Sad Day for Braves Fans

Actually, sabermetricians (professional baseball stat analysts) have almost completely abandoned batting average as well, in favor of stuff like OPS, OPS+, VORP and WAR.

That's not exactly true. In the sabermetrics world, batting average is far more relevant than the other traditional measures HR and RBI.

That's not exactly true. In the sabermetrics world, batting average is far more relevant than the other traditional measures HR and RBI.

More relevant than HR and RBI to be sure, but still becoming increasingly irrelevant. Even for the casual fan, it confuses me why they pay attention to Batting Average as their sole ratio-indicator when On-Base percentage is so readily available.

Me? I like OPS (on-base plus slugging) the best. It's simple enough for non-statistics oriented people to understand, but it effectively and efficiently displays who the best hitters are, by balancing plate discipline abilities and power.

I knew that stat would come up. After seriously thinking about it i put Chipper as second best all time only behind Mantle.

OK, so I assume you have a coherent argument why Chipper should be ahead of Murray. Lets hear it.

Mine for Murray over Chipper is that Murray has 3200+ hits and over 500 HR in 22 seasons. Yes, Murray did not have that one great year like Chipper (and I do tend to value peak years more than longevity), but Chipper's peak was not nearly good enough like Mantle's to overcome Murray's raw numbers and longevity.

When I first saw speculation of this go across the crawler, I thought "This is crazy. He just won the batting title two years ago. He's in a slump. He'll come out of it and it will be fine."

It reminds me of my guy, Mike Schmidt, who hit two HRs in his first two games in '89 at Wrigley. He retired 2 months later on Memorial Day because he said he when crushed a pitch, it wasn't making it to the warning track. When they go, they go fast.

Maybe he and Schobel can invest and star in a new version of He-Haw on Sunday nights.

Funny how the Braves have collected a bunch of has beens on offense who must have found a geinie lamp together in April, yet chipper goes down the crapper.

I can't believe that Chipper is retiring. Not in the sense that it's time, but to think about how fast the time has gone. I still remember when he first hit the scene and how fast he became one of our leaders. The guy is a class act and it's really going to be emotional saying goodbye to both him and Bobby in the same year. I'm just glad that this didn't turn into some sort of Smoltz/Glavine injury type of situation. I love the fact that Chipper has worn the same colors and been a Brave since the very beginning. :devil:

The Braves have already done a great job turning the season around in the early stages...I hope they make some noise and challenge for one more World Series trip, win or lose.

YOU DA MAN, CHIPPER!

OK, so I assume you have a coherent argument why Chipper should be ahead of Murray. Lets hear it.

Mine for Murray over Chipper is that Murray has 3200+ hits and over 500 HR in 22 seasons. Yes, Murray did not have that one great year like Chipper (and I do tend to value peak years more than longevity), but Chipper's peak was not nearly good enough like Mantle's to overcome Murray's raw numbers and longevity.

Yes Murray played for 21 seasons, which is an outstanding to play for that long. IM talking even season statistics throughout a career. Chippers 162 Game Average is statiscally better in almost every category. I am not discrediting Murray any bit he had a great career, and a longer one.(He retired when i was 16)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesch06.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/murraed02.shtml

• 1 month later...

Torn ACL making a great defensive play. Done for year, maybe career. Tough way to go.

IMHO, Hall of Famer. Probably go first ballot because he was a constant on those Braves teams that went to the post-season every year. Didn't really have the huge numbers (in the steroid era) except for that big '99 MVP year, but did it clean.

Only 6 All-Star games in 16 seasons? I would have guessed at least 10. :w00t:

Sorry to see you go Larry.

Guys younger than me are now "old". :bag:

Torn ACL making a great defensive play. Done for year, maybe career. Tough way to go.

IMHO, Hall of Famer. Probably go first ballot because he was a constant on those Braves teams that went to the post-season every year. Didn't really have the huge numbers (in the steroid era) except for that big '99 MVP year, but did it clean.

Only 6 All-Star games in 16 seasons? I would have guessed at least 10. B-)

Sorry to see you go Larry.

Guys younger than me are now "old". :ph34r:

This has got to be devastating for Braves fans. Sad thing is, they have a legit shot at the World Series this year, and Chipper won't be around for it.

This has got to be devastating for Braves fans. Sad thing is, they have a legit shot at the World Series this year, and Chipper won't be around for it.

It's a terrible feeling. Knowing that you are heading into the last month knowing you have a real good chance at taking the division. Now fears of the wild card are running crazily in Brave land.

People are even saying the braves will fall apart so bad that they may miss the playoffs, with all the injuries to Heyward, Mccan, McClouth, Glaus, Prado, and O'Flaherty.

Now this to Jones. Its a tough one to swallow. I just hope he does not end his carrer on this note. :thumbsup:

It's a terrible feeling. Knowing that you are heading into the last month knowing you have a real good chance at taking the division. Now fears of the wild card are running crazily in Brave land Philly.

People are even saying the braves Phillies will fall apart so bad that they may miss the playoffs, with all the injuries to Heyward, Mccan, McClouth, Glaus, Prado, and O'Flaherty. Rollins, Ruiz, Utley, Howard, Gload and Victorino.

Now this to Jones Moyer. Its a tough one to swallow. I just hope he does not end his career on this note. :thumbsup:

Everyone's got problems. :nana: