Trent Edwards the next Bills Starter?

mmm hmm. Well, those scouting reports and $1.00 will get you a cuppa joe at Mickey D's, no tip.

First of all, lets let Chan decide who the starter will be after pre season is over. That's what he was brought in to do and he needs the chance to do it. Second of all, if it IS Brohm, lets see how he does in game time situations, with bodies akimbo and some serious crap hitting the fan. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but there is a lot more at stake here than a cannon arm and headiness. There is improvisation, especially if the OL doesn't hold up and receivers aren't getting open. There is the ability to throw the ball away rather than take sack after sack after sack and lose huge chunks of yards, as just about every QB since Flutie has failed to do.

I have no problem with any of the 3 supposed starters, as long as Chan has made the best decision from what he has seen and who he thinks gives the team the best chance to win over the course of the season.

obviously, all this chatter on a MB means zero

My response was to the comment about making sure he has a brain attached to that arm or whatever, which, according to what I've found, he does, also, the misconception of a "cannon arm" that brohm does not have, he has a strong arm, a live arm, NOT A CANNON IN THE MOLD OF JEFF GEORGE, KYLE BOLLER, OR ELWAY FOR EXAMPLE.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win, so in Trents case that about evens out based on JP injuries and his. With that:

I am a statistician and I am calling shenanigans on that- you don't get a win in football. Sorry, but this isn't baseball. I do think trent will start and play as well as possible behind the worst OL in history

I am a statistician and I am calling shenanigans on that- you don't get a win in football. Sorry, but this isn't baseball. I do think trent will start and play as well as possible behind the worst OL in history

If you don't get the win or a win in football.

How do you explain QB comparsions that the team is 4-1 with Whoever and 5-6 with the next guy? Guess what I am asking is it just dump luck that everytime a expert says a QB's win/lose it's the same total as his GS?

If you don't get the win or a win in football.

How do you explain QB comparsions that the team is 4-1 with Whoever and 5-6 with the next guy? Guess what I am asking is it just dump luck that everytime a expert says a QB's win/lose it's the same total as his GS?

The QB just doesn't have the same impact that a pitcher does- the other team has to get hits, sacrifices, etc....directly against the pitcher. There are so many more variables in football.

And by the way, people wrongly said that Flutie just wins- the defense won those games, as long as Mr. Smurf didn't lose them for us!

obviously, all this chatter on a MB means zero

My response was to the comment about making sure he has a brain attached to that arm or whatever, which, according to what I've found, he does, also, the misconception of a "cannon arm" that brohm does not have, he has a strong arm, a live arm, NOT A CANNON IN THE MOLD OF JEFF GEORGE, KYLE BOLLER, OR ELWAY FOR EXAMPLE.

If Chan decides Brohm is the guy, I'll support him. I will also support any of the others as I am a team fan rather than a fan of a particular QB. If Brohm's the guy, I've got him all the way, brains or arm.... or not. I wouldn't mind seeing him win the job, BTW.

If Chan decides Brohm is the guy, I'll support him. I will also support any of the others as I am a team fan rather than a fan of a particular QB. If Brohm's the guy, I've got him all the way, brains or arm.... or not. I wouldn't mind seeing him win the job, BTW.

I agree Doc. I'll support either qb Chan picks. I have the belief that Chan can couch up either player. Deep down though I've wanted Trent to succeed but imo he doesn't have the brass balls needed. Brohm might have the balls but who knows if he has enough talent to succeed. Only time will tell. But I think Chan will make the most of what he has.

Guest dog14787
Again, a good QB makes everyone around him look good. Its a 2 way street. You listed all of those players around him as bad, but what makes you think that Trent has anymore talent than those around him. So Trent is somehow better than all the players around him? Based on what exactly?

I hear that allot, a good QB makes everyone around him good, but that doesn't always go for the O-line. Big Ben doesn't make the Steelers O-line look better or Aaron Rodgers doesn't make the Packers O-line look better,(not in my opinion anyway) the two QB's make plays , sure, but the O-lines still look like crap, the QB's get sacked allot and eventually can/will get seriously injured.

Rodgers and Big Ben are also an exception to the rule, 90% of the QB's in this league need good protection or they will not perform well.

yup, same here, i just dont think trent has it, so I'm pullin for Brohm.

