Trent Dilfer on Trent Edwards:

From our friend, Tim Graham at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...dwards-believer

"I think Trent was victimized by a lack of support and talent that was overestimated," Dilfer said. "The offensive line was pathetic. The offensive system was as poorly coached as any system in the NFL.

"He's the exact opposite of what Mark Sanchez has had in terms of a structure in place."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From our friend, Tim Graham at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...dwards-believer

"I think Trent was victimized by a lack of support and talent that was overestimated," Dilfer said. "The offensive line was pathetic. The offensive system was as poorly coached as any system in the NFL.

"He's the exact opposite of what Mark Sanchez has had in terms of a structure in place."

the entire problem with trent edwards was not his arm, checkdowns, decision making, fragility, or accuracy, it was a terrible case of the jaurons

let's hope so and that the problem is corrected now. If edwards does good things this season, we might actually have a team.

How can the problems be corrected when the O line is still a big a question mark as it was last season, or even more so?

Show me the difference between dickhead jauron and chan gailey, both ignored the most important position on the O line in the draft and free agency at left tackle. Now this new butthead coach is trying something even more stupid then Jauron did, and that is to get a 7th rounder coming off a torn ACL to hold down the left tackle position. Wood is coming off a severe leg injury and is also a big question mark.

The only player to play all 16 games last season did so with a bad back, so wtf does anyone know if he can sustain another 16 game season with his back problems?

If you just look at the problems this team had last year with the offensive line and they have 3 players returning from injuries that they may or may not completely recover from. Then they have another scrub veteran they got from the Raiders, as if Langston Walker wasn't bad enough.

chan gailey might know how to run an offense better then jauron, but he sure doesn't have a clue how to build an O line if he is following the same road jauron took.

Now, explain to me how the QB's will get better playing for gailey when they won't have time to throw or adequate protections, just like last season

How can the problems be corrected when the O line is still a big a question mark as it was last season, or even more so?

Show me the difference between dickhead jauron and chan gailey, both ignored the most important position on the O line in the draft and free agency at left tackle. Now this new butthead coach is trying something even more stupid then Jauron did, and that is to get a 7th rounder coming off a torn ACL to hold down the left tackle position. Wood is coming off a severe leg injury and is also a big question mark.

The only player to play all 16 games last season did so with a bad back, so wtf does anyone know if he sustain another 16 game season with his back problems?

If you just look at the problems this team had last year with the offensive line and they have 3 players returning from injuries that they may or may not completely recover from. Then they have another scrub veteran they got from the Raiders, as if Langston Walker wasn't bad enough.

chan gailey might know how to run an offense better then jauron, but he sure doesn't have a clue how to build an O line if he is following the same road jauron took.

Now, explain to me how the QB's will get better playing for gailey when they won't have time to throw or adequate protections, just like last season

I must commend you on an abolutely "dead on" post. I couldn't agree with you anymore. I have been saying very similiar things on my post and getting "roughed up" by all the optimist here. Just wanted to let you know that your post is brutally honest and upfront. I have been telling the optimistic posters to stop leaving in Fantasyland. Maybe your post will wake some people up.

Briefly my take: Poor OL, Poor QB, and Poor WR. Equals poor offensive results. Teams are going to stack the box and run blitz to take away our running game. Then they will cover all the short and intermediate routes forcing us to beat them in the medium to long passing game. Our QB/OL/WR will not be able to produce. Gailey is an offensive upgrade but unfortunately he doesn't put on the pads. He is only as good as the players he has. What I think fans fail to realize is at Dallas he was somewhat successful. In Dallas, he had talanted players so he was able to produce. In Buffalo, who are his talanted players? Lee Evans and thats about it IMO. I know he had some success with Thigpen and Stewart...

The only player to play all 16 games last season did so with a bad back, so wtf does anyone know if he can sustain another 16 game season with his back problems?

I think the general idea is that Chan can do what Juaron couldnt, and thats make things work with what is there. He put up rather impressive numbers with a 3rd string qb in KC, so the idea is he can create an offense that can make up for what it is lacking personel wise.

