Trent Dilfer on Trent Edwards:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was JP Losman?

He was better than Trent Edwards, which isn't saying a whole lot. The funny thing is that there are still a lot of fans still willing to buy into the ridiculous "cry me a river" excuses for Trent's bad play where they were mocking Losman supporters for hanging onto the dream for far too long. I admit I was wrong about Losman's ability to be a successful NFL starter. It's time for the Trent supporters to give it up already. The guy flat out sucks whether he were being coached by Dick Jauron or the best coach in the league.

From our friend, Tim Graham at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...dwards-believer

"I think Trent was victimized by a lack of support and talent that was overestimated," Dilfer said. "The offensive line was pathetic. The offensive system was as poorly coached as any system in the NFL.

"He's the exact opposite of what Mark Sanchez has had in terms of a structure in place."

Yes Trent Dilfer, Only has a ring because of the greatest single season Defense to ever step on a field. The guy was worthless as a QB and is worthless as an analyst.

How was JP Losman?

Bill, Todd collins, Billy joe hobag, Doug Flutie, RJ, JP, Edwards...NONE should have ever STARTED for the Buffalo Bills.

Since 1996 all we have done is parade out 3rd Tier Talent and one washed up former probowler (Bledsoe) to try and be a starter on this team.

Until the brain trust goes out and gets a top notch talent back behind Center, we are going to continue to struggle.

First off I want to say I have allot of respect for the rabbit and his observations are normally right on.

Having an OC who understands the situation with our inexperienced O-line and knows how to call a game accordingly will make a huge difference though in my opinion.

Did the first game against New England last year seem like we had problems with our O-line? Well it was the only game last season that had a proper game plan thanks to Turk Shonert.

Thanks dog, I just don't see how play calling alone is going to help the team throw while the QB is getting killed.

Anyway, Turk Schonert was an idiot, Alex Van Pelt called the plays in that game against New England., its why AVP still has a job in the NFL and the :devil: is playing golf. The Bills couldn't run the ball in the 4th QTR to control the clock against the Pats and suffered the loss for it.

The Bills played very well offensively at times against NE in that opener, lets not forget that Bill Belichick's forte is game planning another team "after" watching tape on them, he made adjustments during the game.

The Bills ran lots of successful screen plays and Edwards made a few first downs by running. It looked like a jailbreak many many times and the Bills had a decent play called against it.

Trent Edwards played pretty sharp most of that game because he hadn't taken a brutal pounding in previous games. Lets not forget that on the second to last play of that game Edwards was sacked for a big loss and Bell allowed that sack, that spin move by TBC owned Bell.

Dilfer has rightly or wrongly always tended to lead the defense of struggling NFL QBs. Not surprising in the least given his own experience and career in the NFL. It doesn't make him an idiot any more than any other die-hard homer. Who knows about the future, but Edwards has shown some flashes of ability to move a team between the 20s in the past.

"I think Trent was victimized by a lack of support and talent that was overestimated," Dilfer said. "The offensive line was pathetic. The offensive system was as poorly coached as any system in the NFL.

"He's the exact opposite of what Mark Sanchez has had in terms of a structure in place."

I think Dilfer said it perfectly. How the hell could anyone have success with this supporting cast? Trent can win with some help and some time to throw. You would check down to if the pocket caved like it does for him. Not sticking up for him and I have been critical of him as well but that's what I see.

That first statement about Tennessee kinda destroys your credibility...

RT David Stewart 15 GS- 6 years exp

LT Michael Roos 16 GS -6 years exp -pro bowler

C Kevin Mawae 16 GS 15 years 8 time pro bowler

LG Jake Scott 16 GS - 7 years exp

RG Eugene Amano 15 GS-7 yrs exp

The above players who played all 16 games took 1039 game snaps, this 2009 offensive line was second in the NFL in allowing sacks, at just 16 sacks...

Chris Johnson did have a 2k yd rushing season, but just think how well Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch could do with the blocking that Johnson got. Not to mention how well Trent Edwards would play if he was behind that O line.

Also, its doubtful he suffers his second concussion in two years playing behind that Tenn O line, instead he played behind an inept, inexperienced, below average ability line, and on a team with a rookie game planner / play caller.

Now, even if chan gailey was the most brilliant play caller in the NFL or the most brilliant QB coach in the NFL, exactly how does that equate to giving the QB more then 3 seconds to throw the football?

You missed my final paragraph, obviously, and perhaps you should take a little more time to settle down and breathe before you post.

If you go back and re-read my last paragraph, I state that an offensive line is exactly what we need. With the exception of Wood and maybe Levitre, the Bills don't have much where it counts.

And if you don't think that the speed burst and escapability of Chris Johnson does not make the job of run blocking easier for the Titans offensive line, then man, speaking with you is really for moot.

both sides of this post are a joke. Not a single person here has worked in any front office or on the field for a NFL team. Whoever posted about players commenting on how mental toughness and player conditioning has been seriously lacking for the past decade was right on...and thats about the only person. Is Trent a great QB, not that we have seen...Can he be, we have seen him play some great games and really shine at times so I say yes...Under the right coaching!

