Anybody familiar with Bermuda?

WotAGuy

This weekend a good friend buried her only child, her 18-year old son, after a very violent and tragic car accident. It just made me want to spend some memorable time with my daughters.

So, I'm thinking of taking a 5-day vacation in Bermuda with my 23-year old daughter (no, there are no photos of her available). She wants to have access to a nice beach, and we want to be close to water activities, like snorkeling, kayaking, and maybe some hiking.

Anybody been there and have suggestions for a place to stay? I'm looking to keep it around $250 a night. Thinking of the second week of September, right after I attend the home opener!

Thanks in advance.

I would stay in the experimental underwater docking station, the sealab, just south of bermuda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEALAB_%28United_States_Navy%29\\

Edit: Depending on how old your daughter is, the sealab may have its charm. Since the air is a special helium mix, your voice sounds like a chipmunks when speaking in the sealab. More seriously, though, I understand there is some theft there to be worried about.

I would stay in the experimental underwater docking station, the sealab, just south of bermuda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEALAB_%28United_States_Navy%29

I can hear my daughter's response now: "What, are you out of your mind??"

My reply: "No, but Hossage is!"

Does look pretty cool though.....maybe I'll ditch her and go alone.....

I haven't been there in about 10 years; used to go there annually for business. I always stayed in the Fairmont Princess because it was right in the "business district" in Hamilton. Nice place, but downtown (Hamilton's a pretty small place, so don't let the expression "downtown" spook you). I heard that the nicer place was the Fairmont Southampton, which was out of town a few miles. THAT was the place at which I'd swore I would stay next time I got back, but unfortunately never made it. Five star for both places. Bear in mind that Hamilton is not cheap. Everything is about 10% higher than NYC, because everything is brought in by ship or plane.

only been once, but I stayed on the research station. Great place though, you will have a great time. I might also suggest renting a scooter instead of a car to save you some cash. The island is not all that big...

only been once, but I stayed on the research station. Great place though, you will have a great time. I might also suggest renting a scooter instead of a car to save you some cash. The island is not all that big...

huh, me too...many many moons ago

There was much drinking and throwing up involved, but I do remember pristine beaches & beautiful coral (still have a scar on my knee to attest to the coral).

Wear a wetsuit with boots/gloves to protect yourselves...and have the time of your life!

There was much drinking and throwing up involved, but I do remember pristine beaches & beautiful coral (still have a scar on my knee to attest to the coral).

Wear a wetsuit with boots/gloves to protect yourselves...and have the time of your life!

Thanks BB - we plan to!

when were you at BBSR and what were you up to? I was there in Summer of 2000, I taught an Aquatic Tox laboratory for graduate students for my professor. Tons of fun, got paid to go to Bermuda...

I haven't been there in about 10 years; used to go there annually for business. I always stayed in the Fairmont Princess because it was right in the "business district" in Hamilton. Nice place, but downtown (Hamilton's a pretty small place, so don't let the expression "downtown" spook you). I heard that the nicer place was the Fairmont Southampton, which was out of town a few miles. THAT was the place at which I'd swore I would stay next time I got back, but unfortunately never made it. Five star for both places. Bear in mind that Hamilton is not cheap. Everything is about 10% higher than NYC, because everything is brought in by ship or plane.

Funny you mention the Fairmont Southampton. I looked up Bermuda after the OP asked about it, and the FS was the only 4-star hotel in a decent price range (you get the 4th night free, apparently, and a 4-night stay actually costs less than $250/night). I don't know anything about it, so I didn't post.

And it looks like JetBlue has some deals going to Bermuda, although I don't know for what dates.

when were you at BBSR and what were you up to? I was there in Summer of 2000, I taught an Aquatic Tox laboratory for graduate students for my professor. Tons of fun, got paid to go to Bermuda...

I was there in 1980 I think as part of a geology class. What better way to see the effects of wind/waves than to take a trip to Bermuda?

Funny you mention the Fairmont Southampton. I looked up Bermuda after the OP asked about it, and the FS was the only 4-star hotel in a decent price range (you get the 4th night free, apparently, and a 4-night stay actually costs less than $250/night). I don't know anything about it, so I didn't post.

And it looks like JetBlue has some deals going to Bermuda, although I don't know for what dates.

Yeah, my daughter really focused in on the Fairmont Southampton. I told her I was going to keep looking, but she's already got her mind set on that place! As far as I can tell, there's nothing under $200/night that won't creep her out, and she's not a princess either. She's a lacrosse player, but she won't handle bugs or dirty rooms. It's going to be hard to convince her to stay anywhere else, I'm afraid!

The southern shore seems pretty nice, but then, isn't all of Bermuda "pretty nice"? :thumbsup:

Yeah, my daughter really focused in on the Fairmont Southampton. I told her I was going to keep looking, but she's already got her mind set on that place! As far as I can tell, there's nothing under $200/night that won't creep her out, and she's not a princess either. She's a lacrosse player, but she won't handle bugs or dirty rooms. It's going to be hard to convince her to stay anywhere else, I'm afraid!

The southern shore seems pretty nice, but then, isn't all of Bermuda "pretty nice"? :thumbsup:

I know you said you want to stay 5 days, but if you stay 4, you save quite a bit. That 4th night free is a really good deal. But look into JetBlue as well. They have airfare and hotel deals.