Here's my Training Camp Report from Thursday 8/5/10

Mike, I'm negotiating to buy Sports Ilustrated. If the deal is consumated you will be my feature writer.

If you happen to see Peter King tell him to go home because you would make a better replacement.

The people who have been at camp and giving updates have all been superb. Thank you all. :lol:

That would be awesome. Although if you bought Sports Illustrated, I would prefer to be your photographer, as long as I can upgrade to one of those huge cameras that they use instead of my crappy Kodak.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more person here to thank you for your reports!

It really seems like Roscoe Parrish is getting a lot of action in camp, as he's always one of the most mentioned receivers. Maybe this coaching staff can finally use him "properly" unlike previous staffs? It'd be awesome of he really steps up to the challenge.

It's harder than you think. No, I don't have a sidekick. I love taking photos and try to take as many as I can, in between writing notes. I basically just jot down the player's number and who they are throwing too, whether it was a good pass, bad pass, good catch, bad catch, drop, or if the defensive player made a play and i jot down their number too. I'll admit one thing, I estimate on the yardage sometimes if it's farther down the field from my view. And I jot that down too.

If I hear some people around me make a comment about a particular player that I was watching, I might also jot that down. Then when I get home, once I get time between working overnights and sleep...I take my notes and try to create it into a play-by-play for everyone who wasn't at camp to witness.

I like to add pictures to make the paragraphs and take my own photos for that. That's one reason why I don't get a lot of photos of the action, like the receiver making the catch or the RB breaking a tackle, because I'm trying to spot where they end up before the whistle is blown.

As for the special teams, they have those helmet covers for the players to wear when they simulate the opponent and are trying to practice against a scout team. It helps them to determine where the individidual players would go.

Mike,

By far your reports are the best. Thanks for all the hard work!!

How has Demetrius Bell and Cornell Green looked in pass protection? I know Bell has been limited in his return, but have you had a chance to get a good look at him so far?

It's harder than you think. No, I don't have a sidekick. I love taking photos and try to take as many as I can, in between writing notes. I basically just jot down the player's number and who they are throwing too, whether it was a good pass, bad pass, good catch, bad catch, drop, or if the defensive player made a play and i jot down their number too. I'll admit one thing, I estimate on the yardage sometimes if it's farther down the field from my view. And I jot that down too.

If I hear some people around me make a comment about a particular player that I was watching, I might also jot that down. Then when I get home, once I get time between working overnights and sleep...I take my notes and try to create it into a play-by-play for everyone who wasn't at camp to witness.

I like to add pictures to make the paragraphs and take my own photos for that. That's one reason why I don't get a lot of photos of the action, like the receiver making the catch or the RB breaking a tackle, because I'm trying to spot where they end up before the whistle is blown.

As for the special teams, they have those helmet covers for the players to wear when they simulate the opponent and are trying to practice against a scout team. It helps them to determine where the individidual players would go.

Mike, have you considered a hand held tape recorder? I was telling my wife that's how I thought you must be doing this. I am surprised to find out that you're taking notes on the fly. You must be a fast writer...

It really seems like Roscoe Parrish is getting a lot of action in camp, as he's always one of the most mentioned receivers. Maybe this coaching staff can finally use him "properly" unlike previous staffs? It'd be awesome of he really steps up to the challenge.

I always thought Roscoe was one of our better recent draft choices, & that he's been under utilized. He makes a mistake & DJ pulls the plug on him...sheesh! It appears Gailey has recognized his talent. I'm starting to think this is where Gailey is light years ahead of Dicky J...the ability to spot talent early on, & get the best guys in the thick of the action. How long did we have to shout at DJ to get Fast Freddie in?

thank you again :lol:

nice to read about carrington. im thinking hell be starting day 1.

I think Carrington is going to be a stud and will get a good deal of time but there is no way he will start this year. Stroud and Edwards are teh starters and both have looked good. As much as some people overreacted to the switch to a 3-4, we have a really good set of DEs to play it.

Thanks for the great reports.

Mike, your reports are truly appreciated ... thanks. Most happy to see Maybin fired up. Personally, I hope he proves all of those who call him "Maybinot," wrong. Anyway, thanks again. Awesome reports!!

GO BILLS!!!

That's one problem with Roscoe. He's always a camp star. But I'm hoping this year is different and he's ready to become more of a force...