You're implying Evans has no talent? I hope not, because while *maybe* you can say that about every other WR on the roster, Evans could start for pretty much any other team in the NFL.

Agreed. I believe you missed the rhetorical point of my statement, but rather than delve on that, I will simply say that he would be the #2 or #3 receiver on most if not all other NFL teams. And umm our other receivers would probably be returning kicks and playing on the scout team. When I say we have no talent at WR, I am speaking comparatively to other NFL teams, especially any team capable of winning half its games.

Again, a good QB makes everyone around him look good. Its a 2 way street. You listed all of those players around him as bad, but what makes you think that Trent has anymore talent than those around him. So Trent is somehow better than all the players around him? Based on what exactly?

I'm not really sure where you got that from - I believe the only reference I made to Trent's skill level was to say he isn't necessarily a good QB. And while I agree that a good QB makes other players look better, that has absolutely no bearing at all on the fact that Lee Evans cannot run effective routes, does not have enough size to be a threat over the middle, and can be completely taken out of the game by any single DB who plays a soft coverage against him. Look the guy would be an adequate #2 on a team with a good QB and #1 WR, and a great #3 receiver on pretty much any team, but if he is your #1 wide receiver on a team with major QB issues and serious doubts about the state of the O-line, you are in really deep ****.

I'm not really sure where you got that from - I believe the only reference I made to Trent's skill level was to say he isn't necessarily a good QB. And while I agree that a good QB makes other players look better, that has absolutely no bearing at all on the fact that Lee Evans cannot run effective routes, does not have enough size to be a threat over the middle, and can be completely taken out of the game by any single DB who plays a soft coverage against him. Look the guy would be an adequate #2 on a team with a good QB and #1 WR, and a great #3 receiver on pretty much any team, but if he is your #1 wide receiver on a team with major QB issues and serious doubts about the state of the O-line, you are in really deep ****.

I can respect your view. I misunderstood your point on Trent etc. Lee Evans I think is a good receiver and can be a number one, we just have not had a QB to get the ball to him, IMO. I think the size thing is overrated,(see Steve Smith, Deshean Jackson etc)....

My point is, a QB like Payton Manning made Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon look good last year, not exactly household names.

People say that Trent needs to be surrounded by good players to succeed. To me that is not the mark of a good QB. A good QB succeeds or at least shows flashes with what he has around him. These days the roster turnover with free agency etc, does not allow the perfect surroundings, so a QB has to make due with what he has unfortunately.

I hear that allot, a good QB makes everyone around him good, but that doesn't always go for the O-line. Big Ben doesn't make the Steelers O-line look better or Aaron Rodgers doesn't make the Packers O-line look better,(not in my opinion anyway) the two QB's make plays , sure, but the O-lines still look like crap, the QB's get sacked allot and eventually can/will get seriously injured.

Rodgers and Big Ben are also an exception to the rule, 90% of the QB's in this league need good protection or they will not perform well.

I respectfully have to counter your point and say this is why Big Ben and Rodgers are considered good NFL QBs and Trent is not. You have to make due with what you have.

Tom Bradys O-line was built with late round picks. He made them all look better.

The QB just doesn't have the same impact that a pitcher does- the other team has to get hits, sacrifices, etc....directly against the pitcher. There are so many more variables in football.

And by the way, people wrongly said that Flutie just wins- the defense won those games, as long as Mr. Smurf didn't lose them for us!

QBs win championships these days.

So do I, but there hasn't ever been a quarterback that has won by himself without a good team around him. Not Marino, Elway, Unitas, Montana, Kelly-none have ever won by himself. You have a better chance to win with an average QB on a good team than a good QB on an average or worse team.

You need both. Who is the last average QB to win a Superbowl?

Guest dog14787
Agreed. I believe you missed the rhetorical point of my statement, but rather than delve on that, I will simply say that he would be the #2 or #3 receiver on most if not all other NFL teams. And umm our other receivers would probably be returning kicks and playing on the scout team. When I say we have no talent at WR, I am speaking comparatively to other NFL teams, especially any team capable of winning half its games.

I tend to agree, especially after watching TO come into town and out play Evans on one of TO's worse seasons of his career.

