Bills | Brian Brohm believes he is ready to be the Bills starter...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Buffalo Bills QB Brian Brohm said he believes he is ready to be the starting quarterback for the Bills, according to Michael Grant, of the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I feel like I can fully compete for this starting job. I feel like I'm ready to take charge out there. We'll see what happens. But I feel like I'm at a position where I'll be able to put my best foot forward and make a legitimate run at the starting job," Brohm said.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL#ixzz0swxZb7dM

In my opinion all three QB's are finally going to get the proper coaching/ attention they need to develop and flourish properly in the NFL.

Brohm, Edwards and Fitzpatrick under Chan Gailey will all three gain confidence/ knowledge that they will be able to carry with them into the future and myself personally, I think its a win/win/win situation.

I like Brohm's attitude and what he brings to the table, but I still give the edge to our Captain Checkdown/Glove wearing Mary.

Trent Edwards seems to have his confidence back and so far at least has expressed his willingness to let it all hang out,

I'm sure Gailey realizes where Edwards is at in his career and how crucial it is for him as a QB/ Leader of his Buffalo Bills football team, that he gets back in the saddle and rides. Brian Brohm may one day be the Bills long term answer at the QB position, but give the fella a year under our new HC and a chance to learn the offense.

Captain Checkdown/ Glove wearing Mary has taken off the Gloves and his time is now,

I Billieve...

Yet, I am excited to see if the kid can produce... How excited would it be right now if we drafted Clausen?????? We would be lighting up this board with optimism.

Would we? Hate to piss in your Cheerios, but not everybody was a Clausen fan.

IMHO, if the Pickle was drafted, you would have seen about the same level of optimism, just different people showing it.

nothing wrong with a guy making his case. I like the confidence.

There is a fine line between annoying cockiness and strong confidence. So far he's on the right side of things. JMO

really dont think he should be playing if he didnt think he could win the job

What he said. :censored:

IMHO, if the Pickle was drafted, you would have seen about the same level of optimism, just different people showing it.

From what I've read Clausen was on the wrong side of cocky/confident.

In my opinion all three QB's are finally going to get the proper coaching/ attention they need to develop and flourish properly in the NFL.

Brohm, Edwards and Fitzpatrick under Chan Gailey will all three gain confidence/ knowledge that they will be able to carry with them into the future and myself personally, I think its a win/win/win situation.

I like Brohm's attitude and what he brings to the table, but I still give the edge to our Captain Checkdown/Glove wearing Mary.

Trent Edwards seems to have his confidence back and so far at least has expressed his willingness to let it all hang out,

I'm sure Gailey realizes where Edwards is at in his career and how crucial it is for him as a QB/ Leader of his Buffalo Bills football team, that he gets back in the saddle and rides. Brian Brohm may one day be the Bills long term answer at the QB position, but give the fella a year under our new HC and a chance to learn the offense.

Captain Checkdown/ Glove wearing Mary has taken off the Gloves and his time is now,

I Billieve...

Ok, obviously when you woke up this morning, you took a giant swig from the whiskey bottle you leave under your bed. Trent has his confidence back? Really? Too bad that doesnt make a lick of difference because he's a BAD QB. Confidence or no confidence, he's an awful decision maker, with a questionable arm, behind an awful line. He's a total mess.

When are you guys going to realize that whoever is taking snaps this year, or next year, and possible the year after that....its just a tackling dummy.

THEY'RE BUILDING A TEAM FROM THE GROUND UP! You will not see the Bills in a playoff game, for a minimum of 3-5years...and thats their plan. When they see a QB they really like in the next 3 years, they'll take him and look for immediate impact.

So why even speculate on any quarterbacks? They're all !@#$ing terrible and it doesnt matter.

Buffalo Bills QB Brian Brohm said he believes he is ready to be the starting quarterback for the Bills, according to Michael Grant, of the Louisville Courier-Journal. "I feel like I can fully compete for this starting job. I feel like I'm ready to take charge out there. We'll see what happens. But I feel like I'm at a position where I'll be able to put my best foot forward and make a legitimate run at the starting job," Brohm said.

