Brohm

Green Bay was not "hiding" Brohm anywhere or trying to "sneak" him on the practice squad. The only reason he was on the practice squad was because he cleared waivers after Green Bay threw him out there for free and had no takers. No matter how you Brohm fans spin it, the truth is Green Bay & the rest of the NFL thought he was garbage, otherwise someone would have claimed him. Second round picks cut their second year do not fly under the radar. I've seen plenty of excuses why Brohm was cut but the only real one is-Green Bay didn't give a rat's @ss if they lost him for nothing and nobody else cared enough to put in a waiver claim for him. Spin it any other way but that's the reality. If he "wins" the Bills job all it means is there is no NFL QB on this roster.

Personally, my guess is when the season is over, Fitzpatrick will have the most starts and we'll head into the offseason with the same QB situation we headed into this offseason-no quality starting QB on the roster. The only difference will be both Edwards' & Brohm's contracts will be up (if not sooner) and they'll be looking to bring in a legitimate NFL QB for 2011, even if he is a rookie.

Don'tcha love it when people hate the starter so much they manufacture stuff in their heads...some of these previous posts get me.

Whomever starts or finishes this year at QB, no QB on the roster will do a good enough to get the Bills a winning season simply because they won't have enough support around them to help them win. So far this new Bills head coach has shown me he isn't any better then Jauron in terms of the O line.

If this guy is so good as a offensive mind... then how can he go into the season knowing his offense will be limited to mostly 3 step drop passing plays. Every time the Bills need to throw deep in a critical situation they will fail just like last season simply because the QB's won't have more then 3 seconds to throw. No team can run an effective offense without the threat of a big play from the deep passing game.

Last year Jauron the moron brought in TO to have an effective second deep threat along with Lee Evans. Then he destroyed the ability to throw deep after he trades away Jason Peters and cuts Walker-Dockery and ends up with scrubs at both tackle positions.

So basically when this years team gets behind in a game and the opposing defense knows the Bills will need to throw to win... and they have no deep game, what then?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix retired/resigned from the Chargers in April of 2008. The Bills hired him in January of 2009.

So then, why did Green Bay match the Bills' offer, if he was "garbage?" They had the great Matt Flynn as backup QB.

Because they spent a #2 draft pick on the guy?

Why did they cut him then, and place him on the PS?

I guess we have no idea what happened in Green Bay then. Something happened they caused them to put their 2nd rounder on PS, but then something else happened when someone made an offer for him, they matched it to try to keep him.

So then, why did Green Bay match the Bills' offer, if he was "garbage?" They had the great Matt Flynn as backup QB.

That's easy. However some Brohm apologists , I'm not saying you since I don't follow who is the poster on most posts, are spinning like tops trying to defend the reasons why he ended up here. Some will use the match excuse as you did, but the simplest answer is that they were just trying to protect their insurance policy of a 3rd QB on the practice squad who actually knew the system for the rest of the 2009 season because bringing in someone new, which they ended up doing twice after Brohm came here because the 1st new guy signed with another team's 53, required teaching someone new the system, making that guy as worthless to GB as Brohm was to the 2009 Bills. (Funny, the Brohm apologists use Brohm was too new in the system as an excuse for the Atlanta debacle, but can't grasp why GB preferred their insurance QB to know their system).

I've often answered that question with the insurance premise & then asked -If they were so high on Brohm then why didn't they try to exceed the Bills offer. So far nobody has come up with a real answer to that one. The typical Brohm guy answer is "why would they exceed the offer if he was 3rd & would never start over Rodgers?" That answer backs my answer the Packers only were looking at Brohm's 2009 insurance value & nothing more.

The Brohm apologists have spun in different directions in the same threads. The best oxymoronic spin is the Packers didn't have the roster space to keep 3 QBs and that's the only reason Brohm was cut in September, but then they cite the "match offer". They claim the match offer is proof the Packers valued Brohm, yet this is the same team that valued him so much they were willing to get NOTHING in return when they waived him. Once again that logic only backs my insurance premise. Sure you can spin it that the spot opened up due to guys going on IR as the season progressed, but the bottom line is they did not do anything to protect their interests in Brohm until the Bills' offer-once again confirming the only interested in 2009 in season insurance premise.

Then there are the ones (like above) who will list all these UFAs & late picks who flew under the radar, got cut & either were picked up on waivers or spent time on a practice squad & then made it big. What they fail to understand is that 2nd round QBs are on everyone's radar & they don't fly under the radar like these UFAs & late round guys do. The chance of a guy who was already under the radar succeeding are much better that an early round bust, especially at the QB spot, who got waived already. Just look at how many shots the 1st round busts get-I can't remember any recent 1st round QB bust making it after his 1st team waived him, even though other teams have tried with guys like Leaf, Harrington, McNow, Couch, and of course our two poster boys that each cost us a 1st -Rob Johnson & JP Losman. Sometimes I think the Brohm guys are closet JP guys who have finally moved on to a new lost cause. (That is until we get the posts from the JP diehards claiming he'll now emerge as the man in Seattle)

Then there are the worse ones-the ones who don't even know that Brohm was waived, cleared waivers by all other 31 teams, then landed on the practice squad. They say things like "He was never waived, we got him off their practice squad". Those people who don't know how he got to the practice squad can't be reasoned with.

I've written off Brohm because history tells us that there are virtually no mistakes when a team lets a high picked QB leave with no compensation (unless he's a veteran salary cap dump, often on his 2nd or 3rd contract). There are plenty of late round mistakes because the guys are not scrutinized as closely, explaining the Warners, Bulgers, Hasselbecks, and Moores etc.

That's easy. However some Brohm apologists , I'm not saying you since I don't follow who is the poster on most posts, are spinning like tops trying to defend the reasons why he ended up here. Some will use the match excuse as you did, but the simplest answer is that they were just trying to protect their insurance policy of a 3rd QB on the practice squad who actually knew the system for the rest of the 2009 season because bringing in someone new, which they ended up doing twice after Brohm came here because the 1st new guy signed with another team's 53, required teaching someone new the system, making that guy as worthless to GB as Brohm was to the 2009 Bills. (Funny, the Brohm apologists use Brohm was too new in the system as an excuse for the Atlanta debacle, but can't grasp why GB preferred their insurance QB to know their system).

I've often answered that question with the insurance premise & then asked -If they were so high on Brohm then why didn't they try to exceed the Bills offer. So far nobody has come up with a real answer to that one. The typical Brohm guy answer is "why would they exceed the offer if he was 3rd & would never start over Rodgers?" That answer backs my answer the Packers only were looking at Brohm's 2009 insurance value & nothing more.

The Brohm apologists have spun in different directions in the same threads. The best oxymoronic spin is the Packers didn't have the roster space to keep 3 QBs and that's the only reason Brohm was cut in September, but then they cite the "match offer". They claim the match offer is proof the Packers valued Brohm, yet this is the same team that valued him so much they were willing to get NOTHING in return when they waived him. Once again that logic only backs my insurance premise. Sure you can spin it that the spot opened up due to guys going on IR as the season progressed, but the bottom line is they did not do anything to protect their interests in Brohm until the Bills' offer-once again confirming the only interested in 2009 in season insurance premise.

Then there are the ones (like above) who will list all these UFAs & late picks who flew under the radar, got cut & either were picked up on waivers or spent time on a practice squad & then made it big. What they fail to understand is that 2nd round QBs are on everyone's radar & they don't fly under the radar like these UFAs & late round guys do. The chance of a guy who was already under the radar succeeding are much better that an early round bust, especially at the QB spot, who got waived already. Just look at how many shots the 1st round busts get-I can't remember any recent 1st round QB bust making it after his 1st team waived him, even though other teams have tried with guys like Leaf, Harrington, McNow, Couch, and of course our two poster boys that each cost us a 1st -Rob Johnson & JP Losman. Sometimes I think the Brohm guys are closet JP guys who have finally moved on to a new lost cause. (That is until we get the posts from the JP diehards claiming he'll now emerge as the man in Seattle)

Then there are the worse ones-the ones who don't even know that Brohm was waived, cleared waivers by all other 31 teams, then landed on the practice squad. They say things like "He was never waived, we got him off their practice squad". Those people who don't know how he got to the practice squad can't be reasoned with.

I've written off Brohm because history tells us that there are virtually no mistakes when a team lets a high picked QB leave with no compensation (unless he's a veteran salary cap dump, often on his 2nd or 3rd contract). There are plenty of late round mistakes because the guys are not scrutinized as closely, explaining the Warners, Bulgers, Hasselbecks, and Moores etc.

The only reason the "write off Brohm" is if you're a Trent apologist who doesn't like the fact that more and more people are in support of Brohm starting, and who can't see that Trent has not only proven to not be a good QB, but to be injury prone on top of that. If you want to go by "history," Trent has never had a winning season, either in college or the pros, and has never stayed healthy for an entire season.

How about Trent Dilfer, he was cut by two teams before winning a Superbowl with Baltimore Ravens. I think he was a first round bust with Tampa Bay. And Doug Williams with the Redskins. I know Williams was in the 90's ,but that was two I could think off.

The only reason the "write off Brohm" is if you're a Trent apologist who doesn't like the fact that more and more people are in support of Brohm starting, and who can't see that Trent has not only proven to not be a good QB, but to be injury prone on top of that. If you want to go by "history," Trent has never had a winning season, either in college or the pros, and has never stayed healthy for an entire season.

Wow, you've taken spinning to a whole new level. You call me a Trent apologist after I responded to your response to a post where I concluded that FITZPATRICK would end up getting the most starts. How can you spin Fitzpatrick will get the most starts into being a Trent apologist. I gave up on Trent as too injury prone after he came in for one series and a la Rob Johnson, got a season ending injury. So, stop trying to spin anyone who sees through this Brohm charade into a Trent Edwards apologist. As I've stated, the Brohm apologists contradict every thought as their posts increase.

How about Trent Dilfer, he was cut by two teams before winning a Superbowl with Baltimore Ravens. I think he was a first round bust with Tampa Bay. And Doug Williams with the Redskins. I know Williams was in the 90's ,but that was two I could think off.

Please, if you're going to try to make a case, know what you're talking about. Here are the facts:

Trent Dilfer was not cut by two teams before winning a Super Bowl. He was not a 1st round bust with Tampa Bay. He played in Tampa Bay for 6 seasons & was granted free agency rather than be paid a $4.6 million bonus in his 2nd contract with the team-I did state that 1st rounders on subsequent contracts are released, a common practice when their cap $ get too high. Do you know that Trent Dilfer is the winningest QB in Tampa Bay Bucs history? Do you know that Dilfer started every game for 4 straight seasons before going down with a injury in his 6th year with Tampa? That is not the definition of a 1st round bust. Busts don't start 4 straight seasons & make it to the Pro Bowl like Dilfer did with Tampa.

Doug Williams was no bust either. Williams played 5 seasons with (ironically) Tampa Bay. He felt he was seriously underpaid after he was a major contributor in turning around the team from NFL laughingstock to a playoff contender who once made it all the way to the NFC championship game. So what did Doug Williams do? He JUMPED to the USFL. Upon the USFL's folding, he was not shown the interest comensurate to his abilities, and signed with Washington as a backup until he ended up the starter & Super Bowl winner a season later.

So, to sum things up, when we review the facts, you can't think of any real busts who rebounded.

Gailey was on the grassy knoll all along. I knew it. :beer:

This makes alot of sense and it's hard to believe that with all the 'sources from deep within the organization' that post on TBD, nobody ever thought of this theory. ---Don't call yourself goat just yet. Trent may in fact be the day 1 starter and Bohm will be waiting in the shadows for Trent to take an inevidible injury and then he'll step in, finish out the season and we release Trent at the end of the year. ---Brohm starting with Levi Brown continuing to be groomed for the future. I like it. :beer:

Power to the people.

So have I, as I watched him play against Atlanta...

I'll be surprised if he makes the team. But then, what the heck do I know :beer:

Based on his competition, Brohm could end up the starter & I wouldn't be shocked. All it would say is that our QB tandem is the worst in the league, which is hardly shocking.

Says quite a bit right there.

Kurt Warner received an NFL tryout in 1994, with, ironically enough, the Green Bay Packers. He failed to make the final roster; and did not manage to get into the NFL until 1998.

The odds of Brohm being another Warner are very slim. But not nonexistent. As Albany pointed out, quarterbacks taken in the first two rounds of the draft tend to get more attention and more opportunities than undrafted players such as Warner.

However, there is reason to believe that Brohm may have received fewer opportunities, and less attention, in Green Bay, than would normally have been allocated to an early second round draft pick. First and most obvious is the fact that the Packers waived him early into his second year in the league; which basically meant he had one year and one preseason to prove himself before they got rid of him. That's not a lot of time to adjust to the NFL, at a position normally associated with a significant adjustment time. Second, and perhaps more importantly, is the fact that the Packers drafted Brohm because they had serious doubts about whether Aaron Rodgers could be the guy. Rodgers quickly erased those doubts, and the Packers evidently felt very comfortable with Flynn as a backup. Given that the Packers now felt very comfortable with both their starting and backup QBs, there was no longer the same need or same incentive to continue giving opportunities to a guy who, apparently, had proved little during his brief time in the NFL.

I've heard some experts say that if Brohm had come out after his junior year, he would have likely been a top 10 draft pick. One would have expected that one of the teams which had been considering using an early pick on him would have claimed him off waivers from Green Bay. None of those teams did. Presumably, that was because of poor play on Brohm's part during the preseason, as well as the attitude that, "If Green Bay doesn't want him, why would we?" It is also possible that many of the teams which had done the most pre-draft research on Brohm had subsequently filled their respective holes at QB with other players.

On the surface, Brohm's college career would seem to indicate strong potential for him. On the other hand, I've seen Starry Messenger post that Brohm's college offense only required him to make one read; which would indicate a very serious question mark about whether he could transition to an NFL level. Assuming Starry Messenger's read of the situation is correct, it would probably have made sense for most NFL teams to have written Brohm off after Green Bay waived him. On the other hand, just because Brohm wasn't asked to make multiple reads at the college level, does not necessarily mean he can't do it at the NFL level. (Though learning to do so would presumably require an adjustment period.) At present, the odds would seem to be significantly stacked against Brohm learning how to process visual information as quickly and completely as an NFL QB should be able to. But there's still a chance he'll be able to learn to do so; and the Bills lose nothing by giving him that chance. It's not as though the Bills roster is bursting with starting-caliber NFL QBs.

Gailey was on the grassy knoll all along. I knew it. :devil:

This makes alot of sense and it's hard to believe that with all the 'sources from deep within the organization' that post on TBD, nobody ever thought of this theory. ---Don't call yourself goat just yet. Trent may in fact be the day 1 starter and Bohm will be waiting in the shadows for Trent to take an inevidible injury and then he'll step in, finish out the season and we release Trent at the end of the year. ---Brohm starting with Levi Brown continuing to be groomed for the future. I like it. ;)

I do buy into the Theory that Nix was brought in to be the GM, but they had to get his feet wet here first.

I have the same thought with Wailey from Pittsburgh. He is the next GM in Waiting. How long is Buddy gonna be here anyway?

Trent may start the season but do you think he will last past the Fins,Jets, Pats and Green Bay??? Oh hell naw...

Brohm will play out the season after that, watch out now...This way he will have almost a full year with Evans, Johnson, Easley, Parrish and Spiller . And Marshawn+ Fred in the backfield.

I cant wait to see it...its a young line and they are building for the future.

I hope Brohm wins it outright because I am tired of watching Trent to be honest.

Based on his competition, Brohm could end up the starter & I wouldn't be shocked. All it would say is that our QB tandem is the worst in the league, which is hardly shocking.

Edwards when properly protected and given a decent game plan has shown to be remarkably effective and heads above the rest, the problem is the new regime didn't fix the line, so even if he wins the starting job...he loses.

I do buy into the Theory that Nix was brought in to be the GM, but they had to get his feet wet here first.

I have the same thought with Wailey from Pittsburgh. He is the next GM in Waiting. How long is Buddy gonna be here anyway?

Trent may start the season but do you think he will last past the Fins,Jets, Pats and Green Bay??? Oh hell naw...

Brohm will play out the season after that, watch out now...This way he will have almost a full year with Evans, Johnson, Easley, Parrish and Spiller . And Marshawn+ Fred in the backfield.

I cant wait to see it...its a young line and they are building for the future.

I hope Brohm wins it outright because I am tired of watching Trent to be honest.

I totally agree. However, I don't suspect any sooner than 2-3 years from now.

From what I've read, Wailey has the pedigee to be GM and the youth to hang around for te next 15 years. ;)

Edwards when properly protected and given a decent game plan has shown to be remarkably effective and heads above the rest, the problem is the new regime didn't fix the line, so even if he wins the starting job...he loses.

Trent was remarkably effective? When? He has never been that, even in our 4-0 start he had average to below average games and they were against literally some of the worst teams and defenses in the NFL. He hasnt had a winning season at any point since high school, has thrown just once for 300 yards since high school (and it was in his 2nd to last year at Stanford), etc etc...so I just want to know what he has ever done where you could actually use the word remarkable with a straight face...

Then again, you are also the same guy who argues that Joe Montana wasnt that good while admitting to barely seeing him play during his career.

Wow, you've taken spinning to a whole new level. You call me a Trent apologist after I responded to your response to a post where I concluded that FITZPATRICK would end up getting the most starts. How can you spin Fitzpatrick will get the most starts into being a Trent apologist. I gave up on Trent as too injury prone after he came in for one series and a la Rob Johnson, got a season ending injury. So, stop trying to spin anyone who sees through this Brohm charade into a Trent Edwards apologist. As I've stated, the Brohm apologists contradict every thought as their posts increase.

My mistake. I didn't realize there were actually Fitzpatrick apologists.