Thurman Thomas has even voiced his concerns/observations, this Bills football team needs more talent. We may like allot of our high motor, good character players, but when compared to other successful teams/players from a talent perspective, our Buffalo Bills lack talent.

Yea...."aweful" isn't a word. And believe me, there is no QB in the NFL that would have succeeded on any team Trent has been the starting QB for. The problem has been an utter lack of talent. No talent on the line, no talent at WR. Now I know you will say "Oh but he has Lee Evans." Please refer to my above comment about no talent at WR.

I'm not saying Trent is a good QB. I'm simply saying we certainly have not seen him play to full potential, and also that Joe Montana would look pretty terrible surrounded by this Bills team. And don't expect it to be pretty this year. It's always the darkest right before the sun rises, and this season should prove that out.

I believe Chan Gailey can and will do a good job, and that our draft was solid and I do like their apparent philosophy. But it looks pretty hopeless for the Bills this year and probably next year as well. After that - who knows. Will we fans allow Chan time to get his system fully implemented? Probably not. So really while I think Chan was a good hire, it will probably lead to rebuilding for 2-3 years while being mired in mediocrity if not down right horrible football, fans growing impatient because the system isn't working, Chan being fired, and the process starting all over again as we attempt to switch back to a base 4-3 defense (should be about fully phased back in by then). Oh yea - and then Ralph Wilson dies and the Bills become the Los Angeles Terminators. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the state of the franchise. :rolleyes:

Go back to S. Georgia and use your crying towel there. Don't bother us here with it....please!! :rolleyes:

I hope Trent does win the starting job

but then again I also hope ether Fitz or Brian win the job too.... heck I don't even care if the rookie wins the job, just as long as somebody WINS it.

My point is .... I hope anybody WINS the job and seperates themself from the rest, rather than OBD deciding the starter by a flip of the coin because they all suck equally.

in light of full disclosure, I am a Trent fan .... but I won't have trouble rooting for whichever QB wins the job, nor do I wish failure for any of them to allow Trent to win.

You need both. Who is the last average QB to win a Superbowl?

Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson are the first ones that spring to mind.........funny, two of those guys beat us in the superbowl

Based on these facts I think Trent will start and play well:

In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win, so in Trents case that about evens out based on JP injuries and his. With that:

Trent's win vs loses are

5-4 in 2007

7-7 in 2008

2-5 in 2009

14-16 career win/lose.

Now in those starts he has a career 61.3 completion %.

Now flip a coin on the following games that the defense and special teams help lose:

2007 Cleveland

2008 Cleveland

2009 Cleveland and Monday night meltdown NE.

I kept the Dallas meltdown a lose, because he threw 3 int's.

With these four games he is 18-13 career win/lose and he plays more games.

Also with a weak OL you have to Checkdown in this league. Even with playoff teams OL's Rodgers and Ben got put on thier back 87 times and 143 times respectively over the same three years and Fitz was sacked 59 times over the last two years (he has no 2007 stat's) against Trent's career sacks of just 58.

Now add Chan's coaching and I think he does well.

I know stats are for losers, but is he really a loser or was he in a "No Win" situation and produce well for 3 year guy?

:rolleyes:

DUDE! What kind of new math is that? You say "In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win,". The rather obvious obverse to that coin is that if you start and lose you get the LOSS. BUT you go on to try to explain away some of his loses to artificially create some meaningless supposedly winning record? Are you kidding? Stats when used irresponsibly are for losers and you are proving that. You give stats guys like me a bad name when you pull this crap leading people to say stats don't matter. THIS IS WHY SOME PEOPLE DON'T THINK STATS MATTER.

Trent is a proven loser and TEAMS get wins and losses!!!! As usual as fans we end up debating the wrong issue. I could care less if we won 10 games AS A TEAM with Trent. The point is we could win even more with a real QB, with a real arm and real balls!!!!

Yea...."aweful" isn't a word. And believe me, there is no QB in the NFL that would have succeeded on any team Trent has been the starting QB for. The problem has been an utter lack of talent. No talent on the line, no talent at WR. Now I know you will say "Oh but he has Lee Evans." Please refer to my above comment about no talent at WR.

