--------------

----------------

------------------- conclusions

eball-licker

-------------

-----------------

---------------------

--------------------------

----------------------------doesn't read whole posts.

The question mark at the end mean there is no conclusion. It was listed as a question and a topic for discussions. The only conclusion I can come to in this post is that you open your yap without reading a complete post. The topic has as much interest as "Fitz the Starter" or "trade Schobel" and the many others that are started because people are anxious for football to start. It is the off season, what else are you going to talk about?

There are no 1st rounders signed and only 1 second rounder signed in the NFL.

http://backseatfan.com/index.php/2010/04/2...signing-status/

It is likely that this year there are an abnormal amount of hold outs.

1.) Agents are worried about a strike\Lock-out so they want huge money upfront for early round draft picks. (These guys don't have a warchest of money to last a season {in the lifestyle they would like})

2.) Agents are worried about a Rookie Pay Scale. So this could be the last season to negotiate huge deals.

The Bills are partially to blame for rookie holdouts. They don't like to set salaries. They're happy to let the picks around them sign first then negotiate in between those numbers.

Since we're surrounded by the Jags and Raiders, its likely that Spiller's signing will come after JOe Haden from the Browns and Anthony Davis from the 9ers

Alualu was a weird pick so the Jags could sign him for less than what Anthony Davis will get. Although the 9ers played it tough with Crabtree last year so the Chargers @12 signing Ryan Mathews is going to be very important to the Bills.

Usually a team drafting lower will wait for the higher pick to get drafted of the same position to start the negotiating down but since this is the Buffalo Bills, Ryan Mathews will most likely be the starting point to negotiate up with Joe Haden as the ceiling.

Go Bills!

Unless Buddy Nix somehow kicks the organization in the Arse and gets them to set the pace with a CJ Spiller signing.

Either way get ready for a lot of waiting and posturing.

eball-licker

-------------

-----------------

---------------------

--------------------------

----------------------------doesn't read whole posts.

The question mark at the end mean there is no conclusion. It was listed as a question and a topic for discussions. The only conclusion I can come to in this post is that you open your yap without reading a complete post. The topic has as much interest as "Fitz the Starter" or "trade Schobel" and the many others that are started because people are anxious for football to start. It is the off season, what else are you going to talk about?

The flat out answer to this question mark is

NO.

Spiller gives few if any signs of planning "on' holding out. However, if only in observing due diligence he is planning "for" a holdout if it comes to that.

His words seem prudent at worst as they are also the right thing to say if you are planning "on" signing as presenting at least some credible threat of exercising your right not to sign (this often called a holdout though it is quite different from a holdout where a player under contract violates that contract by missing mandatory sessions).

My sense is both Spiller and the Bills will pursue prudent due diligence by waiting until the last moment to sign a deal to provide a chance for the other party to panic and give a few more dollars or other benefits than mandated by the contracts signed by the picks above or below them.

In reality both the Bills and Spiller have significant outside prods for getting the deal done (the potential for a rookie salary cap in the future for Spiller and the need to get rookies into camp as quickly as possible to allow Gailey to install a new offense- and also IMHO to give Spiller some significant work in private workouts at WR as I do not see the Bills with anywhere near a proven pro #2 WR yet.

I see nothing in the Spiller quotes to raise any real concern that he is planning on holding out. Planning for this possibility if occurs yes, but planning on holding out? Nah.

Whatever. Nothing new for first rounders taken in the top 10 picks. Nobody wants to be the first to sign. Spiller will try and wait for the guy before him and after him gets signed. This is the same attitude every other first round rookie has.

In a perfect world all the players would take their slotted money. Not gonna happen without a Rookie salary cap.

Whatever. Nothing new for first rounders taken in the top 10 picks. Nobody wants to be the first to sign. Spiller will try and wait for the guy before him and after him gets signed. This is the same attitude every other first round rookie has.

In a perfect world all the players would take their slotted money. Not gonna happen without a Rookie salary cap.

The NBA has a much better system with signing draft picks. Wes Johnson, the #4 pick, is already signed.

Bottomline, it's a business and Spiller has to look out for himself and his family. Hopefully, it gets done on time but if it doesn't, you can't get mad at the guy. Plus, running back is the easy position to transition to in the pros so a holdout won't hurt him that much anyways.

There are no 1st rounders signed and only 1 second rounder signed in the NFL.

