Favorite fruit

I err on the side of precaution - I take one of the ACE I generics for mild hypertension. I'm aware of the metabolic problems with statins.

An excellent resource is The Pill Book:

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display...n=9780553593402

There is a lot to be said for the statin compounds, but they have their own set of problems, and reducing lipid intake as the first thing goes a long way.

I've noticed a flurry of ads on tv recently for the fenofibrates to reduce triglycerides - TriCor, and another brand name. Read up on them, and approach any prescribing of them with *strong* skepticism. Generic Omega-3 supplements do a bang-up job of knocking down triglyceride levels - but use them cautiously - they can raise blood glucose levels and have a propensity to cause bleeding. If you have a diabetic condition, or a subtle blood disorder that shows excess protein fragments, go slow there.

"I hope I die before I get old"

- The Who

:thumbsup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I err on the side of precaution - I take one of the ACE I generics for mild hypertension. I'm aware of the metabolic problems with statins.

There is a lot to be said for the statin compounds, but they have their own set of problems, and reducing lipid intake as the first thing goes a long way.

I've noticed a flurry of ads on tv recently for the fenofibrates to reduce triglycerides - TriCor, and another brand name. Read up on them, and approach any prescribing of them with *strong* skepticism. Generic Omega-3 supplements do a bang-up job of knocking down triglyceride levels - but use them cautiously - they can raise blood glucose levels and have a propensity to cause bleeding. If you have a diabetic condition, or a subtle blood disorder that shows excess protein fragments, go slow there.

And here I figured you'd never give up that state-of-the-art "bleeding with leeches" treatment of your childhood...

And here I figured you'd never give up that state-of-the-art "bleeding with leeches" treatment of your childhood...

The leech and its' curative benefit for wounds is established.

I was never deeply wounded.

The usual treatment depending on the complaint was

a) a glass of ginger ale soda pop. Several - which was generous, considering it went for 25 cents per quart.

b) a slathering of Vicks Vap-o-Rub upon the chest.

c) increased consumption of root vegetables.

d) an egg.

f) saltine crackers.

g) colloidal oatmeal bath.

h) an enema.

The leech and its' curative benefit for wounds is established.

I was never deeply wounded.

The usual treatment depending on the complaint was

a) a glass of ginger ale soda pop. Several - which was generous, considering it went for 25 cents per quart.

b) a slathering of Vicks Vap-o-Rub upon the chest.

c) increased consumption of root vegetables.

d) an egg.

f) saltine crackers.

g) colloidal oatmeal bath.

h) an enema.

H

Matty, funny you mention pears as the character in your profile has never tried one.

Pineapples have the worst texture. A nice ripe Bosc pear is nearly unbeatable.

Only if you eat the husks.

Got whole fresh pineapples the last few times we cooked a ham. Don't know how I'm ever going to eat the canned Dole anymore....

Taking a nutrition, then a botany class in close conjunction was really cool. Developed a whole appreciation for fruits and veg that I had never had before. In the time since, working with and eating them has taken a new tack. Cutting open tomatoes, sectioning an orange, and taking off from there, seeing the honeybee in such a different light....

I mean, I try hard not to sound too wonkish when explaining these things to my niece and nephew to try to get them to see beyond their video games, but how else do you describe the sclerids in a perfectly ripe pear or the hesperidium sacs in citrus? Nature is so beautiful.

And, yes gringo, that may have something to do with it with the mangos, but even so.... Cantalope has never been a favorite either. Just don't like the taste.

I love most fruit. I'm not a big fan of kiwi or mangoes, but I can eat them.

I like my peaches, plums and pears hard and bitter...like my women. Seriously, I don't like mushy fruit.

I despise canned fruit cocktail or most any canned fruit.

I like to keep bananas, strawberries, blueberries (or blackberries or raspberries, etc) to put on my cereal (or pancakes or french toast) in the morning. Nuts are a good addition, too.

Few things are more refreshing than fresh pineapple or watermelon. Both are good soaked in vodka.

Honeycrisp apples rule!

100% agree. They are the best tasting apples out there. I love most fruits but my favs are watermelon, nectarines, fresh pineapple, apples and grapes. Least favorite, mango. I think they taste like pitch. :thumbsup:

100% agree. They are the best tasting apples out there. I love most fruits but my favs are watermelon, nectarines, fresh pineapple, apples and grapes. Least favorite, mango. I think they taste like pitch. :thumbsup:

Another who doesn't like mango. It seems we are in the minority.

Few things are more refreshing than fresh pineapple or watermelon. Both are good soaked in vodka.

Yes. If you chop up a pineapple and let it soak with vodka, something really great will happen after about three or four weeks. You get a really delicious smooth-tasting pineapple martini.

You must set a hell of a attractive table. Are fenofibrates to be served with a red or white wine?

Amazed no one mentioned tomato's here except UConJames who apparently dissects rather then eats them.[yes they are a fruit]

Favs - first peach of the season, Winesap apples. When blueberries are in season I'll eat them like a bear getting ready for winter.

Cincy - My SIL, who is a master herbologist, has me taking something for my pre-hypertension. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head. I will try to remember and drop you a note over the weekend as to what it is.

Oh - if you suffer from gout - I take a tablespoon of black cherry juice per day. I've gone through it all - allopurinol, NSAIDS, diet restrictions and so on. For years. I have found that the recommendation of cherry juice to be an effective prophylactic, combined with a low purine diet.

I take these, twice a day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S95PSA

They help, but they aren't a cure-all.