I'm not saying Trent is a good QB. I'm simply saying we certainly have not seen him play to full potential, and also that Joe Montana would look pretty terrible surrounded by this Bills team. And don't expect it to be pretty this year. It's always the darkest right before the sun rises, and this season should prove that out.

I believe Chan Gailey can and will do a good job, and that our draft was solid and I do like their apparent philosophy. But it looks pretty hopeless for the Bills this year and probably next year as well. After that - who knows. Will we fans allow Chan time to get his system fully implemented? Probably not. So really while I think Chan was a good hire, it will probably lead to rebuilding for 2-3 years while being mired in mediocrity if not down right horrible football, fans growing impatient because the system isn't working, Chan being fired, and the process starting all over again as we attempt to switch back to a base 4-3 defense (should be about fully phased back in by then). Oh yea - and then Ralph Wilson dies and the Bills become the Los Angeles Terminators. Pretty much sums up how I feel about the state of the franchise. :rolleyes:

your obviously without mental talent to insult evans, a great receiver who has had no qb talent to help show brain deads like you how good he really is, um do you watch football or get drunk by the second quarter in a bar everytime and blame everyone else but the problem?

mommy its the o-line, its the receivers, its only my 3rd year... jesus when do u blame the actual guy whos job it is to throw the damn ball? i hope for a day when all morons grow up and realize when they fd up and backed a loser.

ya but you left out t owens and the fact that trent sucked with both ummm why???

mommy its the o-line, its the receivers, its only my 3rd year... jesus when do u blame the actual guy whos job it is to throw the damn ball? i hope for a day when all morons grow up and realize when they fd up and backed a loser.

Dude, you should be a lawyer, really. It isn't time to look at the QB yet. Edwards may or may not be a good QB, personally, I don't care. We have wasted countless draft picks chasing something that we can't have with our current team. Build up a team, then you can win with an average QB, which I think we have three of, or win big with a great QB.

We currently are unproven at every position, because we constantly reach at every position.

We should have put up with Collins or Bledsoe and built a viable team. Instead, we have been chasing our tail for a decade, while everyone else kicks it.

I'm not sure what games you were watching but I didn't see any demonstrated, much less heavily demonstrated, ability to pull the team together or encourage a calm demeanor in 2007 2008. If you take lifeless lack lust performance for calm demeanor I'll agree with that performance. Perhaps in comparison to JP Trent looked calm but he was actually less effective so I will give you that on a technicality.

I'm not actually defending Trent but Rodger and Rothlisberger are rare exceptions who have succeeded with terrible lines. That being said Trent should have EASILY been able to show that he had something to give us "hope for the future". He displayed absolutely nothing to give me any hope for our future with him at the helm.

Two seasons ago, I watched the game at Fedex Field. We were down and Edwards did not panic. He calmly drove down the field, even making a clutch throws under pressure to Evans and Reed. That drive was very Brady'sque.

Similarly, two years ago I saw him in Denver, calmly scoring the winning TD. 2008 had other moments like the game against CHargers, or against Jacksonville. Edwards showed a lot of composure during that period. Even last year in the season opener, against all the odds he moved the ball, including the sound drives to put the team up by 13 points only to have the horrible defense give up play after play.

One other thing going against Edwards compared to Ben and Aaorn is that they actually had a stable coaching staff that believed in them. Once Turk was fired, the Bills had no trust in him.

I tend to agree, especially after watching TO come into town and out play Evans on one of TO's worse seasons of his career.

Thurman Thomas has even voiced his concerns/observations, this Bills football team needs more talent. We may like allot of our high motor, good character players, but when compared to other successful teams/players from a talent perspective, our Buffalo Bills lack talent.

by outplay you mean out drop, out misblock, or out not try for off target pass? you cant understand he had the ball thrown his way a good 50% more than evans did? he may have out stated evans in two categories but anyone that actually watches or has some intelligence could see TO was horrible, Evans won games for us w his play.

Dude, you should be a lawyer, really. It isn't time to look at the QB yet. Edwards may or may not be a good QB, personally, I don't care. We have wasted countless draft picks chasing something that we can't have with our current team. Build up a team, then you can win with an average QB, which I think we have three of, or win big with a great QB.

