Why Not Us

Link

A review of the radio interview of Chan Gailey by Tim Graham. Don't know if its been posted yet. Liked what Chan had to say.

Then Tim let this one fly "The Bills would need to break out of an organizational funk to reach the playoffs, a feat that might be more miraculous than the Dolphins rebounding from 1-15 to win the division in 2008."

Man he is a hater. I mean its like he thinks "well obviously the dolphins could do it, but no way the bills could ever rebound like that." I'm not saying we are gonna turn around and win the division, but I mean it is in the realm of possibility if the dolphins could do it.

Link

A review of the radio interview of Chan Gailey by Tim Graham. Don't know if its been posted yet. Liked what Chan had to say.

Then Tim let this one fly "The Bills would need to break out of an organizational funk to reach the playoffs, a feat that might be more miraculous than the Dolphins rebounding from 1-15 to win the division in 2008."

Man he is a hater. I mean its like he thinks "well obviously the dolphins could do it, but no way the bills could ever rebound like that." I'm not saying we are gonna turn around and win the division, but I mean it is in the realm of possibility if the dolphins could do it.

I can see where he's coming from though. Sure the Dolphins had a miserable year, but they had recent success prior to that 1-15 season. Unfortunately, losing has become an institution here in Buffalo with the all of the GM/Coach changes we've had.

With that being said, I really feel Nix & Gailey are the right people to bring respect back to this franchise. It might take a year or two (and releasing AS is sure giving the haters all the ammo they could possibly want) but we will improve.

Link

i think i may have a man-crush developing for mr. gailey. every time i hear what he has to say i find myself thinking "hell yeah! that's OUR coach!" anyway...just wanted to say go bills!

Sure the Dolphins had a miserable year, but they had recent success prior to that 1-15 season.

I would say they had limited success prior. The year prior to being 1-15 they were 6-10. Two years before that they were 4-12. They hadn't been to the playoffs since 2001. They were in shambles really, Dave Wanstedt bailed on the team mid season. Then Lou Saban came in and that didn't work.

Link

Keep in mind though, they had Parcells, we don't. Gotta admit, the man's a genius at turning teams around.

Link

I'm not going to say it's impossible but QB is the most important position and Offensive line is the most important unit and the Bills are unproven at those positions to say the least- the NFL is a passing league, I mean Chris Johnson had what 2500+ total yards and the Titians didn't make the playoffs, the Bills are unproven at QB, OTs, #2WR, and TE. The defense has a little more talent but most of them are going to be rookies in the 3-4.

What I wonder is has any team made it to the playoffs on interceptions and the return game.

Who's to say it can't happen? I guess you can say it already did back in 02. They were coming off a 3-13 campaign in 01 and they got Bledsoe and turned it around to 8-8 in 02. Not as impressive as the Dolphins but in 02 8-8 was good enough to only finish 1 game behind the Pats Dolphins and Jets. Hell, they even lost that opener to the Jets in OT. I just don't think this team has made enough moves this offseason to turn it around in a year. But thats fine, they need another good draft, see what the new CBA is before they can gear up for a long run. I like the direction this team is headed in and i think the 2012 Bills will be a serious contender for a division title, I just don't think the 2010 Bills will be.

Games turn on single plays. Do we have to rehash last season blown games? If Gailey can be a better game manager than Jauron, as long as we are close we can win.

This is not a lost cause. In fact the more the media talks us down the better. If a) Gailey can draw up effective game plans, and b) our offense can execute them, we will win games. Our D will be able to hold its own. Our DBs are solid and Troup, Carrington and Coleman look like gamers.

PTR

Link

The Dolphins had the first draft pick that year and picked a great LT, Jake Long, who was instantly one of the best in football. They also had a horrible QB and brought in Chad Pennington as an FA. The Bills haven't made any moves like either one the Fins made.

Sure, it's possible. Anything's possible. There's just an extremely low chance of it happening.

Graham isn't a hater. He's a guy who has a realistic viewpoint and expresses himself. That's what reporters should do. They shouldn't love a team and every year say they are going to the playoffs. That's for Kool-Aid drinking fans.

