Idea for labor dispute

I just read the article on PFT about the talk of agents trying to convince next year's incoming rookies not to attend the combine, pro-days, and the senior bowl. All this to express the discontent at a rookie wage scale.

Add that to the current pro football's athletes and their representatives talking about walking out in December of this year! Can you imagine what a walkout would be like in December - if your team was doing good?

And then the strike next year - if it were to come to that.

I know I'm not alone in feeling that this stuff is ruining the game. How can we spend what we do to go to games, to buy jerseys, other gear, and to spend our time reading and writing about these teams - virtually, all of us, making it possible for these athletes to live like kings - and they're not talking about playing football and working their butt's off to make it to the post-season for their fans, but, rather, they're talking about not being able to support their families on a 3 or 4 million dollar a year contract! And the majority of fans probably live on 50-75 grand a year, if that.

Yet, the owners are making money and refuse to open their books to the public. So, as much as the players attitude frustrate me, it seems like the owners are only just as bad here - that together, both sides are ruining what the fans have established.

Yes - the fans have established this game. We've supported. We support it. Without us, they'd be playing for free or not at all. Without us there would be no billion dollar stadiums - no Jimmy Jones smiles.

So, I propose this: that a third party enter the mix. A third party not covering it's own interests, but whose interest is to make the game fair for both sides. For all sides. Let the objective party come in, look at the books, look at the expenses, all of it, and make it as even as possible.

Why should this not work? And, why aren't the fans demanding this?

What you are talking about is arbitration. Arbitration is a legal means of settling disputes where a 3rd, neutral party (the arbitrator) takes all the facts into consideration and tries to make the best decision possible. The arbitrator's decision is final (unless there is some exotic means to overide). Often in union environments where there is a labor dispute, both sides will agree on using an arbitrator in order to come to some type of resolution.

I'm assuming that the same would apply to the NFL's labor dispute

What you are talking about is arbitration. Arbitration is a legal means of settling disputes where a 3rd, neutral party (the arbitrator) takes all the facts into consideration and tries to make the best decision possible. The arbitrator's decision is final (unless there is some exotic means to overide). Often in union environments where there is a labor dispute, both sides will agree on using an arbitrator in order to come to some type of resolution.

I'm assuming that the same would apply to the NFL's labor dispute

When you're dealing with Billions, fair arbitration is impossible. The owners hired the old NFLPA president for a high paying job after he helped with the last CBA, go figure out who came out better in the end.

I just read the article on PFT about the talk of agents trying to convince next year's incoming rookies not to attend the combine, pro-days, and the senior bowl. All this to express the discontent at a rookie wage scale.

Add that to the current pro football's athletes and their representatives talking about walking out in December of this year! Can you imagine what a walkout would be like in December - if your team was doing good?

I know I'm not alone in feeling that this stuff is ruining the game. How can we spend what we do to go to games, to buy jerseys, other gear, and to spend our time reading and writing about these teams - virtually, all of us, making it possible for these athletes to live like kings - and they're not talking about playing football and working their butt's off to make it to the post-season for their fans, but, rather, they're talking about not being able to support their families on a 3 or 4 million dollar a year contract! And the majority of fans probably live on 50-75 grand a year, if that.

Yet, the owners are making money and refuse to open their books to the public. So, as much as the players attitude frustrate me, it seems like the owners are only just as bad here - that together, both sides are ruining what the fans have established.

Yes - the fans have established this game. We've supported. We support it. Without us, they'd be playing for free or not at all. Without us there would be no billion dollar stadiums - no Jimmy Jones smiles.

So, I propose this: that a third party enter the mix. A third party not covering it's own interests, but whose interest is to make the game fair for both sides. For all sides. Let the objective party come in, look at the books, look at the expenses, all of it, and make it as even as possible.

The idea of a walkout in December is a silly as it sounds. And if your a college player entering the draft, are you going to select an agent that counsels you NOT to allow you to be evaluated by NFL scouts in the way they always do prior to the draft? Why would any agent even be involved in player labor actions?? It will only cost them money.

Privately held companies don't have to "open their books" to employees in this country.

Good football players are one of the few things still made in America. If the Billionaires follow the patterns of the rest of the Billionaires, next years players will be from China, and assembled in Mexico.

Good football players are one of the few things still made in America. If the Billionaires follow the patterns of the rest of the Billionaires, next years players will be from China, and assembled in Mexico.

SO did Buffalo get a head start on this with Wang?

The idea of a walkout in December is a silly as it sounds. And if your a college player entering the draft, are you going to select an agent that counsels you NOT to allow you to be evaluated by NFL scouts in the way they always do prior to the draft? Why would any agent even be involved in player labor actions?? It will only cost them money.

Privately held companies don't have to "open their books" to employees in this country.

This has been brought up because governments (state, local, whoever) subsidize and maintain stadiums. Meanwhile owners take home millions per year. Thats where that idea comes from, and IMO, the state shouldnt give them jack sh*t. The NFL makes BILLIONS. I think they should maintain their own facilities.

being a business owner, I am 100% biased towards siding with the owners. While an employee may make a business better, they do not make the business, and can be easily replaced. employees aren't entitled to anything except their pay

This has been brought up because governments (state, local, whoever) subsidize and maintain stadiums. Meanwhile owners take home millions per year. Thats where that idea comes from, and IMO, the state shouldn't give them jack sh*t. The NFL makes BILLIONS. I think they should maintain their own facilities.

No disagreement on that, but the anger on that issue shouldn't be directed at the owners but at the politicians who willingly hand over those dollars; and maybe at the voters who re-elect those same politicians time and time again.