Maybe this is Alphadawg's source claiming Brohm's immense "growth." :censored:

Here is my concern with Brohm. He had his chance to become a number two QB in Green Bay and he failed. All the reports I have read indicated he lacked or lost confidence. That alone is a huge red flag to me. As you pointed out, a QB must be a leader and a confident leader. I believe the lost of confidence issue is a huge issue with Brohm and also Edwards. I think it is more "deep rooted" and part of thier pyschological makeup. I can't remember the great QB's ever really lacking confidence... A franchise QB must proccess an almost "cocky like" attitude that oozes out confidence. First one to come to my mind is Jim Kelly. I don't think it can be taught. I think you have it or you don't. (side note that's why I like Jimmy Clausen)

Just my two cents. Time will tell whether Brohm has the leadership qualities to become our franchise QB.

+1

the confidence problems he suffered with in GB were due in part to the system, and has been well documented. As he himself stated in the article, he has regained confidence and has confidence in the system the resembles what he ran at UL. this wouldnt be the first time a player, esp a chan gailey coached player (maddox), has come back from almost certain failure to find success. As we all know, only time will tell, but IMo, brohms troubles in GB came from the situation, system, and disappointment.

not many players, esp a QB, would be stoked about dropping a whole rd (projected top 10 to top 2nd rd), then getting drafted to a team with one of the premier QBs in the league (rodgers) and a completely foreign system that doesnt complement his skills (WCO).

Im not making excuses for him, he clearly failed to live up to his billing in GB, but I can see where it wasn't a good situation for him, which is why he spurned their matched contract and opted to come here instead.

I can only imagine that he is even further delighted with his decision now that chan gailey is here. Our new HC has had success rehabbing so-so Qb's such as jay fiedler, tommy maddox, kordell stewart, tyler thigpin, plus has coached a few greats like Elway and Aikman.

Bottom line is, he will have to win the job, we all know that, nothing will be handed over, but from what we have seen and heard, all signs are pointing to this being brohms team in 2010, and that's probably a good thing.

IIRC, Brohm's top ten projection was well before the Combine and potentially before the end of the college season, which means absolutely nothing. Do I need to give you a list of players projected to go first round that got drafted on the second day, the third day (since there's been one), or not drafted at all? Besides, what a cop-out, bull **** excuse that is, as are the rest of your "explanations" for his failure. His failure is his and his alone. If he turns it around, great. But the onus is on him to do so.

I Billieve...

What are you smoking and where can I get some??

IIRC, Brohm's top ten projection was well before the Combine and potentially before the end of the college season, which means absolutely nothing. Do I need to give you a list of players projected to go first round that got drafted on the second day, the third day (since there's been one), or not drafted at all? Besides, what a cop-out, bull **** excuse that is, as are the rest of your "explanations" for his failure. His failure is his and his alone. If he turns it around, great. But the onus is on him to do so.

I covered that right below the main part of my post, where I said "I am not making excuses for him, he clearly didn't live up to his billing in GB..." calm down

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Billieve...

Good analysis....But I'm thinking that Brohm has more upside than the others and if Gailey judges that he had the right football stability, then he's the guy the go with 'cause he's the guy who can get better than the others.

I covered that right below the main part of my post, where I said "I am not making excuses for him, he clearly didn't live up to his billing in GB..." calm down

Except that's exactly what you were doing. And I'm perfectly calm, although I appreciate your concern.

You could be correct but I suspect most here would be very excited and optimistic about Clausen. Fan or not, the very fact that we are starving for that franchise QB would have "blinded" many of us into being optimistic.

At this point, I find it hard to believe many of us would be slamming him and being down right pessimistic about him. That's coming from one pessimistic Bills fan.

Now, all this doesn't translate to him being successful and that is the most important issue.