If your going to try and say that Dicks complete lack of competativeness, the differences between Schonert and Dick during Trents begining years, and the F@ck up of everything that went down last year hasn't negatively impacted Trent's confidence and performance than I would say your crazy. Im not syaing that its and excuse for Trent by all means, but I feel he was doomed from the start under that coaching regime.

The Strength and Conditioning (or lack there of) from last year was middle school compared to what Gailey is expecting from these guys now. Watch the OTA's highlights, everyone says they haven't worked this hard since college or Rookie year...Everyone! Up the strength and conditioning and we lose less players to IR. I agree the offensive line struggled last year but there are too many factors to judge why that happen. One could be ignorant and blame it on lack of talent but look at the first few weeks last season and it wasn't that bad considering they were for the most part all rookies for the position they were playing...then we got hit by the injury bus and had to start pulling guys off the street.

All I'm saying is I don't think we can judge any position/player based on the last couple years performances. At least give it till preseason to see what chan can do with these guys. If he can make Trent look half as good as he did Thigpen (add in Freddy, Lynch, and Spiller to that) then I think we will have a good chance at competing within our devision for the first time in...way too long.

catch you at the opener

I think that is a fair point. And, lets be real, no one wants Trent to succeed more than Bills fans. If our hole at QB could be miraculously filled, it would be wonderful. Going into draft day 2011 with the sole goal of filling out our O-Line would be quite the luxury. And I agree, the entire system last year was garbage. Looking at how Gailey and Nix have run the team so far and makes it even more apparent how unfit Jauron was for the job of HC. Having a no huddle offense with a rookie offensive line was crazy. Having a 3rd year QB running the no huddle was just as crazy. Trent had a different O-coordinator every year. And last year Schonert got dismissed a week before the season started. AVP, was an average QB coach and had no business calling the offensive plays.

That being said, Trent needs to accept some of the responsibility. His inability to throw down field cannot be understated. And his unwillingness to throw into traffic is equally troubling. That is not stuff that can be coached. That is all instinct.

So, while I would love to see Trent succeed, and I think the coaches are going to give him every opportunity to take the starting job.... I won't be sold until he can cosistently make NFL throws. You can blame his failures on the coaches all you want. But a good number of players were not sold on Trent either. So there is more to the story than just bad coaching.

let's hope so and that the problem is corrected now. If edwards does good things this season, we might actually have a team.

We now have a coach that can help develop a QB...something we haven't had in a long long time. IF the line can pass protect, and Edwards stinks this year, then stick a fork in him. The O-Line's ability to pass protect remains a huge question mark at this point.

I think that is a fair point. And, lets be real, no one wants Trent to succeed more than Bills fans. If our hole at QB could be miraculously filled, it would be wonderful. Going into draft day 2011 with the sole goal of filling out our O-Line would be quite the luxury. And I agree, the entire system last year was garbage. Looking at how Gailey and Nix have run the team so far and makes it even more apparent how unfit Jauron was for the job of HC. Having a no huddle offense with a rookie offensive line was crazy. Having a 3rd year QB running the no huddle was just as crazy. Trent had a different O-coordinator every year. And last year Schonert got dismissed a week before the season started. AVP, was an average QB coach and had no business calling the offensive plays.

That being said, Trent needs to accept some of the responsibility. His inability to throw down field cannot be understated. And his unwillingness to throw into traffic is equally troubling. That is not stuff that can be coached. That is all instinct.

So, while I would love to see Trent succeed, and I think the coaches are going to give him every opportunity to take the starting job.... I won't be sold until he can cosistently make NFL throws. You can blame his failures on the coaches all you want. But a good number of players were not sold on Trent either. So there is more to the story than just bad coaching.

As much as I agree with this b/c lets face it, its the truth...I am hopefull when I see OTA Highlights and here that Trent is hitting guys across the middle and has been throwing downfield. Not saying its a sign of the second coming of Trent Edwards (not sure when the first one was) but it is atleast good to hear.

I'm just an optimist which you kinda have to be to enjoy being a fan of this team because if your not then you will just be depressed for the entire 16 weeks of regular season. I am just hopeing that these two aspects of Trent's game that he struggles with were a result of his crushed confidence that came from a bullsh@t HC that never once showed any confidence in him.

Good points tho, nice to hear something from someone who isn't a negative nanny

you can coach instinct. its simply a matter of him seeing his reads, and trusting what he sees. just because he didnt feel comfortable, or the throws werent there, doesnt mean it cant happen in the future.

We have a trading chip who will be moved for McNeill or Gaither. I am hearing Lynch is gone.