I do like what Gailey had to say, though. But we almost always do. Gregg Williams sounded great. People forget that. Still, when and if we get the personnel to win, I think Gailey could be the guy to make it all work. I'm expecting/hoping that to happen around 2012.

Link

"Why not us?"

That's the exact question Bill Snyder asked when he arrived at Kansas State in 1989.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2604585

(It is actually a good article if you like optimism)

So why? Why would this 49-year-old highly successful offensive coordinator from the University of Iowa risk his football reputation by accepting the challenge in a location dubbed "Futility U." by "Sports Illustrated"?

"A diminutive IQ," quips Snyder.

But seriously, why?

Interrupting the question, Snyder, 17 seasons removed from first saying "I do" to the Kansas State University program, explained:

"I believed in the people. Yes, the program was down, but I guess I asked myself the question, 'Why couldn't Kansas State win? Why did the past have to dictate the future?' As far as having 500 losses and all the history that went with Kansas State football, I wasn't concerned with that."

That's the exact question Bill Snyder asked when he arrived at Kansas State in 1989.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2604585

(It is actually a good article if you like optimism)

So why? Why would this 49-year-old highly successful offensive coordinator from the University of Iowa risk his football reputation by accepting the challenge in a location dubbed "Futility U." by "Sports Illustrated"?

"A diminutive IQ," quips Snyder.

But seriously, why?

Interrupting the question, Snyder, 17 seasons removed from first saying "I do" to the Kansas State University program, explained:

"I believed in the people. Yes, the program was down, but I guess I asked myself the question, 'Why couldn't Kansas State win? Why did the past have to dictate the future?' As far as having 500 losses and all the history that went with Kansas State football, I wasn't concerned with that."

This is a good comparison, a really good one.

Snyder's first year, they won one game. The second year they went 5 - 6. And after that, they became a damn good football team.

A very good comparison.

Simply because this team is in to much transition by completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes. Plus most of the coaches have college experience and not NFL experience, so the coaches need to learn as well as the players.

The DC is the LB coach from the Dolphins, last year that team had some serious issues with stopping teams in the red zone. also stopping big plays.

The Miami Dolphins went 1-15 mostly because the starting QB Trent Green went out for the year and his back up was Cleo Lemon, plus their new D tanked.

Although I like some of the moves the Bills made this off season, I have to question other moves. Most seem to think the Bills failed to upgrade several key positions on the team. Guess we will find out very soon if that is true or not.

I'm not going to say it's impossible but QB is the most important position and Offensive line is the most important unit and the Bills are unproven at those positions to say the least- the NFL is a passing league, I mean Chris Johnson had what 2500+ total yards and the Titians didn't make the playoffs, the Bills are unproven at QB, OTs, #2WR, and TE. The defense has a little more talent but most of them are going to be rookies in the 3-4.

What I wonder is has any team made it to the playoffs on interceptions and the return game.

The Baltimore Ravens many times this decade have made the playoffs on the performance of the defense and some Running game.

If the Bills can improve their running game and play solid defense to stop the Run, the Passing offense can come along slowly and the Bills would have a chance to win some of the games.

If you look at the last couple of seasons, we were very close to winning anohter 3-4 ball games every year, but lacked the ability to run the ball effectively to run out the clock or stop the run to get the ball back. If Chan can fix those two issues, we have a good chance....Not to mention, the biggest challenge will be to keep these guys off the IR list.....Something Jauron could not do.

The Dolphins had the first draft pick that year and picked a great LT, Jake Long, who was instantly one of the best in football. They also had a horrible QB and brought in Chad Pennington as an FA. The Bills haven't made any moves like either one the Fins made.

Sure, it's possible. Anything's possible. There's just an extremely low chance of it happening.

Graham isn't a hater. He's a guy who has a realistic viewpoint and expresses himself. That's what reporters should do. They shouldn't love a team and every year say they are going to the playoffs. That's for Kool-Aid drinking fans.

I do like what Gailey had to say, though. But we almost always do. Gregg Williams sounded great. People forget that. Still, when and if we get the personnel to win, I think Gailey could be the guy to make it all work. I'm expecting/hoping that to happen around 2012.

+1