All I know is the OTA's and training camp would be alot different if we drafted him. I believe it is logical to take the next step and say this board would be loving him. Maybe I am wrong...

Agreed that these type of confident expressions is what you want to hear. While him saying this is no guarantee at all that it will happen, ironically if he did not have this belief in himself then he almost certainly will not succeed in becoming the franchise QB. One of the necessary elements in being a leader of a team is that you have to demonstrate you believe in yourself.

While one should never mistake the horrible reality of real combat for the high-priced but relative trivia of playing a boys game, the analogies of the leadership needed to lead a team into battle effectively are proximate to a lot of what it takes to lead a team to sports victory.

While the generals are a useful thing to hang in the rear and decide upon and implement overarching stragegy, the key to the successful team is the on the ground leadership provided in war by the platoon leader. This person does not send troops off to die in battle but says follow me and leads troops into the breach.

Our overuse of war language to describe something as silly a football game is to a great extent at least unfortunate (and actually a bit insulting to those who really risk it all in battle for the benefit of society) however, it is accurate in leading a team into any high stakes endeavor that the true leader has an almost insane level of confidence in themselves and in their team. It is this follow me leadership which gets the other players on the team to also do insane things that allows a team (if they are lucky) to ultimately win.

I do not care who wins the QB battle between these three candidates (or Levi Add-on whathisname) wins the job. I just care that someone proves to be good enough and lucky enough to deserve it.

The one mistake which I hope the braintrust does not make is not trust and wait on the eventual QB with the right tools to win the job themselves on the field. Even if Brohm seems to the coaches based on practice to be the one who they think deserves the job, a key is likely they should not simply award him the job based on their "superior" judgment but instead trust that the game through the vagaries of injuries or some other twist of fate allows Brohm to prove himself on the field and really grab the job by the throat himself and then refuse to let it go with his superior play.

I also think Brohm is the most likely of the three to be the real deal (I think Edwards is actually good but unfortunately has been too injury prone to rely on as the franchise- I have hopes for Fitzy to play the Frank Reich role but I do not think he is talented enough to be a consistent starter.

However, particularly since Brohm has a shot in GB and failed I think that him winning the job rather than being given the job is smart for us and probably useful for him to win the hearts and minds of his teammates and fans.

Great post

Guest dog14787
Good analysis....But I'm thinking that Brohm has more upside than the others and if Gailey judges that he had the right football stability, then he's the guy the go with 'cause he's the guy who can get better than the others.

If Brian Brohm has more of an upside then Fitz or TE, isn't that all the more reason to give Brohm a full year under his belt to learn the new offense, especially considering our O-Line is still very suspect and our young group of WR's / TE's are for the most part inexperienced and unproven in the NFL.

Isn't it high time the Buffalo Bills started treating their players with a little more consideration for whats best for them?

If Trent Edwards doesn't start this season the Bills just trashed another young and promising QB's career in my opinion and if they throw Brian Brohm into the fire before he's ready, get him injured and ruin his confidence you can add Brohm to the list.

Trent Edwards has been there, done that and he needs the chance to bounce back from it with a decent coach who knows what the hell he's doing when it comes to an offense.

Bill thanks for responding back. I think everyone deserves a second chance and that includes Brohm. In a nutshell, I don't think the guy has the "it" factor based on his prior actions/behaviors to be a franchise QB. I think he has a decent chance under Gailey's leadership to be a decent to slighty above average QB. Not to mention the OL problems can hurt his confidence and effectiveness...

I think we all including myself are so desperate for a quaility QB that sometimes we are "grasping at straws." I really think this Brohm situation fits that expression "to a tee".

Yet, I am excited to see if the kid can produce... How excited would it be right now if we drafted Clausen?????? We would be lighting up this board with optimism.

I would not be excited AT ALL. I didn't and don't like Clausen. there weren't too many clausen supporters around here during the draft. I am personally excited about Brohm. and its not just grasping at straws. there is plenty of reason to believe BB can take that next step.

Really, what would you expect him to say? "You know, I'm doing alright, but let Trent or Ryan start the season, when I'm feeling a little better I'll let you know..."

I would not be excited AT ALL. I didn't and don't like Clausen. there weren't too many clausen supporters around here during the draft. I am personally excited about Brohm. and its not just grasping at straws. there is plenty of reason to believe BB can take that next step.

Such as?

I don't know that I agree that Brohm has already "failed" as an NFL quarterback as many of you suggest. He was only in Green Bay for 1 season and was sitting behind entrenched starter Rogers etc. I'm not sure why Green Bay drafted him, they didn't really need another quarterback. He ended up on the practice squad because he was the 4th quarterback and the only one eligible for the PS. They didn't want to cut him. It's true that he didn't look too good in the preseason games he was allowed to play in in Green Bay but I don't think the west coast offense was a good fit for him and he was also playing with a bunch of scrubs. Preseason games don't mean much as we all know.

Green Bay never really gave Brohm a chance to play so he hasn't really had a chance to fail yet. He looked pretty bad in his one appearance for the Bills last year, but Peyton Manning would look bad playing for Jauron's awful Bills last year. I'm willing to overlook that game especially considering he had only joined the team a few weeks prior. From what I've seen of the practice highlights, Brohm is looking pretty sharp. How many more times do we need to watch Edwards throw for 120 yards a game and no touchdowns before we all admit the guy sucks? Fitzpatrick is a solid number 2 quarterback. He has already proven that he isn't a starter. Brohm is the best chance we have right now. The Bills need to see what they have in Brohm before they spend their top pick on a QB next year. Leaving Edwards as the starter won't do anything in the long run.

Also, I sure hope the Bills are not on a 3-5 year rebuilding plan! That doesn't work in this era of football. Gailey would get fired before they finished rebuilding, most of the players will leave as free agents before then too. Good coaches can turn a team around in 1 season. Look at the Dolphins. They went 1-15 and hired a new coach and went to the playoffs the next year. How come the Bills are the only team that needs to take 3 years to revamp their team? The Bills have a couple obvious weak spots on the roster, left tackle particularly, but they also have a lot of young players that are yet to play their best NFL football. Gailey is not Dick Jauron, he actually plans to use his rookie players. I don't think the Bills are about to win the Super Bowl, but they might just have a respectable season. After all, considering how tough the AFC east is, and all of the problems the Bills had, they have still been a relatively middle of the road team, not a bottom dweller (7-9, 7-9, 6-10) not 1-15, 2-14 etc.

If Brian Brohm has more of an upside then Fitz or TE, isn't that all the more reason to give Brohm a full year under his belt to learn the new offense, especially considering our O-Line is still very suspect and our young group of WR's / TE's are for the most part inexperienced and unproven in the NFL.

If you had bothered to read the article, you would have seen the type of offense Chan is running is similar to the one Brohm ran while at Louisville. That means Brohm should be further along the learning curve as opposed to the other QB's when it comes to learning and running the this offense.

If anybody needs to sit for "another" year to learn the offense, it would be the other 3 QB's.

Isn't it high time the Buffalo Bills started treating their players with a little more consideration for whats best for them?

If Trent Edwards doesn't start this season the Bills just trashed another young and promising QB's career in my opinion and if they throw Brian Brohm into the fire before he's ready, get him injured and ruin his confidence you can add Brohm to the list.

Trent Edwards has been there, done that and he needs the chance to bounce back from it with a decent coach who knows what the hell he's doing when it comes to an offense.

So let me get this straight. The guy who is most familiar with the O should sit another year so he can continue learning the new offense (because we don't want to ruin his confidence), but the Bills have to give Trent (who's confidence is ruined) another chance to regain his confidence back with an O he's just learning?

:rolleyes:

Talk about a recipe for disaster.

This smells like another potential excuse. If Trent fails, you can claim he was learning a new O, therefore needs yet another chance to prove himself.