Sunday Practice, O-line, D-line drills

Yes, he was off balance at times and knocked down a few, BUT the dude can fly around the corner. He makes the O-lineman come way out to get him, maybe a good combo to blitz under his fast outside moves - there is a huge hole when they slide to get him.

Marshawn is running in Beast mode already, he looks ready to play.

All of the QB's do not seem to get the ball out wide on the intermediate routes, but they all looked OK on short patterns.

D-Line was crushing the middle of the O-line during the drills.

Roscoe is catching everything thrown near him.

I'll be happy if Maybe can do anything of value this season. Even if it's just Poz throwing him into the ball carrier, that's more value than we got out of him last season.

1. Aaron Maybin could very well be the biggest bust since Mike Williams. He looks like a friggin WR out there. I don't care how much muscle he has - he doesn't have any mass. He may be quick but I saw him getting thrown on his ass by our 2nd string lineman (who probably wouldn't make 4th string on any other team). Very disappointed in him and unless our coaches are planning to move him to safety I'd say he won't see much of the field this year either. Chris Ellis is ahead of him right now.

So who is closer to the truth?

PTR

Yes, he was off balance at times and knocked down a few, BUT the dude can fly around the corner. He makes the O-lineman come way out to get him, maybe a good combo to blitz under his fast outside moves - there is a huge hole when they slide to get him.

Marshawn is running in Beast mode already, he looks ready to play.

All of the QB's do not seem to get the ball out wide on the intermediate routes, but they all looked OK on short patterns.

D-Line was crushing the middle of the O-line during the drills.

Roscoe is catching everything thrown near him.

There it is - the first, "this guy looks awesome" yadda yadda yadda post... It's back!

I've learned to take training camp reports with a grain of salt. I like reading (most of) them, but realize they don't predict a whole lot.

You can even carry that out to preseason games, too...a lot of the times, a team will look like a world beater in the preseason only to look like poop once the real bullets fly, and vice versa.

You can even carry that out to preseason games, too...a lot of the times, a team will look like a world beater in the preseason only to look like poop once the real bullets fly, and vice versa.

True. The season is the ultimate judge.

knox is closer to the truth. Maybin looked great in 11v11 drills. A little off balance, yes, but he intentionally dove away from QB legs at least 3 times.

First, I appreciate all the camp reports - it's fun to get different takes and many pick up things that i didn't focus on. As for Maybin and his quickness, I will give you that-- and I said as much in my camp report. But...he was running mostly with the 2nd and third rotations and going up against Wang and the other backups throughout the practice. Was he quick - absolutely. He beat them on several occasions because of the quickness -- but he was also buried by them on at least one occasion -- and I stand by my overall assessment that he is noticeably smaller than an outside LB should be. I think he would have a very difficult time beating an experienced first-string LT on speed alone. I do not think he has enough power nor do I think he plays "low enough" to establish any leverage against starting offensive lineman.

But...you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you are right for the sake of our defense!

First, I appreciate all the camp reports - it's fun to get different takes and many pick up things that i didn't focus on. As for Maybin and his quickness, I will give you that-- and I said as much in my camp report. But...he was running mostly with the 2nd and third rotations and going up against Wang and the other backups throughout the practice. Was he quick - absolutely. He beat them on several occasions because of the quickness -- but he was also buried by them on at least one occasion -- and I stand by my overall assessment that he is noticeably smaller than an outside LB should be. I think he would have a very difficult time beating an experienced first-string LT on speed alone. I do not think he has enough power nor do I think he plays "low enough" to establish any leverage against starting offensive lineman.

But...you are entitled to your opinion and I hope you are right for the sake of our defense!

Unfortunately, none of the Bills LT's looked good, even in position drills. So, I would hope that Maybin and Torbor would be abusing the LT's. The only time that LT's didn't stick out was with Meredith, imo. But Meredith did drills on the right side for everything that wasn't 7v7,9v9,or 11v11.

If Chan goes with a run-centric offense, which I'm thinking more and more that he might, short patterns might be all the QB's will be asked to execute.

For all you Maybin can't beat OT's people let me clue you in on something. The OLB often will be matched against a TE, H-back, or simply a RB. Yes there will be times where he will be just outside the tackle's shoulder but there will be many times when he won't. This is the beauty of the 3-4. As pointed out above if he takes the tackle wide then the ILB or SS can shoot the gap that is created. If the DL shifts then the DE will engage the tackle forcing a RB to pick Maybin up.

For all you Maybin can't beat OT's people let me clue you in on something. The OLB often will be matched against a TE, H-back, or simply a RB. Yes there will be times where he will be just outside the tackle's shoulder but there will be many times when he won't. This is the beauty of the 3-4. As pointed out above if he takes the tackle wide then the ILB or SS can shoot the gap that is created. If the DL shifts then the DE will engage the tackle forcing a RB to pick Maybin up.

Valid point especially on passing downs. I don't see many OLB's bowling over OT's.