What Marshawn Missed

Ennjay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

Fred Jackson is a nice story, he came in with zero expectations, worked hard and had a nice year, HOWEVER, marshawn brings certain things to the field that fred doesnt have, its just that simple, both are good at what they do, but they do it in different ways. As im sure we all know fred is more elusive and shifty, but slower. Marshawn is more a one cut bulldog type, he has a bit more speed, but not the breakaway speed that spiller has. So why do we have to bash any of them to make a case. I am confident that Mr. Gailey will find ways to maximize the talents and potential from all 3 of these guys.

Cheer up, don't worry, it'll be alright

More quotes from the 3rd best RB on the team...

:rolleyes: Well is he the 3rd best or is Joique Bell?

Taking a look at the records that Bell set in college ... and his positive attitude that is not wrapped up in roughing up people ...

Bell finished his Wayne State career with 6,728 yards with 88 touchdowns along with 79 catches for 918 yards and eight touchdowns… totaled 8,055 all-purpose yards and 576 points placing him ninth and fifth in NCAA history in any division.

We are obvioulsy a better team with Lynch being in BEAST mode and running forward rather than from side to side but if Lynch maintains his attitude well then he just might be the #4 back.

But, he's in camp ... let's see what training camp brings us ... and maybe he'll be down at Pike's Market sooner rather than later.

TDs score points ..."How's that for quantitative!?!??!!?

<absurd>So how many points did Eric Wood score last year? Does that mean he has no value to the team, or less than whoever carries the ball over the goal line?

Why stop with TD? Points only matter if they help you win the game. How many games did Lynch win for us? ...and field goals also score points.

So according to the only stat that matters (OSTM), if a RB helps the team drive from their 2 yard line to the opponent's 2, and a different player scores a TD from there, then the other player is more important to the team. Brian Westbrook going down at the 1 yard line hurt his OSTM total and showed he was less valuable than if he racked up another TD?

</absurd>

Also, your defense of Lynch based on his opportunities to score (stats based on total carries) is weak. Over a season a players owns his number of opportunities. His number gets called based on what he's shown on the field and off ( suspensions). I do like normalizing the numbers to see if they (on average) perform differently in similar circumstances, but you're not doing that. The other poster (whenever that was) that posted the "and goal" stats showed the two were very close to each other as to how often they scored from outside the goal line.

Do us all a favor and stop the name calling. Calling people retards, idiots etc. isn't helping anything, it just makes this a less pleasant place to spend time. Don't chase off the posters that have good points to make.

The lines were different no doubt. Thrown out the window., uh..hell no. Both were not good although we did have a probowler in Peters for 2007 and 2008. I believe Peters WAS that good though many thought he was a waste of money. If you think Peters was lazy and a waste of money then the 2007 & 2008 line was even worse than the 2009 line. If you think, as I do, that Peters was and is a probowler the line was "slightly" better.

Huge difference? No. Any difference imo is offset by the facts below.

In 2009 Jackson had TO and Evans at WR so no more 9 in the box.

Lynch never played behind the starting O-line for week 1 as he was suspended the first 3 games. By the time Lynch got to play it was a bunch of misfits.

To me ....that makes it even and we can focus again on relative performance between Lynch and Jackson. Again, I can say they are both great but I know who I want to have the ball when we need points on the board :rolleyes:

I have been a Lynch supporter since he was drafted. Still wear my Lynch jersey out and about. I believe the team is better with him, but there are things that Fred does with the ball in his hands that Lynch does not. Fred has excellent vision. He sees the hole, makes one cut, and gets up field. Lynch either tries to string runs to the outside and gets run down or he just decides to plow into whomever is in front of him and take what he can get, usually 2 or 3 yards. Fred has better hands out of the backfield, just a fact. Fred seems to have more field awareness, things like yardage needed to pick up a first down and such. Lynch is younger and has the chance to be effective over a longer duration, barring serious injury of course. If Lynch would hit the hole and go versus dancing around, I would say he is the better back. You're arguement of touchdowns means nothing. Look at how many TD's Tim Hightower has scored the last two seasons (18). Do you think Hightower is a better back than Jackson or better than Lynch? Do you? Do you even think he's the best back on his team as he is behind Beanie Wells on the depth chart? Like I said, your TD arguement means nothing.

<absurd>So how many points did Eric Wood score last year? Does that mean he has no value to the team, or less than whoever carries the ball over the goal line?

News flash jack ass Wood is an o-lineman. He blocks for the guys that run for TDs. Glad I could clear that up for you.

Why stop with TD? Points only matter if they help you win the game. How many games did Lynch win for us? ...and field goals also score points.

Because individuals score points. Teams win games. Get it now?

So according to the only stat that matters (OSTM), if a RB helps the team drive from their 2 yard line to the opponent's 2, and a different player scores a TD from there, then the other player is more important to the team. Brian Westbrook going down at the 1 yard line hurt his OSTM total and showed he was less valuable than if he racked up another TD?

</absurd>

As already stated if you watched the games Buffalo did not have a work horse/goal line RB situation. Both had opportunities all over the field. Jackson does many things well. Lynch scores more TDs. End of story.

Also, your defense of Lynch based on his opportunities to score (stats based on total carries) is weak. Over a season a players owns his number of opportunities. His number gets called based on what he's shown on the field and off ( suspensions). I do like normalizing the numbers to see if they (on average) perform differently in similar circumstances, but you're not doing that. The other poster (whenever that was) that posted the "and goal" stats showed the two were very close to each other as to how often they scored from outside the goal line.

My defense of Lynch is based on how many times he scores not how many opportunities. Jackson was the starter. He had more opportunities!!!!! How would you like the stats normalized? TDs per carry? TDs per game? TDs per what? Get back to me when you get those numbers and you will see Lynch is the better scorer. There were no "and goal" stats that I saw. Jackson had plenty of opportunities. Hell...let's entertain your absurd idea. If Jackson is the better back... why take out your best back with "goal to go"? Sounds kind of dumb doesn't it?

Do us all a favor and stop the name calling. Calling people retards, idiots etc. isn't helping anything, it just makes this a less pleasant place to spend time. Don't chase off the posters that have good points to make.

Good point. I do get frustrated when people argue against the obvious truth. You and your camp should do us all a favor and accept the following:

Lynch is the better pure runner and scorer

Jackson gets better yards/carry and is a better WR

Jackson is the better man OFF the field

As soon as people admit the obvious there is no need for discussion at all and I don't have to call people on their BS. There appear to be two camps. Lynch haters who ignore the stats and actually attempt to down play points scored. IDIOTS. Sorry, there is that frustration again. And the other camp that likes all of our RBs and sees that they all have strengths and weaknesses and that they are ALL very valuable assets to the team.

That being said if Lynch screws up one more time off the field, "3 strikes" and I am pretty much done with him as a Bill.

I'm sorry to the haters, but I like Lynch and want him on the team. I love his attitude on the field.. he loves football, loves the contact, loves the game. Sure the guy has been a little immature.. I know I was when I was 24.. This guy has a long football career ahead of him and I hope it's in Buffalo. Last year he was all smiles and this year he seems like he wants to get to serious business. I hope we carry 4 RB's on the active.. Lynch, Jackson, Spiller and Bell.

Agreed. I like Lynch too. No one can ever question his effort on Sundays. The guy never goes down without a fight. Db's hate to have to tackle him.

I have been a Lynch supporter since he was drafted. Still wear my Lynch jersey out and about. I believe the team is better with him, but there are things that Fred does with the ball in his hands that Lynch does not. Fred has excellent vision. He sees the hole, makes one cut, and gets up field. Lynch either tries to string runs to the outside and gets run down or he just decides to plow into whomever is in front of him and take what he can get, usually 2 or 3 yards. Fred has better hands out of the backfield, just a fact. Fred seems to have more field awareness, things like yardage needed to pick up a first down and such. Lynch is younger and has the chance to be effective over a longer duration, barring serious injury of course. If Lynch would hit the hole and go versus dancing around, I would say he is the better back. You're arguement of touchdowns means nothing. Look at how many TD's Tim Hightower has scored the last two seasons (18). Do you think Hightower is a better back than Jackson or better than Lynch? Do you? Do you even think he's the best back on his team as he is behind Beanie Wells on the depth chart? Like I said, your TD arguement means nothing.