Guest dog14787
I must commend you on an abolutely "dead on" post. I couldn't agree with you anymore. I have been saying very similiar things on my post and getting "roughed up" by all the optimist here. Just wanted to let you know that your post is brutally honest and upfront. I have been telling the optimistic posters to stop leaving in Fantasyland. Maybe your post will wake some people up.

Briefly my take: Poor OL, Poor QB, and Poor WR. Equals poor offensive results. Teams are going to stack the box and run blitz to take away our running game. Then they will cover all the short and intermediate routes forcing us to beat them in the medium to long passing game. Our QB/OL/WR will not be able to produce. Gailey is an offensive upgrade but unfortunately he doesn't put on the pads. He is only as good as the players he has. What I think fans fail to realize is at Dallas he was somewhat successful. In Dallas, he had talanted players so he was able to produce. In Buffalo, who are his talanted players? Lee Evans and thats about it IMO. I know he had some success with Thigpen and Stewart...

First off I want to say I have allot of respect for the rabbit and his observations are normally right on.

Having an OC who understands the situation with our inexperienced O-line and knows how to call a game accordingly will make a huge difference though in my opinion.

Did the first game against New England last year seem like we had problems with our O-line? Well it was the only game last season that had a proper game plan thanks to Turk Shonert.

I really think they will do something about LT (or least they still have time to and I hope they will), I am thinking they think RT will be ok, The x raider and the x greenbay guys might be good enough to step up. I don't see it with the left side. I am sure Chix see the problem and hope it is addressed somehow.

I could see the same kinds of problems with the D line if ppl don't convert well honestly

First off I want to say I have allot of respect for the rabbit and his observations are normally right on.

Having an OC who understands the situation with our inexperienced O-line and knows how to call a game accordingly will make a huge difference though in my opinion.

Did the first game against New England last year seem like we had problems with our O-line? Well it was the only game last season that had a proper game plan thanks to Turk Shonert.

Having an OC who understands the situation with our inexperienced O-line and knows how to call a game accordingly will make a huge difference though in my opinion. I do believe there is some truth to your statement. However, I strongly believe coaches need players to be effective. IMO, Chan is only going to be able to go so far this this less than adequate offense. Kinda like a great jockey riding a sub par horse. The horse isn't going to win even though he has the best rider on him becuase he just isn't good enough. Too many holes for Chan to overcome. Very weak OL, very weak QB, and very weak WR (except LEE). I like your optimism and I hope your right. I would love to be wrong.

the entire problem with trent edwards was not his arm, checkdowns, decision making, fragility, or accuracy, it was a terrible case of the jaurons

The entire problem with Trent Edwards was Dick Jauron, huh? Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.

Let's be real here, Trent Dilfer is seriously one of the dumbest NFL analysts ever (and dumb NFL analysts are in abundance). So Trent Edwards is a freaking victim now? He's the biggest wuss to ever wear a Bills uniform and we fans supposed to look at him as a victim now? Give me a break.

Trent sucked under Turk too.

Guest dog14787
The entire problem with Trent Edwards was Dick Jauron, huh? Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read here.

Let's be real here, Trent Dilfer is seriously one of the dumbest NFL analysts ever (and dumb NFL analysts are in abundance). So Trent Edwards is a freaking victim now? He's the biggest wuss to ever wear a Bills uniform and we fans supposed to look at him as a victim now? Give me a break.

No huddle with inexperienced O-line, DJ muzzles an already primitive offense, fires the OC 1 week before the season starts running a system which originated from a failing offense to begin with passed down through the ranks of unqualified and inexperienced. We had a glorified marketing director running the show and I could go on and on.

Give me a break :lol:

Let's talk serious, OK? I never thought Losman was a good quarterback, but to think that he wasn't hindered by Jauron would render me naive. In 06, the OL was a crying shame. Losman was young and in need of help so Levy/Jauron ran out and drafted Whitner, Youboty and Ko Simpson with early picks. Then, they installed a dumb offensive system (not to say that a good one would have worked with no blocking).

