New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

By Windows.. do you mean Droid? My phone is acting up and I was looking to get a new one the other day. [Rant: I have to sign a 2 year contract to get a phone. But, 1.5 years in my phone craps out. Can I just get a new phone? NO. I have to pay $60 for the privilege of "breaking" my contract so I can buy a new phone AND get a new 2 year contract! Stupid!!] So at any rate, I looked at a new Droid phone. It took me about 2 or 3 minutes just to figure out how to dial a new phone call. It seemed entirely too clunky and piss poor. So, I put it down and walked out. Still using my old phone.

I'm guessing he meant these:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/buy/7/phones.aspx

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the capability and doing it in a way that anyone cares to use are different things. The iPhone and Android OSes are a pleasure to use. I'd rather cut my eyes out than use a brick-berry.

To each their own. I like having a physical keyboard, and everything works great for me.

The Blackberry Pearl sucked for anything other email/SMS, but the Bold 9700 is great IMHO.

I haven't had a chance to use any of the Android phones -- but if they had one with a physical keyboard, I'd consider it.

By Windows.. do you mean Droid? My phone is acting up and I was looking to get a new one the other day. [Rant: I have to sign a 2 year contract to get a phone. But, 1.5 years in my phone craps out. Can I just get a new phone? NO. I have to pay $60 for the privilege of "breaking" my contract so I can buy a new phone AND get a new 2 year contract! Stupid!!] So at any rate, I looked at a new Droid phone. It took me about 2 or 3 minutes just to figure out how to dial a new phone call. It seemed entirely too clunky and piss poor. So, I put it down and walked out. Still using my old phone.

What carrier are you on that is dicking around with contracts like that?

To each their own. I like having a physical keyboard, and everything works great for me.

The Blackberry Pearl sucked for anything other email/SMS, but the Bold 9700 is great IMHO.

I haven't had a chance to use any of the Android phones -- but if they had one with a physical keyboard, I'd consider it.

The droid has a physical keyboard. So does the 2nd generation droid (called Droid 2).

Both verizon phones.

Edited by JoeFerguson

There's a ton of Android phones with physical keyboards. And with Swype, you really don't need it.

Apparently they suffer from lack of marketing if you don't know that the Blackberry is a communication/Web/Entertainment system.

Ugh, the Blackberry platform has a *terrible* web browser and the "entertainment" options on it blows.

Is it really that hard to hit the "phone" icon and then dial?

I'm guessing he meant these:

http://www.microsoft...y/7/phones.aspx

What carrier are you on that is dicking around with contracts like that?

It's a small regional carrier... Cellular South. They actually have great coverage nationwide, which I very much need. I would argue their nationwide coverage is better than any of the nationwide carriers, based on the fact that friends and co-workers with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, whatever, routinely loose signal far more often than I do. But, they have the added advantage of great local coverage in many of the small, backwards towns I also have to visit in the AR/MS Delta. Try to get an ATT phone to work in Dumas, AR or Leland, MS... good luck.

I'd love to get a larger carrier and Verizon may be my best bet. But, I still feel Cellular South is by far the best nationwide/local carrier for me. I guess their plans just suck balls. I don't really know how verizon or att would handle a situation like I described above. I assume by your response... more favorably.

It's a small regional carrier... Cellular South. They actually have great coverage nationwide, which I very much need. I would argue their nationwide coverage is better than any of the nationwide carriers, based on the fact that friends and co-workers with Verizon, ATT, Sprint, whatever, routinely loose signal far more often than I do. But, they have the added advantage of great local coverage in many of the small, backwards towns I also have to visit in the AR/MS Delta. Try to get an ATT phone to work in Dumas, AR or Leland, MS... good luck.

I'd love to get a larger carrier and Verizon may be my best bet. But, I still feel Cellular South is by far the best nationwide/local carrier for me. I guess their plans just suck balls. I don't really know how verizon or att would handle a situation like I described above. I assume by your response... more favorably.

Cellular South uses Verizon for out of region national coverage. For the southeast region, they use their own cell towers.

Edited by BlueFire

Cellular South uses Verizon for out of region national coverage. For the southeast region, they use their own cell towers.

I always suspected they had a number of agreements with several larger carriers. Because I typically get better coverage in PA (for example) than my buddies that have Verizon. Maybe it was just my phone had a better antennae though... who knows.

I always suspected they had a number of agreements with several larger carriers. Because I typically get better coverage in PA (for example) than my buddies that have Verizon. Maybe it was just my phone had a better antennae though... who knows.

Yep, phones can make a huge difference in signal. A lot of the modern smart phones actually get worse signal than less-fancy phones.

Also, AT&T at least usually lets you upgrade your phone as long as you sign a new 2-year-contract ont hose types of situations. I just replaced one for $50 less than what they were selling it for an AT&T store with 1-year left on my contract just by calling them up and asking what they could do for me.

Edited by BlueFire

Yep, phones can make a huge difference in signal. A lot of the modern smart phones actually get worse signal than less-fancy phones.

Also, AT&T at least usually lets you upgrade your phone as long as you sign a new 2-year-contract ont hose types of situations. I just replaced one for $50 less than what they were selling it for an AT&T store with 1-year left on my contract just by calling them up and asking what they could do for me.

Absolutely agree. This phone (a Samsung Finesse) is a pseudo smart phone and my first foray into the fancy phone genre. Prior to that I had the cheap Nokia (friends convinced me to go fancy). The cheap Nokia got much, much better reception. But, no email, web, picture taking stuff. So, I guess its a trade off.

See that's what I was thinking. I really don't mind so much extending or getting a new contract. But, why charge $60 just because I'm getting a new phone? You'd think they'd want to encourage me to buy a new phone every couple of months.. not make me wait 2 years.

Incidentally to my story.. the problem appears to be that the touch screen/LCD is going out. So, the texting and other "soft" buttons work when ever they feel like it. So, I just bought a new LCD for $35 and will try my hand at replacing it. Figure it's worth a shot.

I agree about the physical keyboards. I have the Chocolate Touch phone which only has a touch keyboard. I just about threw it across the room today when I was trying to use an automated customer service call where you have to enter in your acct #, etc. The touch screen kept disappearing as I was trying to type in the #s. :wallbash:

I agree about the physical keyboards. I have the Chocolate Touch phone which only has a touch keyboard. I just about threw it across the room today when I was trying to use an automated customer service call where you have to enter in your acct #, etc. The touch screen kept disappearing as I was trying to type in the #s. :wallbash:

Other than the disappearing keyboard, how do you like that phone?

When looking the other day that's what I was leaning towards getting. Then I eyed the droid things, got frustrated, thought about the $60 fee and left.

Other than the disappearing keyboard, how do you like that phone?

When looking the other day that's what I was leaning towards getting. Then I eyed the droid things, got frustrated, thought about the $60 fee and left.

Eh, It's OK. As with most LG phones, the battery life isn't very good if you want to use all of the gadgets...video, photos, internet, etc. It's not a "smart" phone so it doesn't do all the fancy stuff that "smart" phones do. About the only positive thing about it is that the phone call quality is excellent! :lol: Oh, and the blue tooth thing works well. So, if you just want a basic phone for calling and texting this will would be great for that. :)

My bro has the droid and seems to like it so far.

Eh, It's OK. As with most LG phones, the battery life isn't very good if you want to use all of the gadgets...video, photos, internet, etc. It's not a "smart" phone so it doesn't do all the fancy stuff that "smart" phones do. About the only positive thing about it is that the phone call quality is excellent! :lol: Oh, and the blue tooth thing works well. So, if you just want a basic phone for calling and texting this will would be great for that. :)

My bro has the droid and seems to like it so far.

Thanks. That's actually what I need/want... a phone that has great call quality/reception first and foremost. I use my phone primarily for work and nothing sucks more than dropping calls in the middle of some "important" call. And then the texting crap. I still don't like that much, but everyone texts now it seems. So, I find myself texting more and more.

But all the web browsing and email and other fancy apps... I really have little desire to do on my phone. Maybe if I got a phone that did that well, I'd change my mind. But, I'm not at all convinced.

Incidentally to my story.. the problem appears to be that the touch screen/LCD is going out. So, the texting and other "soft" buttons work when ever they feel like it. So, I just bought a new LCD for $35 and will try my hand at replacing it. Figure it's worth a shot.

As long as you have the tools and an internet walkthrough, they usually aren't that hard to switch out. A buddy of mine did it on a blackberry of my coworker's once. I watched it - took him like 5 minutes.

As long as you have the tools and an internet walkthrough, they usually aren't that hard to switch out. A buddy of mine did it on a blackberry of my coworker's once. I watched it - took him like 5 minutes.

Cool. I've looked into several youtube vids with similar phones and it doesn't seem too difficult. Plus I figure what's the worst that can happen... I totally screw the phone and have to get a new one. So, I figure it's worth the $35 dollars and week's worth of waiting for the part. Either I get a new life out of the thing or I go get the LG phone Lana referenced.

Because they'd rather lock you up for another 2 yrs than risk losing you to VZ in 1 yr.

PS - the Captivate battery issue is really bad. Can't last 1 full day with normal usage (about 2.5 hrs of music listening). Insane.

I am a pro when it comes to getting cell phones. I got a blackberry curve with free car charger and case 2 years ago. I simply called out to price my plans. I was not sure I wanted to go with it, and they would ask me what my hold up was, and I told them the truth. I was not sure if I wanted to go with a Blackberry, the data plans are expensive. Plus, I could go to some of the other carriers and get unlim. everything. I still had 5 months to go at that time, too.

My contract is up in January and I am about to begin the process again. Just being nice, talking to them, letting them know your thoughts and than drawing a line in the sand goes a long way. I got the Blackberry for free when I said I just could not afford buying it, so they said they'd take $150 off and give me some extras. After the rebate and instant savings at the store I came away with a free phone.

I will do that again this time. The best advice, ALWAYS use the phone to make the these decisions. Cust Service reps have a lot more power than local in store people, even if at the real verizon stores. I never go to the private verizon locations. Always be nice, when you have a good rep ask to speak to their boss to commend them. They keep notes on customers attitudes and most people do not realize that. A verizon rep I talked to told me that they put up notes after each call on each customer and include how we treat them.

OK, I finally joined the smartphone world. (Well, I used to have a Palm Treo, but that doesn't really count, IMO.)

I picked up the Samsung Intercept from Virgin Mobile. No contract. My plan is $40/month. Unlimited text and data and 1200 anytime minutes. It's my business phone so that is more than enough talk time. With unlimited minutes the plan is $60/month.

The Good:

The slide out keyboard is fantastic. I really couldn't live without it.

Google Voice Search is shockingly good.

Great Wifi connectivity.

Call quality is pretty good. No dropped calls so far. (VM uses Sprint's network. My personal phone is AT&T, so that gives me pretty broad coverage between the two.)

The plan is hard to beat. I don't text much, but I use gmail all the time and browse the web a bit.

The Bad:

Touch screen has some delays from time to time. Pretty minor so far, actually. But can be annoying.

Battery life could be better when connected to Wifi or with Bluetooth activated. Not really too big an issue for me, as I really only use Wifi at home so I can recharge easily and rarely use bluetooth. Haven't needed to use the car charger yet...the phone has lasted the entire day. That's fine for me.

Touch screen is a finger print magnet.

It's a low-mid-range Android. I'm sure the camera isn't the best, but I don't really use it. No idea if it is a good music player as I don't use it for that.

The stock calendar kind of sucks for scheduling appts. (I guess it isn't horrible, but it should be much better, IMO.) I am on the lookout for a better Android app. Please feel free to recommend.

The Ugly:

Since there is no contract, you pay for the phone. $249.99 at Target. Was surprised when they gave me a $20 prepaid Target gift card...so that was nice.

I changed from AT&T Go Phone because the plan was bad, the phone sucked and the signal in my house wasn't good. Well, Sprint's signal at my house is even worse. Fortunately I have a fairly cool work-around using Google Voice. But Virgin Mobile doesn't support conditional forwarding or allow me to use Google Voicemail. So there are a few little glitches to work out.

Can't transfer the contacts from my old AT&T Go Phone sim card to my computer. Looks like I will be hand transferring my phone book this weekend.

Anyway...

I am now using Dolphin HD as my browser. Is there anything better right now? And, as I mentioned, I need a good scheduling/calendar app.

I am still getting to know the phone and probably have barely dented what it can do. I am learning better and faster ways to do things all the time and hopefully that will continue for the foreseeable future.