Sad Day for Braves Fans

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Chipper Jones is set to retire after 17 years in the league.

Truly a sad day for any Braves fan. At least we get to finish out the season with him.

One of the greatest if not the greatest switch hitter of all time.

Edit: I should have said his generation.

He could make me feel better about his career if he helps the Braves take 2 from Tampa in the current series.

Odd how his only WS title came in his rookie season.. Fine career, class guy.

Now BEAT the Rays!

Go Yankees!

The Argument Mantle V Jones

Mantle -

18 Seasons

Games - 2401

Runs -1677

Hits - 2415

HR - 536

RBI - 1509

SB - 153

Avg - .298

OBP - .421

Jones

17 Seasons

Games - 2218

Runs - 1482

Hits - 2446

HR - 430

RBI -1468

SB - 145

AVG - .306

OBP - .406

In 1 less season than Mantle Jones has put up equal numbers to him. The idea is not that farfetched.

Wow, have I been hating "Larry" for that long?? He might be the all time worst Met killer; a great player.

Quick list. Would'ya think?

Mickey Mantle

Frankie Frisch

Chipper Jones

Eddie Murray

Carlos Beltran

Howard Johnson

Ken Caminiti

George Posada

Reggie Smith

Bernie Williams

Mantle is the only one I'd put above him, and Murray right about level. The rest all fall below IMO (can't really comment on the real old timers like Frish). Pretty impressive.

The Argument Mantle V Jones

Mantle -

18 Seasons

Games - 2401

Runs -1677

Hits - 2415

HR - 536

RBI - 1509

SB - 153

Avg - .298

OBP - .421

Jones

17 Seasons

Games - 2218

Runs - 1482

Hits - 2446

HR - 430

RBI -1468

SB - 145

AVG - .306

OBP - .406

In 1 less season than Mantle Jones has put up equal numbers to him. The idea is not that farfetched.

Ummmm...yeah, only 100 HR separate the two....

Look, I love Chipper and think he will be a HOFer, but he can't hold Mantle's jock, offensively or for that matter defensively.

Best switch hitters would go 1- Mantle, 2- Murray (a close second, he had 3200+ hits and 500 HR) , 3- Chipper...not a bad list.

Look, I love Chipper and think he will be a HOFer, but he can't hold Mantle's jock, offensively or for that matter defensively.

Agreed. And in general, ballpark dimensions have shrunk since Mantle's era, inflating modern stats.

Also, it's important to remember that Chipper played in the teeth of the steroids era and his name never came up once. Not once.

Another rarity is that Chipper was a true face of the franchise for the Braves who stayed with the team for his whole career, which is something you don't see very often in baseball anymore. Jeter, Mariano, and Posada for the Yankees. Biggio and Bagwell for the Astros. Chipper for the Braves.

one of my best baseball memories was from a Braves game 2 years ago. late in the game (7th inning?) the opposing pitcher beaned Chipper in the ankle. Chipper took a sec to try to walk it off, then decided he couldnt go and limped off the field...

the entire crowd which had only been paying half-attention to the game up to this point started booing the pitcher. we (the ENTIRE crowd) continued to rain booes down on this pitcher between every pitch for the rest of the game.

pitch after pitch, inning after inning, the booes came. it was just blatant, uneccessary booing. the kind that doesnt even effect the guy because its so ridiculous. we had a ton of fun yelling at him in unison.

Also, it's important to remember that Chipper played in the teeth of the steroids era and his name never came up once. Not once.

Another rarity is that Chipper was a true face of the franchise for the Braves who stayed with the team for his whole career, which is something you don't see very often in baseball anymore. Jeter, Mariano, and Posada for the Yankees. Biggio and Bagwell for the Astros. Chipper for the Braves.

Hopefully Pujols for the Cards too. Sorry, I'm a homer :devil:

Ummmm...yeah, only 100 HR separate the two....

Best switch hitters would go 1- Mantle, 2- Murray (a close second, he had 3200+ hits and 500 HR) , 3- Chipper...not a bad list.

I knew that stat would come up. After seriously thinking about it i put Chipper as second best all time only behind Mantle.

No offense to anyone, but only looking at at hitters HR stats does not tell how great of a hitter they actually were. Baseball created a monster where the only thing that matters now is how many HR's a guy finishes with, while the guys with over .300 BA get overlooked

Fitting that Cox and Chipper go out at the same time. The Braves were something of a dynasty to be honest...shame they only got 1 world series out of it.

Only team to ever win over 15 straight division titles!!! :devil:

Come visit the Reds' "Great American Ball Park." In its' brief existence, I believe it owns the HR season records.

Dont worry that soon will belong to the Yankees, and there super awesome "no one can afford a seat not in the nose bleeds" stadium

Wow, have I been hating "Larry" for that long?? He might be the all time worst Met killer; a great player.

Mantle is the only one I'd put above him, and Murray right about level. The rest all fall below IMO (can't really comment on the real old timers like Frish). Pretty impressive.

I'd like to see HoJo's numbers in comparison that guy was a hell of a player.

I knew that stat would come up. After seriously thinking about it i put Chipper as second best all time only behind Mantle.

No offense to anyone, but only looking at at hitters HR stats does not tell how great of a hitter they actually were. Baseball created a monster where the only thing that matters now is how many HR's a guy finishes with, while the guys with over .300 BA get overlooked

Actually, sabermetricians (professional baseball stat analysts) have almost completely abandoned batting average as well, in favor of stuff like OPS, OPS+, VORP and WAR.