frugality tips

Pete

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to buy something like an iPhone, Playstation, TV, home theater, or other shiny new toy, wait at least a week. Then do comparison shopping. After you find a price you like, remind yourself that you have survived this long without that new shiny thing and decide if you really do want it after all

I do this one very well, and it drives my wife crazy. I'll debate it for 1-6 months before pulling the trigger, always keeping an eye on prices and such. Sometimes I pull the trigger, sometimes I don't - but she hates the constant debate.

In her world, money is unlimited, so if you want something, just buy it. :thumbsup: (ok, she's not quite that bad - and is MUCH better than some women I know, including most of my coworkers' wives. :wallbash: ).

1.buy a well built ,quality car that you're happy to drive. maintain it faithfully and drive it until the repairs cost more than its worth (and drop the collision insurance at an appropriate time).2. ask your doctor for generics if at all possible.

1. Don't worry about chasing fashion trends. It's a very expensive game that really gets you nothing in return.

2. Pack your lunch.

3. Order pitchers in bars and bottles in restaurants.

4. Clean your own car, shovel your own driveway, and cut your own grass.

If you plan on buying a car in the next few years, open an account (or use an existing account) and start paying yourself $300-$500 a month. When you're ready to buy the car, you have a nice sized down payment (if not payed in full) and will avoid paying other people to use their money

If you plan on buying a car in the next few years, open an account (or use an existing account) and start paying yourself $300-$500 a month. When you're ready to buy the car, you have a nice sized down payment (if not payed in full) and will avoid paying other people to use their money

I've done this for years - buy used (but in good condition) and as a result I have not made a car payment to a bank in many years.

1. Don't worry about chasing fashion trends. It's a very expensive game that really gets you nothing in return.

This is great advice. True fashion is (virtually) timeless, especially for men. Button-down shirts and khaki or denim pants that fit well and are made well will both look good for a long time and last a long time. Also, if that suit hanging up in your closet is too big in the stomach after you've lost weight, go get it tailored, don't waste money on a brand-new suit. That suit, after properly taken in, will look great.

2. Pack your lunch.

I second this :thumbsup: I watch my co-workers blow an hour or two's wages on eating out at lunch every day :wallbash:

pregame at home before heading out. Cancel your gym membership and work out at home. Bike to work. Cook at home. Use, reinvent or freeze leftovers. Bring a thermos of coffee with you instead of paying $2-5 at DD or Starbucks. Ebay.

I second this :thumbsup: I watch my co-workers blow an hour or two's wages on eating out at lunch every day :wallbash:

I go back and forth on this one. I eat out several times a week, but a lot of that is to get out of the office and relax with coworkers. If I brought my lunch, I end up eating at my desk and working the entire time. I'm already putting in 10 hours a day, don't need to add to it.

Plus it's fun to hang out with your coworkers - it builds the team up. I suppose if you have a lunchroom area where people eat, you can get the same effect, but I've never seen that in any IT shop I've worked.

I know I could save money by not eating out as much, but I'm not willing to lose the break/social aspect of it.

To do a synthetic oil change for my wife's car was $72 at the local place. I can do it myself for $25 plus my own time. I can go on a rant about the cost difference that places charge for a conventional oil vs. synthetic oil change, but that's for another thread.

Do the simple car maintenance stuff yourself. Hell, my neighbor has an impact wrench. I have the air compressor. I rotate tires too. The cost to me is time, but the savings over the lifetime of the car can go as high as $1000+.

72 bucks? Yikes! How do you get it down to 25... You don't see syn really go below 6 bucks a qt... x5-6... Then the filter.

True you can stretch it further. Castrol Syntec Edge claims it can go 15k which I only will stretch to about 6-7.

Geez... My local mechanic does it for around $40.

Of course he also installs wind shield wipers for me for free if I provide them... And has replaced a headlight for free too, if I provide the bulb. So I always go to him.

That is what I am saying... I can get a full syn for about 50 bucks... I do it myself for about 45 because I go with a nicer K&N filter. A dino oil change wil run about 25 bucks at the oil change place... Anyway... Most place you buy your tires at will rotate for free the life of the tire.

My time is worth a hell of a lot more than that.

BTW I save money by making my own clothes.

After you know what you're doing, you can change out your oil in about 15 minutes. It's not THAT time consuming or even messy. A small jug of simple orange will last a year and is also great for cleaning up your hands after using the lawn mower or especially small 2 cycle engines like leaf blowers and weed wackers.

72 bucks? Yikes! How do you get it down to 25... You don't see syn really go below 6 bucks a qt... x5-6... Then the filter.

True you can stretch it further. Castrol Syntec Edge claims it can go 15k which I only will stretch to about 6-7.

The $72 was at an overpriced place that I stopped by in a pinch. As for the $25, I should have typed $35. You can get the big 5qt jug of mobil1 at wal mart for $23.99 and a filter for $10.