Outside Linebackers

I do know that OLB are supposed to be quicker than ILB and should be better pass coverage guys as well in a 3-4, but what are some strategies Buffalo can use to help/protect their OLB's weaknesses and/or maximize their strengths?

Chris Kelsay wasn't a strong pass rusher in a 4-3. He is slow, and as a 3-4 he'll be further away from the ball. He won't be able to guard a running back, fullback, or tight end.

How is Kawika Mitchell in the areas of pass rushing and coverage ability?

Of course, I've read a lot of comments about hoping Maybin adjusts well to a 3-4; however, Maybin and Batten's lack of pro experience seems like a scary prospect for our other two OLB candidates.

Between two unprovens and two players with suspect pass rushing and coverage ability (in my opinion), I just don't see how the Bills defense has improved.

It seems like we are taking two steps back to move step-by-step forward in the future. I'm okay with that. I'm just wondering how the OLB's fit in a 3-4 considering the team personnel.

Please explain OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

Good question,

My opinion is that some of the OLB's might be used in pass rush situations. We can line them up away from contacts to get more speed around the edge, we could also move them around the defense. this might help guys like schobel, maybin and kelsey. I too am concerned about pass coverage.

This position is a significant weakness on this roster. DE's dont just standup and become good OLB's, they arent close to the same position.

Well, teams have had their DEs bounce back into LB position for years. You do it from time to time, to present a problem for the opposing OL and QB, get them guessing. It's one of a sharp DC's weapons. You don't see a lot of this on 1st and 10. Certainly the game time and the score differential can modify that. But generally - if my QB is under center or even in shotgun and sees a DE creeping back on 1st down, he is free to change whatever play I called, and bark out a plunge or off-tackle run to whatever side the DE is dancing. If you do it on my line's strong side, shame on you. 2nd down and six or five to go is fine with me.

What's important is that if you want to jockey your DEs around, you devote practice time to it.

This position is a significant weakness on this roster. DE's dont just standup and become good OLB's, they arent close to the same position.

They're likely closer than you think. Guys always make that transition. How many 3-4 defenses are played in college football? Most 3-4 OLB's at one point or another were DEs.

I think a lot of it has to do with size. 4-3 defensive ends are often the same size as 3-4 OLB's and, certainly almost all the OLB's come from playing 4-3 ends in college. Anyway, we are looking to beef up our run D. Our secondary should do fine in man to man. I can't see our defensive coordinator or LB's coach going into the season just putting these guys on an island - I mean, they've got to understand their abilities better than us and also what it takes to be a dominant Defense in the NFL better than we do - so, I'm thinking we'll have a pretty solid Defense that wont be getting pushed around so easily anymore. I won't mind giving up a few passing plays if it means we can shut down the run game.

I think a lot of it has to do with size. 4-3 defensive ends are often the same size as 3-4 OLB's and, certainly almost all the OLB's come from playing 4-3 ends in college. Anyway, we are looking to beef up our run D. Our secondary should do fine in man to man. I can't see our defensive coordinator or LB's coach going into the season just putting these guys on an island - I mean, they've got to understand their abilities better than us and also what it takes to be a dominant Defense in the NFL better than we do - so, I'm thinking we'll have a pretty solid Defense that wont be getting pushed around so easily anymore. I won't mind giving up a few passing plays if it means we can shut down the run game.

One of the advantages of a 3-4 defense is that it allows better disguise of who may be pass rushing and gives more flexibility. Sure you still have 7 guys in the 1st 2 layers but it's easier for a 3-4 OLB to rush when there are only 3 down linemen in front of them vs an OLB in the 4-3.

As far as Kawika Mitchell, he's done an excellent job when blitzing.

They function more as pass rushers then run support. The NT's, DE's, and MLB's are the primary run stuffers while the OLB's are there to blitz/pass rush 1st and run support and drop into coverage second.

Maybin and Schobel are likely the best in this role although any guy we put out there is going to be a liability in coverage as all of our OLB's are converted DE's.

but this is more helpful: LINK <_<

Thanks, Big Cat. That's exactly what I was looking for. I usually don't miss too many articles on Rumblings, but I now have a better grasp of how the 3-4 will primarily work in Buffalo.

After reading the article, I think OLB will be the third biggest need behind LT and QB in next year's draft. Sounds like you can't have too many linebackers.

It depends on your personnel. Some teams use the weak side olb as a rush end, especially those with three larger linemen, a big olb, and three smaller, quicker inside linebackers. Jason Taylor fit that role.

When the steelers had 270 lb middle linebackers, they let the outside linebackers back off more and had the defensive ends rush to the outside, while the MLBs stunted.

More to your question, I have no idea how we can hide Kelsay out there, unless we rush him every down. He is slow, useless in space, and doesnt diagnose plays well. He is a good tackler, tall and takes on blocks fairly well. So in other words, he should be a left defensive end in a 4-3.

I predict he doesnt last long as the starter.

Yeah your are right it never works.

Signed, Charles Haley

you mean you're as you you are not the possessive your, right?

Despite all the above posts about guys out of college etc, look at our roster, and tell me you think Kelsay and Maybin are the solution at OLB. laughable.

I'm not saying it cant be done, it can, but in one season with the bills' personnel its going to be a rough transition.

They're likely closer than you think. Guys always make that transition. How many 3-4 defenses are played in college football? Most 3-4 OLB's at one point or another were DEs.

Like LT... Although he's managed to further tarnish his legacy unfortunately.

Add:

Mitchell, Poz and Davis are the best LB's on the team and I venture all 3 are average or above NFL LB's. They need to be on the field. Between Kelsey, Maybin, Batten and Coleman we'll get a solid guy for the other side. Hopefully there is some depth for inside on this list too as I am gravly concerned about what happens if Poz didn't take his boniva in the off season.

Why do people think Maybin is well-suited for 3-4 OLB? Because he sucked as 4-3 DE.

Honestly. There's no reason to believe he'll work out there. He hasn't played in space and is notoriously slow at picking up schemes and concepts. It's just that he was so undersized and overmatched at DE that he almost HAS to be better at a different position.

The same logic would apply if they moved him to Tight End.

"The biggest beneficiary of this move should be Aaron Maybin. His 6'4" frame and speed seems much better suited for tight end."

WAY too early to write this guy off, but let's just calm down and see what we get out of him this year.