Mike,

By far your reports are the best. Thanks for all the hard work!!

How has Demetrius Bell and Cornell Green looked in pass protection? I know Bell has been limited in his return, but have you had a chance to get a good look at him so far?

Demetrius Bell hasn't seen much action. He's missed most of the first week, but I've seen him look good. Green has been shaky in pass protection but solid as a run blocker.

Mike, have you considered a hand held tape recorder? I was telling my wife that's how I thought you must be doing this. I am surprised to find out that you're taking notes on the fly. You must be a fast writer...

I've never thought about that. I've always just jotted down little notes.

I always thought Roscoe was one of our better recent draft choices, & that he's been under utilized. He makes a mistake & DJ pulls the plug on him...sheesh! It appears Gailey has recognized his talent. I'm starting to think this is where Gailey is light years ahead of Dicky J...the ability to spot talent early on, & get the best guys in the thick of the action. How long did we have to shout at DJ to get Fast Freddie in?

I agree. I've always enjoyed watching Roscoe Parrish and hope that this is the year where we finally use him right.

Great report, thanks Mike. Any word on George Wilson, have not heard him in the mix as much.

George Wilson has been getting a lot of backup reps and doing a good job in pass coverage and all that. I'll try to watch him more often.

I think Carrington is going to be a stud and will get a good deal of time but there is no way he will start this year. Stroud and Edwards are teh starters and both have looked good. As much as some people overreacted to the switch to a 3-4, we have a really good set of DEs to play it.

Thanks for the great reports.

I agree. I love our DE's. Stroud looks like a solid fit at DE and Carrington looks like a definitely steal for us. He'll get a lot of reps.

Mike, your reports are truly appreciated ... thanks. Most happy to see Maybin fired up. Personally, I hope he proves all of those who call him "Maybinot," wrong. Anyway, thanks again. Awesome reports!!

GO BILLS!!!

No problem. I would also love to see Maybin step up and become a good player this year.

Great stuff Mike:

Question: Give me your best summary of Marshawn Lynch. Everything I read is great about him -- how's his attitude, work ethic, performance?

I've been impressed with him. For the last few years, he usually likes to use camp to have fun and joke around on the sideline. His attitude this year is different. He's out there working hard, pounding thru the holes and looks like the old Beast Mode again. I could see him having a breakout year to showcase himself in a trade.

That would be awesome. Although if you bought Sports Illustrated, I would prefer to be your photographer, as long as I can upgrade to one of those huge cameras that they use instead of my crappy Kodak.

If you want to be a photographer that is fine with me. But as an owner I will reserve the right to be the photographer for the Swimsuit issue. Just to let you know I am very meticulous. I will shoot from all angles and at all angles. :devil:

If you want to be a photographer that is fine with me. But as an owner I will reserve the right to be the photographer for the Swimsuit issue. Just to let you know I am very meticulous. I will shoot from all angles and at all angles. :devil:

Damn...that was the issue that I had special plans for. :ph34r:

I think our defense will be excellent this year. We have such solid talent in the backfield, and with the young influx on talent on the line we have a good chance to be a very, very solid defensive team. This is not going to be an easy offense to grasp, however. Trent looks like he has a chance to be a great game manager, but with this team this year the running game should be the number 1 priority. We have such talent at the RB/FB position and we have to use it.

Thank Mike, great report as usual.

I hear you about Chambers, he is one of the most experienced guy out there, but hopefully some of the younger guys can push him out of the roster. He's not a reliable vet, IMO.

Youboty the enigma. The guy is talented but he has to stay healthy. I remember the couple of bliztes he had before he injured in 2008, the guy is aggresive and could fit better in this defensive system. The guy looks bigger than the other CBs, except maybe for McKelvin and Florence. If there is something we will like about Edwards (DC) is that he will be sending CBs and safetie blitzs, can't wait to see Whitner in that regard.

Bell (LT) has to stay healthy, I believe he is talented enough to be more than a promise. We will see.

What the hell is that in your avatar? *LOL*

The burly guy on the right is our former #1 draft pick from PSU. Looks scrawny don't he? :devil:

Guy on the right left is (IIRC) Vernon Davis the 49ers TE. He's holding a stripper over his shoulder...they had a bash in Puerto Rico.