WGR 550

I meant you are not in a position as a journalist to say bad things about Sullivan.

I understand Schobel and Kelsay are friends. When talking about the effectiveness of players, described Kelsay/Denney with rolled eyes and a half retarded voice. It was accompanied with a slight masturbation gesture. he was frustrated that day. You have asked me to answer you that as if it would show that I don't know what I am talking about. You won't get far with that.

and you both were drinking, right?

jw

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant you are not in a position as a journalist to say bad things about Sullivan.

I understand Schobel and Kelsay are friends. When talking about the effectiveness of players, described Kelsay/Denney with rolled eyes and a half retarded voice. It was accompanied with a slight masturbation gesture. he was frustrated that day. You have asked me to answer you that as if it would show that I don't know what I am talking about. You won't get far with that.

John, you are being childish attempting to say that anyone who quotes Aaron is a scumbag. I said Sullivan is a liar and he is a shameless provocateur. You may not agree, but that has nothing to do with me.

As for your drinking comment, a beer isnt going to hurt anyone.

You might not agree with me, and you might not like me. That is ok. I think you are trying very hard to say something bad about me.

so, let's get this straight. Aaron Schobel understood that you were a member of the media, or that you made it clear before this conversation began that you were going to publish what was said, and he agreed to that, thus making this, as we in the business put it, "on the record."

if that was the case, then you were perfectly in the right to publish what you got.

at the very least, you have to understand how our business works. me, Jerry, Mark Gaughan, Leo Roth are identifiable members of the media and any conversations we have are generally understood to be "on the record," even when someone calls out some of us to be "liars."

aside from that, i've had numerous conversations with players in several bars, all of which i have never shared with the public because i regarded them to be off the record. but i guess you got "the scoop," while at the same time neglecting any real trust you might have engendered with such person.

if that is in fact the case, then that's quite callous and opportunistic on your part and truly deserve to wear this scumbag crown that you like to hand out willy nilly.

jw

Respectfully disagree. They are sports radio. They report Buffalo sports. They purposely choose not to discuss anything related to UB even when they won their conference in football, the tangents that they go off on are ridiculous.

They are a perfect example of a business that has become satisfied because they think they are the only show in town.

Since I don't live in Buffalo, what other sports networks do you have there?

Out west, and in most of the country, there's an ESPN radio channel and many cities have The Ticket Channel. Recently the SF market has added The Xtra which is a Sporting News Network.

John- You really show a total lack of professionalism flaming it out with other posters. Have some class.

I disagree entirely. Since when has good journalism ever been dispassionate? Don't conflate or confound objectivity with a lack of passion and conviction... Good for you, JW, for having the courage to buck the trend...

While I certainly understand the criticisms directed towards Mike Schopp (he hates football; he hates the Bills organization; he is arrogant and rude to callers on a consistent basis, frequently ignoring the main points they make and instead choosing to pick out some minor flaw in the caller's logic, which shows how petty and mean-spirited he is)... I must admit I've never understood the negatively directed towards Jerry Sullivan....

Look at his recent piece on Eric Wood. It can hardly be construed as negative or pessimistic. Sullivan is a good journalist. He's not from the area and he gives the team a fair shake. Yes, it's probably true that he has written more negative things over the years than positive things..., but maybe there's a reason for that? After all, unless I've missed something, the Bills have done more negative things than positive things over the last decade! His running commentary on the Bills simply reflects a poorly-run organization. Nothing more, nothing less.

And in fact, Sullivan is by far the best journalist on staff at TBN. He has a good sense of what it means to be a journalist -- and it's clear that he is a student of sports in general. He reads a lot of sports' history and he has insightful things to say about the games, and about the culture of sports. What more could we ask for? If you want sunshine and optimism, read Chris Brown, whose recent pondering about what C.J Spiller's birthday tweet "hinted at" (absolutely nothing) surely satisfied the "hope springs eternal" section of our fanbase...

While I certainly understand the criticisms directed towards Mike Schopp (he hates football; he hates the Bills organization; he is arrogant and rude to callers on a consistent basis, frequently ignoring the main points they make and instead choosing to pick out some minor flaw in the caller's logic, which shows how petty and mean-spirited he is)... I must admit I've never understood the negatively directed towards Jerry Sullivan....

Look at his recent piece on Eric Wood. It can hardly be construed as negative or pessimistic. Sullivan is a good journalist. He's not from the area and he gives the team a fair shake. Yes, it's probably true that he has written more negative things over the years than positive things..., but maybe there's a reason for that? After all, unless I've missed something, the Bills have done more negative things than positive things over the last decade! His running commentary on the Bills simply reflects a poorly-run organization. Nothing more, nothing less.

And in fact, Sullivan is by far the best journalist on staff at TBN. He has a good sense of what it means to be a journalist -- and it's clear that he is a student of sports in general. He reads a lot of sports' history and he has insightful things to say about the games, and about the culture of sports. What more could we ask for? If you want sunshine and optimism, read Chris Brown, whose recent pondering about what C.J Spiller's birthday tweet "hinted at" (absolutely nothing) surely satisfied the "hope springs eternal" section of our fanbase...

for someone with only 13 posts, you've come on strong. :lol:

jw

for someone with only 13 posts, you've come on strong. :lol:

jw

I was going to say the same thing. Good stuff. Sully is the best journalist at the News - although Mark Gaughan is a close second........Some of Sully's columns where he reflects on something are as good as I've ever read. In '99 during the Cup run, his article on Bills game day and Talley and "plugging in" to the biggest thing in sport and how lucky we are to do so, some Olympic ones, etc..........He's due for one of those great ones, though!

