stand up for her though.

Jack and Fez, I honestly think you guys are sick. I am not trying to make fun of you, but that is how I feel. I dont want to live in a world where children cannot sell lemonade. You guys are just creepy. By your rules, boys cant mow lawns and girls cant babysit, unless they are old enough to work and pay taxes.

Last I checked, you don't need a food license to mow a lawn or babysit...

If you don't like the law, you don't just blatantly ignore it - you work to get the law changed.

And why are you such a sexist? Boys can babysit and girls can mow lawns too you know.

Some places have special "lemonade stand" regs, where the child fills out some unobtrusive paperwork, pays a nominal fee (like a dollar, or less), and gets a special permit. Satisfies the law, and teaches the kid about local government. Admittedly, probably teaches them that government is obtrusive and annoying...but they still learn.

How are we producing people whose loyalty to the absurdity of the state is greater than their instinct to protect children?

I just bought some lemonade yesterday for five cents. However the little girls explained that the profits went to Roswell Cancer institute, and I know their mother would enforce that, so I spent my last two dollars on it. If that isnt the sweetest thing...

You're an idiot.

Some places have special "lemonade stand" regs, where the child fills out some unobtrusive paperwork, pays a nominal fee (like a dollar, or less), and gets a special permit. Satisfies the law, and teaches the kid about local government. Admittedly, probably teaches them that government is obtrusive and annoying...but they still learn.

Now that sounds like a reasonable idea.

If you don't like the law, you don't just blatantly ignore it - you work to get the law changed.

And why are you such a sexist? Boys can babysit and girls can mow lawns too you know.

I am astonished, Fezmid, at every single thing you have written. I will take from this conversation not to make assumptions about how other people may feel about things. I thought that fining cute little girls at lemonade stands would be something everyone is against. I have been enlightened.

A big part of this, IMO, is if there were any other drink vendors, with permits, there. If so then I don't feel so bad for the kid. Those people paid the license and are conducting business. This wasn't her front lawn she went to an actual event. If I'm reading that correctly.

Some laws are just stupid though.

Do you know there are laws against stealing music? Music. I mean really.

A big part of this, IMO, is if there were any other drink vendors, with permits, there. If so then I don't feel so bad for the kid. Those people paid the license and are conducting business. This wasn't her front lawn she went to an actual event. If I'm reading that correctly.

I don't often agree with you, but here I must.

Not only are they cutting in to other people's territory, they are also committing a crime, however small. Sometimes seemingly small crimes can lead to larger crimes. One example is pot leading to use of stronger drugs. Here is another.

I don't often agree with you, but here I must.

Not only are they cutting in to other people's territory, they are also committing a crime, however small. Sometimes seemingly small crimes can lead to larger crimes. One example is pot leading to use of stronger drugs. Here is another.

True enough! Chances are good that this little B word will be selling crack at that same location in just a few years.