We currently are unproven at every position, because we constantly reach at every position.

We should have put up with Collins or Bledsoe and built a viable team. Instead, we have been chasing our tail for a decade, while everyone else kicks it.

agreed im defending evans here, some people think the best pure talent on the team is the issue because ummm why? he didnt throw and catch his own touchdowns?, but TE does really suck, incredibly.

Guest dog14787
by outplay you mean out drop, out misblock, or out not try for off target pass? you cant understand he had the ball thrown his way a good 50% more than evans did? he may have out stated evans in two categories but anyone that actually watches or has some intelligence could see TO was horrible, Evans won games for us w his play.

With all due respect, a good 50% more then Evans, really, did you just make that up or do you have stats to back it. Even so, (If what you say is true) Lee Evans with T.O. as our #2 still should have had a break out year.

I'm no fan of T.O.'s, but Lee Evans from a production standpoint simply has not produced and these games Lee Evans won, correct me If I'm wrong, but wouldn't T.O. have helped win the same games. ( I'm actually defending T.O., yuck)

Don't you think Evan's should have perhaps benefited more from having someone like T.O. on the football field as his teammate because I can guarantee you defenses were paying special attention to T.O.

With all due respect, a good 50% more then Evans, really, did you just make that up or do you have stats to back it. Even so, (If what you say is true) Lee Evans with T.O. as our #2 still should have had a break out year.

I'm no fan of T.O.'s, but Lee Evans from a production standpoint simply has not produced and these games Lee Evans won, correct me If I'm wrong, but wouldn't T.O. have helped win the same games. ( I'm actually defending T.O., yuck)

Don't you think Evan's should have perhaps benefited more from having some like T.O. on the football field as his teammate because I can guarantee you defenses where paying special attention to T.O.

You need to be careful. DarthIce has just issued a Fatwa against you for your positive comments about Edwards.

I still strongly believe that he is going to be our starting qb this year. The real critical issue for any of the qb candidates is how our OL plays. That is where I have my major doubts.

Guest dog14787
You need to be careful. DarthIce has just issued a Fatwa against you for your positive comments about Edwards.

I still strongly believe that he is going to be our starting qb this year. The real critical issue for any of the qb candidates is how our OL plays. That is where I have my major doubts.

As do I John, but judging by the only real good game plan we had last season which was devised by Turk Shonert for the opening day Pats game, the proper scheming/play calling will go a long way in helping our inexperienced O-line and players like CJ Spiller will also help in my opinion.

Trent can throw a good deep ball. He has to set his feet, but ive never seen a underthrown deep ball unless it was on purpose, like an over the shoulder sideline catch and throw. And he is incredibly accurate within 10 yards. However, the 10-25 yard range he cannot stick it well at all. The best pass he ever threw in that range was to josh reed that got us in field goal range to beat washington his rookie year. But his inability to hit for chunks of yards, 10-25, keeps our offense from gaining chunks of yards. This is why he often checks down

Guest dog14787
Trent can throw a good deep ball. He has to set his feet, but ive never seen a underthrown deep ball unless it was on purpose, like an over the shoulder sideline catch and throw. And he is incredibly accurate within 10 yards. However, the 10-25 yard range he cannot stick it well at all. The best pass he ever threw in that range was to josh reed that got us in field goal range to beat washington his rookie year. But his inability to hit for chunks of yards, 10-25, keeps our offense from gaining chunks of yards. This is why he often checks down

Everything a QB does is based on timing/ accuracy and many variables can have an effect on both.

Poor pass protection and constantly being flushed out of the pocket with rarely enough time for an intermediate or long pass pattern to develop is a prime example.

I hear allot of complaints about TE staring down his receiver, but when your constantly on the move with zero continuity from play to play, it effects both timing and accuracy in my opinion and you have to basically watch your primary target to even have a chance at a successful completion.

Pass protect properly and timing/accuracy will improve with not just Edwards, but Brohm and Fitzpatrick as well.

Everything a QB does is based on timing/ accuracy and many variables can have an effect on both.

Poor pass protection and constantly being flushed out of the pocket with rarely enough time for an intermediate or long pass to develop is a prime example.

