Gailey weighs in on the 3/4 defense

The big thing is that the starters won't be able to play every snap. I think we will get gouged when our backups are in there- the starters may as well. Rome wasn't built in a day.

This season needs to be judged more subjectively than objectively- the record won't be good, but I think we are making progress.

You could realistically have said this in 2006 and 2007 as well.

I think the real problem- the front office has been fixed. For all the finger pointing at Jauron, Russ Brandon and John Guy made a mess.

You could realistically have said this in 2006 and 2007 as well.

Not really as we were in the 4-3 for awhile at that point and it was painfully obvious our guys were too damn small and had nothing left late in the game. This is a rebuild and one that will make this team bigger and stronger.

The big thing is that the starters won't be able to play every snap. I think we will get gouged when our backups are in there- the starters may as well. Rome wasn't built in a day.

This season needs to be judged more subjectively than objectively- the record won't be good, but I think we are making progress.

Taking your second paragraph first, I agree. We could conceivably be a better team on both sides of the ball and end up with a worse record than last season. Anytime you are installing new systems on offense and defense it's a huge adjustment for players to make. It's reasonable to think there will be growing pains.

That said, I am encouraged by the success GB had in their conversion to the 3-4 last season. The key for them was outstanding secondary play, especially from their CBs, which enabled them to do things with their front seven that you simply can't do when you're weak in the D backfield. I like our guys and think we'll be able to do certain things when they get comfortable. We've got better athletes back there who have been restrained by a too conservative approach previously.

I have to temper my thoughts about the defense a little because GB's defense played with the luxury of that explosive offense. Their O put a LOT of pressure on opposing Os to play catch-up much of the time which allowed GB's defense to dictate more often than not, especially in the 4th quarter.

Regardless, I don't expect miracles. Just continued improvement from week to week by players who don't know the meaning of quit.

GO BILLS!!!

That said, I am encouraged by the success GB had in their conversion to the 3-4 last season. The key for them was outstanding secondary play, especially from their CBs, which enabled them to do things with their front seven that you simply can't do when you're weak in the D backfield. I like our guys and think we'll be able to do certain things when they get comfortable. We've got better athletes back there who have been restrained by a too conservative approach previously.

It's one thing to convert to the 3-4, but doing so from a T2 is a lot different. GB had the guys who played DT (Pickett, Jenkins, et al) that then became 3-4 DE or NT's. They drafted a guy in the first round 09 in Matthews who tallied 10 sacks, not to mention having an outstanding secondary. GB also had Dom Capers coordinating with that offense you mentioned.

I'm not saying the Packers defense was stellar, but they had the pieces to convert that Buffalo doesn't.

It's one thing to convert to the 3-4, but doing so from a T2 is a lot different. GB had the guys who played DT (Pickett, Jenkins, et al) that then became 3-4 DE or NT's. They drafted a guy in the first round 09 in Matthews who tallied 10 sacks, not to mention having an outstanding secondary. GB also had Dom Capers coordinating with that offense you mentioned.

I'm not saying the Packers defense was stellar, but they had the pieces to convert that Buffalo doesn't.

Did Stroud and Williams not play DT?

Did Stroud and Williams not play DT?

They played DT in a much different defense last year than GB did in 2008. Point is, GB already had the pieces to make a more seamless transition. Ryan Pickett played a lot of NT in 09, and at 6'4 330 is better suited to move from DT than Williams. Stroud may be a better bet to go from 4-3 3 tech DT to 3-4 DE, but he's 32, in his 10th season, and didn't play that well. Still, he dropped weight and reports are he's healthy entering the season.

The key will be getting good play out of the NT. Williams is not a Jay Ratliff or Kris Jenkins type, so I'm not optimistic they'll be better there. And we haven't even discussed who's going to be rushing the passer, the other element necessary to having a successful 3-4.

The idea that the Bills players are "Tampa 2" players is silly. I'd say that only Ellison and the recently-retired DiGiorgio were Tampa 2 players. Stroud played in a traditional 4-3 for most of his career, and his 300# frame will be playing DE. Edwards is a proven 3-4 DE. Williams will be a 1-gap NT like Ratliff. Former DE's Schobel, Maybin, and Kelsay will be playing OLB. Davis is well-versed in the 3-4 as an ILB. Poz ad Mitchell can play 3-4 ILB. And the secondary is outstanding.