Rotoworld feels we made a terrible choice in passing on Clausen twice

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

spiller stats

Over 3500 yds rushing indicates otherwise

I don't see anything prolific in there. He was ranked 25th in yards last year and 46th in ypc.

That's hardly prolific. It's actually less than average for top schools.

Let's give the kid credit for what he does well, which is return kicks. But we already have McKelvin for that and it's not as if our kick returns have sucked over the past few years or anything. McKelvin can't play CB worth a crap so he may as well be a F/T KR.

Spiller's also good catching passes, but as a pure runner, who cares how many yards he had in four years. His ypc got less as he became a Sr. too.

We'll see, but he was not a prolific rusher at Clemson. You won't find many scouts that agree with you on that.

He's actually very good at running the ball. Have you watched a lot of Clemson games or no? Because he's also good at catching and returning kicks doesn't mean he can't run the rock. He can and did very well.

Who cares who's seen Clemson games. You want to try to convince us that you sat around last year watching Clemson games?

It's all on youtube.

Spiller is a kick returning machine. He catches very well out of the backfield. But he's not a great rusher. He had a monster rushing game against GA Tech, but they sucked defensively. He had one or two more good rushing games against more nothing defenses, but after that he didn't really do too much running the ball.

So yeah, if you just log onto youtube and see a "best of" reel, sure, you might get the impression that he was some kind of monster rusher, but look at his game logs, there's nothing impressive there. Who cares what he did against Wake Forest, GA Tech, and FSU, their Ds all sucked. Do you think he'll be facing defenses like that this year?

We'll see, but I'm not expecting much in the rushing dept. And if he can't run the ball, his value is limited as a RB and otherwise. I mean how badly did we really need a KR?

That will always be a two sided argument that could go on forever, since they passed on Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers just to name a few. But so did other teams, that argument can go either way for probably any team in the NFL. Brady wasn't thought of as a franchse QB going into the draft but the other 3 were without a doubt.

You could fill a stadium with the amount of excuses that Trent Edwards gets around here.

I think the main thing is in the whole 9 vs 41 vs not at all debate -- as a coach and gm, any qb taken in the first two rounds you sink or swim with. If you believe in a qb, you take him at 9 even if hes rated lower, if you dont believe hes your franchise, you dont take him at 41 either, even if its value.

A guy like Troupe wont be your own career on the line, a guy like claussen is.... so if you dont want to hitch your wagon to him, you just have to stay away unless he somehow falls to 3 or later (see edwards here, or mccoy in cleveland) and suddenly its not a make or break pick.

I could not disagree with you more. I don't want my organization drafting players based on what is safe and how to save their own tail.

IMO, the draft is all about balancing player value and team needs. Fine if you think Clausen wasn't value at 9 or 41 but not to pick him based on what you said is not acceptable to me.

claussen is a chump, pro ready? that means hes as good as hes gonna get.....

fitz has a noodle arm? trent is injury prone yes, but fitz has a noodle arm? brohms a bust in his third year?

bad qb situation? new england has a bad qb situation if tbuncheon gets hurt. big problem.

Awesome avatar and love the name for tommy fag

You'd have taken Flacco in 2008? You mean you heard of him before he was drafted? Surprising. The Bills wouldn't have, since they still thought Edwards had a future at that time.

BTW, Flacco was 15th in yards and TD passes. I don't know what you consider "above average," but I agree he's "above Boller and Smith."

Hmmm. Let's try again.

I would take an above average QB (via the draft, trade, whatever) over a great NT simply because the direct impact on team performance between the 2 positions is orders of magnitude apart. I can't restate it any simpler than this.

Hmmm. Let's try again.

I would take an above average QB (via the draft, trade, whatever) over a great NT simply because the direct impact on team performance between the 2 positions is orders of magnitude apart. I can't restate it any simpler than this.

Mr Weo, I will take the above average QB as well. Where is he?

Hmmm. Let's try again.

Mr Weo, I will take the above average QB as well. Where is he?

Bingo. It's not like anyone has any real success identifying them in the draft. And Clausen has yet to prove he can even play in the NFL.

Bingo. It's not like anyone has any real success identifying them in the draft. And Clausen has yet to prove he can even play in the NFL.

