Will Maybin turn out to be the Bill biggest 1st. Rd. Bust?

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Mike Williams much?

Re: Maybin, I don't look too much into mini-camp. Maybe they were just trying to get Torbor extra reps to get up to speed with the terminology and scheme. We'll know much more about Maybin at the end of training camp. He seems to be built for the 3-4, so I'm willing to give him the year to learn and show progression.

As much as I question the drafting of a one year sack wonder, I doubt one year is enough to evaluate his career as a Bill.

The Maybin-Torbor situation reminds me of the other positions on the team, i.e. playing head games with the players to make them compete harder. We'll find out when the real season starts.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off at all the drama queens here if Maybin tears it up this year. Sure, he could be a bust, but plenty of players (especially known projects) have bad rookie years and go on to good careers.

Seriously, why is everybody so quick to completely write the guy off? There's only a handful of rookies each year that have big impacts and he wasn't one of them...big deal. Let's just wait and see what he brings this year.

The Maybin-Torbor situation reminds me of the other positions on the team, i.e. playing head games with the players to make them compete harder. We'll find out when the real season starts.

Head games has a negative connotation, as if the coaches are conjuring and being deceitful.

I would just call the addition of Reggie Torbor increasing the level of competition.

As far as biggest Bills draft busts, don't forget Tom Ruud, selected 19th overall. He lasted in the NFL for 5 years (3 with the Bills), appeared in 59 games but only started 3 games in his career.

Erik Flowers was chosen 26th overall. From Wiki:

"Selected in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. After an unimpressive rookie season, he earned the starting job in 2001, but was benched after 5 games, and was released during training camp the next year, being claimed off waivers by the Houston Texans. After being cut by the Texans on September 3, 2003, Flowers joined the St. Louis Rams three months later and played linebacker with them for the next two seasons. On July 22, 2005, he was signed by the Atlanta Falcons only to be released by them on August 31 of that year.

On March 6, 2006, Flowers signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League as defensive end. Unfortunately, Flowers suffered a back injury which prevented him from even reporting to the Argos' training camp which began in late May.[1]

Currently owns and operates a Marble Slab Creamery in Boerne Texas."

Five years in the NFL, 58 games played, 6 games started.

He did have 5 career sacks.

You obviously are unaware of the All-Time greatest 1st round bust: Walt Patulski.

Walt Patulski was drafted first overall (in 1972).

He, like Flowers and Ruud, only lasted 5 seasons in the NFL. According to what I could find, he played in 70 games. From Wiki:

"Patulski was drafted by the Buffalo Bills with the first overall pick of the 1972 NFL Draft. He was the last Notre Dame player to be drafted #1 overall. His size and speed were among the reasons he was highly touted: At 6'6" and 250 pounds, he could run the 40 in 4.9 seconds.

As a rookie, led the Bills in sacks with 5. In 1973 the Bills improved to a 9-5 record after going 4-9-1 in his rookie season of 1972. Patulski recorded 7 sacks, which was second on the team and was voted AP NFL Defensive Player of the Week November 28, 1973, after week eleven. In 1974, the Bills recorded another 9-5 record and made the playoffs for the first time in eight years as Patulski recorded 5-1/2 sacks. The Bills were 8-6 his third season, but did not advance to the AFC playoffs. He recorded only 4 sacks, a career low, however, 2 came in a game against the St. Louis Cardinals offensive line, who gave up only 8 sacks in 1975. Patulski lined up against St. Louis all-pro and Pro Football Hall of Fame offensive tackle Dan Dierdorf, and had a spectacular game. Patulski harassed Hart all day and was one of the reasons the Cards were held to just 54 yards on the ground.[8] He played 4 years (1972-75) with the Bills, and then he was traded to the Cardinals for a second-round draft pick. And played one year with the St. Louis Cardinals (1976). He suffered career-ending knee injury in 1976.

However, Patulski's career was considered unsuccessful. In fact, ESPN ranked him as the 27th biggest draft bust of all-time on April 18, 2008."

So Patulski was drafted higher than other Bills first round busts, but he certainly had a better career than Flowers or Ruud.

"Selected in the first round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Buffalo Bills. After an unimpressive rookie season, he earned the starting job in 2001, but was benched after 5 games, and was released during training camp the next year, being claimed off waivers by the Houston Texans. After being cut by the Texans on September 3, 2003, Flowers joined the St. Louis Rams three months later and played linebacker with them for the next two seasons. On July 22, 2005, he was signed by the Atlanta Falcons only to be released by them on August 31 of that year.

On March 6, 2006, Flowers signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League as defensive end. Unfortunately, Flowers suffered a back injury which prevented him from even reporting to the Argos' training camp which began in late May.[1]

5 more than Maybin.

I remember being at the opener against the Saints and I believe he had a sack on the first play of the season that game. For about a split second we all thought we'd gotten a steal. Of course, his career went down the drain from there.....

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

Really? #4 overall pick Mike Williams?

Perhaps Maybin was having difficulty playing in coverage and is better suited playing behind/in rotation with Kelsay or as a passing down rush linebacker only?

Really? #4 overall pick Mike Williams?

Bust? Absolutely... but he did make a significant contribution his first two seasons at RT. Maybin's contribution so far has been 18 tackles in 16 games... far less than Williams contribution.

I am on the record saying I dodn't like the pick but that is a moot point. He is on our roster and I hope he can be productive because last year he was the most unproductive disappointing player on the team. I always thought that top ten (11th pick i know) were supposed to be immediate impact players? (exception qb) Dead point too!

Let's give the guy a chance. Too early to run him outta town. He does look to be leaning towards being a bust though. I remember the so called experts saying he is a boom or bust. He is very young and who knows maybe he can turn into a solid player.