How long will it take for the Bills to become a serious

When will the Bills contend for a Title?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. When will the Bills contend for a Title?

• 2 to 3 years
    • 3 to 5 years
    • Not in my lifetime
    • They are a contender now

three years is possible. I think if Gailey and Nix finally show some stuff (they haven't yet), address the two obvious needs at qb and offensive line, keep the existing players of quality (especially at running back), there is no reason we shouldn't be into the playoffs in the third year of their reign. There actions to date don't make me optimistic, but hey its early yet. Let's see how they handle this season.

What do you guys think?

Depends on when (or even if) this organization gets on the right track.

We all would like to think that Chan is going to be a great coach who will get the most out of his players - remember the hope we had when Gregg, Mularkey and Jauron were stepping into the job? What if Chan is just another in that line of guys in over their head?

We would all like to think that we are drafting good players and making good player acquisitions - remember how hopeful we were when we drafted Willis McGahee, John McCargo, James Hardy, Aaron Maybin and brought in Langston Walker and Dockery and T.O.? What happens if this year's class resembles any of the past 10 classes? What happens if the veteran talent we bring in doesn't pan out?

We have a ton of holes to fill, but I think 3-5 years is a reasonable timeframe IF we get on the right track, and when that happens is anyone's guess. Frankly, I am stunned at how many people are convinced that we are finally moving in the right direction with Buddy and Chan even though they haven't shown anything yet.....

We all would like to think that Chan is going to be a great coach who will get the most out of his players - remember the hope we had when Gregg, Mularkey and Jauron were stepping into the job? What if Chan is just another in that line of guys in over their head?

We would all like to think that we are drafting good players and making good player acquisitions - remember how hopeful we were when we drafted Willis McGahee, John McCargo, James Hardy, Aaron Maybin and brought in Langston Walker and Dockery and T.O.? What happens if this year's class resembles any of the past 10 classes? What happens if the veteran talent we bring in doesn't pan out?

We have a ton of holes to fill, but I think 3-5 years is a reasonable time-frame IF we get on the right track, and when that happens is anyone's guess. Frankly, I am stunned at how many people are convinced that we are finally moving in the right direction with Buddy and Chan even though they haven't shown anything yet.....

I have to agree with you. As usual, I'm drinking the Kool-Aid about the new head coach but I remember doing the exact same thing for Mularkey and Jauron.

Chan...I don't think that he's worse than Mularkey and he's had some success in the past even but it's not mindblowing.

If Chan and Nix are able to solve the problems of getting the players who have shown flashes of talent (Edwards, Bell, Wood, Byrd) to keep steady production we won't have a god-awful season.

I'm feeling decent about our secondary, considering that we have Byrd and a team which ranked second in passing TD's allowed.

But if your asking for, in one year, to definitively set a quarterback who can consistently make full use of his receivers, get a reliable 2nd receiver across from Evans, resolve the running back situation so we can make full use of the overabundance of talent we have, get the offensive line to not suck AND have the DL & LB corps to adjust to and excel at the 3-4 defense that's probably a bit much.

Yes our secondary put up some excellent stats but you have to keep in mind that most teams came in with run first plan and were pretty much successfull. The secondary is one the teams stengths but part of that success was due to the horible run stopping they also exhibited.

We have a ton of holes to fill, but I think 3-5 years is a reasonable timeframe IF we get on the right track, and when that happens is anyone's guess. Frankly, I am stunned at how many people are convinced that we are finally moving in the right direction with Buddy and Chan even though they haven't shown anything yet.....

In all fairness, besides for Maybe, the last draft with Jauron brought us Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Byrd. If Maybe has a good year this may turn out to be one of our best drafts in years.

I voted 3 to 5 years. I am suprised at some of the other votes. Our front 7 needs work, if we can build a run stuffing defense we would be strong contenders from that point on. The secondary is tight and young, we need some better d lineman. We need some beef in the middle. With our running game we could then control the ball and win ugly. Pick up the right free agent QB in the next 2 years and concentrate on building the O line to bolster our running attack of Jackson and Spiller. 3 or 4 years from now I may be exited about an upcoming season, this year looks hopeless :cry:

In all fairness, besides for Maybe, the last draft with Jauron brought us Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Byrd. If Maybe has a good year this may turn out to be one of our best drafts in years.