Here we go again. You are right that Clausen hasn't proven that he can or can't play in the league. There is a good reason for that. He hasn't played yet. The same logic applys to all rookies. :w00t:

QUOTE (billsfreak @ Jul 22 2010, 01:55 PM)

That will always be a two sided argument that could go on forever, since they passed on Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers just to name a few. But so did other teams, that argument can go either way for probably any team in the NFL. Brady wasn't thought of as a franchse QB going into the draft but the other 3 were without a doubt.

You could fill a stadium with the amount of excuses that Trent Edwards gets around here.

What does that post have to do with Trent Edwards? Wow?

Oh, that's right, you Suckhole journalist... you know it all...

... Brohm a draft bust... I mean, come on dude... a young kid who had NO chance of playing in G.B., placed on the P.S. and thought highly enough of another team in the league to be grabbed. AND he's still just a baby.

Here's some DRAFT BUSTs:

Ryan 'Sweet' Leaf

Tim Couch

J-Marcus Russel

Joe-E Harrington

Brohm may not amount to Sh*t, but he is not yet a bust.

Sometimes free speech, as does religious freedom, goes too far. Do want a terrorist haven mosque built across the street from your home? Get yourself involved in America folks. ... or there will be no more opportunities for amateur whack jobs to write articles such as Roto Rootor World to beg for replies of mastery (such as this). No, you'll smell like rancid sheep meat and have a pubic beard and dress in a sheet... and treat your woman worse than you already do. Then you'll take one for the team.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.

That's really the bottom line here, IMO. If you don't think a guy is better than what you already have, you don't waste a 2nd round pick on him. That's particularly true when the guys you already have are relatively young.

If the Bills FO didn't think Clausen was any better than the current QB crop, why in the world would they draft him? I admit I was shocked, and initially a bit dissappointed when they passed on Clausen in the 2nd round. But I soon realized it would be moronic for them to pick a QB they weren't sold on, particularly in the 2nd round.

If they'd said or indicated they didn't like him, I would have minded this all much less. They haven't. The only thing they did that indicated they didn't like him is not drafting him, and again, there are so many factors complicating those decisions, you can't legitimately read not drafting a guy as not liking him.

What they did say is that they thought the three on the team would be fine, and that they deserved a chance. I couldn't disagree more.

Is there a point you're making here besides the obvious one that the draft is a crap shoot and teams choose who they choose for various reasons based on their best judgment (which may be wrong) of the abilities of the players available and what best suits their needs?

You think they should have picked Clausen instead of Troup (and maybe Spiller?). And if Clausen turns out to be a franchise QB four years from now while none of the current Bills's QBs do, and whatever hypothetical QB the Bills draft next year also doesn't, then the Bills would have turned out to have made a mistake.

Well, duh. What a waste of pixels.

So you agree I'm right. Great. See you on the boards.

I think you prove how opinions die hard. You convince yourself that Clausen was so good, and when reality shows he's not even going to make an NFL roster you still cling to the ideas that he's something special. What is the difference between you and the people making draft decisions for the Bills pre-Nix?

PTR

And what will be the difference between you and those same pre-Nix Bills brain trust folks if Clausen becomes a franchise QB?

You're saying "when" it happens? No way you can know that. You're the one losing perspective.

You could fill a bus with all the so-called franchise QB's the Bills didn't draft. Cutler, Quinn, Leinert, Clausen.....

PTR

Yup, not to mention Flacco, Kolb, Brees ...

Hard to hold Brady, Romo or Warner against them, but strictly speaking, them too.

Yyyyyyeah. So we shouldn't draft any QBs? No rookie in the history of the league that I know of - wait, wait, Jim Thorpe maybe, but he's the only one I can think of - has proven he can play in the NFL before the draft or before the first training camp or before the first game of his rookie season.

But Clausen isn't just a rookie. He's a "franchise QB!!!" And KD, he's not losing to some veteran. He's losing out to two other rookies including one who was UDFA! Clausen is getting beat by a rookie UDFA and you still think we missed out on him???

PTR

If Clausen is still the third stringer going into next season, it will be a major signal that he's not likely to make it. But even if I loved Clausen, if I were a coach, THIS YEAR I would be very likely to put him third if I had a decent second-year man. Rookie QBs make huge mistakes.

If I expected my team to suck, I'd give Clausen as much time as I could. But the Jags think they have a playoff shot this year. Third-stringer is where you would expect Clausen to be, even if you and the team loved him, particularly so early in the season.