Opinion on Schobel

Doesn't really say too much about the player. He was productive, actually our best DE, by default.

Can't really remember him getting that many game changing sacks. His sacks usually came in bunches

at times they did not really matter.

Not saying he was great, but better than anything we have now to rush the passer. A good player and teamate. We'd be better off with him, but it's done and we have to see what the kids can do. Time to move on.

So much has been said about his "leadership" by those who wouldn't have a clue in the world s to what Aaron meant to his team mates. Not a single clue. Schobel was clearly our best player (by far) over the past nine years.

Now with Gailey and the switch to a 3-4, Aaron's loss my be minimized, but it doesn't change the fact that over the years of his career he was a very talented player.

With that said however, if he decides that he wants to play this year, it should be with Buffalo......no trade, ever...(unless someone foolishly is willing to give us a first or second for him).

Schobel: good pass rusher, pretty good at coming from the backside or going down the line to make plays against the run, often got blown out when run plays went right at him, his looping pass rush made him vulnerable to draw plays.

overall an asset but there was weaknesses in his game that an offense could take advantage of.

If Schobel was a team leader then a leader by example, not a rah rah guy or a take a rookie under his wing and show him the ropes type of guy.

conditioning: Schobel has looked in very good shape the last two years, but the two years before his injury while I can't attest to his conditioning he was running around with a Buddha belly.

If the Bills were still playing a 4-3 and contending for a play off spot his retirement/trade/cut would be a big blow but as it stands it probably helps in the long run to get a young guy reps in the OLB position- if you can get a 6th or better from Houston then make the trade.

I think at this point in his career all he wants is a SB ring.

He is pulling a Michael Strahan / Brett Farve, best player by far on the defense...why does he need another long hot training camp.

how can you say that? AS has made it clear from the beginning it's about being with his family and has said repeatedly that he only wants to play for the Bills. The reference to Houston was about where else would he consider playing, he said Houston because it's close to his home and he knows Bill Kollar, the line coach.

Yes, training camp is a turn off for him, but it's not about being on a championship team.

Schobel says he is not coming back. I'm really not all heartbroken about this. I think Schobel was a solid player in the mold of Phil Hansen but Phil Hansen had much more impact because Bruce Smith was on the other end. Schobel's career is equivalent to Phil Hansen WITHOUT Bruce Smith. Schobel didn't put fear into opposing teams like Bruce Smith did. Of course not many players do and the players who do likely end up in the Hall of Fame like Bruce.

Schobel put up some decent numbers but IMO a lot of his play/sacks didn't change the outcome of many games nor did his play elevate the play of the other players on the defensive line.

I'll miss Schobel for his solid play and great work ethic. Give me 11 Schobel's on defense or just 1 Bruce Smith. But with one Schobel......ho-hum...boring...but steady.

What do you think?

I'll take 1 Bruce Smith and go from there. Don't want 11 Schobels, the D would be significantly better than it is now, but you'll never win anything big with no true impact players on D..