Last season, the Bills traded away a very good Left Tackle and replaced him with a rookie Left Guard. Again, here was a young qb needing help. Really, do you think that Jauron did anything to build a powerful, balanced offense in 4 years? This is not to say that Edwards is great, or even good. What it does say is that any quarterback would suffer due to the idiocy of Levy/Jauron, and I exclude not one qb in the NFL. If anybody thinks that Petyon Manning would have been half as effective on this team, sorry but imo you are crazy.

No huddle with inexperienced O-line, DJ muzzles an already primitive offense, fires the OC 1 week before the season starts running a system which originated from a failing offense to begin with passed down through the ranks of unqualified and inexperienced. We had a glorified marketing director running the show and I could go on and on.

Give me a break :lol:

There was a time when the majority of fans here were screaming at me for excoriating Dick Jauron's head coaching skills and cried about how he really was a good coach but the poor guy was being victimized by having bad talent. How'd that one turn out? So now we have to endure the Trent Edwards is a victim card???? Please, enough already. I can understand Dilfer's comments because first, he's an idiot, and second, he's probably watched at most two or three Bills' games with Trent Edwards as our QB.

Both Jauron AND Edwards sucked and neither should have any business being in the league with any important roll of note.

Well, improved running back talent and depth, for starters. That's even without Lynch. I'll point to Tennessee as a perfect example. The Titan offense is a joke without Chris Johnson. The speed with which he hits a hole and his home run threat every time he gets the ball makes every one better and forces defenses to respect the offense. We now have a similar threat in CJ Spiller. And don't underestimate our undrafted signing of J. Bell, and our free agent from Indy.

Another is coaching philosophy. We've had some real bozo's in here the past decade, but for once I don't get the impression that Gailey/ Nix/ Whaley are in that class. Gailey has a track record of building an overall offensive philosophy around the talent and abilities of his players. Case in point: Thigpen looked like a Pro Bowler in KC when Gailey was there. Now he's a 3rd stringer in Miami? An improved offensive plan, as mentioned by Dilfer, is going to be an improvement. A philosophy, an identity will go a long way to getting Trent back some confidence. Like he said last year, there were times when he wasn't sure who was the boss as so many people were saying different things (Van Pelt, Mauron, Schonert, etc). Consistency in the play calling will go along way. Also the effect Gailey will have on overall team toughness and attitude will erase those 4th quarter quitters made famous by Club Mauron.

My final point is an improved and (finally) intelligent approach to strength and conditioning. One of the reasons the Bills trailed at the end of games was because other teams were just plain tougher and better conditioned. I won't get into it here, but books have been written about the mental toughness associated w/proper conditioning. I remember Patriot players quoting how they were never worried about the Bills have a lead over them because they knew we couldn't keep it. Granted, that was in the Robert Royal days. But how many times in the past decade have the Bills just been plain beaten? Quite a few. Alot of it can be traced to talent, but more recently I believe it can be traced to lack of NFL caliber strength and conditioning. Do I even need to mention all of the games lost due to injury of starting players?

But with all of that being said, I agree with you on the offensive line. Our best line prospect in some time- Eric Wood- gets injured last year w/a broken leg. I pray he returns to form. Green at RT seems like an upgrade we really need. Is he sensational? No. But for right now he's better than Bell or Meredith. I wish we could finally lose Chambers (he sucks so bad). Levitre plays w/fire and seemed to improve as the year went on. Our C is not amazing, but he held his own. IMO- we really need help at LT before the season starts. I heard about Gaither still being trade bait today even though he signed a tender. Now I read the LT Marcus McNeil of San Diego is not going to sign his tender, the Chargers will retract their offer, and he will sit out in favor of a long term deal from a club. I think the Bills would be excellent contenders for his services.

If we brought in a starting caliber LT like McNeil, I'd be happy.

Well, improved running back talent and depth, for starters. That's even without Lynch. I'll point to Tennessee as a perfect example. The Titan offense is a joke without Chris Johnson. The speed with which he hits a hole and his home run threat every time he gets the ball makes every one better and forces defenses to respect the offense. We now have a similar threat in CJ Spiller. And don't underestimate our undrafted signing of J. Bell, and our free agent from Indy.