I think Dilfer is absolutely correct. When he first started playing for us, we all saw it: The efficiency, the accuracy, the control of the huddle. I recall after the SD victory teammates were so high on Trent they couldn't say enough good things about him. Then he got hit, and hit badly, and wasn't quite the same due likely to a combination of the hit, the OLine, the playcalling, and the coaching. Trent's regression, and our frustration with him the last 2 seasons, is due to his level of coaching over that period. We had a first time offensive coordinator the first year of his struggles, and HIS ASSISTANT running it the next.

Now don't get me wrong, I have always like AVP. But if you don't think he was over his head and out-classed in terms of strategy, playcalling, and gameday tactics, you're probably a member of the Van Pelt family. Worse, Jauron didn't even give Trent a dedicated QB coach. AVP was preparing and running the offense and serving as QB coach. No QB in the league had LESS COACHING, LESS attention to detail paid to his work on the field.

Trent was at a RIDICULOUS disadvantage over the past 2 years. I still believe Trent is a good quarterback and will prove himself to be the best of our current lot.

You missed my final paragraph, obviously, and perhaps you should take a little more time to settle down and breathe before you post.

If you go back and re-read my last paragraph, I state that an offensive line is exactly what we need. With the exception of Wood and maybe Levitre, the Bills don't have much where it counts.

And if you don't think that the speed burst and escapability of Chris Johnson does not make the job of run blocking easier for the Titans offensive line, then man, speaking with you is really for moot.

I did read the final paragraph and you did make some good points about upgrading the line and who to bring in. :devil:

My problem was that you opened your post by stating that "The Titan offense is a joke without Chris Johnson." Which is not exactly true now is it, considering that line only allowed 16 sacks all season. Not to mention that they have several decent veteran blocking/ receiving tight ends as well.

Chris Johnson is a special back no doubt, but to state that the entire Titan offense is a joke without him is simply lame IMO. The Titans only went 8-8 in 09, so that 2000+ yards rushing and escape-ability didn't propel them into a superbowl now did it?- they went 13-3 in 08, and 10-6 in 07 without Chris Johnson.

You can drink the Chan Gaily kool-aid and think that Spiller will make an impact much the same way Chris Johnson did for the Titans, I don't think he will...not unless the Bills can import the entire Tennessee O line :unsure:

You can take either take offense to this post or answer my original question...

Now, even if chan gailey was the most brilliant play caller in the NFL or the most brilliant QB coach in the NFL, exactly how does that equate to giving the QB more then 3 seconds to throw the football?

I think Dilfer is absolutely correct. When he first started playing for us, we all saw it: The efficiency, the accuracy, the control of the huddle. I recall after the SD victory teammates were so high on Trent they couldn't say enough good things about him. Then he got hit, and hit badly, and wasn't quite the same due likely to a combination of the hit, the OLine, the playcalling, and the coaching. Trent's regression, and our frustration with him the last 2 seasons, is due to his level of coaching over that period. We had a first time offensive coordinator the first year of his struggles, and HIS ASSISTANT running it the next.

Now don't get me wrong, I have always like AVP. But if you don't think he was over his head and out-classed in terms of strategy, playcalling, and gameday tactics, you're probably a member of the Van Pelt family. Worse, Jauron didn't even give Trent a dedicated QB coach. AVP was preparing and running the offense and serving as QB coach. No QB in the league had LESS COACHING, LESS attention to detail paid to his work on the field.

Trent was at a RIDICULOUS disadvantage over the past 2 years. I still believe Trent is a good quarterback and will prove himself to be the best of our current lot.

This is much the camp you will find me in -- many of these "uncorrectable" mistakes have gotten worse, so why cant they get better? These instincts can only deteriorate, they cant be improved? makes little sense to me. Will he succeed is a whole different question then does he have the baseline tools that are needed. I think he certainly has those. Hes smart, hes physically strong enough to play, but will everything come together? we will see.

I did read the final paragraph and you did make some good points about upgrading the line and who to bring in. :devil:

My problem was that you opened your post by stating that "The Titan offense is a joke without Chris Johnson." Which is not exactly true now is it, considering that line only allowed 16 sacks all season. Not to mention that they have several decent veteran blocking/ receiving tight ends as well.

Chris Johnson is a special back no doubt, but to state that the entire Titan offense is a joke without him is simply lame IMO. The Titans only went 8-8 in 09, so that 2000+ yards rushing and escape-ability didn't propel them into a superbowl now did it?- they went 13-3 in 08, and 10-6 in 07 without Chris Johnson.

You can drink the Chan Gaily kool-aid and think that Spiller will make an impact much the same way Chris Johnson did for the Titans, I don't think he will...not unless the Bills can import the entire Tennessee O line :unsure:

You can take either take offense to this post or answer my original question...

I might be wrong here so correct me if I am...If we are still struggling on the line by the season start, I think he will run a simliar offense as he did in KC, the Pistol I think it was called. I think its a three step drop with added protection from two backs. It should also protect him better from the left which is currently everyone's gripe at the moment.

And I know this isn't the answer to everything but if you have a strong consistent running threat, it opens up the passing game. and if you have two backs (spiller, jackson) that can make plays after the catch, a dump off is equally threatening.