John, I am not interested in arguing with you about Sullivan. I have expressed my opinion. As for the Schobel issue, which we have been over several times already, I really dont have anything more to say to you. You have finally moved on from bickering with me over petty issues to calling me names. I hope you have gotten it all out.

Why was I under the impression that you are in recovery?

I am flattered by the fact that you remembered. This conversation with Schobel was last October after the first Miami loss, when I was tapering off of speed, opiates, and booze. I still drink a beer now and then. I remember talking about it with you and White's Bay.

I used to listen to WGR everyday when Coach Dickerson was on....he was a straight shooter and was passionate about the Bills. Used to call in and at least he would let you get your point across.

I stopped listening to WGR when after the Jets road loss in 08 when Schoop agreed with Jauron to let Loseman throw to the fullback on that play which he fumbled to let the Jets steal the game..... I thought to myself what a joke.

I will try out Weck 1230 now that camp is in full swing. I cant stand WGR anymore with there stupid topics. It is a shame because they could dominate the sports radio around here with the Jim Rome lead in.

I was listened today at work while moving stuff around and was so miffed because they didn't talk sports at all. I listened for at least an hour and nothing!!! They were talking about actors on SNL. I live in Washington State. I can hardly ever listen because I am at work and all I wanted was some Bills news and nothing!!

WGR sucks the afternoon crew is even worse. I don't waste my time tuning that station in :thumbsup::thumbdown::thumbdown: boy I miss the coach.

I used to listen to WGR the morning show, it was great. Then some guy named John Wa, Wa, Wawrow, started coming on. Eck :thumbdown:

:thumbdown:

Actually the morning show is very good. I listen to it everyday while at work. I think they take to many calls still. I cant stand listening to fans babble on like they actaully control teh show. Make your :thumbsup: ing point and hang up.

The afternoon shown is not the worst thing i have ever heard(Florida sports talk is awful, so is Boston). I like when the Bulldog talks hockey, he is very passionite towards it, and expresses the same concerns arguments the fans would.

I tend to turn them off when they do the drafts(food actor . . .) Dont listen to them as much as i used to.

I used to listen to WGR everyday when Coach Dickerson was on....he was a straight shooter and was passionate about the Bills. Used to call in and at least he would let you get your point across.

I stopped listening to WGR when after the Jets road loss in 08 when Schoop agreed with Jauron to let Loseman throw to the fullback on that play which he fumbled to let the Jets steal the game..... I thought to myself what a joke.

I will try out Weck 1230 now that camp is in full swing. I cant stand WGR anymore with there stupid topics. It is a shame because they could dominate the sports radio around here with the Jim Rome lead in.

I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for on WECK. I love it because Brad is not boring me with camp talk..........So, you and I have very opposite tastes (I hated Dickerson - you people think Schoop is anti-Bills - the coach was 10X him in that department)............But, if you like camp talk - GR has a show on at 7PM during camp to talk about it.

I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for on WECK. I love it because Brad is not boring me with camp talk..........So, you and I have very opposite tastes (I hated Dickerson - you people think Schoop is anti-Bills - the coach was 10X him in that department)............But, if you like camp talk - GR has a show on at 7PM during camp to talk about it.

I liked the coach, if only, because, beyond all his bluster, he knew what he was talking about, in a way that most of the other talking heads do not. He knows the game of football. I am not slamming the other talking heads, but what they do is talk about the league, rumors, etc etc I enjoy that stuff, but I feel like I actually learned something from Dickerson, about the actual game of football....something I have been watching religiously for 35 + years, even played a little, but would never consider myself an expert.... as for the other guys (ESPNers like Clayton and Mort), I like them too! They aren't always right, but they are talking football...it isn't rocket science.

I like Brad Riter okay, but I think he is a little "schticky" sometimes... but not a bad listen. He actually kind of reminds me a little of Shoop. When you have to listen to what passes for local sports radio in a college town (I live in Austin) you will realize, Riter, Howard, Shoop & Bull Dog, etc, do a pretty good job. I don't always agree with them, and I don't always want to hear them, so I turn them off. But, GR does a decent (not great) job of covering the Bills, and the Sabres. You guys who whine about them not talking about the Bills enough, must not listen very much. If I have any complaint about their Bills coverage, it is that they over analyze things a bit. It is a case of "too much" rather than "not enough"

I like Shoop okay, but I do agree, he is awful as the host of the Bills post game call in show. That is a bad assignment for him. As has been noted, football is not his thing, and it is obvious. I miss Howard Simon's postgame show.

Agree with whoever it was, who said to listen to WEEI radio, if you want to hear great sports radio. I love the Celtics (sorry) but I loathe all other Boston/New England area teams. I listen to WEEI a lot during the NBA season, especially the playoffs. While I am listening for Celtics talk, they get me interested in baseball (as much as I can be) and I don't mind hearing about the ins and outs of the Bruins and Pats.

As for Jerry Sullivan...people here jump all over Sullivan's negativity, but post the same stuff themselves. I have always said of Jerry Sullivan, he says what people don't want to here, when they least want to hear it.

So, in summary, quit whining you bunch of babys!!! :devil: