Office Christmas Parties

_BiB_

Being a DOD Contractor, to another DOD Contractor to an Agency that works for the Pentagon, I've ended up with invites to 11 different XMAS get togethers (so far). Shotgun Christmas Spirit too, BTW. The average out of pocket expense is about $25 for each. If, it were practical to go to all of them (some scheduled on he same date) it would cost nearly $300.00. People really expect you to go, too. Seriously. It's like one of those "suggested" things that you know is really an order.

I'm not going to any of them, but I know people that feel as though they have to. $300 bucks to wear a suit and tie out to something you don't want to be at anyway is pretty damn unreasonable.

Anyone else running into this crap?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a DOD Contractor, to another DOD Contractor to an Agency that works for the Pentagon, I've ended up with invites to 11 different XMAS get togethers (so far). Shotgun Christmas Spirit too, BTW. The average out of pocket expense is about $25 for each. If, it were practical to go to all of them (some scheduled on he same date) it would cost nearly $300.00. People really expect you to go, too. Seriously. It's like one of those "suggested" things that you know is really an order.

I'm not going to any of them, but I know people that feel as though they have to. $300 bucks to wear a suit and tie out to something you don't want to be at anyway is pretty damn unreasonable.

144999[/snapback]

But don't you get to Xerox your butt at those things?

144999[/snapback]

LAMP, LAMP, LAMP. Pay the money and right(aw) it off. :w00t:

144999[/snapback]

I'll be doing some stand up comedy at one this weekend. This place is filled with good material. :w00t:

i am not as popular as you BiB.

but my wife and i have a running joke....(we both despise holiday "work" get togethers)..

so we start dreaming up our excuses for "regrets" sometime around Labor Day.

145015[/snapback]

Has nothing to do with popular. It's the annual networking and lobbying season. The LAST thing you want to do is be seen having more than one drink. What's the point?

I've managed to schedule some trips that keep me away from the flagpole.

Pay for a xmas party??? I cannot WAIT for my party (next satruday)

Last year, ours was at The Blue Martini - one of the nicest bars in WPB... full buffet of Lobster tail and filet mignon. When I got there, which was an hour late, the tab at the bar was $9,100. 160 people work here, so that's a max fo 320 people. Open bar was OPEN bar. The cheapest drink at the Blue Martini (not counting bottled beer which is $6) is a $12 basic Martini. They have Martinis that go all the way up to $32 a pop. Anyway, my one friend at work ordered a rocks of Johnny Walker. When the waitress asked which color, he almost fell over.

The party this year is:

http://www.tsunamirestaurant.com/

full open bar, full buffet again (I assume same food).

Ridiculous...

I know of the "should go" stuff, but I don't think evil plans are afoot.

Go to a few.  I'm sure that you will find some folks of good will, with no intent whatsoever other than amity.

145029[/snapback]

No evil plans, but folks do count noses. I'm the one who has no amity.

144999[/snapback]

Melody and I managed to create an excuse and beg out of hers.

Even so, I'm somehow stuck with buying her boss's Christmas gift.

Melody and I managed to create an excuse and beg out of hers. 

Even so, I'm somehow stuck with buying her boss's Christmas gift.

145069[/snapback]

That's because she doesn't care, and isn't going to do it.

That, and she has you to do it for her.

PW.