Madden '11 - Sort of talked about before, but still stinks to see

If im wrong someone correct me but i remember last year that the bills had the second best pass defense in the league and in madden 11 they say that the bills have the sixth best pass defense. It does not make any sense. these ratings for teams are so bull ****.

If im wrong someone correct me but i remember last year that the bills had the second best pass defense in the league and in madden 11 they say that the bills have the sixth best pass defense. It does not make any sense. these ratings for teams are so bull ****.

You're right. The ratings are BS. Pure and simple BS. They are biased ratings affected by what the people in charge at EA think of each team. In fact the head honchos prolly ask the programmers to make the ratings as best they can. My brother used to work on Madden at EA and he told me stories. So I don't hold much stock in their ratings at all. It's been a while since he worked there so perhaps they revamped their rating system. But I still doubt it's an exact science. It's prolly based on bias and stats from the previous season that weren't properly taken into account. It's surprising how easy it was to adjust madden stats back in the day. It might still be.

You're right. The ratings are BS. Pure and simple BS. They are biased ratings affected by what the people in charge at EA think of each team. In fact the head honchos prolly ask the programmers to make the ratings as best they can. My brother used to work on Madden at EA and he told me stories. So I don't hold much stock in their ratings at all. It's been a while since he worked there so perhaps they revamped their rating system. But I still doubt it's an exact science. It's prolly based on bias and stats from the previous season that weren't properly taken into account. It's surprising how easy it was to adjust madden stats back in the day. It might still be.

All that may be true...but if you peruse most of the preseason NFL publications, very few think the Bills secondary is all that special. I was reading one of them, earlier today, that ranked the Bills secondary as the 21st best in the league, and did not rank a single member of the Bills secondary amongst the top 32 db's in the NFL. I am not saying I agree with this, but, I think most Bills fans are ignoring the obvious, on this issue: the Bills were second, statistically, against the pass in 2009, but dead last in the NFL against the run...or something very close to that. That can't be ignored. Most are viewing Jairus Byrds incredible 2009 campaign as a bit of a fluke...

I actually happen to think the rating system used in Madden are far more realistic now, than they were years ago.

As for those wondering how the Raiders can be ranked 4 points higher than the Bills, in Madden 2011... the Raiders are much closer to being a playoff contender at the end of 2009 than the Bills were. The win-loss records may not be much different, but the Raiders are building a very good defense, and are only a competent QB away, from having a pretty decent, competitive, offensive squad. If Al Davis can keep his paws of things long enough, Tom Cable may turn this team around. I would not be surprised at all, to see them a legit threat to win the AFC West in 2010.

All that may be true...but if you peruse most of the preseason NFL publications, very few think the Bills secondary is all that special. I was reading one of them, earlier today, that ranked the Bills secondary as the 21st best in the league, and did not rank a single member of the Bills secondary amongst the top 32 db's in the NFL. I am not saying I agree with this, but, I think most Bills fans are ignoring the obvious, on this issue: the Bills were second, statistically, against the pass in 2009, but dead last in the NFL against the run...or something very close to that. That can't be ignored. Most are viewing Jairus Byrds incredible 2009 campaign as a bit of a fluke...

I actually happen to think the rating system used in Madden are far more realistic now, than they were years ago.

As for those wondering how the Raiders can be ranked 4 points higher than the Bills, in Madden 2011... the Raiders are much closer to being a playoff contender at the end of 2009 than the Bills were. The win-loss records may not be much different, but the Raiders are building a very good defense, and are only a competent QB away, from having a pretty decent, competitive, offensive squad. If Al Davis can keep his paws of things long enough, Tom Cable may turn this team around. I would not be surprised at all, to see them a legit threat to win the AFC West in 2010.

I agree with you except for the Raiders. Speaking with Raiders insiders, they are a disaster and fully admit it. They are way further away from the playoffs than Buffalo.