Let's wait a few years to pass before we decide it was a good draft. I'd like to be optimistic, but Wood is coming off a terrible injury, Nelson has done very little (although probably not his fault), Byrd had agreat year but can he do it again?.

Remember - Marshawn had a very solid rookie year and here we are a few years later praying someone would part with a 4th round pick for him in a trade.....

I think two years. Next year is a very deep QB class, (that's depending whether we have a starting caliber QB on the roster as of right now, and we'll find that out in a couple months). Add a LT, maybe another WR, (again, unless we have that number two guy already). Is it impossible for them to go 8-8, 9-7 this year? No, but for that to happen there has to be a couple surprises on the roster.

I think two years. Next year is a very deep QB class, (that's depending whether we have a starting caliber QB on the roster as of right now, and we'll find that out in a couple months). Add a LT, maybe another WR, (again, unless we have that number two guy already). Is it impossible for them to go 8-8, 9-7 this year? No, but for that to happen there has to be a couple surprises on the roster.

Bingo!!! Let's hope for the surprises to come early. If not, we can hopefully get a high pick next year (silver lining) and get out of the basement.

What "title" are we talking about?

Superbowl champions?

AFC champions?

AFC East champions?

NYS High School football champions?

If history is an accurate guide, not during Gaileys tenure. He has been a mediocre coach his entire career and I expect the same now. So not within 3-5 years but I cannot comment if it will be within my lifetime or not. To many variables come into play 5+ years from now.

3 if Brohm is the answer or we draft a QB next year. For every year we keep the **** we have at QB and keep failing to address it, then that is another year we keep putting off getting back into contention.

My take as well. QB or not QB? That is the question..

Yes our secondary put up some excellent stats but you have to keep in mind that most teams came in with run first plan and were pretty much successfull. The secondary is one the teams stengths but part of that success was due to the horible run stopping they also exhibited.

Your opinion is a common one here and not to be an a-hole, but it's wrong.

It's a logical assumption that a team which is vulnerable against the run may give up fewer passing yards because teams will exploit the run weakness. And in fact the Bills did give up the 2nd least amount of passing yards last season.

So I understand the basis of your assumption. But an inability to stop the run will also make a defense MORE vulnerable against the pass because they are forced to OVERPLAY the run. Relatively speaking, because they couldn't stop the run, very seldom did the Bills force other teams into obvious passing situations.

Yet the Bills defense was outstanding against the pass in spite of having to overplay the run, AND in spite of a mediocre pass rush.

The Bills ranked:

1st in the NFL by a very wide margin in opponents passer rating (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

2nd in the NFL in interceptions (in spite of the fact that they faced FEWER passes than 19 other teams)

2nd in the NFL in average gain per pass play (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

3rd in the NFL in opponents completion percentage (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

The only other team which approached the Bills in pass defense was Darrelle Revis and the New York Jets who were outstanding against the run and thus were able to force opponents into obvious passing situations. In fact the Jets were the top ranked defense in the NFL last year in yards allowed.

Back to my main point, the Bills were outstanding against the pass and it had little or more likely, nothing to do with their weakness against the run.

3-5, and I am being kind. They need an OTs, a QB, and someone willing to draft them. Besides, they are pretty much void of talent.

Acquiring talent is an issue. And then again keeping talent is another issue. It is like walking up a down escalator when it is moving faster down than you are going up.

The Tennessee Titans have gone through two successful rebuilding processess because of the cap cycle over the past decade. They did it with smart drafting and sound personnel decisions. The Bills just can't seem to get out of the rut they themselves have dug.

I do believe that Nix/Whaley/Gailey are very well aware that they are involved in a multi-year rebuilding process. If done right it can get done in three years plus one or two. If this franchise is not willing to pay market rate for the second contracts of the drafted players it won't ever get done.

We still need a C and LT and RT on the OL. We need a new Qb who if drafted most likely wont be a playoff caliber Qb for 3 years. Our front 7 is still in limbo and not complete.

At the rate Nix/Chan are going it will be another 3-5 minimum.

All of this is assuming they have the right guys for the job, which judging by past experience, they likely dont.

The answer should be: Who the hell knows? If your draft picks work out, you can take a team from 3-13 to the Super Bowl in a couple years. It's all about how well you draft, and it's far too early to tell.

Nix brings a very good eye for talent, and that is giving me some hope for this FO.