I hear allot of complaints about TE staring down his receiver, but when your constantly on the move with zero continuity from play to play, it effects both timing and accuracy in my opinion and you have to basically watch your primary target to even have a chance at a successful completion.

Pass protect properly and timing/accuracy will improve with not just Edwards, but Brohm and Fitzpatrick as well.

It is hard to go through your reads when there's about a 50/50 shot a defender is streaking at you unblocked lowering his shoulder to give you yet another concussion.

Guest dog14787
It is hard to go through your reads when there's about a 50/50 shot a defender is streaking at you unblocked lowering his shoulder to give you yet another concussion.

You hear some of the more football savvy posters on TSW post about a QB's internal clock getting sped up after repeated blindsides which is another example of how a QB's timing/accuracy can be effected.

Checking down prematurely and loss of confidence is a direct result of TE's multiple concussions/inability to trust his current O-line, and how can you even blame him. If you don't have confidence in your protection, you won't have any confidence in your capabilities as a QB, it just goes with the territory.

Proper Coaching/play calling will go a long way in remedying the problem in my opinion.

agreed im defending evans here, some people think the best pure talent on the team is the issue because ummm why? he didnt throw and catch his own touchdowns?, but TE does really suck, incredibly.

My sense is that from what I have seen Edwards is actually a pretty talented NFL QB who like other athletes trying to be the franchise QB with the right scheme, the right training, an adequate supporting cast of fellow athletes and a healthy dose of dumb luck he can do the job.

From what I (and more important the judgment of Bill Walsh whom no sane person can simply dismiss as is reasonable with all our fan opinions) all those who simply declare Edwards sucks can actually fairly easily be ignored. In my view, when he burst onto the NFL Edwards did demonstrate very good accuracy, a quick release, a surprising (to me at least) fleetness afoot that he correctly gave folks hope that he might be what we were looking for in a franchise QB.

HOWEVER,

despite this glowing endorsement of Edwards I think I can confidently agree with you that Edwards is not the answer for the Bills at QB.

I do disagree flat out with the arguments of you and others who claim he simply sucks. I do not think he does and both his record as a Bill and the views of this subjective observer line up with those of ganesh and other longtime Bills observers that Edwards has demonstrated time and again that he can be something special.

Yet, though I feel this way I am pretty convinced the Bills need to look elsewhere to find their starting QB for two reasons:

1. By my objective standards confirmed by my subjective observations Edwards is too injury prone to be given the starter job.

I consider a player deserving of the label of being injury prone if after being given the consistent starter job he loses significant PT 3 times in 2 years of play to injuries to different parts of his body. RJ is the classic example of an injury prone player as he went down multiple times to multiple different injuries which gave Flutie the chance to take his job.

Like it or not with losing PT to a wrist injury as a rookie, losing time again to an undefined injury in pre-season which cost him valuable game practice time in pre-season (but which the braintrust made clear it was not the same wrist) and then losing PT to a concussion, I think it is pretty clear that given a hard hit he is prone to be injured. When one adds to this his college career getting cut short by injuries behind a porous Stanford line it is questionable whether one wants to rely upon him staying healthy.

2. He was handled incredibly poorly by Jauron in terms of training him and part of the task the Bills will confront with him as their starter is the need to rebuild his confidence.

I think he is a good enough player that given that the Bills have at best unproven other options in Fitzy and Brohm simply throwing Edwards under the bus seems foolish. In fact anyone who advocates Edwards be rejected should simply be rejected themselves unless the call comes with a full throated endorsement of either Fitzy or Brohm. Designating one of these two as the new savior is even more foolish than designating Edwards inappropriately as the new wunderkind.

In fact Brohn backer should be quite happy with Edwards as first in the pecking order as one of Brohm's big issues is confidence and actually beating out Edwards would be tangible proof that he has won the job rather than foolishly habving it handed to him we had not done enough on the field to earn the job.

Simply giving the job to Brohm right now would actually miss a great development opportunity for Brohm rooters.

Guest dog14787
My sense is that from what I have seen Edwards is actually a pretty talented NFL QB who like other athletes trying to be the franchise QB with the right scheme, the right training, an adequate supporting cast of fellow athletes and a healthy dose of dumb luck he can do the job.

