Jack Tatum dead at 61

It is such a sad commentary on our society and especially on certain members of this discussion board that anyone would wish that another human spirit not have peace. And, to think that one brutal awful play in a violent game would lead to this ongoing bitterness is such a shame.

I did not know Jack Tatum (may he rest in peace) ... I have never been an Oakland Raider fan nor have I ever appreciated the 'Raider style' of playing on the edge of the boundaries of the rules of the game. When the hit happened the game was more violent ... it's not an excuse.

When Darryl Stingley died, Tatum said, "I am deeply saddened by the death of Darryl Stingley," Tatum said in a statement released by the Raiders. "Darryl will be forever remembered for his strength and courage. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family." No, they never reconciled and no Tatum never made an apology that restored his image but when the hit occured there was no penalty called ... the New England Patriots' coach did not scream that it was an illegal hit ... it was just a very sad awful moment in time ...

But, what those who are wishing no peace for Jack Tatum should do is to hear the words of Darryl Stingley shortly after Jack Tatum lost a leg to diabetes. He was asked if this was a way of settling things but Stingley said, "I don't accept human nature as our real nature. Human nature teaches us to hate. God teaches us to love."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2826562

Life would be so much better if those of you filled with hate for people who play on sports teams or people of differing political views learned to love rather than allowing yourselves to be swallowed up by such a sickening hateful spirit.

Darryl Stingley (may he also rest in peace) was so right and any person of faith need only turn to God's Holy Word to discover the attitude we are supposed to have ... if we are willing to be the children of God.

:blink:

What else is there to say?

Thirty years to talk to him. Thirty years and he never does it, even though he suggests it be done in a way that would have made him money, and when Stingley turns him down for the reason it would make him money, Tatum never did it. No class.

He might have been a sweetheart at benefits and dinners. I don't care, and I think the Pats interviewed for that piece are dead on. I don't blame him for the hit. I blame him for not reaching out.

And if you think that isn't true because it's on the internet, let's hear you prove it's not true.

Tatum tried to see Stingley in the hospital shortly after the hit. He was turned away by Stingleys family,who accused him of dirty play and blamed him for the incident. Tatum tried a few more times over the years and was always rebuffed. The only way he was ever going to reconcile with Stingley is if Tatum accepted blame,apologized and asked for forgiveness. He wasn't going to do that,as he felt he had done nothing wrong. It was a hard,clean hit. The kind of hit football fans love as long as the opponent gets up. It was an unfortunate incident that has been told from only one side by most of the media.

RIP Jack..."the anti-donte whitner" lol

I have my own thoughts on the Stingley hit but this isn't the time or place for that....when I heard about the death of Tatum it made me sad to see another NFL pioneer pass away. Jack Tatum was ferocious and played in an era where the game was so much better and pure IMO(and well just about anybody else who knows the difference), you will never see another Jack Tatum!

RIP Jack..."the anti-donte whitner" lol

I have my own thoughts on the Stingley hit but this isn't the time or place for that....when I heard about the death of Tatum it made me sad to see another NFL pioneer pass away. Jack Tatum was ferocious and played in an era where the game was so much better and pure IMO(and well just about anybody else who knows the difference), you will never see another Jack Tatum!

It's been a few days. This won't come up again........I'd like to know your thoughts on the Stingley hit........I wish I could see it somewhere to make my own judgment.

Yeah,you read it on the internet so it must be true. You should try finding out the whole story before ripping a man after he's passed. You stay classy buddy.

Tatum is the guy that lacked class not this poster. The guy made up a lot of excuses later in life but IMO he was a dirt ball.

It's been a few days. This won't come up again........I'd like to know your thoughts on the Stingley hit........I wish I could see it somewhere to make my own judgment.

I still don't wanna get too into it, but I will say to be honest Tatum was known as a dirty player, check out his highlight reel for verification http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lYWg0_Yz8, I cannot deny he played dirty and he had alot of questionable hits, but my thing is back then that was the mentality of alot of football players. These guys wern't all twitter buddies back in the day, it was an unfortunate incident for sure but Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, Ronnie Lott any one of these guys could've dished out a career(life) ending injury they were just lucky an inch here or there didn't occur. It is the nature of this game, it is a very violent sport and back in those days players really took on a mentality of trying to knock the life out of the guy on the other team which you don't see anymore. I think its a shame that it happened but I really can't have any bad feelings towards Tatum for that particular hit because it is the nature of the game.

I still don't wanna get too into it, but I will say to be honest Tatum was known as a dirty player, check out his highlight reel for verification http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lYWg0_Yz8, I cannot deny he played dirty and he had alot of questionable hits, but my thing is back then that was the mentality of alot of football players. These guys wern't all twitter buddies back in the day, it was an unfortunate incident for sure but Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, Ronnie Lott any one of these guys could've dished out a career(life) ending injury they were just lucky an inch here or there didn't occur. It is the nature of this game, it is a very violent sport and back in those days players really took on a mentality of trying to knock the life out of the guy on the other team which you don't see anymore. I think its a shame that it happened but I really can't have any bad feelings towards Tatum for that particular hit because it is the nature of the game.

Wow, I was not a fan of his, not because of the Stingley hit (which I have yet to see, so I don't have an opinion on), but for the fact that him and Atkinson would have bets on who would knock the first guy out of the game, etc..........I thought he did it cleanly, though. This video proves otherwise........If that's purer football, then don't sign me up..........I think the hardest hitting defensive back I've ever seen is Antoine Winfield. And, the thing is I don't remember him ever make a dirty hit.

Wow, I was not a fan of his, not because of the Stingley hit (which I have yet to see, so I don't have an opinion on), but for the fact that him and Atkinson would have bets on who would knock the first guy out of the game, etc..........I thought he did it cleanly, though. This video proves otherwise........If that's purer football, then don't sign me up..........I think the hardest hitting defensive back I've ever seen is Antoine Winfield. And, the thing is I don't remember him ever make a dirty hit.

???????????

Anyway, Winfield's biggest hits were put on RBs, rarely the WRs he was covering.

That era was different and led to a lot of the rule changes we've seen since. Most of the stuff people complain about when they watch those videos were legal at that time.

I can only imagine the uproar if Lambert tossed Cliff Harris on his head today like he did back in the '75 Super Bowl. Back then it was "protecting a teammate".

That era was different and led to a lot of the rule changes we've seen since. Most of the stuff people complain about when they watch those videos were legal at that time.

I can only imagine the uproar if Lambert tossed Cliff Harris on his head today like he did back in the '75 Super Bowl. Back then it was "protecting a teammate".

Exactly right. :flirt: