Q about tailgating and tickets

My name is Steve and Ive been watching the bills for years now but have only attended a few games with family and some friends in the past. I am now going to be attending the University at Buffalo this upcoming year and plan on going to most if not all of the games this season because even though the team has sucked recently, I am still excited to be going just for the tailgating alone. My question comes with this: I dont have much money personally since I am a college kid and want to know how easy it is the scalp tickets before game time when you are tailgating? can you get cheaper tickets or are most of them a ripoff and really far crappy seats? I only say this because I want to attend but am pretty broke...

GO BUFFALOOO

You'll have no trouble finding scalpers with a whole range of seat quality. As far as price goes, RWS is pretty much the same as any other venue: the closer to gametime, the cheaper the seats will be. Luckily, the Bills have some of the lowest ticket prices in the NFL, and as long as you wait around long enough, you'll get seats close to face $$$.

My name is Steve and Ive been watching the bills for years now but have only attended a few games with family and some friends in the past. I am now going to be attending the University at Buffalo this upcoming year and plan on going to most if not all of the games this season because even though the team has sucked recently, I am still excited to be going just for the tailgating alone. My question comes with this: I dont have much money personally since I am a college kid and want to know how easy it is the scalp tickets before game time when you are tailgating? can you get cheaper tickets or are most of them a ripoff and really far crappy seats? I only say this because I want to attend but am pretty broke...

GO BUFFALOOO

Honestly, I'd keep an eye on stubhub. I'm not terribly picky about where I sit, but I see tickets on there for well below face value for Bills games all the time. I had front row, tunnel side for preseason games for $9. For regular season, I see stuff in the $20 range pretty often, especially as the season goes on and people start getting disgruntled (or just don't want to go to the foul weather games).

There are always people looking to sell tick's at the games. When I scalp, and I do a lot, I look for individuals and not the professional scalpers. I've always found deals right before the game. If your going to sit by yourself, you can ALWAYS find someone who's selling a single.

Step one:

Tailgate your butt off but keep an ear out for deals around your tailgate area. Maybe someone didn't show up in the party next to you.

Step two:

Early in the tailgate process, get a nice buzz, grab 2 beers and go for a walk. Find the professional scalpers and ask what they got. This establishes the "high" mark. Look at the scalper with a "You gotta be kidding me" look and walk away. Makes your feel good.

Step three:

Continue your walk and look for the individual. I will go one time (from Hammers lot to the ECC walkway across from the stadium) across the street to the front of the stadium to look, and ask prices. (Make sure you swig your beer while crossing the street while looking at the cops-makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside)

Step four:

Unless you've found your ticket there, you need to go back the tailgate, drink some more (still keeping your ears open). The high price has been established and you can regroup your thoughts and enjoy some food and drink. At this point tell yourself "I WILL NOT PAY FACE VALUE FOR TICKETS, I WILL NOT PAY FACE VALUE FOR TICKETS"

Step five:

Its a 3 beer walk from Hammers to the stadium (really its across the street but you get my idea) when the games gonna start. Keep looking for the individual. Offer the Professional a low ball price and let them give you that look (again, warm and fuzzy) YOU WILL, find people in "panic" mode looking to dump tickets because they just want to get inside (THATS YOUR GUY) Offer $20 and say "at least you'll get beer money". Throw in your a college student and play on their emotions. Sometimes, for example, If $40 would be my high offer, I'd have a 20 and 2 10's. Keep a 10 in the other pocket and pull out $30. Show them your pockets empty and say all's I have is $30.

If you really want a smokin' deal, you've got to have some balls and can wait until kick off and get one for $15-$20. However, if that fails, you can always go down the street to the big tree and watch it there. You'll have beer money!

Good luck. There are always deals, you've just got to make it happen. I love scalping and love the game to get great tickets. One more piece of advice. BRING A SEATING CHART. Rip it out of a phone book if you must but bring it with you. I have bought the ticket master tickets from people before (its a computer printout) Use your judgment if you can "trust" the person who's trying to sell that.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Step one:

Tailgate your butt off but keep an ear out....

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

tommycat.... all in steps and complete with caveats, warm fulliez and encouragement ?? yowza !

:unsure:

u ROCK !

i almost wanna go try it.. an' i don't even live in the area anymore LOL.

~AS

There are always people looking to sell tick's at the games. When I scalp, and I do a lot, I look for individuals and not the professional scalpers. I've always found deals right before the game. If your going to sit by yourself, you can ALWAYS find someone who's selling a single.

Step one:

Tailgate your butt off but keep an ear out for deals around your tailgate area. Maybe someone didn't show up in the party next to you.

Step two:

Early in the tailgate process, get a nice buzz, grab 2 beers and go for a walk. Find the professional scalpers and ask what they got. This establishes the "high" mark. Look at the scalper with a "You gotta be kidding me" look and walk away. Makes your feel good.

Step three:

Continue your walk and look for the individual. I will go one time (from Hammers lot to the ECC walkway across from the stadium) across the street to the front of the stadium to look, and ask prices. (Make sure you swig your beer while crossing the street while looking at the cops-makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside)

Step four:

Unless you've found your ticket there, you need to go back the tailgate, drink some more (still keeping your ears open). The high price has been established and you can regroup your thoughts and enjoy some food and drink. At this point tell yourself "I WILL NOT PAY FACE VALUE FOR TICKETS, I WILL NOT PAY FACE VALUE FOR TICKETS"

Step five:

Its a 3 beer walk from Hammers to the stadium (really its across the street but you get my idea) when the games gonna start. Keep looking for the individual. Offer the Professional a low ball price and let them give you that look (again, warm and fuzzy) YOU WILL, find people in "panic" mode looking to dump tickets because they just want to get inside (THATS YOUR GUY) Offer $20 and say "at least you'll get beer money". Throw in your a college student and play on their emotions. Sometimes, for example, If $40 would be my high offer, I'd have a 20 and 2 10's. Keep a 10 in the other pocket and pull out $30. Show them your pockets empty and say all's I have is $30.

If you really want a smokin' deal, you've got to have some balls and can wait until kick off and get one for $15-$20. However, if that fails, you can always go down the street to the big tree and watch it there. You'll have beer money!

Good luck. There are always deals, you've just got to make it happen. I love scalping and love the game to get great tickets. One more piece of advice. BRING A SEATING CHART. Rip it out of a phone book if you must but bring it with you. I have bought the ticket master tickets from people before (its a computer printout) Use your judgment if you can "trust" the person who's trying to sell that.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Nice beginners guide to scalping. You sire, are a master and a scholar!

Right now expectations are low for this team but trust me, if they look good in the opener it will be a mad rush for tickets and prices will climb quickly. If they continue to suck then people will be using tickets to fire their grills with.

It sounds like you are not aware that the University at Buffalo has a D1 football program and tailgating is a regular part of game days. You have 6 tailgate opportunities right on campus. Here's the schedule. I happen to hold 4 season tickets for the UB Bulls as well as the Bills, but I'm pretty sure students get in free. You might want to consider joining "True Blue", the UB sports boosters group. They look like a fun bunch.

PTR

Step three:

Check out the bus lot also while you're across the street at Hammers and the ECC walkway. Most of the time there will be several bus groups where one or two people didn't make it, so the group leader will want to dump their tickets quickly rather than hold onto them.

Offer $20 and say "at least you'll get beer money". Throw in your a college student and play on their emotions. Sometimes, for example, If $40 would be my high offer, I'd have a 20 and 2 10's. Keep a 10 in the other pocket and pull out $30. Show them your pockets empty and say all's I have is $30.

GREAT post Tomcat, but i especially wanted to highlight this part. THIS is the key to all haggling that everyone should know. Keep the haggling money separate and only pull out the amount you are trying to spend. Don't haggle someone down to $10 and then pull out a $20 and ask for change. Keep a $10 (or whatever amount you want to spend) by itself in a separate pocket, and then only pull that out.

I tried to go the scalping route a few years ago and found if I was planning on going to all or most of the games it was cheaper and more reliable just to get season's in the rock pile or upper deck. You'll end up spending the $30-35 per game and dont have to miss kickoff or spend 2 hours finding tickets-missing valuable tailgate time.

I tried to go the scalping route a few years ago and found if I was planning on going to all or most of the games it was cheaper and more reliable just to get season's in the rock pile or upper deck. You'll end up spending the $30-35 per game and dont have to miss kickoff or spend 2 hours finding tickets-missing valuable tailgate time.

even when i can afford better tix, i dont know if i would want to leave the rockpile. ive sat in the club seats a few times but it's a little too docile there. maybe when i'm older i won't care anymore, but for now i want to get sh*tfaced and scream the entire game (and hardly remember it :lol: ).

even when i can afford better tix, i dont know if i would want to leave the rockpile. ive sat in the club seats a few times but it's a little too docile there. maybe when i'm older i won't care anymore, but for now i want to get sh*tfaced and scream the entire game (and hardly remember it :lol: ).

Don't have to sit in the rockpile for that. You described the majority of the stadium any given gameday ... the glaring exception being what you mentioned, the club seats.

Check out the bus lot also while you're across the street at Hammers and the ECC walkway. Most of the time there will be several bus groups where one or two people didn't make it, so the group leader will want to dump their tickets quickly rather than hold onto them.

Jack's spot on here. I always go to the bus lot first; there's always a couple of guys who miss the bus because the alarm didn't go off, or they're too hung over from the Saturday night before. Picked up pairs for as low as $5 in the bus lot, just as Jack sez, the group leader just wants to unload them in a hurry.

Step one:

Step two:

Step three:

Step four:

Step five:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

this reads like a good tom clancy novel. a little misdirection, a little Moroccan flea market with the money in two separate pockets, a little international intrigue (i'm assuming at least some of the people you're quizzing for tickets must be Canadian), and anarchy and panic in the streets as the clock ticks down to armageddon.

i also liked the "Its a 3 beer walk from Hammers to the stadium".

good stuff.

Now I am excited for tailgating again, waiting in line at 7:50, kegs and eggs, beerball (the game not the poster), hot dogs, funneling, Pinto Ron, shotgunning, walks to the woods :lol: , checking out the other lots and possibly remembering a football game.