Another is coaching philosophy. We've had some real bozo's in here the past decade, but for once I don't get the impression that Gailey/ Nix/ Whaley are in that class. Gailey has a track record of building an overall offensive philosophy around the talent and abilities of his players. Case in point: Thigpen looked like a Pro Bowler in KC when Gailey was there. :lol: Now he's a 3rd stringer in Miami? An improved offensive plan, as mentioned by Dilfer, is going to be an improvement. A philosophy, an identity will go a long way to getting Trent back some confidence. Like he said last year, there were times when he wasn't sure who was the boss as so many people were saying different things (Van Pelt, Mauron, Schonert, etc). Consistency in the play calling will go along way. Also the effect Gailey will have on overall team toughness and attitude will erase those 4th quarter quitters made famous by Club Mauron.

My final point is an improved and (finally) intelligent approach to strength and conditioning. One of the reasons the Bills trailed at the end of games was because other teams were just plain tougher and better conditioned. I won't get into it here, but books have been written about the mental toughness associated w/proper conditioning. I remember Patriot players quoting how they were never worried about the Bills have a lead over them because they knew we couldn't keep it. Granted, that was in the Robert Royal days. But how many times in the past decade have the Bills just been plain beaten? Quite a few. Alot of it can be traced to talent, but more recently I believe it can be traced to lack of NFL caliber strength and conditioning. Do I even need to mention all of the games lost due to injury of starting players?

But with all of that being said, I agree with you on the offensive line. Our best line prospect in some time- Eric Wood- gets injured last year w/a broken leg. I pray he returns to form. Green at RT seems like an upgrade we really need. Is he sensational? No. But for right now he's better than Bell or Meredith. I wish we could finally lose Chambers (he sucks so bad). Levitre plays w/fire and seemed to improve as the year went on. Our C is not amazing, but he held his own. IMO- we really need help at LT before the season starts. I heard about Gaither still being trade bait today even though he signed a tender. Now I read the LT Marcus McNeil of San Diego is not going to sign his tender, the Chargers will retract their offer, and he will sit out in favor of a long term deal from a club. I think the Bills would be excellent contenders for his services.

If we brought in a starting caliber LT like McNeil, I'd be happy.

That first statement about Tennessee kinda destroys your credibility...

RT David Stewart 15 GS- 6 years exp

LT Michael Roos 16 GS -6 years exp -pro bowler

C Kevin Mawae 16 GS 15 years 8 time pro bowler

LG Jake Scott 16 GS - 7 years exp

RG Eugene Amano 15 GS-7 yrs exp

The above players who played all 16 games took 1039 game snaps, this 2009 offensive line was second in the NFL in allowing sacks, at just 16 sacks...

Chris Johnson did have a 2k yd rushing season, but just think how well Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch could do with the blocking that Johnson got. Not to mention how well Trent Edwards would play if he was behind that O line.

Also, its doubtful he suffers his second concussion in two years playing behind that Tenn O line, instead he played behind an inept, inexperienced, below average ability line, and on a team with a rookie game planner / play caller.

Now, even if chan gailey was the most brilliant play caller in the NFL or the most brilliant QB coach in the NFL, exactly how does that equate to giving the QB more then 3 seconds to throw the football?

Your post is excellent. It is as if this front office is oblivious to how bad the OL was last year. Thinking that Bell or anyone else currently on the roster is capable of playing the LT position at a high enough level is foolish. The raging debate over the starting qb position is fruitless because unless the OL is upgraded no qb will succeed.

Most people agree that not all needs were going to be met in one offseason. That doesn't necessarily mean that a glaring LT hole can't be adequately be upgraded this year. If the front office can't get a long term solution at LT this year then they should be able to get a short term stop gap solution. Sticking with what we have (Bell) is a gamble with long term odds. Isn't it about time the qbs on this team had a fair chance to succeed instead of being constantly under siege?