Travel to the Middle East

Dan

Just curious... has any of the board faithful had to travel to the middle east recently for business? I may have an opportunity in the near future and, needless to say, it's a little concerning given all the recent year's relations.

Where in the Middle East? My first reaction would be to go. A dear family friend of mine spends a third of his time in sales there. I suppose you learn what not to say and do, but normally a host family or company will make arrangements to ensure the safety and comfort of business travelers.

Where in the Middle East? My first reaction would be to go. A dear family friend of mine spends a third of him time in sales there. I suppose you learn what not to say and do, but normally a host family or company will make arrangements to ensure the safety and comfort of business travelers.

Saudi Arabia. I'll definitely go, if the opportunity comes to pass. It could be quite lucrative. And, that's what I've been told the host company will arrange everything and take care of all travel, hotels, everything. My concern is.. I'm a long haired, cowboy hat, jean wearin, piss on you kinda guy and I'm not in any way familar with specific custums, dress, etiquette, and the like for that region of the world. So, I don't want to piss anyone off and end up in some infidel boot camp.

Saudi Arabia. I'll definitely go, if the opportunity comes to pass. It could be quite lucrative. And, that's what I've been told the host company will arrange everything and take care of all travel, hotels, everything. My concern is.. I'm a long haired, cowboy hat, jean wearin, piss on you kinda guy and I'm not in any way familar with specific custums, dress, etiquette, and the like for that region of the world. So, I don't want to piss anyone off and end up in some infidel boot camp.

Brother in law travels to Dubai a lot; never heard of him having a problem (in fact, I think he rather enjoys it).

The Saudi kingdom is, of course, as different from Dubai as San Francisco is from West Virginia.

Just curious... has any of the board faithful had to travel to the middle east recently for business? I may have an opportunity in the near future and, needless to say, it's a little concerning given all the recent year's relations.

You work for NASA?

Hey Dan,

I actually grew up in the Middle East..on the last month of my teaching stint in Abu Dhabi before I go back to UB for my PhD.

Right now, the money is definitely here in the middle east. But like every country there are different rules, culture traditions.....and perceptions. I think you'll be fine as long as you comprehend and adhere to them.

These sites maybe of use :

You should definitely find time to visit Dubai when you're down. Its pretty much NYC and Monte Carlo rolled into one. Its probably the most liberal city in the middle east. You wont feel out of place there at all.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for all the comments. It should be interesting if it happens, which the probability is quite high. We may spend some time in Dubai - that's where our current contact lives. However, the work would be in KSA; so he's saying all our time will be there. Of course no actual travel plans are made yet. The first trip is mostly exploratory and securing the work. If all goes well, it could become much more routine, possibly even looking to hire a couple of people to go over for extended periods. Definitely a big step for our outfit.

No I don't work for NASA, but I would like to take this time and recognize all the achievements the Muslim world has made to internet message boards. There are a lot of gifted Muslim posters and it's our priority that we encourage them to post more. :thumbsup:

Saudi's a great place to dry out. Always leave small footprints. Remember, you're a guest.

Thanks for all the comments. It should be interesting if it happens, which the probability is quite high. We may spend some time in Dubai - that's where our current contact lives. However, the work would be in KSA; so he's saying all our time will be there. Of course no actual travel plans are made yet. The first trip is mostly exploratory and securing the work. If all goes well, it could become much more routine, possibly even looking to hire a couple of people to go over for extended periods. Definitely a big step for our outfit.

No I don't work for NASA, but I would like to take this time and recognize all the achievements the Muslim world has made to internet message boards. There are a lot of gifted Muslim posters and it's our priority that we encourage them to post more. :thumbsup:

I like that this forum seems to have a pretty secular vibe. I guess faith in the Bills unites :lol:

FYI...not sure sure if the muslim poster part was directed at me....but I am a content agnostic, oblivious to religion with a single minded dedication to science..........and the bills. If not... <_<

I like that this forum seems to have a pretty secular vibe. I guess faith in the Bills unites <_<

FYI...not sure sure if the muslim poster part was directed at me....but I am a content agnostic, oblivious to religion with a single minded dedication to science..........and the bills. If not... :thumbsup:

No the muslim part was a bad attempt at humor, stemming from the PPP board in which someone started a thread about NASA's role being redefined.

May I ask what your PhD is in?

No the muslim part was a bad attempt at humor, stemming from the PPP board in which someone started a thread about NASA's role being redefined.

May I ask what your PhD is in?

I will be starting it this fall. It is a Biomedical Sciences PhD in either Pharmacology or Structural Biology/Biochemistry.

I will be starting it this fall. It is a Biomedical Sciences PhD in either Pharmacology or Structural Biology/Biochemistry.

Great.....just what we need on this board - ANOTHER Structural Biology/Biochemistry Ph.D. Geez! :rolleyes:

:nana:

Great.....just what we need on this board - ANOTHER Structural Biology/Biochemistry Ph.D. Geez! :rolleyes:

I tried being an unemployed vagrant living off my familial wealth for a while....did nothing but watch movies and date women. Then I saw Knight and Day. I realized that I had given away the last shred of self respect and dignity I had left, with the $10 it took to watch that drivel. I left the theater that night searching for meaning and understanding. Why does Cameron Diaz look like shes 60? Why is Tom Cruise not in a mental institution? What possessed me to miss a world cup semifinal and watch that brain numbing nonsense?

I decided right then and there that I would shut myself in my cozy lab and study. Do anything but subject myself to another mental vasectomy that was Knight and Day.