It is likely that this year there are an abnormal amount of hold outs.

1.) Agents are worried about a strike\Lock-out so they want huge money upfront for early round draft picks. (These guys don't have a warchest of money to last a season {in the lifestyle they would like})

2.) Agents are worried about a Rookie Pay Scale. So this could be the last season to negotiate huge deals.

The Bills are partially to blame for rookie holdouts. They don't like to set salaries. They're happy to let the picks around them sign first then negotiate in between those numbers.

Since we're surrounded by the Jags and Raiders, its likely that Spiller's signing will come after JOe Haden from the Browns and Anthony Davis from the 9ers

Alualu was a weird pick so the Jags could sign him for less than what Anthony Davis will get. Although the 9ers played it tough with Crabtree last year so the Chargers @12 signing Ryan Mathews is going to be very important to the Bills.

Usually a team drafting lower will wait for the higher pick to get drafted of the same position to start the negotiating down but since this is the Buffalo Bills, Ryan Mathews will most likely be the starting point to negotiate up with Joe Haden as the ceiling.

Go Bills!

Unless Buddy Nix somehow kicks the organization in the Arse and gets them to set the pace with a CJ Spiller signing.

Either way get ready for a lot of waiting and posturing.

Three pages and we finally get the excellent post.

Obvious, yet informed.

Thank you, L+W=W.

Haven't very few (if any) 1st rounders signed deals yet? It may be slotted, but its also slotted compared to what the guys ahead of him get

It happens any year and was expected to be worse this year due to most people believing there will be an 'official' rookie slotting system next year.

I have no idea why this is big deal to people.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...act-before-camp

I thought I read a few days ago how much he wanted to get into camp, now he is saying he is in no rush to sign a contract and get to camp on time? I sure hope Lynch isn't having too much of an impression on him

Do you really think the player has anything to do with when they arrive in camp. Everyone says they want to be there but until the team agrees to pay then what they are slotted to recieve a deal won't get done. Who's fault is it Maybin didn't make it to camp? Blame the FO.

Do you really think the player has anything to do with when they arrive in camp. Everyone says they want to be there but until the team agrees to pay then what they are slotted to recieve a deal won't get done. Who's fault is it Maybin didn't make it to camp? Blame the FO.

The whole point of my post, other than just to have something to talk about was how in just a few days he went from wanting to be in camp on time to seeming like he really didn't care if he got in on time? Yes sometimes players do have something to do with it, the agents work for them, sometimes it is the agent, and yes like you said it is often the front office not wanting to overpay-which is why almost every team likes to wait for other teams to sign players so they can base their contracts on what others got. I only posted a question, as a topic of discussion and some people are translating it into panic? Don't read too much into general conversation, and I am not talking specifically about you. Some people here start posts that are general items (like this one-or about Pats Cheerleaders or playing a Toilet Bowl?) and expect everyone to read them and answer them like the Bills season depends on it, but when other people do they throw insults at you. They only makes themselves look like idiots.

The whole point of my post, other than just to have something to talk about was how in just a few days he went from wanting to be in camp on time to seeming like he really didn't care if he got in on time? Yes sometimes players do have something to do with it, the agents work for them, sometimes it is the agent, and yes like you said it is often the front office not wanting to overpay-which is why almost every team likes to wait for other teams to sign players so they can base their contracts on what others got. I only posted a questions, as a topic of discussion and some people are translating it into panic? Don't read too much into general conversation, and I am not talking specifically about you.

Players don't live in a vacuum. No doubt the NFLPA told agents and players to inform their clients not to rush/be coerced into any contracts, given the impending lockout.

• 3 weeks later...

So Haden and Anthony Davis are both signed. Spiller has to be close.

5 years 35mil, 20 mil guaranteed is where the contract should be around.

We'll see if the Bills are trying to get it closer to 25 mil and 15 guaranteed.

Alright NIX time to take care of Gailey's "Waterbug."

So Haden and Anthony Davis are both signed. Spiller has to be close.

5 years 35mil, 20 mil guaranteed is where the contract should be around.

We'll see if the Bills are trying to get it closer to 25 mil and 15 guaranteed.

Alright NIX time to take care of Gailey's "Waterbug."

Nix has nothing to do with contracts

Overdorf has full control over the finances and will drag this signing out just like every year