From what I (and more important the judgment of Bill Walsh whom no sane person can simply dismiss as is reasonable with all our fan opinions) all those who simply declare Edwards sucks can actually fairly easily be ignored. In my view, when he burst onto the NFL Edwards did demonstrate very good accuracy, a quick release, a surprising (to me at least) fleetness afoot that he correctly gave folks hope that he might be what we were looking for in a franchise QB.

HOWEVER,

despite this glowing endorsement of Edwards I think I can confidently agree with you that Edwards is not the answer for the Bills at QB.

I do disagree flat out with the arguments of you and others who claim he simply sucks. I do not think he does and both his record as a Bill and the views of this subjective observer line up with those of ganesh and other longtime Bills observers that Edwards has demonstrated time and again that he can be something special.

Yet, though I feel this way I am pretty convinced the Bills need to look elsewhere to find their starting QB for two reasons:

1. By my objective standards confirmed by my subjective observations Edwards is too injury prone to be given the starter job.

I consider a player deserving of the label of being injury prone if after being given the consistent starter job he loses significant PT 3 times in 2 years of play to injuries to different parts of his body. RJ is the classic example of an injury prone player as he went down multiple times to multiple different injuries which gave Flutie the chance to take his job.

Like it or not with losing PT to a wrist injury as a rookie, losing time again to an undefined injury in pre-season which cost him valuable game practice time in pre-season (but which the braintrust made clear it was not the same wrist) and then losing PT to a concussion, I think it is pretty clear that given a hard hit he is prone to be injured. When one adds to this his college career getting cut short by injuries behind a porous Stanford line it is questionable whether one wants to rely upon him staying healthy.

2. He was handled incredibly poorly by Jauron in terms of training him and part of the task the Bills will confront with him as their starter is the need to rebuild his confidence.

I think he is a good enough player that given that the Bills have at best unproven other options in Fitzy and Brohm simply throwing Edwards under the bus seems foolish. In fact anyone who advocates Edwards be rejected should simply be rejected themselves unless the call comes with a full throated endorsement of either Fitzy or Brohm. Designating one of these two as the new savior is even more foolish than designating Edwards inappropriately as the new wunderkind.

In fact Brohn backer should be quite happy with Edwards as first in the pecking order as one of Brohm's big issues is confidence and actually beating out Edwards would be tangible proof that he has won the job rather than foolishly habving it handed to him we had not done enough on the field to earn the job.

Simply giving the job to Brohm right now would actually miss a great development opportunity for Brohm rooters.

I expect Trent Edwards to thrive under Gailey's coaching/offense, but there's no denying the fact that TE has been injury prone.

Sooner or later Brian Brohm will be called upon and he needs to be ready to show his stuff.

Brian Brohm and the Buffalo Bills, hmmm, has a good ring to it...

I expect Trent Edwards to thrive under Gailey's coaching/offense, but there's no denying the fact that TE has been injury prone.

Sooner or later Brian Brohm will be called upon and he needs to be ready to show his stuff.

Brian Brohm and the Buffalo Bills, hmmm, has a good ring to it...

It sure does...unfortunately, I don't see the Packers making the same mistake twice, and leaving Graham Harrell out there for the Bills to steal off their practice squad...

19 and 0 baby!!! :angry:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :angry:

DUDE! What kind of new math is that? You say "In the Nfl if you start and win you get the win,". The rather obvious obverse to that coin is that if you start and lose you get the LOSS. BUT you go on to try to explain away some of his loses to artificially create some meaningless supposedly winning record? Are you kidding? Stats when used irresponsibly are for losers and you are proving that. You give stats guys like me a bad name when you pull this crap leading people to say stats don't matter. THIS IS WHY SOME PEOPLE DON'T THINK STATS MATTER.

Trent is a proven loser and TEAMS get wins and losses!!!! As usual as fans we end up debating the wrong issue. I could care less if we won 10 games AS A TEAM with Trent. The point is we could win even more with a real QB, with a real arm and real balls!!!!

Wow! Using the word DUDE makes you what 15-16. What I was trying to point out is that Trent played will enough to win those games. IF Elway finishes the DRIVE and then the Kick off team let's them run it back , did Elway not play good enough to win?