Chester Pitts working out for Buffalo

Lothar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that the large majority of his experience is at guard, not tackle.

Also note that CB mentioned that the Bills were looking for "interior line depth."

Undoubtedly they need more experienced interior linemen but it's interesting that most everyone has been clamoring about the tackles and here they bring in a guard for a look-see.

Pre-knee injury scouting report:

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 75 | Key

Comment: Pitts has pretty much become the ironman, on the offensive line, for the Houston Texans as he has started all 16 games for the previous seven years, his whole NFL career. He is the starting right guard and has done a good job of anchoring the line while the staff has tried to find the right combination of players around him. He has excellent size, agility and body control for the position and above average speed when pulling. He is a decent knee bender who works hard to try and leverage his blocks with a good pad level and understands blocking angles as well as hand use. He is not a bulldozer but can hold his own on the line when drive blocking and has the ability to sink his hips to bow up against some of the better bull rushers. He more of a finesse blocker than an overpowering one but he will flash the ability to cave things in with a down block. He is a quality starter who won't be the weakest link on this offensive line.

Sounds like a very solid player to me. He is the 12th rated Guard in all of the NFL. This makes me think his knee injury was very severe.

Also note that CB mentioned that the Bills were looking for "interior line depth."

Undoubtedly they need more experienced interior linemen but it's interesting that most everyone has been clamoring about the tackles and here they bring in a guard for a look-see.

Who do you release at tackle? Buddy had a direct hand in bringing in Wang and Green, Bell and Meredith both have potential. Heck, Buddy may have had a hand in Meredith as well. I think that's why Chris Brown has been saying they will probably get interior help instead. Maybe if Bell/Meredith lay an egg in camp they can move Pitts out to LT, but if he's needed inside because of injury that puts one of those guys back into the lineup.

I think we've hitched our wagons to the current group of OT's and we'll see what happens. Injuries are probably going to be the only thing that changes our roster at OT.

With Wood coming off the injury, I suspect they're concerned about giving him too many snaps during the first half of the season.

Pitts would be a valuable swing guy who'd be a good tutor for Levitre and Wood as well.

This story broke over the weekend, and it was rumored that 4 teams were interested, as per his agent.

The agent would not declare the teams, but we know 3 of them now- with the Bills being 1 of the 4.

I'm happy the Bills appear to have their act together, and seem to be constantly scouring the waiver wire for good players. It is this way that they will get better. Bring in solid free agents, make trades to your advantage, and draft highly talented players.

In time, my friends, all will be well in Bills land.

Solid... but I'm more worried for Left Tackle.

Yes, but I would like to lose Chambers once and for all.

And let's not forget that Flozell Adams and Marcus McNeill may still be in play.

Tackles, especially LTs, are very difficult to acquire. Most teams covet and keep their tackles if they are good. I thought that Jammal Brown would have been a nice pickup for us. I'm not really sure how interested the Bills were in the former Saint. He was traded to the Redskins for very little in return.

Tackles, especially LTs, are very difficult to acquire. Most teams covet and keep their tackles if they are good. I thought that Jammal Brown would have been a nice pickup for us. I'm not really sure how interested the Bills were in the former Saint. He was traded to the Redskins for very little in return.

But he held all of the cards needing a contract extension.

But he held all of the cards needing a contract extension.

He had a contract for this year. He wanted an extension with the Saints and they declined. I don't believe that the Skins have given him an extension. Another way of looking at the Jammal Brown situation is that he is playing for his next contract. Even if he would not sign an extension with the Bills it would give the team more flexibility and delpth on the line this year and allow Bell and Meredith more time to develop and work their way into the lineup.