Congrats to Ralph, Russ & Buddy...seriously

Here's s quote from Dwan Edwards in an article from his home town paper:

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a business decision," he said of joining the Bills. "From a business perspective it was the right place for me,...."

Keep in mind that Edwards visited with Seattle and Denver before choosing the Bills. I don't know too much about Edwards, but he obviously is the highest profile FA signing for the Bills this year, the first and biggest of the Buddy - Chan regime, that's for sure. For once, it was nice to hear that Wilson must have out-bid Denver and Seattle. Of course in recent years Wilson has stupidly overpaid for other FA's, most notably Dockery and Walker of the infamous 2006 FA class.

But in this case, Ralph was leaning on his new football guy Buddy Nix and new coach Chan Gailey before impressing Walker enough "business - wise" to choose his Bills. If we accept the facts that Nix was important to Butler (God rest his soul), and A.J. Smith during the rebuilding of the Chargers, then Dwan Edwards should be an excellent addition to Chan's defense, and I look forward to watching him play this season. :rolleyes:

Article Link:

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/football...1cc4c002e0.html

"I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a business decision," he said of joining the Bills. "From a business perspective it was the right place for me,...."

Keep in mind that Edwards visited with Seattle and Denver before choosing the Bills. I don't know too much about Edwards, but he obviously is the highest profile FA signing for the Bills this year, the first and biggest of the Buddy - Chan regime, that's for sure. For once, it was nice to hear that Wilson must have out-bid Denver and Seattle. Of course in recent years Wilson has stupidly overpaid for other FA's, most notably Dockery and Walker of the infamous 2006 FA class.

But in this case, Ralph was leaning on his new football guy Buddy Nix and new coach Chan Gailey before impressing Walker enough "business - wise" to choose his Bills. If we accept the facts that Nix was important to Butler (God rest his soul), and A.J. Smith during the rebuilding of the Chargers, then Dwan Edwards should be an excellent addition to Chan's defense, and I look forward to watching him play this season. :rolleyes:

Article Link:

Sure Ralph was leaning on Buddy & Chan, heck at 92 he leans on everything.

Article Link:

The more I think about it, the Nix run front office is definitely appearing to be "solid". Winning comes from above. One of the problems with the past 10 years is we didn't have a solid front office. Donahoe stunk and we've really had nothing since. Nix may truly be the key in turning around this franchise. The only problem is - if Nix really does turn around the franchise, we are going to need a long-term solution as he is already 70.

The more I think about it, the Nix run front office is definitely appearing to be "solid". Winning comes from above. One of the problems with the past 10 years is we didn't have a solid front office. Donahoe stunk and we've really had nothing since. Nix may truly be the key in turning around this franchise. The only problem is - if Nix really does turn around the franchise, we are going to need a long-term solution as he is already 70.

What about Whaley? He has to be in tune with this signing right?

Isnt there a positive in that?

Don't forget to give props to asst. GM Whaley, who apparently oversees Pro Scouting.

Linky

This article deserves it's own thread - I can't help but love what the new front office is building here in Buffalo. At least they have a freaking *plan* and are sticking to it. I'm not sure that can be said for the groups that were here for the past 10 years or so...

I agree with that statement and if all this positive we see, translates to the field, it won't be utopic to expect players to consider the Bills when they hit FA.

And about the problem with Nix age I believe Whaley shoud be the logical heir for the job.

Didn't Edwards fail physicals with Denver and Seattle? Maybe that's why.

Yes, he failed their physicals but passed ours... I guess that is why you should always get a second or third opinion before agreeing to anything medical.

I sure hope we bet right..... He seems like a high caliber player. :unsure:

I'm just saying it's kind of silly to say "Wilson outbid" anybody. This guy fell into Buffalo's lap off the top of two other teams' scrap heap. Don't get me wrong, I hope he's awesome, although he's always been considered a bit of an underachiever.

What about Whaley? He has to be in tune with this signing right?

Isnt there a positive in that?

:worthy:This shows that finally the Bills have a well thought out plan.

#1 - Buddy Nix is clearly a solid personnel guy who stands on his own two feet and is not about talk radio nor the opinions of this board he knows where he is taking this team and that is in the direction of winning!

#2 - The Coach - So, we didn't get Cowher but I don't see any downside to Gailey (yet). He is all about winning and accountability (physical and mental). This team will not be about trying to hold a lead "to not lose."

#3 - Whaley is the plan for the future - he was a potential gm for lots of teams in the next year or two and we have him as Buddy's successor!

I like where we are and where we are going!

I agree with that statement and if all this positive we see, translates to the field, it won't be utopic to expect players to consider the Bills when they hit FA.

And about the problem with Nix age I believe Whaley shoud be the logical heir for the job.

Asst. GM Whaley embracing challenge with Bills

By Chris Brown, Lead Journalist

Posted 4 hours ago

It’s an undertaking that only those with enough self-confidence and belief in the people around them would accept. Beginning the process of pulling a Buffalo Bills franchise out of a decade long playoff drought might not seem all that appealing to some, but for Assistant GM and Director of Pro Personnel Doug Whaley it was a new challenge that was too enticing to pass up.

“It’s definitely a change,” Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “Change is sometimes uncomfortable, but sometimes necessary and I think it’s a good change. I’ve been in Pittsburgh a long time and this opportunity came up so I’m treating it as a challenge and new chapter in my life. It’s something where I can take what I’ve learned from my Pittsburgh roots and implement it here in Buffalo.”

more.......

Donahoe's problem is that he didn't stick with anything. He build a pretty good offense that needed some line help in his second year. Instead of building on what we had, he blew the offense up and brought in defensive players- then wasted a draft pick on Parrish.

He gave up on coaches too soon as well.

This article deserves it's own thread - I can't help but love what the new front office is building here in Buffalo. At least they have a freaking *plan* and are sticking to it. I'm not sure that can be said for the groups that were here for the past 10 years or so...

Amen