I agree with most everything you said INCLUDING your praise of Jackson. Where we differ again is the obvious value of TDs. If we went out and played the game for points for yards/carry, receptions etc then you have a case. Unfortunately in the real world TDs count.

On the Hightower flawed comparison. If Hightower put up those numbers for the Bills and WASN'T a goal line vulture I would say yes. Since neither of those criteria have been met to make the comparison at all relevant I can't say quantitatively whether he is or isn't. Beannie Wells does have some promise for the Cardinals. I would have to say though that if Hightower was healthy and more importantly stopped fumbling he would still be the starter to this day.

Info on Hightower http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpag...NFL&id=4901

He missed time with the team. You know, what some have been blasting Lynch for doing?

Ah yes. That only counts for people you hate though. LOL. I know it's human nature but some people really don't understand that their personal opinions cloud their factual judgment. I agree though if you want to hold it against one, you have to hold it against all.

Good point. I do get frustrated when people argue against the obvious truth. You and your camp should do us all a favor and accept the following:

Lynch is the better pure runner and scorer

Jackson gets better yards/carry and is a better WR

Jackson is the better man OFF the field

As soon as people admit the obvious there is no need for discussion at all and I don't have to call people on their BS. There appear to be two camps. Lynch haters who ignore the stats and actually attempt to down play points scored. IDIOTS. Sorry, there is that frustration again. And the other camp that likes all of our RBs and sees that they all have strengths and weaknesses and that they are ALL very valuable assets to the team.

That being said if Lynch screws up one more time off the field, "3 strikes" and I am pretty much done with him as a Bill.

This is not basketball or futbol my friend. There are no Durant's, Kobe's, Wade's, or Lebron's out there. There are no Messi's, Ronaldo's, or Ronaldino's. Lynch is not the better "scorer" and Lynch is not the better pure runner. That is the truth. Lynch's dancing around and indecisiveness with the ball in his hands is what has done him in, along with the pass dropping ability, and FJ has taken the starting role. FJ makes one cut, hits the hole, and gets what he can like I pointed out in my last post. Lynch's YPC would be better if he would hit the opening that's there. I can recall on numerous occasions the announcers questioning Lynch's running because he was missing some fairly large holes that could've resulted in big chunks of yardage time and time again, but instead he would dance around and end up with 2 or three yards where he should've had five or six.

Uh no.

I will slow down on the TD crusade when retards stop saying that Lynch is the 3rd best RB on this team. Get over the hate for what he has done off the field. It is blinding people to the reality on the field. NO!! The TD thing hasn't been debunked...pretty sure last time I checked....YEP....Lynch still scores more TDs than Freddie whether he is the starter or not. This is not a work horse/goal line RB situation either. Don't fool yourselves. If you can even entertain that thought you are a BS troll trying to get an argument and you apparently didn't watch any of the games last year.

Lynch is better than Freddie and better than Spiller who has yet to do anything in an NFL uniform. That being said I think by far Spiller COULD be the best of the 3.

Man I've watched every game for 30 years and can say with certainty that LYNCH IS THE FOURTH BEST RB ON THE FIELD.

I would take Freddie-Spiller-Bell before Lynch. Give him away for a used jock strap because we don't need that P.O.S.!

Man I've watched every game for 30 years and can say with certainty that LYNCH IS THE FOURTH BEST RB ON THE FIELD.

I would take Freddie-Spiller-Bell before Lynch. Give him away for a used jock strap because we don't need that P.O.S.!

Obviously you didn't learn anything about on field play in 30 years. Stop hating. To call a guy with his production a POS makes it SO obvious that dislike him for what he has done off the field.