How the Bills might fit in the NFL this year

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good pass defense is what we need if the NFL is indeed a "passing league."

Couple that with a mediocre offense and some of those close-shave losses we have seen in the past few years could turn into checks in the W column. (Denver home opener, NE season opener, Browns 6-3 loss, Dallas MNF, etc.)

I was hoping we were going to get him. Guess I am a moron too.

Mike Shanahan didn't want him.

The following teams needed or potentially needed a QB or addressed their QB situation during the 2010 off season: Bills, Browns, Jags, Broncos, Raiders, Minnesota, Panthers, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, and 49ers. Every team passed on Campbell except the Raiders, the Raiders, who gave a 4th round pick not in 2011 but 2012.

The Bills are batting a thousand on addressing their QB situation. The guys in the draft they could have drafted they didn't like, they went after the best QB available during the off season in Mcnabb, so instead of mortgaging the future on second best options, they decided to wait and address other areas. Which they did and did very well.

As Jamie Dikes put it "Jason Campbell would have been an instant up to our QB position."

Maybe you have never seen Jason Campbell play? He is the very definition of mediocrity and would not have been an upgrade. You can quote stats all you want, but jason Campbell will never have the decision m,aiong ability or leadershipm qualities necessary to be a good NFL QB. That does not mean any of the Bill's QBs will either, only that Campbell is no upgrade.

Maybe you have never seen Jason Campbell play? He is the very definition of mediocrity and would not have been an upgrade. You can quote stats all you want, but jason Campbell will never have the decision m,aiong ability or leadershipm qualities necessary to be a good NFL QB. That does not mean any of the Bill's QBs will either, only that Campbell is no upgrade.

He was a good QB on a bad team. If he came here, he would be a good QB on an embarrassing team. Campbell would have been an upgrade, there is no doubt about that.

Don't really know how I feel about Campbell. Haven't seen him play enough.

I will say that on the one hand his stats are pretty good for a guy who played on a mediocre team.

But on the other hand, there has been some testimonials by some posters here from the DC area and some articles which seem to point out that he's not a very good quarterback at all.

If he's not a clear cut, inarguable improvement...

-I actually hit the return button three or four times on that post - I just didn't skip a space on the paragraphs - which is what, apparantly, you have to do on this format to make it look like a new paragraph...

So, I wasn't so much supporting the idea of Campbell, so much as paraphrasing Dikes. My point was that this staff didn't address the O-line or QB situation, or, they did address it and most of us just don't realize what we have in Wang, Brown, and Green. I like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and think that they intend to try and win a SuperBowl this year. I don't know how you could coach in the NFL and not believe you can win it with what you have put together in the offseason. I think that was Jauron's biggest weakness - he didn't seem to think we could beat the good teams - and that washed over the whole team, and we even managed to find ways to lose against the good teams (Dallas and N.E. games come to mind). What it looks like is that Nix and Gailey are merely going to see what they have this year and make moves next year.

That, though, flies in the face of what I just wrote - expecting to be able to win every year. Maybe that is unreasonable. Personally, although I don't care for Rex Ryan's personality off the field, I think he has the ideal mentality for a coach - that is, we're going to win, and we're going to be tougher, harder, and want it more than anyone, and we're going to expect to win it all. Look what he did in one season. So, I'm just hoping that is what we have here, only less outspoken. I hope they do expect to win this year, only, since they didn't improve the QB and O-line much, they either have more than we think they do, see more than we do, and will surprise people with a more potent passing game than expected, or they'll find a way to win without a strong passing game. That was the point. Is our Blueprint for this season going to be win on the ground? Maybe they'll prove that it doesn't have to be a QB league after all.

That, though, flies in the face of what I just wrote - expecting to be able to win every year. Maybe that is unreasonable. Personally, although I don't care for Rex Ryan's personality off the field, I think he has the ideal mentality for a coach - that is, we're going to win, and we're going to be tougher, harder, and want it more than anyone, and we're going to expect to win it all. Look what he did in one season. So, I'm just hoping that is what we have here, only less outspoken. I hope they do expect to win this year, only, since they didn't improve the QB and O-line much, they either have more than we think they do, see more than we do, and will surprise people with a more potent passing game than expected, or they'll find a way to win without a strong passing game. That was the point. Is our Blueprint for this season going to be win on the ground? Maybe they'll prove that it doesn't have to be a QB league after all.

When you have difference makers, like Revis, that NT from Carolina as well as overall strong offensive and defensive lines, you can expect to win. The Bills have had the worst offensive and defensive lines I have ever seen and no difference makers.

Jauron was expected to make lemonade out of lemons, and in the NFL, you can't do that. Put Jauron in NY and he would have done quite well. That's a fact

The defense will be top 10 this year? Really?

Highly doubtful. Just switching from the Tampa-2 to a 3-4 and clicking your ruby slippers three times doesn't make a defense great. Kevin Williams is undersized for a NT. They are moving two DEs to OLB, moving former LBs back to DB, their best player wants special consideration where he only has to show up for games (and collect a check), the principles on pass defense are being turned upside down from lots of zone and off coverage to man. We could even throw in that our new defensive coordinator has held that post once before and was fired in favor of then recently fired Buffalo Bills head coach Gregg Williams.

