Oakland bracing itself for possible riots

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is WisconsinBillz fan giving conner a run for "most annoying poster on this board"? :unsure:

But, seriously. What is it with you and race relations? Isn't there anything else you care about?

Do you think that antagonizing minorities is going to get you what you want...whatever that is? Do you think posting antagonizing stories is going to convince us of something? What, exactly? I am certain that you are convincing people of plenty, but none of it is what you intend.

Did you/family/friend get Affirmative Actioned out of a job or something?

I am the first person to say Affirmative Action has to go, because I have heard this directly from minorities who don't want to be seen as not having earned their spot. I see it as only logical that I should derive my opinion from theirs, as they are immediately involved, and have been directly affected.

I am not antagonizing anybody by saying that. I am relating a POV that has the benefit of being logically sound.

That's not how I would characterize your posts about race.

But, seriously. What is it with you and race relations? Isn't there anything else you care about?

I think we'll learn one day that WBF is nothing more than an Exalted Cyclops who "wasn’t a Klansman long enough to get his sheet broke in.”

How do you mistake a gun for a taser? :unsure:

I could see accidentally grabbing one over the other, but you would think the mistake would register before you pulled the trigger.

Then again, cops and soldiers are two jobs that I generally don't attempt to project personal my sense of 'reasonableness' during conduct since I have no f---ing idea what it's like to face the kinds of situations these guys do on a regular basis.

Well, all sniping at WBF aside. It is the truth. In fact, I have a Chinese guy working for me and the night before last he spent his evening helping a couple friends board up the windows on their restaurants in Oakland. He was contemplating taking the day off because he is afraid of his house and kids in school. He is here today though. No joke. Chinese community has been victimized before by this kind of thing by these animals. But no one could give a flying fugg about them.

Well, all sniping at WBF aside. It is the truth. In fact, I have a Chinese guy working for me and the night before last he spent his evening helping a couple friends board up the windows on their restaurants in Oakland. He was contemplating taking the day off because he is afraid of his house and kids in school. He is here today though. No joke. Chinese community has been victimized before by this kind of thing by these animals. But no one could give a flying fugg about them.

Do you, in fact, know the way to San Jose? :unsure: One of the cleanest cities I have ever been.

Anyway, I am not sure I like this whole "we better get our way, or we riot" crap. And I am certainly not on board with "let's go steal stuff from people that have nothing to do with it, and call it justice" either.

If they start that Rodney King schit, send in everybody and start cracking heads, right away. It's not like people breaking into stores, stealing TVs, and shooting at fireman and medics have some sort of claim to the moral high ground.

The EMTs, hospitals, FD, and PD in Oakland are on alert about this. The local clergy are trying to calm things down, but the guy's family are whipping it up.The incident was on tape. It is obvious that the BART cop accidentally grabbed his pistol instead of the taser. The guy he shot and his friends were causing trouble on BART on New Years Day (about 2 AM). They were trying to cuff him and he was resisting. The DA was trying for a 1st degree murder charge.

Y'know, I typically don't like watching "beating" videos, but I was trying to figure out how a cop was acquitted if there was video of him beating a handcuffed person. I didn't see the kid handcuffed in that video. Now granted, that seemed like quite the excessive beating -- handcuffed or not -- but did I miss something between the video and the story? Did he beat him again later?

Is WisconsinBillz fan giving conner a run for "most annoying poster on this board"? :unsure:

Do you think that antagonizing minorities is going to get you what you want...whatever that is? Do you think posting antagonizing stories is going to convince us of something? What, exactly? I am certain that you are convincing people of plenty, but none of it is what you intend.

I'm not antagonizing anyone. I just despise double standards. For example what would the liberals/mainstream media be saying if Oscar Grant was a Tea party member?

Did you/family/friend get Affirmative Actioned out of a job or something?

I am the first person to say Affirmative Action has to go, because I have heard this directly from minorities who don't want to be seen as not having earned their spot. I see it as only logical that I should derive my opinion from theirs, as they are immediately involved, and have been directly affected.

This is a whole other topic and it wouldnt be a bad idea if you started a new thread about it so we can discuss this at full length.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/us/02bctrial.html

Meanwhile, people who describe themselves as anarchists and communists have been meeting in basements and East Bay bookstores, vowing that the trial’s true verdict will take place in the streets.

Amri Daniels, a member of the Uhuru Solidarity Movement, an activist group that says it is dedicated to the liberation of African people throughout the world, said at a meeting on Tuesday night that he had been talking with some of the city’s young people, and that “it’s not going well.”

These kids have weapons, and they’re fired up[/b],” Mr. Daniels said. “They’re not interested in all this talk.”

Hope Marshawn stuck around in Buffalo after minicamp.

I seen all kinds of cop on citizen beat-downs - unless you plan to kill and/or die you are not going to come out ahead in a physical altercation - racism, class, play a part but anyone can get abused I've seen lippy white teen girls get slapped to the ground and rag dolled by a hulking cop, -grand mothers, skater-punks, deaf people, - right or wrong cops want immediate compliance this gets the (mentally ill/impaired/unstable, sensory impaired, physically impaired, non-English speaking and ornery stubborn) beat down a lot.

I seen all kinds of cop on citizen beat-downs - unless you plan to kill and/or die you are not going to come out ahead in a physical altercation - racism, class, play a part but anyone can get abused I've seen lippy white teen girls get slapped to the ground and rag dolled by a hulking cop, -grand mothers, skater-punks, deaf people, - right or wrong cops want immediate compliance this gets the (mentally ill/impaired/unstable, sensory impaired, physically impaired, non-English speaking and ornery stubborn) beat down a lot.

/end_thread

winner = lybob

When the cop tells you to stop and put your hands where he can see them or behind your back so that he can cuff you, and you resist, don't get all pissy after he beats and/or shoots you. It's your own damn fault

There definitely is a double standard.

Amri Daniels, a member of the Uhuru Solidarity Movement, an activist group that says it is dedicated to the liberation of African people throughout the world, said at a meeting on Tuesday night that he had been talking with some of the city’s young people, and that “it’s not going well.”

These kids have weapons, and they’re fired up,” Mr. Daniels said. “They’re not interested in all this talk.”

Look how much coverage the HUTAREE group received, and this basically went uncovered.

Oscar grant's relative was on TV this morning and said if the jury finds the cop innocent or involuntary manslaughter, that "Oakland better get ready for some trouble".

If there are riots, I'd arrest her for inciting a riot.

/end_thread

winner = lybob

When the cop tells you to stop and put your hands where he can see them or behind your back so that he can cuff you, and you resist, don't get all pissy after he beats and/or shoots you. It's your own damn fault

+10000