Spiller planning on holding out?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does hold out, which I doubt he will, it wont be for long. He made plenty of money at clemson. I think he's just posturing like someone else said, this isnt anything to get all worked up about.

I don't know anyone who is getting worked up over it? I started the topic as a question (hence the ?). Just food for thought on a boring day when football can't get here soon enough.

I don't know anyone who is getting worked up over it? I started the topic as a question (hence the ?). Just food for thought on a boring day when football can't get here soon enough.

Not you specifically, but in general, this isnt anything to freak out over, speaking of which, someone tell jaohl, to dial it back a few notches.

I mean, ultimately it's a negotiation, and you deserve what you can get away with. He can play the game until the first day of camp, and then I'll be annoyed at him. But I'm sure whatever he's holding out for will be worth more to him than my approval.

Holdouts shouldn't even come into play this year. If the front office was smart (insert generic slam here) they would make a fair offer. If it is rejected take money away until he signs. What's he going to do, return to college? If he holds out until next year, as a rookie, he'll be subject to a rookie salary cap....hopefully.

Bills should be pioneers and offer him less than the standard 9th overall pick salary but GUARANTEE a portion of it. Help solve part of the problem that the league faces.

Holdouts shouldn't even come into play this year. If the front office was smart (insert generic slam here) they would make a fair offer. If it is rejected take money away until he signs. What's he going to do, return to college? If he holds out until next year, as a rookie, he'll be subject to a rookie salary cap....hopefully.

Bills should be pioneers and offer him less than the standard 9th overall pick salary but GUARANTEE a portion of it. Help solve part of the problem that the league faces.

Dunno. With the uncapped year, I'd be inclined to let my 1st rounder twist on the vine until he and his agent meest my terms. Lots of them hold out anyways, through the years. To me, their value drops. So I'll wait until their itch for that requisite Cadillac Escalade grows. For most teams, ticket sell-outs are the norm, so if a golden child holds out, it doesn't hurt me a bit.

The league camps start the end of this month, and nobody in the 1st has signed. I think there was one 2nd rounder that inked a contract.

I don't know if he's planning on it but I 'd say odds are greater than 50/50 he will. As the system works now, everyone waits around for a #1 to sign. That sort of set the price. Anyone higher than him expects more. When someone else signs, then if you're in between them, you need more than the lower guy. It's call slotting. So, it kindof depends on what happens to the 8 and 10 guys. Of course the # 8 guys wants to wait and see what he gets so he can try to get more.

Holding out for 1st rounders is just the way it works in the 21 century NFL.

Maybin and his agent wanted more than his slot allowed. That's not Ralph Wilson being cheap, that's Maybin being greedy. Same goes for Spiller. Take your slot value and sign. Don't be an ass.

PTR

Exactly right. Take your slotted money and get your ass to camp.

We're doomed! Without our number 9 pick we have no RB! It's one of our team's biggest holes!

... Oh, wait, what did you say? We have two pro bowl RBs already and CJ is going to play less than 50% of the offensive snaps anyway?

Well, that changes everything.

Maybin and his agent wanted more than his slot allowed. That's not Ralph Wilson being cheap, that's Maybin being greedy. Same goes for Spiller. Take your slot value and sign. Don't be an ass.

PTR

Maybin and his agent waited till the slots were established. Crabtree's delay in signing held back a bunch of players in that neighborhood.

If he does hold out, which I doubt he will, it wont be for long. He made plenty of money at clemson. I think he's just posturing like someone else said, this isnt anything to get all worked up about.

Very witty Bill.

Maybe the comparisons to Reggie Bush are accurate after all.

Very witty Bill.

Maybe the comparisons to Reggie Bush are accurate after all.

just a dig at Clempsun, thats all, and since I'm a carolina fan, It pains me to be rooting for him, but since he's a bill now i guess its ok.