I do hope that the defense starts to gel a bit over the course of the season, but the chances are very good that it will get off to a mistake filled start as guys who are playing out of position are learning under fire.

What the hell do those guys at ESPN and the NFL Network know?????????????????? They are dumb ass es. We here on the forum all know were on the right track to the playoffs. I say this year 9-7 or 10-6 with a playoff birth. I believe Chan Gailey is an "offensive Juggernaut" who will be unstoppable. This offense has a great chance to out perform the K gun days.

Thanks for the laughs. They were needed today. Nobodies on a fan(boy) forum know more than analysts on the NFL Network, Gailey a "offensive Juggernaut". Classic stuff <_<

We will win games because our defense will be much better, maybe top-10 or 12...and our running game will be one of the best we have seen in a long time, if our line shapes up right.

I think we will improve...maybe not in the win column, but certainly on the field and with overall talent and coaching!

I'm sorry but this is crazy talk. We don't have a true NT on the roster, we don't a 3-4 outside linebacker on the roster, and out defensive coordinator was about to be fired as a linebackers coach in Miami.

Maybe our draft class is a home run and the defense is competitivein 2011 but this talk of dominance is lunacy.

Let's just hope Carrington looks like the real deal and Troup proves he can play the nose at the NFL. That would be encouraging and realistic.

I don't disagree, but I think you understate the success of the good defense/running teams. Off the top of my head: Tennessee (best regular season record few years ago), NYJ (last year AFC champ game), MIA (playoffs/contending for playoffs over last several years), and NYG (Super Bowl season).

I believe, with some limited exceptions, that you need a franchise QB and great passing game to contend for a Super Bowl--but I see no reason why we couldn't win 10-11 games with a good defense/running game. And, having a winning season and making the playoffs is basically the only goal any Bills fan should have these days.

Actually, my goal is to have a team that is FUN to watch, and that means a good passing game (to me). And if they are fun, and have a good passing game, they will be on the path to at least accomplishing what you laid out.

This team has been one of the most boring sports teams for many seasons now. Sure some will point to the Pats game last season, or the Dallas game (both losses), but even these are once a year. Most Bills games are a snore.

Long winded, o.k., but my point was this - why does it have to be a passing league? Why can't it be a run league? Is it the rules that make it a passing league? Or, is it just that there are some really good QB's in the league right now? Still, if we don't have a good QB - and I hope one of ours turns out decent - then maybe we can be a winning team with a different formula?

Over the years, the blueprint for championship teams has changed. Running wins championships, defense wins championships and now passing wins championships. And it will stay that way until a team comes along and does it some other way, at which point everybody and their brother will analyze them to death and create the new blueprint for a championship team.

'Tis the nature of the beast.

Over the years, the blueprint for championship teams has changed. Running wins championships, defense wins championships and now passing wins championships. And it will stay that way until a team comes along and does it some other way, at which point everybody and their brother will analyze them to death and create the new blueprint for a championship team.

'Tis the nature of the beast.

When defenses get small and quick enough to counter today's multiple -WR looks, then we will go back to the defense wins championships axiom. At that point, the traditional blocking FB will appear again along with the running game. The smaller defenses will be overwhelmed.....and so the cycle will continue........

I was hoping we were going to get him. Guess I am a moron too.

Jason Campbell is no better than what we have now. And to be quite honest, I think Ryan Fitzpatrick has much more big play potential than Campbell. If Campbell was anything, why do you think the Skins traded for another overrated QB in Donavan McNabb? Did you watch the Bills-Redskins game in DC back at the end of 2007? Campbell was horrible that game. All he could throw was the 5-7 yard dump off to Chris Cooley. Give the negativity a rest MPL. (what kind of a user name is that anyways-do you love maple syrup or something?)

Just because we did not make any big splashs at QB or LT this offseason doesn't mean we can't have a solid offense. Spiller was the best running back hands down coming out in this years draft. Add him to an offense which was decent running the football with a MUCH BETTER offensive mind running the show, and we have the makings of a solid Offense. Between Shawn Nelson, Marcus Easley, Steve Johnson, and James Hardy, I believe we will have enough downfield size and speed to take some heat off of Evans. I think you are giving way too little attention to the atrocious scheme and play calling we had going on offense with Jauron, Schonert, and Van Pelt running things.

At the NFL level all the players are great athletes. The difference is how successful the scheme you are running is with the type of players you have. Give Gailey a chance. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rule #1 - Any commentator who says we should have brought in Campbell is a moron.

I don't agree with that 100%, but I will say this:

While Campbell probably has some skills missing in any QB on the Bills' roster, is he really a quality NFL starting QB? My guess is, the Bills FO doesn't believe he is. I also think it's become clear the Bills aren't looking to make big moves to simply upgrade the QB and LT positions by a small margin. If they aren't going to get the guys they actually think are going to be "the guy" they will concentrate on fixing positions with guys they think are quality starters.

As long as they have a plan to address QB and LT I'm OK with that philosophy.