It's surprising how easy it was to adjust madden stats back in the day. It might still be.

one thing that the bills have going for them - which is fairly accurate - is the amount of potential (UPSIDE!) for many of their young players.

by playing well with those players, their ratings will increase. the thing that sucks is that when you play online, the ratings are static, unless you are playing in franchise mode. you have to wait for EA to adjust the ratings, which they do periodically throughout the season, but those adjustments are based on reality. which is why the final ratings last year had fitz higher than trent, and f jax higher than lynch, etc.

and bufftex, you're right, the ratings are more accurate, especially in the sense there are far fewer players that are practically unstoppable.

oh man i can't wait - 3 more weeks!!!!!

one thing that the bills have going for them - which is fairly accurate - is the amount of potential (UPSIDE!) for many of their young players.

by playing well with those players, their ratings will increase. the thing that sucks is that when you play online, the ratings are static, unless you are playing in franchise mode. you have to wait for EA to adjust the ratings, which they do periodically throughout the season, but those adjustments are based on reality. which is why the final ratings last year had fitz higher than trent, and f jax higher than lynch, etc.

and bufftex, you're right, the ratings are more accurate, especially in the sense there are far fewer players that are practically unstoppable.

oh man i can't wait - 3 more weeks!!!!!

Back in the old days, I could beat anyone, anywhere, using the Bills...it got kind of boring. I got to the point, when playing in franchise mode, where I would take the lowest rated team on the game, cut all of its' "elite" players, just to make the game more of a challenge. I had a lot more time to play back then...now, when I do have time to play, I find it much harder to win. No bread and butter plays, if your O-line is supposed to be poor at run blocking, you can bet, you will have a hard time running. The player speeds are much more realistic. EA sports does an amazing job with this game...

I remember last year when the bills pass defense pretty much shut drew brees down almost the whole game. It was not until the fourth quarter when probably the defense was tired and new that there was no way they could win started giving up passing yards. Also remember remember 2-17 by Derek anderson in the browns game. There were something special last year even though the run defense was horrible. I gues were going to have to the madden season update so we can play with our bills or we can just do a fanatsy draft.

Please don't shoot me about this, but last year our DBs were ranked second and picked off a number of passes, but:

1. Couldn't we have been ranked #2 partially due to how bad we were against the run;

2. Honest question - how good were we really as far as coverage with our DBs;

3. Finally, it could just be that the individual statistics for our starters just doesn't add up in Madden.

Man-o-man is it tough being a fan of this game and of the Bills...Years spent waiting for them to be mediocre. The only glory years were Madden 05/ ESPN NFL 2k5 - you may not have liked the REAL team, but in the game you had rated players like Bledsoe, Moulds, Price, Henry, Willis M., Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Fletcher, from a gaming standpoint they were loaded.

Wait. The Rams are listed at 32 but it also lists their change as +1. How is that possible?

Nevermind. Still, there's no way the Raiders under Tom Cable are better than the Bills under Chan Gailey.

As bad as the Bills are, I refuse to believe they are worse than the Raiders and Chiefs. The Raiders are truly incompetent.

Who knows, Al Davis has a tendency to screw things up, but if he leaves Cable alone, and lets people in the organization who are more in touch with the game, right now, he may have stumbled into something good. I am not saying they are a great team, but they have improved a lot, under Cable, as unlikeable as he appears to be. Davis was the only reason J Russell was holding on to a roster spot this past season. The fact that they let him go, to me, signals that Davis may finally be listening to other people. Their defense is getting stronger...don't sleep on them...and, I am in no way a Raiders fan.

The sooner you idiots realize the bills are terrible and will probably have the worst record in the afc this year the sooner you'll be able to get on with your lives.

We know Joe - but we enjoy being idiots...just like you California dudes enjoy surfing. We know they'll tank again, but please...let us hope. There's nothing else to do here in the northeast. We don't want lives...all we want is for Norwoods kick to be 6 feet to the left, & we're not gonna rest 'til it happens!