Why Trent is the Starter

Starting Trent is the no-lose choice.

If he's good, you look like a genius for starting him.

If he sucks, you have a chance to sell Brohm as a winner who will take over.

I gotta say Brohm looks like the snappier QB.

He has quicker feet and a quicker release, looks pretty accurate.

He could come in after Trent has a ****ty game, or a concussion.

Here is the reality of the 'winner' of this QB competition.... you know that little white speck on the top of chicken ****? Its still chicken ****....

Interesting theory. I've certainly heard stranger ones. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. There's a chance that neither is going to be our starter before all is said and done.

As for Brohm v. Edwards feet and release? I'll call the feet a draw but Edwards has one of the quickest releases in the game. Brohm doesn't come close. But Brohm seems to have the livelier arm.

I'll give Brohm the overall accuracy count. Although they're close.

GO BILLS!!!

Well let's remember that the late Bill Walsh thought Trent was going to be a good one. Dick(less) Jauron could f**k up a wet dream. It's entirely reasonable to think Chan sees what Bill saw and thinks he can develop Trent.

PTR

So we'll be seeing Brohm like week 5 or 6, just in time to say goodbye to another season?

Well let's remember that the late Bill Walsh thought Trent was going to be a good one. Dick(less) Jauron could f**k up a wet dream. It's entirely reasonable to think Chan sees what Bill saw and thinks he can develop Trent.

PTR

Yeah Bill Walsh also talked San Fran into thinking Drunkenmiller would be great too. How did that work out?

Yeah Bill Walsh also talked San Fran into thinking Drunkenmiller would be great too. How did that work out?

Walsh was also touting Rick Mirer as the next Joe Montana...swing and a miss there too.

Walsh was also touting Rick Mirer as the next Joe Montana...swing and a miss there too.

Bill also though that Steve Fuller would be better then Joe Montana when they came out of college. Wanted to draft Fuller but Marv beat him to it. Another whiff.

That's OK, Steve did win a gold record and a platinum video award for his part in the Super Bowl Shuffle video.

With this O-Line, I'm afraid we'll see more than 1 starting QB this season.

Let's hope Chan can coach TE, Brohm and Fitz all to new heights. We'll need more than one to shine.

Channel the Kelly years. Jimbo did better with Andre and McKeller, Reich did better with Beebe and Lofton. How did that happen?

Interesting theory. I've certainly heard stranger ones. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. There's a chance that neither is going to be our starter before all is said and done.

As for Brohm v. Edwards feet and release? I'll call the feet a draw but Edwards has one of the quickest releases in the game. Brohm doesn't come close. But Brohm seems to have the livelier arm.

GO BILLS!!!

I think BBfan is right that making TE the starter is a no lose situation. Personally (and like all on this board I have been wrong bigtime before, my GUESS is that Brohm wins the starting nod by the end of the season.

I say this not due to any great belief in Brohm (unfortunately). While I think the reality of subjective experience indiicates he has the talent to be a very good NFL player he appears to lack that often intangible moxie which can make a good athlete a great one.

My sense is one of the main tasks confronting Gailey in using Brohm well is to actually restore some of his confidence. If he beats out TE in what Gailey calls an open competition he has taken the first step on the road to greatness.

If he does not win the job no harm no foul for us,

The reason I think TE will not win the job is NOT because I do not think he is a talented QB. He looked great initially against non talented teams. However two things happened:

1. Jauron with the fired Turk really had no offense to do a lot with.

2. In his initial two seasons Edwards proved to be injury prone which I define as missing significant PT 3 times in 2 years to different injuries.

Maybe Gailey wizard that he has shown himself to be with an offense he can build us to fit TEs strengths.

Maybe TE has matured enough physically that he is no longer injury prone,

These two things can happen but I doubt they will and thus I think Brohm gets a shot,

The White part is actually the urine, since Birds and Lizards don't pee. Just a side note for those who may not know.

Who knows it may all have been a lack of coaching that made trent fail, and now that he has a offensive minded coach things will turn around, thigpen looked good under gailey's instructions....Coastal Carolina is no Stanford, I recall touring the School while on Spring break in High School, by touring I mean partying...At the time that was what it was known for. Trent is smart, and maybe Chan can bring it out/

Channel the Kelly years. Jimbo did better with Andre and McKeller, Reich did better with Beebe and Lofton. How did that happen?

I seem to recall Reich and Reed doing very well together, more so than Reich and Beebe.

Comeback game against Houston? I think Reed had 3 TD catches.......

its only rational that trent gets first crack here, which is why the greatness that is me predicted it months ago

once you consider the scenarios its the only logical choice

- a qb competition between these three is going to be unreliable until a few real games are played. the choice is almost arbitrary until then

- theres no young hotshot that you have to play; nobody really has a leg up anywhere; levi is a non-factor for now

- if you give edwards first shot you can still come back to brohm, who loses nothing (potential, promise, hype) in the process

- if you start brohm now you can only come back to edwards if brohm and potentially fitz gets hurt/bombs. iow, you damage trents situation even tho he hasnt taken a reg season snap yet

- if you start fitz now your team is in deep ****, youre a retard, and you need to find a job as far away from coaching as possible

- if edwards starts now and turns into a competent nfl starter great! you have a player and you still have your up and coming contender for the crown putting psychological pressure on trent

- if edwards bombs then all you have really lost is a few games - which might be significant depending on how long it takes to re-earn the bomb label, but balanced against the more important chance to recover edwards as a resource of some kind you have to take that chance. brohm would still get a ton of good development starting the last half of the season or more, almost as much as he would have got if he started the season

so really there always was only one choice. unless one of the other guys turned into some kind of freakish training camp football throwing automaton with perfect compl pcentage you really simply have to go with edwards in this sitch

yes you may bow now and no youre not worthy

GO BILLS!!!

It's the mechanics that allow Trent to have a faster release. Trent brings the ball straight up to his ear and pushes the ball forward like a shotputter. Brohm actually has a windup like every other person who throws footballs. This being said, yes Trents release is faster but not necessarily better.

Try it yourself in your backyard, throw like Trent and you will see it is faster and more accurate short, as the target gets further away it takes more to get it to that target and thus not as accurate and a lot less velocity on the ball. Then do a windup (like everyone else) and, yes the release point is slower but there is no drop off on anything as the target gets further away.

Trent has bad throwing mechanics (Toronto Blue Jays guest opening pitch) and they are not conducive to being an NFL QB.

It's the mechanics that allow Trent to have a faster release. Trent brings the ball straight up to his ear and pushes the ball forward like a shotputter. Brohm actually has a windup like every other person who throws footballs. This being said, yes Trents release is faster but not necessarily better.

Try it yourself in your backyard, throw like Trent and you will see it is faster and more accurate short, as the target gets further away it takes more to get it to that target and thus not as accurate and a lot less velocity on the ball. Then do a windup (like everyone else) and, yes the release point is slower but there is no drop off on anything as the target gets further away.

Trent has bad throwing mechanics (Toronto Blue Jays guest opening pitch) and they are not conducive to being an NFL QB.

Everyone wants to ignore that fact