Buddy Nix Thinking

The Bills sure have taken a lot of greif on NFL Network and ESPN for not addressing thier "needs" in the 2010 draft. I believe they have been doing exactly what they should. The QB's available (beyond Bradford) should not have taken where the Bills picked. I do believe CJ Spiller was the best available. Looking down the road to who might be available at QB in the draft next year, we have Jake Locker and Christian Ponder. Mr Nix and Mr Whaley have to be sharp enoough to know the Bills should be in position to get one of these guys. Here are the bottom ten teams in the NFL listed with their current QB, their chances of drafting a QB #1 and listed by their odds of reaching the Super Bowl this year. Bills fans, I think their is a franchise QB on the horizon.

Denver drafted Time Tebow 2010, not likely

Carolina

Carolina have Matt Moore, drafted Jimmy Claussen, not likely

Cleveland Jake Delhomme, likely but could be better than the Bills

Detroit Matthew Stafford, not likely

Kansas City paid a ton to get Cassel, not likely

Oakland Jason Campbell, likely, but with their

defense should finish higher than the Bills

Tampa Bay Freeman, not likely

St Loius Sam Bradford, not likely

Overall, I'd say the Bills will be in position for one of the top QB's, both considered first rounders

Simply put, you're right.

Nix and Gailey -- and Whaley -- knew the Bills needed a lot of help in a lot of places. They were not one or two players away from winning the Super Bowl. They're building from the ground up. Reaching for a Jimmy Claussen or a Colt McCoy was going to leave them with a lot of the same needs next year and stuck with a high-round QB who wasn't what they really wanted anyway.

Nix and Gailey -- and Whaley -- knew the Bills needed a lot of help in a lot of places. They were not one or two players away from winning the Super Bowl. They're building from the ground up. Reaching for a Jimmy Claussen or a Colt McCoy was going to leave them with a lot of the same needs next year and stuck with a high-round QB who wasn't what they really wanted anyway.

Two comments:

1. Picking Claussen or McCoy with their 2nd round pick would not have been considered a REACH. It would have actually been a bargain (as evidenced by the reaction to the Panthers picking Claussen).

2. When you build from the ground up, it is important that you fix the most important position in football. Secondly, they did not address any new talent for the OL. If you are building from ground up, then you should have filled the trenches first.

The Pundits will not go away until the Bills have solved their LT and QB position. Hopefully Gailey will be able to coach these guys to be better at this position, whether it is Bell/Meredith/Wang for the LT and Edwards/Fitz/Brohm at the QB position.

I agree on you breakdown of each team. Except for oakland you should have put "well it's oakland. . ."

but now they just have to pick the right guy between Mallet / Luck / Locker. . .

The problem is that with the turnover in the NFL it is hard to predict the bottom ten teams for the next year....It is highly possible that say a team like Arizona may fall apart with Leinart at the controls and will be picking in the top five and will pick a QB. Similarly, the 49ers do have a need for a QB and they have finished barely a game ahead of the bills in the last few years.

we need to take a hard look at ricki stanzi from Iowa, and nathan Enderle from Idaho, not just the top 3 guys. Both Stanzi and Enderle are intriguing prospects worth keeping tabs on this season, especially Stanzi.

I understand stand what your saying 100%. My only thought was when Clausen was on the board at 41 I was jumping for JOY. I thought maybe wrongly so he was a "steal" at 41. Not a reach. for that matter, McCoy might have been decent value too.

Bottom line is the Bills didn't think ether was worthy.

I said it before and I will say it again!!

There was no qb in the 2010 draft that was or is a sure thing franchise player, yes not even Bradford. That pick is a big gamble, bum shoulder, concusion the guy is fragile. He was graded on a private practice with no presure and no equipment.

We effectivly have a top draft pick in Brohm, maybe he is not the guy but for year one of Nix's reign he made the right call next years draft has a tone of top qbs.

Its the best draft class since Jim kelly's. We will have the chance to get a legite talent with a top 15 pick.

leave it alone,

Brohm is the guy this year

I said it before and I will say it again!!

There was no qb in the 2010 draft that was or is a sure thing franchise player, yes not even Bradford. That pick is a big gamble, bum shoulder, concusion the guy is fragile. He was graded on a private practice with no presure and no equipment.

We effectivly have a top draft pick in Brohm, maybe he is not the guy but for year one of Nix's reign he made the right call next years draft has a tone of top qbs.

Its the best draft class since Jim kelly's. We will have the chance to get a legite talent with a top 15 pick.

leave it alone,

Brohm is the guy this year

Funny thing is, next year, you will here the same lines about those QB's coing out.

I'm of the opinion that if you're a team like Buffalo - who isn't attracting the big name F.A.'s - and you need a franchise QB, then you trade whatever you need to to get into position in the draft to grab a guy you know will be very good. I think just about any team could get into the first spot - as long as the team already there doesn't need the guy as badly as you do... in which case maybe you can't trade up; but, I think to secure that one position, which is good for six years if he's a top 15 player, then you can consider it a good draft if you walk away with that starter, even if you've got nothing else.

An example. To have been able to draft Peyton Manning - if the Colts came away from that draft with no one but Manning, I think you still have to consider it a successful offseason. You can usually get the other positions in F.A.

The one big question I have with that approach is: if you're the Bills and you're going to see what you have this year, but you're pretty much waiting to grab the great QB next year, then don't you spend this year beefing up the O-line so that next year you've got a good line waiting for the QB? As it is now, we're going to have to get our QB and a LT next year.

With our team as it is now - I really like our defense, and it's young and will develop now without having to add too much, we could walk away from next year's offseason with a QB and a LT and be looking pretty solid. I know we should be adding five or more starters with the draft and F.A., but I'd be happy if we came away with those two positions - and I don't think that is too unrealistic to ask for.

1. Picking Claussen or McCoy with their 2nd round pick would not have been considered a REACH. It would have actually been a bargain (as evidenced by the reaction to the Panthers picking Claussen).

2. When you build from the ground up, it is important that you fix the most important position in football. Secondly, they did not address any new talent for the OL. If you are building from ground up, then you should have filled the trenches first.

The Pundits will not go away until the Bills have solved their LT and QB position.

1. Maybe. But in comparison to next year's QB class -- that bargain looks like a good price on a Yugo.

2. Agreed. I'm nervous about the O-line, but I feel good about most of what Whaley/Nix/Gailey are doing and I figure they have a plan there, too -- I just don't see it yet. Probably, my bad.

Pundits? I barely pay attention to my own posts -- who cares about pundits . . . Now if Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert start ragging on the Bills, I'll get nervous . . . but ESPN, et al. . . . nah!